Blobblarg242

Fractured Mana

((Isn't that a bit moddy? =/))

Marissa gasped as someone suddenly rushed towards the group, driving Chaung to the ground in a headlock. Immediately she recognized James, and it was coupled with the fact that she could probably get something out of this. A tiny devilish grin came to her face, noticed by Luke who shook his head and glanced away in disgust. Blinking a bit, she managed a small sniffle, crocodile tears brimming in her eyes. Letting out a small cry, the girl wiped at her eyes.

"J-James!" she called out to the other boy, the metal snake disintegrating into the air. Reaching down, she plucked weakly at the ground covering her feet. She could very well just break it with some of her own magic, but this would probably only make the Lightningclansman angrier. From her experience, boys tended to want to be closer to a girl if they knew she was in danger. If he saved her from this, he probably wouldn't leave her side. "I-I-I was just watching them train, but then I fell! Everyone was laughing! Luke tried to help me, but then every one started fighting when that Muol guy said something mean to me! Then...Th-then, Luke started yelling at them! Then I tried to calm him down and now we can't move!"

((Sorry. I didn't mean to be moddy. Monkeyboy, if you think that this is too moddy, then just say so and I'll edit it out, alright?))

Things were getting out of hands. Fast and dangerously. Confused and increasingly annoyed he looked at things get really out of hand until James came out of nowhere and grabbed the only person who was trying to calm things up here in an head lock. Then Marissa said one too many things and he just got angry. "THAT'S ENOUGH!! James that's Chaung!" Using his shadow power he used the shadow created by James and Chaung to take James into a strangle too, squeezing the shadow around his neck, which offered some shade too. It was not very powerful, that was not his goal, but it might weaken his grip by stopping the blood from going to his head for a few second. He then moved to Marissa disgusted and slapped her in the face. "Disgusting little brat. Lying like that while you hurt your own weapon partner who tried to HELP you!"

He was really angry and ready to fight if need was. His own shadow inside his clothing ready to defend him if need be. His face was completely covered in shadows as was his neck and any opening in his clothing. He was engulfed in shadows, just as he was used to be where he lived. He was rather weak at this time of day, but that didn't mean he was defenseless. "We ought to return to camp..."

"Excuse me?!" Marissa's head snapped around to glare at the person who had just spoken. Her green gaze landed on Muol. Oh, she recognized the power like that all too well. It was the power that those from the Umbraempire had, the power to control shadows. While she wasn't usually one to lose her temper, she had certainly lost it now. Narrowing her eyes, she snapped her fingers. Next to her, a few arrows made of various metal scattered in the ground rose in the air. Somehow, the girl managed to struggle free of the earth surrounding her feet and glared at the older man. He had said too much. This was the disrespect that she could not handle. Clearly, he didn't know who the boss was. She snarled, her voice not wavering from it's steady growl. "I would suggest holding your tongue. If not, these arrows will go right through that thick head of yours."

Thick head huh? We would see. He had her shadow, but stopping those arrows would be something else. "Don't like to hear the truth? Find me disrespectful? Clearly you lack some basic knowledge. I will not attack you, but if you do I will fight back." He had positioned himself to be in the shadowess place close to her. He would not fight to prove himself, he was not like that. He didn't want to fight her either, but the brat sure was ready for it. Why did he interfere anyway? He knew it rarely ended well. Was it to see her act like that after hitting her own "friend"? Still... He doubted the others would let it become anything bad. Might as well just evade and piss her off a bit by tripping her or something. Better than actually killing each others.

Huoyan blinked as things got out of hand rapidly. First James suddenly rushed out from somewhere and grabbed Chaung in a headlock. Then apparently Muol joined in the fray and slapped Marissa. Marissa then summoned metal arrows from the ground and they were all pointing towards Muol. “Sensei…” Huoyan shifted slightly, eyes narrowing, a grim frown on his face. Balong however was surveying the situation calmly. “Don’t even think about interfering. It will only make things worse. Besides, what are you going to do? Talk to them? I think they are way past that now.” Huoyan frown deepen and he shook his head. But he knew his sensei was right. He was not going to get through to them by talking and using his element was out of the question. Fire was one of the more destructive elements and besides he was not going to use it against any of his fellow participants outside of the tournament.

"Worthless piece of trash," Marissa hissed, clenching her hand into a fist. This man was arrogant and was completely oblivious to just how much danger he had put himself in. She hadn't been named the best Elementalist in her home for nothing. For years, ever since she was very young, she had gone through rigorous training that one was considered lucky to live through. But if one got chose to serve the 'Demon King', they accepted. It was the very same Demon King who she had been trying to please for years. "How dare you speak to me like that? Or even place a hand on me for that matter? Do you have any idea who I am? Who my father is? Hm, I'm not really sure how to go through with this. I could fight you myself and be kicked from this pointless contest, or I could call my family back here and tell them what's going on. I can assure you, they won't take it lightly. Either way, I'm sure that you won't come out looking like you do now."

"Worthless piece of trash," Marissa hissed to him. So expected... It was all too easy to read her, but even then she went on and on about foolish and meaningless things for one who is in the tournament. "How dare you speak to me like that?" True, how dare he? "Or even place a hand on me for that matter?" What could he say, it was satisfying. "Do you have any idea who I am?" Nope. "Who my father is?" Should he care? "Hm, I'm not really sure how to go through with this." So full of questions aren't you... "I could fight you myself and be kicked from this pointless contest, or I could call my family back here and tell them what's going on. I can assure you, they won't take it lightly." What?! After all that talking she was going to cry back to her parents?! Pointless contest?! What was she doing here then?! "Either way, I'm sure that you won't come out looking like you do now." ...Who was the lunatic who accepted someone like HER in the contest in the first place...

"You are aware that... your threats do not affect me and that this 'worthless' competition is in fact very important? If you do not like it or understand its importance then head back home and beat up your weapon partner like you just did out of a childish fit." Why did she think she was so high and mighty compared to him? He was chosen among his own people too. He didn't need to show off his power like she was doing. She he had shadowed himself, but that was just as a protection. He'd be a fool to let himself all open in front of an irrational brat. "Like I said before, I do not wish to fight, but if you attack I will answer." He took a step back and turned around toward the camp setting. "I am not defenseless and I don't want useless trouble so stop making some." He had his back turned, but his power was all around the place now, especially around the girl. Any change in shadow, be it new or old, he would notice. He was not the best fighter around, but years of living in complete darkness had hone some other skills and his instinct. Surprising him was no small feat, Flay had learned that the hard way. Speaking of which... Where was he?

"Marissa, calm the down!" Luke suddenly called out, getting his partner to jump and turn to glare at him. She had just readied herself to send the arrows flying into her fellow contestant's back, but he had managed to get her attention before she could. He was honestly really tired of the arguing going on. Like most things, this was something that really quite angered the blond. They just couldn't be respectful of one another and it had almost gotten violent. Couldn't they just get along? Kicking at the dirt around his feet that was now loose, he slipped away from the grasp of the Earth to glare at both of them. While his voice was still very quiet, there was a heavy tone that usually told Marissa not to mess with him. "Both of you listen to me now. I'm not sure as to why you're both so upset, but stop your ridiculous arguing. Really, it isn't any of your business what the others in your group do nor should you care. You're both acting like dumb little kids. Not just Marissa, you as well, uh, Muol. I should be ashamed to be from the same place as you. It's disgusting to see people fight over something so small. She didn't even hit me! And Marissa, can't you just ignore him if he says something that makes you angry? Now both of you just shut up! No one cares about what you're talking about anyway! Just go your separate ways!"

Muol turned around after Luke gave his speech. He was childish? He just remembered punishing a child who was lying, threatening and more. Most of what that blond had said was nonsense. "You should get your eyes and hears checked. I don't know what you saw, but it was clearly not the same as me. If you are so ashamed at me then simply don't speak to me again. I do not represent the Umbraempire in any other way than a representative of this contest." He then turned around again "Also this conversation was already over. I won't bother your little 'princess' as long as she behave correctly, I ain't her baby-sitter like you." and slowly made his way back toward the camp. That duo was so futile... At least the other contestant made a lot of sense, even if he barely spoke to any... The only ones he truly spoke to was Balong and Huoyan when they were at the Pyroshogunate's capital. *sigh* He was beginning to think that all this was rather pointless and depressive.

Flay on his side had enjoyed ever part of the show and had found the perfect person to play pranks on. Standing on a branch close to the fire group he would have smiled if it was not for his raven beak. He then jump down and landed close to the duo while warning them of his presence with a simple hello. "Hello~ I see I was not the only spectator. Want to share your thoughts on the matter? I'm very curious of what you were thinking. One would have thought it would be best to stop them like Huoyan wanted. I'm Flay by the way. Muol's weapon partner. Hope I am not intruding, I just found something very interesting here is all." Gosh were people HUGE when he was a simple raven. Didn't stop him from proudly standing on his two small birdy leg, full of confidence. Things might get interesting though his friend might not appreciate the consequences of it all.

Edited by Skarx

James had quietly sat in place while everyone argued. Standing up, he brushed himself off. "Alright. I've had enough of this crap." James walked over to Marissa and grabbed her by the arm. "I need to talk to you in private. Oh, and Muol? If you try to hurt me with an underhanded tactic like that ever again, I will blind you." James was quite angry. The group was already facing issues, and they hadn't even gotten to their first match yet. He might not have been the technical leader, but he at least thought he might have enough leverage over Marissa to get her to be more agreeable. "I really need you to hear this. That is, if Luke will leave us alone." James tried his best to come off as though the 'important thing' was about their relationship. Technically, it was. However it wasn't what he was hinting at.

Marissa blinked at James, her face the image of pure anger. Her brother had told her. He had told her, but she didn't listen. No one was going to take them seriously because of their age. It wouldn't matter how strong they were, as no one would ever think of them as adults. The competition would have to go on long enough for her to reach eighteen, then they might. Of course, her height probably didn't help. Her focus went back to James. Usually, she would smile when a boy said he needed to be alone with her, but she was just too angry to flirt. Really, she just wanted to punch him in the face and go back to her tent. Before she could snap at him, Luke had shoved himself between them.

"You listen," he stood in front of her, prodding the other boy in the shoulder. With a sigh, she rolled her eyes and looked away, ready to punch the blond in the face. It was so embarrassing to just be around him. "If I see her after you speak to her, and she has a mark on her neck, any makeup missing from her lips, or for some reason she's wearing your shirt, I will personally scalp you. That's it not a threat. It's a promise."

"Oh My God," with his last words she turned around and grabbed his shoulder pulling him away from James. It wasn't like he was going to do anything to her! Luke always thought the worst of other boys. She wasn't really sure if he was jealous or not, but it was still quite annoying. "Can you just leave? Maybe what he wants to talk about is none of your damn business!"

"Fine!" snapped Luke, turning on his heel and stomping away. Before he disappeared into the trees he turned around. "I'm going to take some sleeping pills and take a nap. I swear if your not back...You know what? I don't even care!" Throwing his arms in the air, he began to walk to the camp again.

"I'm sorry about him. I think he's jealous, but I could care less," with a sigh, she shook her head. "What do you want to talk about?"

"I don't mind. I simply find it amusing that he thinks he can hurt me, actually." Strangely enough, James was calm. He didn't really display much sense of aggression, which was a testament to just how serious he was. "Do you know why I have a rival? Other than the obvious answer? He stole something from me a while back. It was a small charm necklace. When a boy feels especially attracted to a girl in my home, we request the help of the smith to forge a silver necklace with a hammer-shaped charm. He stole that from me, to further insult me, claiming that if I couldn't protect a simple necklace I'd never deserve a beautiful wife. So now, I want to reclaim it. Any idea whom I had intended the gift for, or should I just tell you"

Marissa had been angry, but now she was honestly confused. James already had his eyes on a girl, and it wasn't her. She wouldn't lie and say that she wasn't jealous of this other female. While she certainly could feel envy burning in her, there wasn't any way now for her to flirt with him. Marissa saw herself as perfect, very beautiful and flirtatious. She had been raised by people who told her this all the time, but there was always something that had made her insecure. Rejection didn't sit well with her, and it always made her feel like she had done something wrong. Somehow, this other girl had to have cheated. But why would he choose her?! But now that she thought about it, why would that girl he liked choose him?

"Well, I personally don't give a damn," yanking her arm free of the Lightningclansman's grasp, she crossed her arms and shrugged. Really, if James already had a girlfriend, why the hell did he allow her to flirt That was something she despised, and wasn't ready to be around someone who was a cheater. He had been willing to let some strange girl, who he didn't even know, cuddle him and such. Cuddling led to kissing, kissing led to making out, and so on and so on. She wasn't going to aid him in this. "Because I don't want to be around the likes of people like you. Now, if you'll excuse me, I think I'll go observe the packing up of our camp. We'll probably be leaving soon." Turning on her heel, Marissa began to walk away.

James sighed, but he was as emotionless as before. He followed Marissa as he explained himself. "You misunderstand. I never actually interacted with her. I just did the stupid thing and thought that if I made a necklace, it would be romantic and such. Now, the only reason I want to get the necklace back is-" He sighed again and looked at the sky for a moment. "That's what I wanted to talk to you about. Losing the necklace to the warrior from Leon was a huge disgrace. Getting it back would be considered an honorable course of action. But at the same time... I'd have to give the necklace to someone or else I'd look like an idiot. Well, more of an idiot. I don't want to give it to the original girl, because as I said, I don't even actually know her. So, that's my predicament. I just wanted your advice on the situation. I'll have to give the necklace to some girl... who, I don't know."

Edited by Blobblarg242

Marissa listened carefully as James explained, relaxing a bit. Oh, so he didn't even know this girl? Why would he be such a fool then? Did he have no sense of tradition? Coming from a family that valued this, she was actually quite annoyed. Crossing her arms, she turned on him and shifted her weight to one foot, attitude apparent in her stance now. Well, she guessed that she was the best one to give advice on this sort of thing. After all, she had been dating Matthew for an awfully long time. If course, they had broken up right before the competition, so she was free game now. A slightly, devious grin came to her face, and she rubbed her palms together. Maybe she could ween this boy towards her.

"Well, it should be a girl you know first of all," she said, putting her hands behind her back and rocking back and forth on her feet. She looked up at James, her green eyes widening sightly. If she looked cuter, it would be an easy decision for him to make. "It has to be a girl that you truly care about. If you think she returns the feelings, then she's perfect. She should be tough, kind, attractive, feisty, thoughtful, honorable...Heehee! She should be a good kisser too~! It really is too bad you don't know anyone like that, though."

"Yeah, too bad I don't know anyone like that." James said jokingly. Did Marissa really want him to give her the necklace? She probably didn't understand just how important it would be to receive something like that. If they went through the Lightningclans and she was wearing it around her neck, all the while flirting with some other guy, James would probably find himself a Clanless for choosing a woman with no respect for their traditions. That would be a fate worse than death. "All joking aside, do you even know how bid of a deal it is? It's a huge sign of commitment, and it has serious consequences for both of us if things... don't end well." James really didn't want to follow this line of thought. It was annoying, and somewhat depressing.

"Hm, it really is too bad because I would think that someone as cute as you would have the ladies crawling all over him," Marissa giggled, twirling her hair in between her pale fingers. She nodded as she continued to listen o him. Much to her pleasure, he had seemed to pick up on her hints. It seemed like a pretty big deal to James, so it must have been pretty important. Especially if something bad would happen if something went wrong. hough it didn't really seem like it, she wouldn't dare cheat. That had been the direct cause of her birth parents' divorce. Plus, she loved the way he said "the both of us." It sent chills up her spine. She blinked, her smile becoming more sly. "I'm sure any girl would willingly accept, especially if she got a nice kiss from you."

Huoyan jumped slightly in surprise as a raven suddenly jumped down from somewhere and started speaking. He frowned at the raven. In his current state, he might have set fire to the bird out of instinct. Balong however, was as usual unruffled. “Ah, please join us Flay. Yes, I think we have been introduced back at the capital. Thoughts on the matter? Hmm… first of all I would like to ask how Huoyan is going to stop them when they are already close to seriously hurting each other. Bearing in mind that we are not allowed to harm the other contestants and especially as this is not an official contest in the tournament. I doubt just talking to them would have worked. Second, I would like to point out that both of us are too far away to hear anything and even if we stepped in, we would have no idea how to defuse the situation.” Balong sighed and looked at Flay with serious eyes. “I have serious misgivings about the group. Just because a person has been bestowed with the power of the elements does not mean that they are to flaunt it at every turn. Using it in a fit of emotion is...” Balong paused and then smiled smoothly, “But I see that I’ve spoken too much. Since the incident has passed, let us put it behind us and work towards victory in the tournament.” Balong stood up and brushed off his pants. He nodded amicably at Flay and indicated for Huoyan to follow. Huoyan had been silent the whole time but before he left, he looked at the raven for a long moment, “Please try not to surprise me next time.” Huoyan suddenly smiled and winked at the raven. Turning back, he followed his sensei back to camp.

Luke stomped back to the camp, hissing and muttering dark phrases aimed at James underneath his breath. If he put a single hand on her, then the blond would lose it. Everyone in that camp was a complete idiot and they just couldn't control their anger. Most of all, he disliked the Lightningclan's representative. He was obnoxious, loud, and rude. All he wanted to do was fight and talk trash about his enemy. Really, was it so hard for everyone to get along?

"Hey, watch where you walking!" he snapped as he ran into a group of contestants. Luke didn't look back up to see who they were. Instead, he continued walking, eager to just take a nap an d forget that anything happened. He wasn't sure what was going on, but he always hated it when Marissa flirted with guys. H-he wasn't jealous! No, she was just being immoral! That...That as probably it...Despite what his mind was saying, his face had flushed a deep red.

James finally began to show emotion. It took form in a slight blush on his features. For all the taunting and talk he made, James was actually somewhat frightened by the prospect of kissing Marissa. He mostly taunted enemies because that had been Lightningclan tradition. It was not unheard of for them to go into battle with nothing on their bodies except a helmet, trousers, and their infamous war-paint. "F-first things first. I don't even have the necklace with me. I need to beat the warrior from clan Leon and reclaim it." He said, his voice only half as confident as usual. He was quite uncomfortable with the topic, and would rather simply get back to the rest of the group. And yet... James leaned over to Marissa and kissed her cheek very lightly. "T-there. Happy?" James immediately turned away, remorse and embarrassment evident on his face.

((Um, Marissa and Luke basically got into a fight with a bunch of people, verbal not physical. James tried to stop them from messing with Marissa, while Luke screamed and yelled at them. Most of the other contestants left because Marissa was being rude. Now, Marissa and James are talking.))

Marissa smile didn't waver as James got nervous; instead a bubbly giggle escaped her lips. She just loved to watch people squirm, whether they were in any physical pain or not. Somehow, that was slightly better, but romance was fine as well. When he leaned forward she had expected a kiss on the lips, but got a simple peck on the cheek. Chuckling again, she turned away and covered her mouth with her hand, turning away as if she was shy.

"Well, that will have to do," Marissa reached upwards and tickled underneath his chin. She still wasn't sure as to what this necklace thing entitled, but it still sounded pretty cool. It wasn't completely alien, though. She could have sworn that her older brother gave necklaces like that away to a lot of girls. It sounded almost like a marriage proposal. That was so silly! Standing on her toes, she returned the favor, kissing him on the cheek as well. Oh! She left a black lipstick mark on his skin! No, she wasn't going to tell him. Taking his hand, she tried to pull him along. "Come on, let's go back. We should start packing up our camp."

Edited by Icepelt

James could have sworn that Marissa had been wearing make-up of some kind that might smear, but he simply ignored the thought and tried to focus on her suggestion. The sooner the got the camp packed up, the sooner they could get into town. And the sooner they got into town, the sooner they could fight and get their crystal shards. It was definitely a worth goal, as was anything that allowed him to experience the rush of battle. That was another reason why James was not a big fan of killing opponents. Besides it being considered such a bad deed that most people would fear and hate you for it if you were to do so in an official fight, it meant there was one less person to fight. Never mind the fact that people would never trust you as a Guardian, the lack of worthy opponents was a bad enough prospect to deter James from killing altogether. Except for animals. Their meat was so delicious, it was worth it. Walking into the rest of the camp, he looked around for Zeke. Where had he gone off to? Probably spying on someone in cat form. Sure enough, a black cat padded up to James and gave an almost human-like shake of the head to him. "Oh, don't lecture me. If I find the necklace, I have to give it to someone."

As soon as Marissa entered the camp with James following close behind her, Luke sprang to his feet, a bottle of sleeping pills in his hand. Stomping over, he shoved the two teens apart and immediately began to look over his partner. Tiny giggles escaped the raven-haired girl as he tugged her dress around, looking for any rips or tears. He looked at her neck next, looking for any sort of bruise or red mark. Huffing he asked her a few questions. Did he hit her? Had they gone farther than kissing? Had he seen any skin on her body that was usually covered up? All of the questions were answered with an annoyed 'No.', but then he caught sight of the black lipstick on James's cheek.

"You kissed him?!" his voice had grown to his version of a scream. Lurching forward, the pills shaking in his hand, Luke attempted to beat the heck out of the older boy. Letting out an annoyed sigh, his partner came up behind him and held him still. He hissed and spit, flailing around and trying to escape.

"Calm down, Luke," she said, grunting as he struggled to free himself. "Ah, calm the hell down! We have to pick up the camp! Help me. Come on!" As he was finally released, he let out a dark growl, and angrily pulled his hood back over his head as they walked away from James.