Drachenlied

Braces and Co.

I looked for a thread dedicated to braces and co., but I couldn't find one. So, I decided to create one. If I looked over a thread dedicated to braces, then can you please redirect me? If not, then commence the posting!

Okay. I know that I can't be the only one on the DC Forum who has (or, rather, will have) braces. You never really seem to see anyone talking about them. But, have you ever wanted to? If so, then feel free to post anything related to braces here! Funny stories, experiences, worries and misconceptions, along with questions... All are welcomed. smile.gif

Note : Any rude comments or bashing WILL be reported! I hope to keep this thread clean of such things, as those with braces are not different than those without.

Edited by god.ofthedead

Used to have 'em, now I wear a retainer. My teeth just won't set.

I tell you, once you get your braces on you'll forget how smooth teeth are. xd.png

But yeah, mine. Mine weren't fun. They'd cut the inside of my mouth, and when I got them tightened I could barely eat. Don't mean to scare you, but that's how it was.

I have braces and will be getting them off shortly. Few good things I've had about braces and bad. Heres my list:

Good Benifits about having Braces:

-Fixed my jaw alingment

-fixed my one tooth that was beyongly messed up

-less wear down in the long run

-I can chew a little better

-Get to miss first 2 houres of school just to get them cheacked every 4 weeks

-Get to fling your rubber bands at teachers when they're not looking (hahahah! Im so evile)

-You get to have them be pretty colors rolleyes.gif

Bad Outcomes of having Braces:

-Had to miss frist two hours of school

-Hurt after getting them on

-Hurts after getting them tightened every 4 weeks

-Have to have rubber bands in your mouth, such a big turn off

-So diffucult to get clean

-Always had nasty junk suck in them. Again its a big turn off

-Cant eat certain foods

-They brake ever so offten if you diside to eat what youre not suppost to

-They dig out holes in your mouth with all the pointly wire they got!

-My little cusin always wants to touch them! EWW!! (he's 4 years old too) blink.gif

And there's always more to each list! Go ahead and keep adding to it! tongue.gif I wanna see what You guys come up with! Rigjt now one of the things that stick out that you put a rubber band on is digging a hole in my lip and I had wax but then the wax got stuck under my gums and it hurt so its either digging a hole or inflamated guns. hmmm......I WANT THEM OFF!!!!! But im scared to get them off cuz then my jaw might have issues again... wacko.gifcensorkip.gif

I almost got them. But then they said if I got a growth spurt, everything would be undone. So I'll have to get them in college. Joy.

My braces broke on the first day I got them. I was eating fries and kabam! My bracket on my last tooth on the top right fell off. I had a wire jabbing into the back of my mouth and I was an hour away from my orthodontist's office. The rest of the time with my braces wasn't so bad. I only had to wear them for a year and eight months. I got a retainer after that, but it's cracked now so I don't even use it anymore. My teeth are still fine, though. Just as perfect as ever.

I had these so-called "speed braces" on my top incisors when I was younger (7th-8th grade I believe). They were I guess quicker than most braces, as I only had them on for 6 months, but during the process they broke just about every other day- even though I was extremely careful with them.

I do have to admit that I was terribly irresponsible about wearing my retainer though. It just made it so horribly difficult to enunciate anything D: I felt like I was three years old again.

I keep getting told I need braces.

And I keep wondering why the teeth that are so horribly out of line can't just be pulled. My mouth is too small for all these gigundous teeth anyway.

Either way I don't look forward to either. Pain of any kind is not something I deal all that well with, especially not mouth pain. ;_; And if the wires are going to break and cut my mouth then that is something I don't want. I'd rather have funny-looking teeth my whole life than that. DX /is terrified of braces

And what is it you can't eat while you have braces? And what is a retainer? o.O

@libby: what was wrong with your jaw alignment? o.O

I keep getting told I need braces.

And I keep wondering why the teeth that are so horribly out of line can't just be pulled. My mouth is too small for all these gigundous teeth anyway.

Either way I don't look forward to either. Pain of any kind is not something I deal all that well with, especially not mouth pain. ;_; And if the wires are going to break and cut my mouth then that is something I don't want. I'd rather have funny-looking teeth my whole life than that. DX /is terrified of braces

Same here, I need them but I'm beyond terrified Dx

Plus, too expensive....

I have braces right now. I had them before a few years ago and got them put back on, going through some two-stage thing.

They actually don't hurt me that badly. For the first day or so they did, but I can forget I even have them in sometimes. It's not that unpleasant. I never get cut.

It's the bloody spacers that killed me. Those little rubber bands they put between my teeth... agh. They made me miss out on taco night. ;__; (yes, mom and dad, it was a genius idea making hardshell tacos for dinner the same day your child gets spacers put in!) I forgot what retainers were like, but I'm pretty sure they hurt for the first few days, too. After that everything was fine. x3 Plus, I got my retainer designed like a watermelon. :D

Edited by Switch

Oh god. Braces.

I'm convinced that they screwed up my jaw, but realistically that's probably due to me grinding my teeth at night. :U

I had them for about three years, rubber bands and all. No hard foods, no chewy foods, and no popcorn. Of course I broke every one of these rules. Surprisingly my braces never broke. I was amazed.

Tightening was the worst. I remember nights where I would just be awake all night because the advil wasn't taking away the pain. Plus side is that I got soup a lot, one of my fave foods. <3

Now that they're off, I have to wear a removable retainer on top at night, and a permanent one on the bottom. It's really small though, like a teeny piece of metal, so I'm fine with it. I have to wear those until college, three more years.

Tuesday I'll be going to the dentist's. And I'm supposed to have my braces for about six months (pretty good teeth, I only have an overlap with my front two teeth so). Not really looking forward to it, to be honest.

I hate them. I've got this "Palette Extender" that takes up half the room in my mouth and food gets caught in it every time I eat. My bottom teeth are so bad that they couldn't put a normal wire on it. Instead they used some sort of flexible spring thing.

I go back to the dentists this friday. Hopefully they'll finally remove this Extender.

I just got top braces a few weeks ago, but i'm getting bottom ones in a few weeks. I'm going to get the rubber bands in a few months too. I have dark purple braces right now. They're uncomfortable at worst.

For the people who are afraid, it really doesn't hurt as much as people seem to say it does... Unless i'm just really tolerant of pain. dry.gif

I just got my braces taken off biggrin.gif

I had to wear plates for a year to widen my bite which hurt like hell. Now i'm on the clear plates for 3 months.

i had braces. i just recently got retainers instead. theyre a whole lot more work to maintain. lol. and yeah, you really do forget how smooth teeth are xd.png glad i dont have braces anymore though:

for a long time, i really liked going to the dentist/orthodontist for braces etc. but ever since one particular time at the orthodontist's...ugh.

the woman was trying to put my wire back in at the end, using whatever sharp tool it was, and one tooth was being annoying. she was having difficulties putting the wire into the brace, and she just pushed it harder and harder.

until she slipped.

You cant have popcorn, you cant have gum, hard candys, chew candys (Halloween is now hell!), uh...other stuff but I dont care. I still eat it. smile.gif

and retainers are thingys that you put in your mouth to keep your teeth in line but dont move them. I suck at explaining. :/

and about my jaw, Its not like in the right place so everytime I opened it to were I could get my segment of my thumb with the nail on it between my teeth, even sooner before that point it would make this horrable loud popping noise and it would hurt so bad! Like stabbing pain! with a butter knife! The jaw bones weren't fitting right and my braces did in fact fix that. I cant open my mouth fine now, but thats why im scared to get them off...what if it goes back to that cuz I noticed if I dont were rubber bands in while it goes back and it hurts more.

I have a retainer now. But I've stopped wearing it for the time being because now I can't bite down properly, anymore >_> I'll start wearing them again when my teeth go back to normal. I'm starting to be able to bite down right already, though, so it won't be long before I wear them again.

Braces were not fun. When I got them off, I couldn't stop grinning because OMG THERE AREN'T METAL THINGS POKING MY MOUTH ANYMORE.

Then Celebration came on and my orthodontist walked out with a vuvuzela, giving me root beer, popcorn, and whole bunch of chewy candies. That was awesome, except the song scared me half to death because it was LOUD.

But yeah. It was worth it. Now I don't have to eat like an idiot :3

I had to wear braces for one year, and I hated the rubber bands. I couldn't talk right, and they hurted like crazy. So I didn't wear them, but the lady who checked thought I wore them. xd.png It doesn't really hurt when they put the braces on, but it hurts like crazy during the evening. Right now, I got my braces off, but I have to wear a removable retainer (top and bottom) at night. But when I had braces, since I had an accent, it just made my accent worse. tongue.gif

Anything hard, crunchy, chewy, sticky, acidic, or very sugary. Like pretzels, carrots, popcorn, Starbursts, gum, apples, soda pop, nuts, jerky, taffy, lemonade, pizza crust, tacos, corn-on-the-cob, whole bagels, dried fruit, potato chips, caramel, etc.... Basically if you need your teeth to eat it, or if it might cause tartar under your brackets, don't eat it DX

Retainers:

user posted image

You wear them (for years) after your braces are off to keep your teeth from moving back out of place. They pop in and out, so you can remove them to eat, sleep, brush, etc.

I had such a fun experience with braces. dry.gif I had them 8 years, even though they predicted 3 max. Now I have to wear my retainer the rest of my freaking life.

The first two weeks I had braces I couldn't eat solid foods. Literally my gums bled if I even tried.

Retainers:

user posted image

You wear them (for years) after your braces are off to keep your teeth from moving back out of place. They pop in and out, so you can remove them to eat, sleep, brush, etc.

Hmm, my retainer doesn't look like that. Mine's more like an Invisalign retainer thingy, where it's just clear plastic that fits over your teeth. It's a lot nicer than one of those pictured (I had to wear one for a couple years before braces), you can pronounce everything without a lisp for the most part, lol.

@libby: My jaw does that too. Braces didn't fix it though. Actually, my ortho wasn't very helpful in the matter at all. So we went to my dentist and he said I have to get a bite splint.

/offtopic

I had a palette expander for a year, and then braces for two years. I had four teeth removed to make room for one canine tooth that was sticking out of my gums instead of being in the line up where it was supposed to be. I had SO many things wrong with my teeth it wasn't even funny. I've been braces-free for two years. I wear a retainer, but only at night, luckily. And because I had braces, I don't need my wisdom teeth removed. As opposed to my sister, who only had braces for a year and didn't need any extractions, now needs her wisdom teeth out.

I'm getting my braces off on the 22nd... I had bravces once in fifth grade, and then I got them off, but then I got them back on again two years ago.

Had braces for 4 years when I was a kid/teen. Teeth extractions, headgear, rubber bands, power chains... etc you name it.

My teeth have since shifted (thanks for nothing, braces and retainer) so I've been considering braces for a 2nd time now as an adult.

Edited by Leidarendi