Blobblarg242

Fractured Mana

Xuong let himself lean back to sit on the ground. The adrenaline was starting to go away, and he felt as tired as if he had just ran the whole day without rest. "I hope I at least gave him a tough fight" he thought, catching his breath as Zeke went to check on James. He'd need to ride Xertos for a while after that, until the paralysis went away.

That was when Marissa approached him, and kissed him on the cheek. It took him five whole seconds, during which his mind had gone blank, to react, after which he blushed and couldn't help staring at the girl, wondering why would she do something like that. Luckily for him, or unluckily, he heard the dreaded clopping noises that signaled Xertos was approaching him. "Oh no" he thought, looking at the horse.

Xertos had a neutral expression; Xuong didn't know if to be scared or to be terrified. His good eye was examining the boy's body, lingering on his paralyzed right arm and left leg, and on the spot on his right leg where he had been burnt. Xertos lowered his head and Xuong was half-expecting the horse to bite him, but he grabbed the boy by the back of his clothes and threw him on his back, earning a surprised 'ack'. Xuong steadied himself, moving to ride the bay horse properly, before looking at his partner's face questioningly. The horse returned a glare and turned away from him with a scoff, signaling he would get scolded later in the night when Xertos could tell him off without everyone around turning to stare at the talking horse. Sighing in relief that Xertos didn't seem angry enough to not let him ride him, he turned to see what James was doing. Apparently, he wasn't the only one having problems with his partner, since Zeke had just dropped James unceremoniously on the ground. James stood up to talk to Marissa, seemingly uncomfortable with something. Xuong wanted to tell James it had been a good fight, since he wasn't a sore loser, but he decided to wait until those two were done talking to not interrupt them.

"Oh no! You're hurt!" Marissa, honestly concerned. Lifting a hand, she carefully brushed it lightly over his forehead repeatedly. His skin was sort of warm, probably the fever that any of his injuries would get. Her hand back, beginning to play with his hair. Oh, he was certainly easy to look at without a shirt on. She puffed out her cheeks childishly realizing that he was probably too tired to do anything else. Sighing she stood close to him, wrapping a hand around his middle and resting her head on his shoulder. This was how it always was with boys, no matter how many she was dating at the time. They would get really close to her for a week or two, and then her brother would scare them away. She began to draw lightly over his chest with her pointer finger on her other hand. "I'm here now, dear. You don't have to worry." She stood on her toes, nuzzling the boy's neck. Her green gaze went to Luke for a moment. The weapon was eying James, his blue eyes full of tranquil fury. "I'm your prize after all. Hm~ Be careful though, you might upset my weapon if you hurt my feelings."

"I don't intend to hurt your feelings. If I say something stupid, it would be unintentional." Though James was rather uncomfortable with his present situation, he still considered himself to be an honorable man. If he made a deal, he'd stick by it. Lightningclansmen naturally felt a sense of honor about anything the partook in. They might generally come off as a bit too open and ready to fight, but they were generally very trustworthy once you got close to them. Of course, James had heard that Samurai in the Pyroshogunate valued honor in such a premium that to dishonor yourself badly called for ritual suicide. This was one of many reasons why James was glad he was born where he was rather than in one of these foreign countries. "I'm a little bruised up... if you don't mind, could you please get my chainmail? I'll need it for when I'm finished resting... ugh." James nearly passed out, leaning a little on Marissa. Zeke made a very desperate motion for him to move his hands up higher, lest someone get the wrong impression. James steadied himself and tried to figure out why he was standing on the sky and the ground was so high up in the air.

"Of course!" Marissa said, her face twisting back into an expression of concern. She lightly took his hand, unwrapping herself from him, and led him to where he had thrown his armor. When she picked it up, she noticed how weak he seemed. The fight had really tired him out. Well, as a female, it was her job to make sure he felt alright. "Here, let's get some rest." She said gently, putting an arm around him. The girl laid James carefully to the ground, soon sinking after him. Resting with her legs out in front of her, she put his head carefully on her lap. She began to run her fingers through his hair again. She leaned again the nearby building, watching the people int he streets walk by. Sighing, Marissa tried to come up with something to talk about. "Hmm...I was with twins once."

“A scythe! I only ever saw one of those in action before. I heard it’s not an easy weapon to master.” Balong said enthusiastically, “But it’s very powerful in the hands of an expert.”

Huoyan saw that Muol actually seems to be quite friendly and not at all dangerous as he had first thought. “Oh, I see. I didn’t know that people from the Umbraempire are sensitive to light. Back in my village, people don’t go around with their faces hidden from view. I’m Huoyan, as Balong sensei have just said. Nice to meet you too.”

“Aha! Finally, our reclusive blacksmith have spoken! Really now, is it so difficult for you to speak? I don’t think you’ve spoken more than three sentences since we came down from the mountains.” Balong thumped Huoyan on the shoulder.

Huoyan frowned slightly and spoke quietly, “I see no reason to speak until now. As my uncle used to say, ‘Empty vessels makes the most noise’.”

Balong raise an eyebrow and said, “Don’t quote your uncle at me boy. I still remember him as a young whelp with runny nose. As I do you.”

Huoyan immediately stood up and gave a bow, “I humbly apologise sensei, it was not my intent to offend and I seek your forgiveness if I have given offence in any way.”

Balong let out a short laugh, “All is forgiven my apprentice. Don’t be so uptight, we’ll be traveling with people from other nations soon and it will not do for you to be so taciturn.”

Huoyan gave another bow, "I shall be guided by you in this sensei.”

Balong sighed and turned back to the others, “I’m not sure there’s any place dark enough for Muol here; unless we go to their underground storage room. But I doubt they’ll let us do that.” Balong cocked an ear to the side, “And it appears that the spar seemed to have ended outside since I don’t hear anything now. Shall we go have a look?”

(( sensei - master/teacher in Japanese. Huoyan is 28 and not really a boy. wink.gif ))

Edited by Sunwolf

James coughed a little, though it seemed to be pretty much just over-acting since he was just slightly bruised. "And this comforts me... how?" It puzzled James greatly that Marissa, who he supposed was now his 'prize' thought that telling him that she had been with twins was supposed to make him feel any better in his present situation. In truth, the way that Marissa looked as he saw her face above his blocking the sun slightly gave her an almost angelic look. It was really strange... "The sooner I'm ready to get back on my feet, the sooner we can all leave." He muttered. "Zeke? Why couldn't you have been an ox or a horse? You could carry me if you were." Zeke simply shrugged and shifted into his Animal Form, padding up to James and observing him. "I am what I am." He said, getting the strange urge to wash his paws.

"Hmm...It's all I could think of talking about." said Marissa, tipping her head up a bit. She didn't really have that many interesting stories that did involve something else. Still, she had to make James feel better so she could get something out of him. At least a kiss on the lips...Huffing slightly, she began to slow how her fingers went through his hair, hoping to lull him to sleep somehow. That would certainly be cute! Her smiled returned, becoming more relaxed this time. If he wanted comfort, then that's what he would get. The girl lowered her voice, trying to make it sound similar to how she saw her brother talk to pretty girls. "You just take as much time as you need, James. The cough sounded awfully nasty." She was careful to place a bit of emphasis on his name when she said it. Even though his cough had sounded fake, it was fun for her to play along. "The longer you take, the more I get to see you beat up like this. It's cute~"

"Oh, that is so comforting. I'll be sure to get beat up more often." James said sarcastically. Zeke padded over to him and put a paw on the boy's forehead. "Watch yourself, James. She is your prize, right?" He said teasingly, scurrying off towards some of the other contestants so that James couldn't retaliate. "Stupid cat... anyway, I appreciate you trying to take care of me. I'm only a little bruised, though. If you want, you can just leave me here an I'll patch myself up. After traveling on the road, you learn to knoew how to treat minor injuries like this." James was actually a little afraid of Marissa, though he'd never admit it. In a fight, he was confident that he would defeat his opponent. Social interactions, especially ones with a girl that was now apparently his 'prize' was a different matter altogether. He wished a little bit that she would leave, though he knew that the odds of that were close to zero.

Edited by Blobblarg242

"Oh, I can't do that!" Marissa furrowed her brow and looked down at James with a small pout. His injuries honestly didn't look that severe to her. No, they weren't the cool kind that got all festering and gross. There were just a few cuts and bruises here and there. Still, she just couldn't help herself when it came to males. They were just so fun to play around with. Seeing them squirm was enjoyable, as well as getting them to kiss you full on. She doubted that she would get that from any of the three boys around her age, but she would worm her way into their heart eventually. Continuing to look worried, she lightly brushed the back of her fingers over his cheek. "You can barely stand, sweetie. Why don't you rest a little and let me take care of you? You can't be the big, strong, and handsome guy you are all the time, right?"

James sighed and looked up at Marissa again. "You just refuse to give up, huh?" She certainly didn't give the impression of someone who would willingly give up a chance to be with a guy. James leaned up and managed something close to a hug before falling back into her lap. "There." he said, looking the other direction. he refused to blush, but he wasn't exactly comfortable around this girl. "Why do you take an interest in me?" He finally asked. She seemed interested in each and every guy that was her age, really. However, that didn't wstop James from asking why. It wasn't as though he were in much of a state to move away or anything. So, he may as well make the most of his current postition and learn more about Marissa.

"Nope!" answered Marissa with a wide smile. She giggled as she was pulled into a hug, humming slightly once he let go. Her expression faltered slightly, though she still held a small smile. Why was she like that all the time? Ever since she could remember, she could remember kissing boys on the cheek and making them yell at her, telling her they had cooties. Then, as she had got older, they started responding by kissing her lips or blushing cutely. There was never a reason for why she acted that way. In fact, her late father would probably dislike her for acting in such a way. Her mother had left with the man she was cheating on her father with. No doubt he would be looking down on her if he was still alive. Her hand stopped moving then, resting on the top of James's head. "I'm not sure why I behave the way I do. My brother's hate it, and so does Luke. My father tells me that it's inappropriate for a young lady to act like this, but I never stop. I just don't care. I fell like I was born like this. Like it's my nature or something. Not acting like that would just feel wrong to me."

Xuong took the chance to rest while James and Marissa talked, having turned to sit backwards on Xertos so his back was against the horse's neck. Once he felt that he could move again (more or less), he sat down straight to check on his wounded leg. He removed his right leg wrappers and raised a bit the leg of his pants to see the injury. The skin was red and a little swollen; that was good, it meant it wasn't that serious. If he didn't manage to make it bleed, it would heal in two or three days.

He felt something against his side, and turned to see Xertos handing him his backpack with his mouth. True, he had left it with him when he went into the restaurant. "Thanks" he told him, to which Xertos huffed, glared and turned again, signaling he was still angry. Xuong opened the bag and slowly rummaged through the little belonging he had brought, his right arm still needing to rest a bit, locating a small, white box. He opened it and took out a small roll of bandages, tearing some out before putting everything away. Burns were clean wounds, and as such, either you cooled them down with water or not touch them at all. He quickly wrapped the bandages around it to make sure the friction wouldn't be a problem and put his leg wrappers on again, wincing a little. He had been lucky it was just a spar. Burns caused by strong electricity could easily be third grade.

He looked at the other two teens, who were on the ground, James on Marissa's lap as she had a hand on his hair. It really felt like he was interrupting something just by watching, so he quickly turned away, feeling embarrassed all of a sudden. He felt Xertos shaking his head behind him, and hitting the ground with one of his front hooves, as if he was impatient or frustrated. "Don't" Xuong said, making Xertos neigh with indignation as he turned to glare at the boy. Xuong tried to shut him up by grabbing his muzzle, but Xertos attempted to bite his hand, making Xuong quickly remove them from the horse's biting range. "You're being too loud" he told his partner, which just made Xertos glare harder with his black eye and stomp the ground again.

"Well, so long as we can get the job done, I'm fine with however you act. Just... don't try and be affectionate to me when I'm fighting, alright? Heh... who know. This might actually work. Metal conducts electricity, doesn't it?" After talking a bit, James finally was able to summon enough strength to overcome his 'injuries' and stand up. It was admittedly somewhat painful, but it wasn't anything major. Pulling his chain-mail over his head, he tried to call everyone's attention. "Anyone here in the tournament, come over here for a second. We need to plan our next mover. Hurry it up!" Not one for motivating speeches, James kept things short and to the point. As they should be.

Marissa got up after James did, pleased with his words. She was actually supposed to be dating someone right now. A young man named Matthew was technically her 'boyfriend.' She, of couse, wasn't going to tell anyone this. She followed the Lightningclansman to where he stood, tightly holding his hand between both of hers. Her green eyes were shingin as she looked up at him, eager to hear what he had to say. Hm...Maybe he was right about this. It was like there was a strong spark betwee the two of them. Electricity and metal went together in perfect harmony. Behind her stood Luke, his blue eyes boring into James. If that boy hurt Marissa in anyway at all, he would be decapitated.

Edited by Icepelt

Xertos' ears twitched when James spoke up and he walked towards the pair, hooves making clopping noises against the ground. Xuong was now sitting on him with both legs to one side, one hand on the horse's black mane to maintain his balance. Xertos stopped a short distance away from James and Marissa, his right side facing the wall to make sure no one was on his blind side. Xuong jumped down, flinching a little when he touched the ground, but quickly recovered and made his way towards his companions. "Um, James?" he said, hoping to get the other boy's attention. "Nice spar. You're really strong" he said, doing a small bow, his open left hand over his right fist. It was customary to do that after every spar, and both of them had been too tired to properly move directly after the fight so he guessed now was a good time.

Huoyan nodded and got up to followed Balong. Outside, it seems as if the spar has ended and there was ample evidence that it was fairly serious. The alley looked as if a tornado had just swept past and parts of the wall bore markings as if blasted by something. “Looks fairly serious,” Balong commented as he surveyed the alley. Huoyan nodded, he wished he could have seen the whole thing.

Just as the Wind user was doing a bow, James called to the other contestants. Balong nodded and strode up with Huoyan. “We are the participants from the Pyroshogunate.”

James nodded as the other participants gathered around him. "I'm not really the leader or anything, but we should have a plan. We're not going to get anywhere by just sitting here and waiting for everyone to come to us. Well, we could do that, but then they could have gained a ton of crystals and beat us easily. So, I think we should make a traveling plan. I already suggested one at the start, but if anyone has a better idea, speak up. We're a group, not a dictatorship." James wasn't one for speeches, but he could at least giver everyone an outline of what needed to be done. They'd be dead in the water if nobody spoke up. Tournaments are never any fun with a lack of people.

"Um...I-I think I have an idea." Luke brought himself in front of James, his voice especially quiet. Speaking in crowds really wasn't his thing, especially in such bright light. The young blond had been raised in a place where darkness covered almost every inch of land. His family hardly went out into the sunlight and were always out in the light. He shifted his weight uncomfortably from foot to foot before blinking at the group of people that surrounded him. He cleared his throat and tried to speak louder, so everyone could hear him. This was difficult, as his voice could hardly be heard as it was over the bustling capitol. "Marissa has family members that live here. They can, ah, transport us to the net place we need to be. I-If that's alright."

“Oh? So we have another local here. Well, that does simplify things. I think we should follow his plan.” Balong whispered softly to Huoyan. Huoyan nodded in agreement and said quietly, “If the girl’s family is able to transport us to the next destination, it’ll save us a lot of trouble, not to mention that we’ll save on the traveling fees too.”

“I agree with this young man.” Balong spoke up to the group, “We don’t have much money to begin with and if Marissa’s family can transport us to the next destination, it’ll be beneficial for us to take up the offer.”

Xuong climbed Xertos' back again, both legs to the side. "No complains here either. It sounds like a good idea" he said. He didn't know who the large, red-haired man and the elder were, but if they were competitors from Pyroshogunate, he guessed they were in the group too. "I'm Xuong and this is Xertos. We're from the Windmonasteries" he greeted too.

Xertos just let the boy ride him again and eyed the group, not looking at the man he knew was called Balong. If the cloaked man and the raven he had seen before were also coming, and no one preferred to just go on their own, that made a group of ten participants, not counting the weapon partners. A little bit too large for his tastes, but far better than going off alone or in smaller groups. His ear twitched when his name was mentioned, but otherwise, he just waited for the group to move.

((EDIT: sorry for that, corrected it))

Edited by ShoukaSangenshiki

((Couple quick things: Technically, it would be a group of ten participants plus Weapon Partners. Anyone who doesn't have a player will just be a background NPC.))

James nodded a little. "That seems alright with me. I think we should head to the Naturatribes next, and then work our way south before catching a ride on a boat to the north." It was an efficent means of travel, a lightning-strike plan to collect as many Crystal Shards as possible before other groups could become too powerful to stop them. The only issue was that they started in the middle of the continent, tyhough this was fixed by taking a ferry from the South to the North. It seemed like a good plan to James. "Anyone else have different ideas n that?"

Balong looked around at the rest of the contestants. It looked like nobody wanted to take charge and everyone else was waiting for each other to speak up. Shaking his head in disgust, Balong looked at Luke and said firmly, “Luke, you are the one who suggested that we asked Marissa’s family for help. Since no one has raised any objections, don’t you think it’s time for you to go into more details as to how we are going to do that?”

"All I know is that they live here." Luke tipped his head and tapped a finger on his chin, looking quite thoughtful. There was a long silence while he thought of what to do. There had been a few times where he had been to Marissa's home and saw her family. They lived in a large Phyroshogunate style mansion. At least seven or eight people lived in the building. All of them, save for her younger brother and mother, were scary and rugged looking. On a few occasions, he had heard them mention the bigger part of their family that lived back in their homeland. With s tiny, empty-headed smile he shook his head. "Nope, I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember much else about them."

The group of participants had been traveling for roughly three days, and were finally about to encroach upon the border with the Naturatribes. From what most had heard, the many tribe were enshrouded in mystery, never revealing their ways to outsiders. Of course, they really weren't all that secretive about their customs. Many just liked to believe that, as it added to the sense of mysticism and secrecy that surrounded the tribes. The group of travelers and guides had set up a small camp in a forest to let their pack animals regain their strength and gradually move forward on the journey. James woke up with a great yawn before looking over the group sleepily. Was everyone awake? He couldn't tell. Zeke greeted him with a grin and handed him a piece of egg to nibble on. The Lightningclansman wondered how long it would be until they encountered their first group of rival competitors. The idea of having a fight, unrestrained other than not killing the opponent was exhilarating. While he had technically done so with Xuong, he had intentionally been holding back. In the Naturatribes, they wouldn't have any need to. He might even be able to settle the score with the participant from Clan Leon... The mere thought made James invigorated with energy, ready to fight.