Drachenlied

Braces and Co.

I have a bite guard that I have to wear at night because I grind my teeth and have done some damage to the joints in my jaws.

One time when I woke up I found it half-way across the room on my floor.

I had to get two teeth pulled.

Got my braces off in March of this year. Blasted things tormented me for far too long XP Wouldn't smile for weeks after I got them.

I cheated with the rubber bands, too... Only wore them at night. :3

... Have to wear an upper and lower retainer now. I should be wearing them all day, but I cheat and just wear those at night as well. ^^' What can I say.

... Amusingly, though, they've taken X-rays, and apparently I was born without wisdom teeth.

/Going to get hated on by jealous people

Edited by digipup

Ugh, braces. I hated it when I had to get mine tightened, I would literally be screeching because it caused me that much pain. My orthodontist was stupid though and took my braces off too early, never bothered giving me a retainer and now my teeth are gone squish, a waste of $4000 dollars if you ask me dry.gif.

I need to get a wisdom tooth taken out on my left side sometime next month, then I think I'll try and go with Invisalign like my sister has. Never again going with metal braces.

... Amusingly, though, they've taken X-rays, and apparently I was born without wisdom teeth.

/Going to get hated on by jealous people

That's what they told me, and yet five years later there I was getting them extracted xd.png

Turns out I was just a late bloomer or something. Although, I did only have them on the top and not the bottom.

Had braces for 3 years. Did not enjoy, especially toward the end. I had to wear big metal things on my molars for the first year or two because I had an extreme overbite(it didn't look like I did because my front teeth bent inward). I also had very crowded, crooked top teeth. It's nice that they're straight and I only have to wear retainers at night, but because they're properly spaced, dental hygeine is harder to maintain than it was when my teeth were so close, nothing got stuck between them.

That's what they told me, and yet five years later there I was getting them extracted xd.png

Turns out I was just a late bloomer or something. Although, I did only have them on the top and not the bottom.

Haha, yeah, I sort of suspect that will happen to me. xd.png Same thing happened to my dad, at any rate, except he never actually got his wisdom teeth pulled. *Shakes head*

Getting my braces after what, 4 years of pre-stuff (expanders and retainers and I don't even know). Not happy about it as I play trumpet and... they don't mix too well. 14 months isn't awful, but I'll have two appliances on the bottom and roof of my mouth for another what, 8 years? biggrin.gif My mouth is seriously messed up though, so it's expected. I had a tooth growing towards my nose and missing 2 others (not including all four wisdom teeth). biggrin.gif

Does anyone else feel like they couldn't bite as well after getting braces? dry.gif

I had a bad crossbite in addition to an overbite and a misaligned jaw. I can chew better now that my teeth are actually aligned. tongue.gif

Annoying but in my case necessary, unless I wanted my teeth to crowd some others out of my jaw.

Still using my retainer nightly but getting lax about that.

Does anyone else feel like they couldn't bite as well after getting braces? dry.gif

Totally. I just got my braces on yesterday. >.<' It feels weird, because I can bite down all the way. My brackets stop me from doing it.

And, Infinis. There's no reason to be scared. I just got mine yesterday, as I said above. The worst thing is the conditioner they put on your teeth to activate the glue, because it tastes absolutely horrible. xd.png But, so far, I'm in no pain. I have a bit of discomfort, but that's due to the springs pushing my teeth back. If I ever get to the point where I can't stand it (which I highly doubt), I've got left over Motrin from getting my teeth pulled. smile.gif

Don't get them.

1) Gumline retreat. Mine was almost a direct cause of braces.

2) Wire retainer at the back of the teeth traps food and makes life brushing them difficult. Which is removed roughly 20 years later.

3) Dentists are obviously ///// at telling people that they have wisdom teeth means you need them removed, to eke out profit. Particularly when you have exams and can't study because you mouth kills. Also, the painkilling medication basically contains Opium. >:( The mouthwash they give you and you have to use may cause cancer

I've had my braces for a year and a half, and I don't like them. At all. I get them off in March, though. o3o

I always get cuts and cold sores because of the darn things, but my teeth have really straightened up. They were terrible. The teeth that are next to my two front teeth were pretty much completely crooked, and I had a horrible under bite (Or whatever it's called.), so when I first got my braces, my bottom teeth would completely cover up my top braces. >.<"

Now I have rubber bands that I have to wear during the day and sleep in, and my orthodontist said that my teeth are right on schedule, so I'm extremely happy about that. ~ :3

I'm gonna get braces soon. And from what i have heard (and experienced) spacers are the worst part. I got them already, now i have an expander (suppost to align my jaw) and i'm gonna get braces to. Not really looking forward to spending high school with braces all over my teeth... I just hope they will do their job!

Ive had braces for 4 years now, and I need them for at least half a year more. They originally told me I would only need them for 2 years.

It started out bad. The first 3 days with them on I could only eat soup because my teeth hurt so much.

Alright, so I wasnt moving very quickly. They give my elastics. I wear them.. somewhat. I got bullied constantly so I almost never wore them during the day, and when I wore them at night my teeth hurt so much I couldnt eat anything but oatmeal in the morning.

Ortho says I need headgear. Fine. I get it, and wear it faithfully at night, even though the lump of plastic and cloth at the back of my head keeps me awake, and the metal part hits my pillow. 2 years have elapsed

So, the headgear is doing nothing. They have to extract 2 teeth. I get them extracted, the process went much better than expected.

My brackets are falling off constantly because the glue is old. Every time they fall off they have to scour the glue off with a drill. This hurts my teeth, so. censorkip.gif. bad. I am literally crying every time they do it, and even with the numbing gel it hurts a LOT.

Alright, so finally I'm making progress. Everything seems to be normal now.. except, the Ortho tells me that when I get my braces removed, they have to drill every single tooth with a bracket on it. Yeah. No. Im probably gonna get put under before they do that. Im not letting them touch my mouth without some kind of painkiller.

Overall, Im unhappy with this treatment. Why didn't they just remove the teeth in the first place? Why did they go through all that elastics and headgear bull censorkip.gif?

Not to mention during the ENTIRE treatment, my mouth is cut up and is sore all the time.

And because of the braces, Ive developed a habit of chewing on my shirt, plastic things, zippers, etc. I do it all the time.

*sigh*

/endrant

Edited by canobiecrazy

I have braces and I have been having them for a couple of months... and they DO NOT hurt. During the first step, (getting those... er... blue thingies on) you will not be able to eat properly and it feels like your teeth are glued together. The top part isn't that troublesome... then comes the bottom part. Millions more troublesome than the top part; my left cheek is getting stabbed repeatedly. The wax that they give you doesn't really help as much.

According to my brother who had braces, then a retainer, all that work and trouble is all worth it at the end.

Also, I'm not sure about the other parts... how it feels getting tightened and the rubber bands and such.

I got braces on my top row a few years ago, as well as the bands and an expander.

I hated the expander most of all (can't really remember why).

Didn't help much as some of the teeth there as well as a few in the bottom one are crooked.

I'm also going to have to experience getting braces on both rows this time in the future, as well as an expander again.

So, I've had my braces for a little while now. Anyone know how in the hell to STOP these darn wires gouging the inside of my cheeks? I have no wax (I ran out) and cotton balls aren't the best alt. because they keep falling off...

So, I've had my braces for a little while now. Anyone know how in the hell to STOP these darn wires gouging the inside of my cheeks? I have no wax (I ran out) and cotton balls aren't the best alt. because they keep falling off...

Try asking your orthodontist for more wax? :/

That was how I solved that problem when I got my braces.

and omg I hate elastics. They snap everytime I yawn too wide. x_X

Had them for about three years; never again. I'm so happy I got them off because now I actually smile showing my teeth. Confidence is back.

I seem to remember getting them adjusted and then having to eat soup for every meal for about a day afterward because they made my mouth so sore. And then when I got them off my teeth felt unnaturally smooth, but i think that's a common reaction when braces come off.

Uhh, I have to get a cavity on the bottom filled and then go get my bottom braces on the same day.

..Yaaay. >_>

Thanks, Stunningfire. I went to the ortho and he clipped my wires, then gave me a bunch of wax. I haven't used the slightest bit of wax since my wires have been clipped. xd.png

I had them a long time ago. I had this one tooth that had come in so crooked it popped the bracket off several times, once while the orthodontist was tightening them. I ended up having to have a band put on that tooth.

I got braces during my senior year of high school, last December. It sucked, lol. dry.gif

Still wearing 'em. Getting a break from the rubber bands though, thank god. Hopefully by the end of this year I'll have 'em off.