Drachenlied

Braces and Co.

I had mine for about 2 years. It was a pain in the butt but definitely worth it in the long run.

I do not have braces right now, but I might get them in the future. My dentist hasn't mentioned them yet. I hope I will not get them, because it sounds like a very unpleasant experience.

Worth it in the end.

I eat everything I'm not supposed to. The only problem I've had with my braces was the wires shifting so that they poked my gums, and a quick 30-second appointment fixed it. Yes, they hurt at first, and a bit when they get tightened, but I'm on my last soft wire, so I should be getting them off in 3-6 months happy.gif I noticed a visible difference within 2 weeks of getting them. My lower left canine was jutting out and was almost completely in line after that time.

I had a retainer-expander in 4th grade. THAT I hated. Hurt my teeth, made talking impossible, etc. At least it fixed my overbite. My lip bumper was no fun either.

have en right now. getting them off in 9 days !! i cant wait. itll fell so weird.

i think ive had them for like... a yearish? a bit more than a year

I have had braces since September/October and they started me off with a palate expander (glued in, mind you) and brackets. Getting fitted for an expander was awful and the first few weeks were torture, but I see the benefit already. I have always had a small mouth and my smiles are visibly wider now. It caused a gap in my front teeth but that closed in no time once I stopped turning the expander. I'm getting it out in 10 weeks... Then I can finally eat bread, rice, and pasta normally. tongue.gif

Edited by HollyTheColliegirl

Just got them tightened today - and I'm getting them off in 10 weeks.

I have an elastic band on my left side though; it makes talking/eating kind of awkward. :<

And my gums bled a lot... I've never been good with brushing my teeth, even though I brush using the electric toothbrush, manual at night, inter-dental all the time, and then use mouthwash.

I've had braces for about a year and 4 months, and retainers for about 4/5 months before that. Really not sure how long I have to have them on, but I know I am waiting for a tooth to come up dry.gif I'm pretty sure I would have had them off before now, if not for that tooth.

...but I know I am waiting for a tooth to come up dry.gif I'm pretty sure I would have had them off before now, if not for that tooth.

This reminds me why I actually came to this thread yesterday. xd.png I have a question I'd like a few opinions on.

I have an undescended bicuspid tooth that the orthodontist has been watching carefully because it was weirdly positioned, slanted slightly rather than straight up and down. 1-2 years ago they pulled a few slow moving baby teeth to make room for it and others to come through. The other teeth came through except that one, and they're giving the bicuspid some time.

The important thing is that they got it into a good position and there is a nice big space waiting for it.

Now, for the problem:

I got my braces tightened a few days ago, and they (not the actual ortho, a lady who was young and seemed inexperienced because she put the wrong wire on at first) put a spring in to close the gap where my tooth needs to be coming through! I am worried it will leave me back at square one with no room for the tooth to poke through. I will probably bring it up to my orthodontist but I'd just like to see if anyone else here has experience with undescended teeth.

I have had braces since September/October and they started me off with a palate expander (glued in, mind you) and brackets. Getting fitted for an expander was awful and the first few weeks were torture, but I see the benefit already. I have always had a small mouth and my smiles are visibly wider now. It caused a gap in my front teeth but that closed in no time once I stopped turning the expander. I'm getting it out in 10 weeks... Then I can finally eat bread, rice, and pasta normally.  tongue.gif

yikes! I would have thought since I had braces the technology would be less painful! a palette expander scounds scary and painful as heck. I have a small mouth to, and 18 spacers was painful enough(plus the permanent gaps..... dry.gif ) can't imagine somthing stretching out my mouth like that. sad.gif

Edited by Erithan

yikes! I would have thought since I had braces the technology would be less painful!  a palette expander scounds scary and painful as heck. I have a small mouth to, and 18 spacers was painful enough(plus the permanent gaps..... dry.gif ) can't imagine somthing stretching out my mouth like that. sad.gif

The worst part was having someone in your mouth every day with a pointy metal object trying to find the tiniest keyhole possible... and then having to push said key practically to the back of your throat to turn the expander. blink.gif The turning only caused an ache, which an aspirin would take care of. Unfortunately the ache would often hit me in the middle of the night because I turned mine before bed.

I got mine the summer before middle school. I had a retainer before and honestly the worst part for me was not being able to play the trumpet. I had them for a long time but they corrected my overbite and straightened my teeth that came in rather wonky.

Having a small mouth runs in my family, so of course my teeth were overcrowded. I wore braces for 6 years, but finally got them off in my freshman year of HS. Now my teeth are all straight. biggrin.gif

Edited by Dimar

Just got mine off! I've had them since the end of third grade

Also, my dentists are very bad at estimating: "You'll only have to have them for 6 months!"

Yeah, sure. Not.

Also, was anyone else not able to handle the rubber bands? For some reason when they tried to do rubber bands on me they hurt a ton. More than when I got my actual braces on! So they had to not do them ninja.gif I don't think that had much to do with their bad estimate though, it had already been a few years.

Edited by kiyye

Getting mine off Nov. 14 @ 10 in the morning! So excited. I've been dying to have a caramel apple and can't because of these stupid things. First thing I'm going to buy is a whole package caramel apples and eat it without any regrets. smile.gif

Getting mine off Nov. 14 @ 10 in the morning! So excited. I've been dying to have a caramel apple and can't because of these stupid things. First thing I'm going to buy is a whole package caramel apples and eat it without any regrets. smile.gif

Congratz! I'm getting my braces off soon as well smile.gif

I had braces as a teen; now I just have the wire thingies behind my teeth. Since yesterday something happened with them though; on the right side the metal end is suddenly sticking out of the whatever-is-keeping-it-stuck-to-my-teeth. It's sharp :/ Gonna have to find a dentist, haven't been to one yet since I moved here xd.png

Wearing retainers now and have been doing so since about April-May-ish. :3 I used to have to wear them full-time but now I can wear them night-time. They're unbelievably straight and barely move at all. It's definitely worth it. biggrin.gif

Just got braces on today. I'm very, very close to crying. I didn't think it would be this painful.

I might be getting mine off in the near future. After four years! smile.gif

Going in for a double implant on Friday, and if there's enough space (i.e. it's successful), I'll be getting these suckers off~~~~

Just got braces on today. I'm very, very close to crying. I didn't think it would be this painful.

It'll get much better, but ick :< Just gotta tough it out unfortunately.

Edited by High Lord November

I have one appointment left with my orthodontist for a retainer check, and if everything is okay, then I am done!

I got mine last month, and just had them tightened today...the pain is annoying but it's not that bad xd.png

Edited by Pixel.G

I've had mine on for about 3-4 months now. For some reason I kind of enjoy having them on. o_O I don't know why... My teeth are already noticeably straighter, and I love not having to be embarrassed about "wiggly" teeth. If you're really good about brushing and flossing, they are not so bad. And you can just take some pain killer if your teeth are too sore. I had been really scared at first, but after I got them on, I realized they weren't as bad as I had thought.

I got my top and part of my bottom braces off on Monday, and I get the rest off on Wednesday 8D I'm very excited. I also get my permanent bottom retainer and night-time top retainer then. My teeth are so straight that I hardly recognize myself xd.png