Dr. Paine

Shattered Magic

user posted image

At Xylia's response, Talcore bowed his head slightly in her direction. He was never a very talkative wolf, nor touchy-feely. He had been concerned about her behavior, as even he found it peculiar, but he decided not to comment on it anymore. He did not want to be a factor to increase stress for the other winged wolf, as it appeared the Alphess was upon her arrival.

As Char spoke, Talcore blinked in surprise at her tone of voice. He kept to himself and angled his eyes away, not wanting to appear as a third wheel tho their little spat. Last thing he wanted to be was dragged into an immature fight between females. As long as neither of them was going to hurt the other, Talcore would not interfere.

It was when another wolf suddenly appeared on the scene that he lifted his head. He'd seen the wolf earlier, but the demeanor appeared to have changed completely. Talcore was regarding Jin with mild curiosity when the male angrily turned towards him and ordered him off.

Talcore had never been particularly sensitive or easily offended, but demand made him bristle. He stared at Jin for a long moment, the fur and feathers along his neck and backside raised in annoyance and offense. Though his lips twitched in the beginnings of a silent growl, he said nothing and instead turned to look to Char. "I will find the horses for you, madam," he said simply, loosening the wings from his side in preparation to take to the skies again. This would not be on Jin's order- Talcore found it difficult to think he would follow this Beta's orders anytime in the near future- but on his own accord in thanks for the hospitality the Alphas had eventually extended to him and Ronan.

Just as Talcore stepped aside, he noticed Jin and Xylia collapse on the ground as if suddenly losing consciousness. The warrior instinct in him was strong and he immediately glanced around, tense, as if thinking some outside source had affected them. However, after looking back down at the mated pair, he had a feeling whatever had happened was relatively...normal. For them anyways.

With no further comment, Talcore sprang gracefully into the air, spreading his massive wings wide as to not strike Char with the tip of his feathers. The gust from his wing strokes lightly buffeted the grass and wolves below him, but within moments he soared higher and was gliding towards the hills the horses had vanished over.

The higher he climbed, the easier it was to make out the scattered horse herd. The rain that drizzled down on him blurred their forms a bit, but the closer he drew to their vicinity, the faster he dropped. Soon enough, he could make out their details easily, and moments later one of the stallions noticed him arcing down towards them.

The animal gave a harsh whinny of warning towards Talcore, but the wolf was unfazed. He swooped low, passing the stallion dangerously close and snarling into his face. The horse reared back and struck out at him, but the wind of the storm lifted Talcore into the sky again and he maneuvered out of the way.

The mares were neighing in panic at his arrival and began to gallop in several different directions at once. Ignoring the stallion for now, Talcore dove down and glided quickly around the breast of a certain group. Fortunately for him, the mares immediately whirled around and started back the other way. With sharp barks and snarls, Talcore drove the fleeing herd back towards the packlands. Of course, he was sure not to push them in the same direction they came from- they were smart enough to figure out what he was up to. Hopefully, however, they would not see through his plan, but the longer he drove them, the harder the torrent of rain that poured down on him. If the hunters didn't see him soon, he would have to land out of exhaustion.

"That is ENOUGH!" Char bellowed, diving between Xylia and Jin, her teeth frozen over with wicked looking icicles from the humid air. She didn't care if it was her betas, she'd had enough. Enough of wolves that didn't listen to her or thought they knew better (even if they probably did, she had won the alpha's right!), enough of just not being able to control the situation present. Besides, she had to prove herself, and she wasn't getting anywhere trying to please every wolf, and if it wasn't working, then she wouldn't continue. It was her way, or get demoted- if not entirely kicked out of the pack.

--------------

Doug's ears went flat, and the white wolf seemed to shrink at Shadow's harsh tone. He paused on the path, only giving the slightest twitch when a few fat raindrops landed on his head.

"... because I feel every wolf is higher up than I am," he finally said, absentmindedly pawing at the ground. "Anyone who is willing to put up with me outranks me, and... well, I feel like I should do all I can for them and put them first."

Vheni

Vheni watched the camp in its activities, her eyes wide open, taking in every minuscule detail that happened to present itself to her. Vheni saw Dahyl with one of the newcomer wolves, talking animatedly. The newcomer said something, but Vheni could not hear any of their conversation, especially with her impaired hearing. Vheni shook her head and laughed sarcastically. What did she need to know from their conversation, anyway? Vheni looked away, looking at the other things that were going on around the camp. Artemis was sitting by herself, not with other wolves, which was strange, with her being the healer wolf. Didn't healer wolves always have something to do? Bored, Vheni glanced once more around the camp, then stood up.

Vheni stretched, her lean muscles visible for a moment, then she shook out her fur, the dust flying off of her coat in a cloud. Then she walked purposefully over to Dahyl and the newcomer. Dahyl she respected, for the she-wolf was the only fun play-fighting partner, and since Vheni had nothing to do, she might as well start meeting the numerous newcomers that had visited this camp in the past few days. As she got closer, she realized with a jolt that she recognized the newcomer from her nightly visions. Ronan was his name in her dreams. It was strange enough that she was having visions, but to have sights of a wolf that existed but she had never seen before was absurd. Suppressing her immediate reactions of curiosity and panic, Vheni strode over to the two wolves.

Vheni greeted Dahyl with a friendly wag of her tail, hoping that she wasn't intruding on something private. "Good day?" She said cheerfully to both Dahyl and the newcomer. "I had nothing to do, and I was wondering if I could join you guys, but I'll go away if you don't want me here."

Edited by sapphiredragon73

Jin

Jin was vaguely aware that Char had placed herself between the two of them... at the last second and one second too late. He was suddenly very happy that his power could only affect one other wolf at a time... or Char may have found herself in his head with Xylia.

His mind suddenly snapped back to the present as he felt Xylia's teeth sink into his shoulder and her spikes lash his neck. He also suddenly found his own teeth in her side... and he could taste her in his mouth... blood.

The pain was intense, doubly so because he could feel her own pain as well as his and he squinted his eyes against it. It rose above the emotions they were feeding one another and threatened to cause him to blackout... he suddenly seemed to realize what he was doing... what they were doing... and he removed his fangs.

Guilt washed over him like a wave of cold water, waking him from his emotional stupor. He closed his eyes, gritting against the pain in his body, and turned to whisper in Xylia's ear...

"I... love... you..." he breathed, speaking slowly against the pain. "Come back to me, this... is my fault. I want to make it right."

Char was still standing next to them, frozen in time, well actually it was the two of them frozen in time, which made everyone else appear that way. Once they had this resolved... he would have apologizing to do... to Char... to others... He could keep this up for another few minutes of null time before time would start passing again and the two of them would "wake up" back in the real world.

Maybe I should step down as Beta... his thoughts echoed as if he had spoken, sounding only slightly different from his voice. But Char needs us... me... us... but she doesn't need me like this... I've messed it all up haven't I... Oh Xylia... I'm sorry, I'm sorry I'm not a better mate, a better friend... You... are my priority, I promise.

Ronan

Ronan frowned as the rain began to fall. He hated being wet... although maybe he didn't hate it... he couldn't remember, it had been... years... since he'd been drenched in water before... maybe it wasn't so bad?

Either way... he knew he needed a bath, sand baths could only do so much... Reluctantly he let the sand slide off his body and onto the ground, it would only get wet and stick to his fur at this point anyway. Dayhl was saying something but he suddenly was distracted by the arrival of another wolf... oddly familiar.

He stared for a moment, not quite hearing what she had said. A name... a face... both in his mind seemed to fade in and out of memory... Veni! That was it, hard of hearing, he remembered her... sort of. Who was she again? Wait... why was she here? Congratulations Ronan you really are losing your mind... at this rate you'll be asking Talcore what YOUR name is...

"Are you... Veni?" He asked, curious at this point as to how he could know so many wolves in one place... and not remember exactly how he had known them or where they had been before.... he had found himself separated from them.

Vheni

Vheni stared in shock at the newcomer as he said the name that she was called in her dreams by the other wolves. How would he know? Were her night visions true, then, and had they really met? Or was this something that was all interconnected and she was overlooking? Could he see into her thoughts, then? Or was this another vision? Then Vheni realized she must be looking completely brainless, staring like she was and shook her head quickly, pushing the questions away. She looked back at the newcomer, whose name, then, must be Ronan, the sand-wolf from her dreams. This thought was emphasized as sand slithered off of the wolf and onto the ground.

Vheni flicked her impaired ear as a raindrop splashed onto it. She looked up at the sky, looking for a brief second at the drizzle. She didn't mind the rain... not much, anyway. It was useful for some things, and annoying at other times. She turned her head back toward Ronan. "Not really, you're saying it wrong," Vheni corrected him, "It's Vheni..." She paused for a moment before continuing carefully, "...you must be Ronan. How do you know my name?" It wouldn't hurt now to guess at the newcomer's name, would it? After all, he had known her name and she could have heard his from another wolf in the pack.

Xylia

When Xylia felt Jin's blood in her mouth, the mere taste of it brought her back to what was their reality at that moment. It shocked her, what she had done that was and when Jin pulled his teeth out of her shoulder, she closed her eyes against the torrent of emotions that had taken her over. It was horrible what she had done, acting like a child to the one wolf that meant the world to her. But she did. When he told her that he loved her, and told her that it was his fault, Xylia whined. Her head was immediately thrust under neath his own as she sat down in front of him a quiet whine escaping her every now and then as she tried to think of how to put her feelings into words. But before she could, Jin started saying the things that he had felt and was surprised to find that some of them were her own.

Instead of speaking which was something that they did every day, Xylia looked up at him and spoke with her mind as well.

No Jin. You shouldn't step down from being Beta. And it isn't all your fault. The blame should be shared between the two of us, not just loaded onto your shoulders. I am...I am learning how to handle things as I should as is Char. Right now, the only two that aren't learning out of the Alpha's and Beta's are Quince and his Beta. Char needs us like you said she desperately does until she finds a mate and then our duties will relax some. She rubbed her muzzle along his thick furry neck waiting for Char to explode into their minds demanding that they explain what was going on.

user posted image

"Brilliant. Deadly," she repeated, mostly to herself, as if mystified by what Ronan was describing to her. Her young tail wagged slowly as she envisioned the fearsome she-wolf, claws and fangs a beacon of death and pain. Although morbid, Dayhl found the scenario quite...pleasing. She was glad she reminded the sand-wolf of his Dael, and was determined to prove she could be like that wolf in the future. For now, though, she supposed she would just keep to her training, show the others that she could be great when she tried.

Shaede's name, however, invoked a peculiar reaction. The sound of it sent a tense thrill up her spin and she grew rigid, as if with fear, but the expression on her face was of shock and confusion. "Shaede is...real?" She said softly, weakly, blinking stupidly at Ronan in utter disbelief. Who was he? The Beta? Perhaps his power was to enter dreams, was that- No, this guy said he manipulated bones. Looking down now, she gazed at the fragmented bones she had been chewing on. The action had always given her a sense of comfort, but mainly because she had recalled images of a handsome male gnawing on them and felt a sort of kinship with the tattered wolf in her thoughts. But now... He was in love with the other Dael, she thought, hints of bitterness and disappointment lacing through her mind and her eyes. A bubble of anger at Shaede welled in her throat; it felt like betrayal to hear it from Ronan.

A low growl started in her throat and she furiously blinked away the hurt that threatened at the corner of her eyes. Instead, a dark resentment started to settle on her young features, and after a moment she looked back up at Ronan with a cold, piercing stare, completely reminiscent of her previous life. It was only when Vheni drew over did Dayhl's flashback seem to break, and slowly the darkness melted from her features and she smiled up at the other she-wolf. Vheni was one of the few, if not the only, wolf Dayhl's age that could stand to tussle with the darker yearling. All the other pups complained Dayhl was too rough, or that she would cheat with her poison. Of course, she always took precautions not to hurt anyone, though sometimes it was tempting and often she would threaten the others if they got annoying. So far, Vheni was a good wrestling partner; she didn't seem fazed at all about Dayhl's roughness. And likewise, Dayhl found delight in having such a wicked practice partner.

"Of course we want you here," Dayhl answered, wagging her tail in response. However, when Ronan suddenly said the other wolf's name- albeit slightly different- Dayhl frowned. What was with this wolf and his naming? Vheni's reaction was slightly bizarre, however, and the darker yearling observed her carefully. She remained quiet until Vheni spoke again, but this time, at Ronan's name, a strange face and voice suddenly floated through her head. "Roshan." She said aloud, only realizing a moment later that she had said the wrong name, and turned to glare at Ronan with puzzlement. Dayhl had no idea that Vheni had similar dreams and visions that she herself had, and the same was true in reverse. However, now she was completely intrigued by the whole phenomenon, and was determined to corner Vheni with questions later.

user posted image

Noting that the pups and the newcomer were rather occupied (and in Lucifer's opinion, being quite cryptic), the stark-white princess glanced back over at Ava, who had called her name moments before. She trusted that Kido- or whatever his name was- would be busied long enough for her to speak to the Beta, and so took leave from her spot nearby to stride gracefully over to the other female.

"Ava," Lucifer said calmly, her voice elegant and commanding. Although this was a natural tone of hers, some of the other wolves still found it...off putting. Her cobalt eyes blinked once before she bowed her head at the Beta she-wolf and continued, "Is there something I can do for you, or for Quince if he has requested such?" She glanced in the direction the Alphas had taken off, wondering briefly how the hunt was faring.

Ink followed the rest of the hunters to the horse heard, snaking along the ground. She stopped behind a rock, her dark form hidden from the horses. She smiled, a cruel smile in anticipation of the hunt. She peeked at the horses from behind the rock, and saw three fat mares standing a little ways away from the rest of the heard. They would be easy to split from the rest of the heard, and would give the pack plenty of meat. She was about to run at the heard, but before she could do so a dark shape swooped down from the sky. It attacked a mare, killing it brutally. The rest of the heard scattered, running over the hills. Stunned for a moment, Ink stared in shock at Xylia. Had she lost her mind? One mare, however fat, wouldn't be enough. Then she snarled, and darted out from behind the rock. The horses were in a panic now, streaking away over the hills. Ink ran to the top of the nearest hill, then the next one, then stopped. She was never going to catch up. She would only use more energy, which would make her hungrier. The best thing she could do for the pack was look for some rabbits or something, though if there would be any left after the stampede... then she looked up and saw another shape, not unlike Xylia, but white. Talcore flew through the air, off towards the scattered horses. She stayed where she was, until she saw the first few horses running down from the crest of a hill, a little ways away from the hill that Ink stood at the base of. Snarling and with renewed energy, Ink ran at the horses at an arc, so she would be able to catch the ones lagging at the back of the heard. Hopefully Talcore would be able to keep the horses going a little longer, long enough for Ink to reach them...

|Ava|

"Hm?" Ava blinked at Lucifer, really having no idea why she had come this way in the first place. What was she supposed to say? She'd only come over here because Quince hadn't given her anything to do and she'd done all her duties. With the hunting party gone, the warriors given assignments and the pup taken care of, Ava was really just looking for someone to talk too. "Oh, yes, yes, Lucifer, um..." she paused, mentally kicking herself for being so unprepared. She was not like this at all!

"How are you?" she suddenly asked, not knowing where that came from. Honestly, she wasn't sure how to just be casual with Lucifer. She was always so...regal and poised, two things Ava was not, so it was always much easier to speak to the she-wolf when she had a command or order to give. Could Lucifer even be easy-going? Ava didn't know! Ava suddenly straightened herself and stood as poised as she could manage, as she suddenly felt she must look like a disheveled pup against Lucifer. "I'm sorry, I have nothing to ask of you but a bit of conversation. Do you mind?"

'Would either of you like to explain what's going on?' Char said... or thought she said. She could hear her voice, but she wasn't speaking. She wasn't... was that a raindrop, frozen before her eyes? Her fur bristled with fear, she had no idea what was going on. Was it Jin's doing?

All her attempts at holding back her emotions began to fail. Or worked? However she thought of it, it had the result of her just feeling... numb. Empty. She didn't care any more, she just wanted to get the hunt over with and sleep. Or maybe rest and talk to Quince, a good leader didn't just sleep on the job...

Jin turned as Char's for moved again, having touched his aura. At first he felt upset, but quickly decided that it was good that she was here. In a time and place where they could talk... without being disturbed or wasting time.

Welcome to my world, Jin nodded respectfully to her. For the moment, you're trapped in my head, along with Xylia. Don't be afraid, nothing that happens here will affect you once I break the link. But all your emotions and your thoughts... will be heard even if you don't mean them to...

Jin paused, licking the blood off his fur before he... thought... again to the others. Char, Alpha, and my good friend. Xylia and I have to apologize for our behavior of late. At least I need to. The stress and responsibility is more than I had imagined. both regret and pain as well as humility rippled out from Jin's figure. We want to relieve your burden of being the new alpha, not make ti worse sincerity, respect, worry... On top of that I need to be a good mate to Xylia, love, joy, anxiety... You're a good-fit to be leader Char. And we're both glad to be your Betas. sincerity, joy, expectation... We're all tired, can't you feel it? Look at us... half dead on our feet and it's no good for anyone. Jin allowed his exhaustion to roll off him like a small tidal wave of emotional energy. We need to solve that problem before we lose it completely... Xylia and I were hoping to train some of the older, more sensible members of the pack to take over some of the supervising we do, having them report to us instead of constantly trying to be everywhere at once hope, exhaustion, faith... Xylia and I need time together, alone, it's very important to me. What can we do to solve this problem for all of us? uncertainty, willingness, sincerity.

Ronan

Ronan stared at Vheni carefully for a long minute as the rain quickly soaked his fur, causing the musculature of his frame to stand out and making him appear quite a bit smaller with his fur stuck to the curvature of his body because of the wet. She was about the age of Dayhl. They both seemed to have known him... somehow. She even guessed his name... though she could have overheard it. By the way she tilted her head he would even go so far as to say she had trouble hearing... just as she had when he had known her... an older and different her... but how different?

"Yes, it's Ronan I..." Then Dayhl said a name that stopped Ronan in mid speech... Roshan. The wolf had been his brother... he knew that, and he knew he had loved him dearly. The two of them had been close... but his brother was always obsessing about... something important... but something he couldn't remember for the life of him.

Ronan decided not to react to the name and continued to answer Vheni's question.

"I used to know you, yes I'm convinced I used to know you both... when you were older, and lived different lives." Ronan shrugged, "that sounds rediculous I know. But I do know you, or the you that used to be... before the incident when everyone vanished. Both packs, gone, and I found myself miles from where I had been, with no memory of what had happened to us. But I do remember your name, your face, your ear... from before you... were born." He suddenly smiled for the second time in the last two years and surprisingly the second time today... while he was wet no less!

"If you can solve that puzzle then you'll do better than I, I've wandered the desert for two years trying to understand it all and am only a little further towards the truth that I was when I first began."

"Roshan, Shaede, Dale, Veni, Shadow, Kane, Talea, Oksana, Pax, and many more, most of which I've never seen again. I knew you all... so why is it that I find you barely older than pups and when I've seen almost ten winters?" He shrugged, mostly thinking aloud. It only added further mystery to the strange happening that he had yet to explain or understand.

Edited by Rakashua

Vheni

Vheni cocked her ears forward as Ronan started to reply, but was distracted by Dahyl's whisper. "Roshan." The name struck a chord in Vheni somewhere, and she was struck by a wave of passion, longing, that she had never felt before. Then she froze in place, everything else obscured by another vision:

A young wolf stood in front of her, a scar over one of his eyes. He was telling her about battle tactics, how to kill someone in the quickest way possible. Of course, he was in her team, preparing for the battle against the Blessed. Then the vision went away as quickly as it had come. Vheni snapped back to the present, frightened that anyone had noticed her reaction, but only a second had seemed to have passed. Vheni murmured the word, "Blessed." It brought a sense of hatred on her, and a sudden impulse to tear something open with her jaws swept over her, and her eyes darkened, but that too passed in a flash. Confused at her reactions, Vheni pondered them for a bit before pushing them to the back of her mind.

Then Vheni remembered Roshan, this mysterious wolf that elicited such strong feelings in her. The faintest of whimpers escaped Vheni, and then she clenched her jaws. She was a warrior, and she would not show signs of weakness. Besides, no one could ever know that she had these visions at night. If they did, then they would label her insane, crazed. She listened distractedly as Ronan continued to answer her question. She flattened her ears as Ronan mentioned her disabled ear. "Who cares about my ear? If I can fight without it, that's good enough," She growled, but interrupted no more as Ronan talked about knowing her before she was born.

"Before... I was born?" Vheni murmured quietly, and then went silent again as Ronan stated a list of names. She knew all these names, and they were all from her... visions... What was this wolf playing at? Was he lying? But how did he know of these names from her visions?

Then Vheni's thoughts drifted to Dahyl. How did the dark yearling know of Roshan? How did she know Ronan? Then an insane thought struck Vheni. Perhaps... perhaps she was not alone, perhaps Dahyl was... Vheni immediately shook the thought from her head. However Dahyl knew, Vheni could never accuse another wolf of having the same dreams as she did. Yet something was strange here... Vheni decided to ask Dahyl about it later. She would need to, to make sense of her dreams.

Vheni's ear caught the last part of Roshan's statement, a question. She opened her mouth to answer, to tel him that she knew all these wolves too, but as she was about to speak, Vheni snapped her mouth shut again. Here she was, about to tell a complete stranger about her dreams. To cover up for her awkward action, Vheni replied roughly, "I don't know. If this all happened before I was born, how am I supposed to know?" She glared at Ronan in distrust, her old features more in highlight than before. Was this a joke? Dahyl seemed likewise confused, so she couldn't be in on it, could she? Vheni shook her head quickly, in a jerk, then regained her composure, looking once again like a pup. She looked up at Ronan, wondering what the heck was going on.

Xylia

Xylia tensed her wings rigid as she noticed Char appearing in their world. In a moment when she and her mate were trying to make amends with each other, why did she have to intrude? Frustration was evident in her emotions, but she quickly put a damper on it even though she watched Char very carefully while sitting down next to Jin.

What he spoke was true and reinforced his emotions with her own thoughts and emotions. When he was finished, Xylia thought that maybe she should speak as well. My actions were wrong Char...I have never had this much stress in my life and it took a toll on the way my mind reacts when I am going on a hunt. I already have trouble with that. But no matter the cause, it wasn't right for me to do that, and I apologize. The emotions that coursed through her were frustration towards herself and towards the situation in general, but not the wolves involved in the situation.

And what can we do? We can do as you and I have spoken Jin. Training others to aid us so we aren't harried. The days that Jin and I have a slightly less stressful day, are the days that you would have to work just as hard as you are now, and then the days that we have that are our working hard days, you get to relax and do whatever you wish. Firm will, and hope coursed through Xylia. She would have this work because she knew without a doubt that it would be the best thing for the entire pack.

Maybe, also, if there was a union between you and Quince, he could help manage things easily since he HAS been an Alpha for two years already. Her words were kind and gentle and spoken as a friend, not a subordinate.

She walked over to Char and rubbed her head along Char's as she allowed her respect, admiration, and worry for Char to go into the spanse around them. I don't want you harming yourself when there are ways to avoid such things...

Quince

Quince looked back at the bear which had seemed to have run off and decided to find out what was going on with the other two beta's that were around them. It was a strange prospect at having a Beta that snapped easily, however, they were all three very new to the job that he and Ava had been doing for two years, well, for her it was a year and a half or so. Still, something wasn't right. Anyways, there were still hunters out and he watched as some of them worked at getting another horse which was going to be good meat for the two packs since they shared a pile.

As he loped along, his long legs giving him lean speed, he found himself surrounded by his own wolves from his hunting pack. They seemed frustrated towards something and as he slowed down and stopped, the youngest of them walked up to him without any regard to his rank.

"Sir this has to end...the union. It is something that is hard for us."

Quince snapped at the younger wolf drawing a whimper from him as he stepped back intot he masses. "What I say goes. I have been Alpha for two years and I have watched as you have grown restless because there is peace in the land. Just because there isn't that much hardship, doesn't mean that you run away from the peace. The next wolf," he growled angrily his neon blue eyes glaring at each of them making them shrink, "that states that we should turn away from the peace and union of the two packs will feel my teeth and energy." he said which quickly silenced any sort of protesting.

"If you have any problems with it, then come to me yourself and with respect young wolf, or you will find yourself missing something." he stated to the wolf that had walked up to him. "I will listen to your complaints as I normally do, but do not forget that this was my decision and I will stand by it until I can see any reason not to."

As Quince began to run again, he heard the mumblings which brought him to a stop. "And if any of you try to harm the other wolves in the packs, I will attend to you personally along with Ava and Lucifer." Quince didn't turn around but the fir on his back rippled in unison with his words until he took off again in the direction of Jin, Xylia and Char's scent.

If rumor served correctly, the quiet nature of Lucifer seemed to make some wolves think that she was a terror within waiting to burst out and Ava, well, she was Ava and no one messed with her.

His paws quickly fell into a smooth beat as he crossed the plains to where the three formerly mentioned wolves were. There, in a pile, he noticed the two dark forms of Jin and Xylia and the light form of Char all piled around each other. His fur raised in fear of what might have happened as he approached cautiously.

((sorry it's so long!))

Words failed Char. She numbly accepted Xylia's touch, her eyes closed as some feeling finally came to her. Anguish, anger, acceptance, resignation... but some hope. Some determination.

A... a good plan, Char finally managed, opening her eyes and looking at her Betas. I think there's a few wolves in both packs who would be excellent for that. We can't keep operating under a basic pack mentality like this, anyway. Two betas aren't enough, nor even four. We need more to watch, to have authority if any original leader is unavailable.

She felt small now, weak and pathetic. Why hadn't she thought of that herself? It just made sense!

She shooed the thought from her mind, thinking on the other thing Xylia had said, something that had been on her mind for most of her waking hours.

And... the moment Quince and I are alone, I will talk to him about it. I wish I knew him better, but... well, I could do worse in a mate, she added, some amusement flowing from her. After all, it wasn't like Quince was the likes of Kiv. Quince was... good. Dedicated. And had leading experience, at the absolute least, she could certainly learn from him.

Ackecheta rolled over, orange fur gathering the dust and dirt that resided atop the old sun-dappled rock. A cold nose prodded his side, and he swatted with his paws, his eyes still shut. Then he was prodded again, though this time it was with someone's head, and he was pushed off the rock with force. Yelping as he made contact with the hard earth, Ackecheta shook himself off and glared with icy blue eyes at his sister, who sat with a slight grin on her lean muzzle. She met him on the ground, delicately bounding over to him, a sly look on her face. Ackecheta grumbled, and started to walk away from her, but she dashed in front of him, blocking him from moving forward with her body. Sighing, he shook his head in disbelief. He didn't have time for this, he should be finding out what had been going on while he was ...er... patrolling? Resting? Re-charging?

"I told you only to wake me up if something had happened. Well? Has something happened?" he asked drowsily, yawning. He wanted to curl back on that rock and close his eyes, soak up the warm rays of the sun while it was still out. And then a rain drop landed on his nose, resulting in his sigh and the drooping of his ears while his sister seemed to be excited.

"Well..." she said, pausing for emphasis, her eyes flicking back and forth as if she couldn't tell anyone else, "there are a few new wolves. They seem to know each other... and a few of our wolves too. And this is the best part. Kiv, you know Kiv? Either he's been demoted, or he's just being sent to the Omegas for the fun of it!"

Ackecheta didn't believe her. He pushed past her instead, and flicked his ears back, rolling his eyes. She seemed to lose energy and drag her feet behind him, huffing and puffing lightly so he might take notice. When he didn't, she walked a little ways off, stopped, and glared at him. He still didn't look at her, or stop, or really do... anything. He was just walking. Ackecheta shook his head again at her, before gaining speed. He was going to see Char, to find out if anything really had happened. He wouldn't believe it, his pack wouldn't just let in two wolves easily. They must've been something special if it was true, which he doubted that it was. The orange wolf's ears flicked forward as his icy blue eyes caught sight of Quince, and he bounded over quickly, but suddenly stopped. There, at Quince's feet were the bodies of Char, Jin, and Xylia. His ears pinned back against his head, and he crouched wary. Did Quince do this? Were they dead? Padding slowly forward, he kept his eyes on Quince.

"You... you didn't do this, did you? And I've been hearing some rumors... are there really two new wolves? And did Kiv really get demoted? I was... re-charging. I'm not sure if I can trust my sister or not," he chuckled, though he still seemed nervous as he dipped his head with respect to the alpha. Sitting down, he shook his head. No, Quince wouldn't have done this, it wouldn't make sense. I mean, it could, he had the motives, but Ackecheta was sure this deed hadn't been committed by Quince. What exactly had happened, anyway? Had they all spontaneously gone into a coma?

Aurora struggled against the wind, blinking tiny drops of water out of her eyes. Rain splashed against her already soaked fur and splashed on the ground. The water wasn't the problem- she loved water. It was the rain being driven into her face by the wind and the miles she had struggled already and the occasional tears mixing with the rain and streaming off her face. It was to much, to much. She needed to find shelter, she wanted to go home... but where was 'home'? She had lived alone at a mountain lake for years. Was that home? Or was it with the Wicked, the pack she had been born and raised in? No, neither of those. Not with the Wicked. But why had she left the Wicked? Living there would be so much easier then this, with real dens, not shelter behind cliffs or small holes made by tree roots. She tried to remember, remember things she had tried to forget...

why had she left?

lack of love

pain

fighting

war

her brothers

Her brothers. That was it. What were their names? Ro-something. They had been close had loved each other, when Aurora had been stuck with their mother, who only cared about her because she had a power. Their mother, who was overprotective towards her and didn't care about her brothers. Of course, things had been twisted up in Aurora's mind long ago, but she had never blamed her brothers. She blamed... she didn't even know. But, it didn't matter. Nothing about her life before mattered. It was what was going to happen now. She was never going to see her brothers again, whatever their names were... or had been. Maybe they were dead. But even if they were alive, there was no chance of them ever meeting again.

Aurora struggled harder against the storm, looking around through eyes reduced to slits. Any smells had been washed away long ago, so for all she knew, she was walking around in circles. But then she saw something, a flash of white in the sky with huge wings, chasing a heard of horses. Food, she thought hungrily as the white streak chased the wolves farther away. But even with the water streaming everywhere, she couldn't catch up to the herd, let alone catch one of them. There wouldn't be anything else out with the storm going on, so she would go hungry today... again. The only thing she could do was keep fighting against the storm, in hopes of finding shelter. She looked around, but could only see hills, rain, and little streams of water running down the hills. No shelter, not even a ridge to protect her from the wind. Maybe there was shelter wherever the white streak was chasing the horses to. Or maybe the wind would slow down. It wasn't that fast, just enough to slow Aurora's progress a bit. She was mostly just complaining to herself, tired of all of the wind, and the miles she had walked, and the loneliness... the white streak had been the first wolf she had seen in years, if it was a wolf. Aurora couldn't tell. Just keep walking...

~Shaede~

"Oh, you take the mountain and I'll take the Valley, but I'll get to High Rock befooooore ye!"

"Would you ever shut up? Your voice is awful, oldie, and you know I hate that song!"

An old white wolf laughed and coughed both at once, the random black blotches on his fur rippling in the wind. He grinned at a younger male, his teeth as white as they had been when he was two, and definitely as strong. The grin was not a threat, however, and was completely humorous. Shaede had a hard time threatening anyone these days, considering how scruffy he looked and how unaggressive his voice was.

"Come on, Spitter, you ought to let your elder celebrate his retiration. After all, after today you won't probably ever have to deal with me again; you'll go back to guarding the other dens and I'll be sleeping in them, never to be bothered by anyone ever again..." Shaede chuckled and shook his head, allowing a pitiful cough to escape. "Can you imagine? I get to sleep around for four years, highly respected for all my work here and getting food delivered to my door. Only trouble I'll ever have is when pups come and complain about the merging of the packs."

At this, Spitter was silent. He trod on, a dangerous look in his eye. Shaede sighed and shook his head; he knew the younger wolf didn't like the merging.

"You're rather stubborn for a pup, Spitface."

"You're rather immature for an elder, Bonebreath."

Shaede grunted and braced himself slightly as the wind picked up around the edge of the forest as they two entered the plains. Immediately he caught the scent of horses, and he could sense they had felt fear recently. He turned to look at Spitter. "That's it," he said loud enough to be heard over the wind. "You head back now, I can almost see home from here." Spitter nodded, bumped Shaede's shoulder and spun around, disappearing into the forest in a matter of moments. Shaede pressed on, his eagerness for retirement pushing him through the wind.

He had traveled for about thirty second through the wind when he caught her scent; the scent of a female he didn't recognize. Probably from the other pack, he reasoned, but when he lifted his head he saw her. She looked muddy and exhausted and was having as much trouble with the wind as Shaede was, though she was younger. Shaede grunted again and sped up his pace to catch up with her, coming up from behind her on her left. "Hey," he called, "need a paw?"

~~~

~Oksana~

With the bear finally gone, Oksana gave a yipping thanks to Quince and turned to dash off into the forest again, keeping her nose open for Pax's scent. There had to be a rabbit somewhere, and she intended to find it quickly.

Ever since the packs had merged, Oksana had felt she had less time for Pax and more time dealing with the wolves of the other pack; they just didn't work the same way, and she was always explaining things to them twice... then they'd want to use their methods, and Oksana wasn't really good at those. It was a pain, but she was certain they'd come to an agreement sometime...

A rabbit! Oksana couldn't stop herself in time to stay out of sight of it, so instead of doing that she sped up to try to catch it. The rabbit was young and thin but very lithe and almost prepared for Oksana's appearance. It began to dash through thick underbrush, forcing Oksana to occasionally jump. Now is where the fun comes in!

Jin

Jin nodded at Char and Xylia. They had resolved it for now... they had a plan. It was better than nothing, still, there was much to be done. And Char had much of it to do, there was only so much the two of them could do on their own. She would have to take charge of things, and they would have to find other responsible wolves to add to the list of betas and to select as those that would serve under them as their eyes and ears.

He closed his eyes and allowed his mind to rest, withdrawing back into itself as the world faded back into reality. Suddenly he was back in reality, getting run over by Xylia who had been leaping at him and then by Char who had tried to dart between them.

He grinned from underneath the dogpile erm... wolfpile?

"Well... that's the only drawback..." he grunted, "you always forget what it was your body was doing when you come back." To everyone else, however, no time had passed and the three of them had simply collided and apparently their demeanor's had changed completely.

He waited for the others to come to their senses, it would be extremely disorienting for them for a second or two, then their brains would catch up with their bodies again, used to be that way for him too... until he'd done it a couple hundred times.

"I usually don't complain, but you're really on my back about this, Char." Jin said, unable to help from cracking a joke, he did that too when he was tired. "I know you've really been riding us about this issue..." he continued the joke, "but if you just get off our backs I'm sure we can get it done for you."

Hopefully that would lighten the mood a little. There wouldn't be any sleep in sight for several more hours... and though he groaned inwardly at the thought of being up for that much longer, he already had a few wolves in mind to interview as it were.

Ronan

Ronan mostly stared at the younger wolf, his expression not changing as water continued to drip down his face and off the tip of his jaw.

"Yeah, you're definitely Veni..." he nodded, watching her the whole time. Then he turned back to Dayhl. "And you're definitely Dael..." he sighed suddenly looking very depressed. "So why am I the only one that didn't get ten years knocked off my age? Oh wait... there is Talcore... but he's just weird to begin with... and Pax and Oksana... but they were young already do that doesn't count..."

He seemed to realize suddenly that he had said all of that out loud. "Oh, sorry, I'm used to talking to myself instead of thinking. Actually... I'm used to my thoughts talking back to me and carrying on a conversation with them, I'll show you some time if you want. But um... Maybe we could go somewhere dry? I hate water..."

"Ha, ha, ha," Char said dryly, rolling off of the other two and onto the ground, wincing as her back hit a small rock in the now soft ground. She blinked the rain out of her eyes, realizing that there were others near.

"... Quince!" she exclaimed, her paws curling against her body. Of course he'd be there, when she was turning over just how to ask him to really be her mate. "Oh.... hi. I don't know exactly what was going on here either, ask Jin," she said, shifting her head to gesture at the Beta with her muzzle, still lying on her back.

'Smooth. You're really Alpha material, aren't you?' she thought to herself, giving a tiny whine and closing her eyes.

Vheni

Vheni stared at Roshan in disbelief. How was it even possible that she was a wolf from... who knew how many years long ago? Her mother... her accursed mother, had been in this pack when she had been born, and how would an... old wolf have gotten reborn anyway? Questions assaulted her mind, and foremost of them all was, what, or how did this happen? Vheni had a vague feeling that Ronan might know, but she did not know how he would know... Though he did know a lot, apparently, about her "past life," as well as Dahyl's... Vheni growled, a low, almost inaudible rumble, as the pressing thoughts in her mind prodded her, quickly giving her a head ache. She shook her head with a jerk and took long, deep breaths, calming her thoughts and summarizing what she needed to do. She would ask Dahyl some questions, that was for sure, about these past wolves. If that was successful, she would also ask Ronan some things about her supposed "past life." However, she had to proceed slowly, in order to prevent other wolves from thinking that she was insane. She didn't think she was, anyway.

Vheni pricked her ears as Ronan kept talking. Something about Talcore, Pax, adn Oksana, not losing ten years, but she couldn't make heads or tails out of it. Then the sand wolf finally said something she could understand: getting out of the rain.

"If you want to," Vheni replied, addressing both Ronan and Dahyl. "I don't really care."

"But I don't want to meet a bunch of stupid girl pups, they're all the same."

"How do you know they're stupid, Rhoshan? You should really give others more of a chance."

"They're not going to care, so they're not worth my time."

"Care about what?"

"...what I care about."

"Haven't we had this talk before?"

Rhoshan growled at the older wolf who was speaking to him; he hated being told what to do and hated authority kicking him into gear. He'd rather have lived in a pack with few rules and organization through brute force, which was why he had a sliver of respect to the Warrior he was now talking to; the older wolf had used brute force to get Rhoshan to realize his place in the pack. Not that Rhoshan felt any father-son love for the Warrior, and in fact he had many times promised himself that as soon as he was big enough, he would defeat his mater in battle.

Now, however, the battle was all about getting him to socialize. Rhoshan had successfully avoided any sort of contact with the South pack ever since the packs had merged, but his training was suffering because of it. He didn't even fully understand why he so disliked them, so he decided it was a gut feeling. That didn't fly with his master, and so now he was buying time with words; every second he kept busy talking was another second he didn't have to visit the South pack pups.

"Rhoshan, just go. Please, stop giving me this trouble. Just go, talk for fifteen minutes and if you're sick of them then I won't make you go over there for another week."

"It's raining."

"You love rain."

"Not today. It ruined my sand."

"And what makes it 'your' sand?"

"It just is!"

It sounded stupid and childish, but Rhoshan had officially claimed any source of sand as his. He had even taken the trouble of moving a pile of sand into his den to sleep on. He just plain liked sand, better than anything (or anyone) else in fact, and he knew he was probably insane but he liked talking to it. Yes, talking to sand. It made better conversation than anyone.

"Stop changing topics! Go, or I'll have the Alpha on your hindy for ruining pack loyalty and causing an uprising!"

And go he did, though slowly and unhappily. As Rhoshan entered the rain he laid his ears against his skull and lowered his head, almost looking like a pup who had just taken a beating (which, in his opinion, he had). He meandered along, avoiding eye-contact with anyone but purposely enlarging his aura to bother anyone he could. He only occasionally glanced at another wolf if they were from the South pack, and usually he offered them a red-eyed glare. On he went, though, until in the distance he saw the 'pups' his master had been pointing out as possible playmates (or practice dummies in Rhoshan's opinion); Vheni and Dayhl. Of course, Rhoshan didn't know their names, all he knew was that they were supposedly the most interesting and lively of the pups in the South den. Rhoshan stayed hidden mostly behind a rock as he observed them.

They look boring, but I guess they're kind of cute... at least that lighter one is. That dark one... I don't like her at all.

Rhoshan suddenly noticed a much larger male speaking to the pups, and immediately he felt his heart pound in his chest. For a moment he had a flashback and thought the wolf might be his father, but then he remembered that his father was long dead. Somehow, though, this wolf intrigued him. It made him feel jealous, seeing this wolf speak to the dark pup. But of course he couldn't let anyone know that, because he wasn't supposed to be interested in the South pack, and he had been punished before for his random jealousy-fits over random pups. Some other pups had gone so far as to say he was in love with the random wolves he tried to make friends with. Those pups often ended up with a chewmark through their ear.

Ears back, tail low and eyes towards the ground in front of him, Rhoshan slowly trotted towards the group. His posture might have been mistaken as submissive, but in truth he was just grumpy at the world and didn't feel like being rained on. Without a word he came within five feet of the females and sat, staring at them. He increased his aura enough to take away any powers they might have had, simply because he could.

"Hi." He stared at them, a bored expression on his face, choosing to ignore the older male for the moment...

Vheni

Vheni blinked as the world seemed to dim around her. She blinked again, willing her vision to work. It didn't. What the... Vheni looked around. Her vision was blurred horribly compared to what she had been seeing just a few seconds ago. Then she noticed a pup coming up to them, one that she did not recognize. He looked grumpy, and he had... red eyes? What wolf in the world had red eyes? She blinked again. What's going on with my vision? Vheni wondered, annoyed. Focusing back on the newcomer, Vheni blinked, then grinned playfully at the wolf, who she assumed must be a North pack pup, hoping that she could lighten up his mood.

She cocked her head to one side, her tail swaying gently back and forth. "Hi! I'm Vheni. What's your name?" Then she blinked again as he sat down, and something clicked in her mind. This... pup... he reminded her of... Roshan. Why, oh why did that wolf from long ago keep popping up today? Suppose he was Roshan? After all, the Roshan from her visions also had red eyes...

Pushing the thought to the back of her head, Vheni examined the newcomer, cursing the sudden lack of her power. Past his grumpiness, he did look... fairly cute. She ignored that thought as well. She was training to be a warrior! She didn't want to build connections! But still... Vheni twitched her ears, flicking a few drops of the rain off of them. "Oh, and we were about to get out of the rain, if you want to join us." She looked back at Dahyl and Ronan.

Edited by sapphiredragon73

Aurora continued to walk along, lost in thought, until suddenly there was another wolf beside her. "Hey," he said, loud enough for Aurora to hear over the wind and slashing rain. "Need a paw?" Aurora was so shocked at seeing another wolf, not just a memory or streak of white flying through the sky, that she turned into water. Water splashed outwards as she transformed before quickly being pulled back into the main blob. Once the shock was gone, Aurora instantly materializing back into the form of a wolf. Still, she was wary of this wolf, having not seen, let alone talked to anyone in years. Then she was hit by another shock; she knew this wolf. Not his name, his power, or if he even had a power, just that she knew him. Where had she seen him before? Had she seen him after she left the Wicked? No, she hadn't seen anyone since then He must have been a member of the Wicked or Blessed.

"I-I... um..." Aurora stuttered. Her voice sounded strange from lack of use, and she was still in shock. After days of thinking about meeting other wolves, here she was and she couldn't say anything. "I... um... yes... What's you're name?" she suddenly blurted out. Maybe if she knew the wolf's name, she could remember who he was. Had he been a friend? A foe? But why would they have been fighting in the first place?

Ronan

There were a few quirks about Ronan that no one knew, not from his past, not from his present. Like the fact that all his sand demons had red eyes. It wasn't like they were actual demons possessed by some unnatural force that reddened there eyes like a pup might dream about in some nightmare... Truthfully they had no eye color, unless Ronan gave them one, and he had, red, because it reminded him of his brother. Even when he had been a pup and used his sand in secret, he would always make himself a Roshan to play with because Roshan was always too busy training somewhere and didn't hang around him very often because... when he was a pup... Ronan couldn't keep up with his sibling's intense drive to train.

So when a younger version of his brother magically appeared before him and said hi... Ronan's first thought was that he'd lost control of one of his demons again and it was running about without his consent... but that couldn't be true... it was pouring rain and the sand wouldn't have held together.

The second thought that entered his mind was And now I've gone completely insane... I think this whole week has just been a desert mirage and I'm actually lying out in the sun somewhere... dying of thirst... right... that thought, however, didn't bother him as much as he'd expected. After all... most everyone he came across thought he was crazy. And if this was a mirage... he was going to make the most of it...

"Brother?" He asked, quietly as a reaction at first, his mind not having quite processed everything on its own yet.

"Roshan!" His hind paws sank into the moist ground as he pushed off, hurtling at the younger wolf at incredible speed weighing less than half what he did when wearing his sand armor.

He hit the wolf and the two of them rolled across the ground, wet sand from Ronan's body splattering over the both of them.

"You ungrateful... little..." Ronan grunted in between words, licking Roshan half the time and playfully biting him the other half. "psychotic... brother... of... mine!" Tears were running down Rona's face as well... but you couldn't tell in the rain. His entire world had suddenly become worth living in again... and then it hit him... This wasn't Roshan... not the Roshan he knew... Did that mean...?

He stopped, still on top, weighing the pup who was about half his size, down. "Do you remember me? Little brother?"

"Hi! I'm Vheni. What's your name?"

Her voice was so friendly and her name was so pleasing to the ear, Rhoshan suddenly felt bad for taking away her powers. He still didn't feel like being social, but suddenly these wolves weren't so bad. He nodded a quick greeting to her, still deciding whether or not to say his name.

"Oh, and we were about to get out of the rain, if you want to join us." Rhoshan sighed, pulling back his aura so that whatever power she had could return... it almost looked like she had been blinking and squinting when he had taken away her power, and he hoped she wasn't blind without it, though he wasn't sure why he cared.

"Well, I gue--" "Brother?"

Rhoshan's eyes widened and his head snapped to the right to stare at the older wolf. The voice was so familiar but the word was bizarre. He was shocked into silence as the face of the older wolf suddenly looked familiar.

"Roshan!" Wait how did he kno--SLAM!

Rhoshan didn't even have time to react as the much larger wolf collided with him, knocking him off his feet but surprisingly not knocking the breath out of him. Immediately Rhoshan panicked as he rolled across the wet ground. He tried to remember how to end up on top of a rolling battle, but all knowledge of battle and tactics was suddenly absent from his mind and refused to be remembered. Sand splattered everywhere and Rhoshan ended up on bottom. He spit and coughed to get the sand out of his mouth and try to yell at the other wolf, but suddenly he was being licked and nipped playfully and in a familiar way. He hadn't been licked since he was a small pup.

Still the shock of it all caused Rhoshan to turn his head to the side and whine, hoping the South wolf wouldn't bite into him.

"You ungrateful... little... psychotic... brother... of... mine!"

Psychotic? Whose psychotic here?!

But for some reason, Rhoshan didn't feel Ronan was a crazy as he loo--wait, Ronan? Where did that name come from?

Finally the huge wolf stopped and Rhoshan gasped, blinking up at him in the rain with a half confused frown on his face, trying to keep a shred of dignity about him. He found he still couldn't get up, so he tried his best to keep his paws between the bigger wolf and his own body, not wanting to be fully crushed.

"Do you remember me? Little brother?"

Rhoshan stared up at Ronan, then turned his head helplessly to glance at Vheni, then looked back at Ronan. "Uhm..." had his mother had another pup she hadn't told him about? Was this perhaps some brother that had been separated from him, some perfect pampered pup that had actually pleased his mother? No. Way too old. How did he get so sandy?

Finally, he found he had nothing better to say: "No. Not at all. L-last I knew, I didn't have any siblings."

But this wolf did kind of look familiar, sort of... now Rhoshan was very confused; Vheni, the dark pup and this wolf all looked slightly familiar and provoked different feelings. This one, especially, brought mixed emotions, but Rhoshan kept his face as blank and unconfused as possible.

~~~~

~Shaede~

Shaede's heart almost stopped when the young she-wolf suddenly melted with the rain, literally splashing apart. Shaede was certain he had killed her and was just about ready to panic when suddenly a blob of water began to reform. He managed to sigh in relief slightly and shake his head as the female wolf reformed. It seemed it was just her power, and he had startled her.

"I-I... um..."

Her voice sounded strange in the rain, and Shaede felt bad for surprising her. She was definitely from the South pack, or he would have recognized her... or maybe she was a loner, coming to join the packs. She didn't look the South pack type, really. "I... um... yes... What's you're name?"

Shaede smiled softly in the rain, glad she wasn't just going to run away. After all, it probably wasn't everyday that an ancient white wolf missing half an ear comes up and asks you if you're alright in the middle of a storm out in the middle of a field. Shaede noticed that the female looked hungry and somewhat thin.

"I'm epsilon elder Shaede of the North pack," he replied, putting emphasis on the 'elder' part. "You look hungry. Are you from the South pack?" Shaede turned his body to the side so that he didn't have it facing directly into the rain while he spoke to her.