Drachenlied

Braces and Co.

I don't really need braces, gonna wait until... iunno May or June to get them, they can't really hurt you...

Bleh. Got my teeth cleaned yesterday for the first time with braces on. That wasn't pleasant. The nurse who cleaned my teeth was a little too barbaric with the scraping tool...

I had braces from age 12-14, I think. It was soooo nice to get them off! When I got in the car, my mom handed me this little gift bag and it was filled with all my favorite foods I couldn't eat with braces: Skittles, Salted Nut Roll bar, carrots, an apple, and some other stuff I can't remember. happy.gif

At this point I'm done with going back there. It's annoying having to still wear my retainer (well, both the permanent wires on the back of my teeth and the plastic one I have to put in once every few weeks).

Had braces for 2 years and a bit, just down to a top retainer at night and a permanent bottom one.

Also, the pain of removal is exaggerated, no worse than the scrapper at the dentist (which is essentially what it is...)

The worst part was getting a staff lanyard photo the camp i worked while re-learning to smile without braces. Huge angry face on my chest all summer :P

edit: dang it, i said no emotes.

Edited by votehim

LONG, LONG Story

Ok, so, I started going to the orthodontist when i was like 8 or 9, and I had like a ton of stuff wrong with my mouth I had a Crossbite, Underbite, Even though my teeth were growing in straight for the most part,,

Then i kept going back year afer year, they told me i needed Headgear, braces, etc..

Then when I came back for my 11th Year.. I saw a different orthodontist, and I needed an expander and shiz....

So at that time (i believe it was spring 2011) My little sister started the whole process.. She got the impressions and stuff and yeah.

So like end of summer I started getting impressions and stuff and yeah, in fall i got the WONDERFUL Expander... Bleh

So i had to crank it the 24 times or whatever, and i went back the next time and i had tocrank it like 10 more times i was like ibernffbdjski

Then i went back the next month, and one of the bars that come up to the front was growing on TOP of one of my teeth, so now its all crooked and shiz... and they had to wait to take it out and put it back in...

So yeah, i just went like this week to get that bar taken out... and they told me I have like 4 more molars I have to let fall out, then let grow back in.....

My teeth are like so slow, so before I can even think of getting Braces, I have to wait for the Dang teeth!!!

SO YEAH, I GOTS AN EXPANDER< IM 12 NOW< AND I HAVE TO HAVE BRACES AND OTHER STUFF IN MY MOUTH TILL IM 17, AND THEN I HAVE TO GET A JAW CORRECTAL SURGERY....

BLEH!!

LONG, LONG Story

Ok, so, I started going to the orthodontist when i was like 8 or 9, and I had like a ton of stuff wrong with my mouth I had a Crossbite, Underbite, Even though my teeth were growing in straight for the most part,,

Then i kept going back year afer year, they told me i needed Headgear, braces, etc..

Then when I came back for my 11th Year.. I saw a different orthodontist, and I needed an expander and shiz....

So at that time (i believe it was spring 2011) My little sister started the whole process.. She got the impressions and stuff and yeah.

So like end of summer I started getting impressions and stuff and yeah, in fall i got the WONDERFUL Expander... Bleh

So i had to crank it the 24 times or whatever, and i went back the next time and i had tocrank it like 10 more times i was like ibernffbdjski

Then i went back the next month, and one of the bars that come up to the front was growing on TOP of one of my teeth, so now its all crooked and shiz... and they had to wait to take it out and put it back in...

So yeah, i just went like this week to get that bar taken out... and they told me I have like 4 more molars I have to let fall out, then let grow back in.....

My teeth are like so slow, so before I can even think of getting Braces, I have to wait for the Dang teeth!!!

SO YEAH, I GOTS AN EXPANDER< IM 12 NOW< AND I HAVE TO HAVE BRACES AND OTHER STUFF IN MY MOUTH TILL IM 17, AND THEN I HAVE TO GET A JAW CORRECTAL SURGERY....

BLEH!!

Trust me, I know how you feel I've still got three baby teeth left before braces and I'm almost 14. dry.gif My options are: A. Pull them out by myself. B. Have them pulled by the dentist.

I'm choosing A.

Trust me, I know how you feel I've still got three baby teeth left before braces and I'm almost 14. dry.gif My options are: A. Pull them out by myself. B. Have them pulled by the dentist.

I'm choosing A.

Yeah, I wil pull them out by myself, but I just really want to get on with the process!!

Trust me, getting your teeth pulled doesn't hurt. If you keep yourself well medicated on the Motrin they give you, you'll be fine.

And, I has a terrible realization the other day. I only thought that I'd have to have bands on one set of molars... Nope. I've got to have them on 2. Doesn't sound too bad, but it's the very back teeth that'll have they. Oh, joy.

I have braces.

I have also developed a nervous habit of picking at my braces. A lot of the ones on the top row have their lock things broken now and are now held together by bits of wire.

Just got my braces on a month ago, had all my friends telling me getting them on hurt so bad, blablabla. Got em on and barely felt a thing. What they forgot to tell me was that for the next week I would be extremely sore, and that was a very unpleasant surprise. I'll be getting them off at the end of my junior year in high school, yikes, my teeth were a bit slow coming out, weren't they. Lol I also think I've managed I break a bracket already biggrin.gif

I got mine literally yesterday.

MY MOUTH DOES NOT FEEL RIGHT, DOES NOT LOOK RIGHT, AND HURTS LIKE A *bleep*!

Also, how do you eat? It hurts to eat anything but soup.

Also, how do you eat? It hurts to eat anything but soup.

When I first got mine, it took around a week for me to resume eating anything that involved crushing/tearing. So just give it some time and you should be able to eat like normal again. Painkillers and soups/ice cream/the softy stuff will be your friends until then.

Bunnyo22, I ate what I could rip apart into small pieces and whatever was soft enough to chew without having too many problems. During these first few days, remember that Jell-O and ice cream are your friends. I ate them, a lot, when I got mine on.

As for your mouth not feeling right... You'll get used to that. Granted, it'll take a week or two, but you will. If you notice any sharp spots or uncomfortable spots, use the dental wax they should've given you. Trust me, it's not fun to wake up in the morning with a big chunk of you cheek rubbed away from the metal, but this only happened where I had springs.

All in all, you'll feel better in about a week and a half. Getting them on doesn't such, but that week that follows does. The next 2 or 3 adjustments will suck, too, but you get used to it after that. Mine don't hurt anymore whenever I get them adjusted, unless I bite into something really hard. It brings tears to my eyes then...

... But I don't enjoy soup enough to eat only that for a week.

I will not survive.

Edit:

jello.. I will consider asking for some then. And yeah, the wax stuff seems to come out of place a lot though. Like.. you gotta hold it there kinda. And sounds like the entire thing will just be two big ol years of pain.

Edited by Bunnyo22

I also considered yogurt my friend (I also don't like most soups) when my teeth had to experience more pain because of the braces xd.png

I hope I get my braces off this summer or something (it's been almost 2 years since I got the upper braces and I think it's been 1,5 years for the bottom ones then)... my teeth look pretty good already.

I've got braces [light blue ones]. Got them fitted near the end of Easter holidays... I had to get 4 of my teeth taken out since my mouth was so small. I still have my braces now [2nd month with them]... Since my teeth are moving inwards to close all the gaps, I've got this long piece of the wire jabbing my gum at the back of my mouth =_="

Apparently your teeth feel huge after you get braces off. *braces self*

Got my brace off not too long ago cool.gif

But seriously despite how annoying they are,they will help sooo much

I had braces for 2 years and 2 months and i didnt think that they hurt as much as what other people said. Before I got my braces I had a baby tooth and 2 adult teeth removed. I even have before and after pictures if anyone was interested (beware that the before picture looks pretty gross!)

Pictures of before and after braces

if you look closely you can see that there is a tooth behind the very front right one. That tooth was moved out from behind and is now the one sitting next to my front right tooth in the after picture. My mouth was a mess and i think my orthodontist did a great job :D

Orthodontist is having me wear rubber bands, now. Apparently I have kind of an overbite, which I wasn't aware of. They ache quite a bit, but the pain goes away quickly when I take them off to eat, so it could be much worse.

Edited by Switch

I got my braces off since the last time I posted in this thread... enjoying the freedom and straight teeth(:

One of my ligature ties fell off a bracket and it was just hanging there, ever connected to the ligature tie holding the bracket next to it. I couldn't get it back on, so I ended up clipping it off with nail clippers.

I had braces in fifth through sixth grade. I hated them at first - they were miserable - but I got so accustomed to them that when I finally had them removed, my teeth felt so weird. Honestly the rubber bands I had between my molars to space out my teeth before I got braces were more painful than the braces themselves. But my orthodontist apparently didn't like clipping the wire that runs along the braces - I don't know braces terminology okay .__. - and the wire would stab at the back of my mouth on both sides, and I actually got scabs on the insides of my cheeks. That was really awful too. We had to keep going back and getting him to clip the wire and adjust it to fit.

After that I got a bottom retainer which I still have, and it is probably fused into my mouth now and will never be removed, lol, and I also got a top retainer which I only had to wear when I was at home, not in school though, which was good because I could barely talk with it. One day I somehow managed to break the wire on it and we took it in to get replaced, and the orthodontist said we would get a replacement soon.

That was years ago. I haven't seen the orthodontist since. And I never did get that replacement retainer. xd.png

Anyway, in a year or so I have to get braces again, for my bottom teeth because they are getting a bit crooked again. Blah, more fun with braces -__-

Edited by glamoursea2

Aww that sucks xd.png I have two plastic retainers (top and bottom) that I have to wear every night or else my teeth shift back again... ehh don't really mind it ;P

Went through braces (just top) and am now 4 or 5 months into the all-the-time retainer.

So far my experience has been fine except for at the first month with the retainer it was a production error at the back on the wire hold (not sure the technical term for it) so I couldn't touch my teeth together and that was quite painful.

The issue worked itself out now and things are all good.