urufu

Dragon Age

Wich game is your fave?!  

115 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

DA:O is better on a PC and DA2 is better on a console. They're oriented for different crowds, and if you go into DA2 expecting Origins, you will be disappointed.

It's not a bad game though, it's just different. Well, that and it's pretty obvious where they cut corners. I mean, when one of the big bads is recycled from DA:O DLC, there is something really, really wrong. The interface is also too slick by half for a game in a fantasy setting.

Also, Alistair is in Origins.

Alistair also makes a cameo in DA2 depending on your choices in DaO. I'm not sure if he cameos on the console version, since you can't import DaO saved games.

on console yes you can but to me DA2 worst f-ing game created by bioware and they make the best RPGs compared to most DA:O was the best mid-evil game I have ever played. Awakening it definitely could have been better and technically it did count as an expansion but I loved how they improvised that if the Warden died it would bring in the orlesion warden. and Alistair is in the game unless you kill him in the first and import(not so sure if you can)but I found out that if you exile him and you are a girl,if you romance him he will come back and say loghain killed archy, Alistair will come back and will become the king.

this has nothing to do with Dragon Age.

Anyway, I've only played Origins and most of Awakenings. Awakenings is a little more a disappointment to me.

What's the deal with awakenings?

I haven't heard much about it other than you can import DA:O characters to it.

...It's not quite as fun, is it?

D:

Origins was awesome. The combat might have been a little slow, but I loved how you had to use strategy to get through them, which is, after all, the end of any RPG, from D&D to DAO.

The story was an epic mixture of the best classics out there, a war threatening Ferelden, a group of heroes that grow from nothingness. Sweet, just like playing a modernized version of LOTR or something out of Forgotten Realms.

The graphics were not that good, and your character looked like an idiot in some cut scenes where he didn't speak, but those are minor issues compared to the depth of the game itself.

Varied scenario, beautiful dungeons to visit, like the elven forest.

The choices DID make sense, although the game is hooked to an ending, which is defeating the archdemon, but I did get a feeling that my presence there was changing the world, which is the ultimate end of any RPG. You are the hero, not the expectator.

Awakening... meh... could have been better. Origins hooked me in from the very first video scene. Awakening was a stupid rip off that should have never been made.

I don't get what Bioware is doing. WE want to play with our companions, why get in some new guys? I ended up hating everyone in the game, really, and I was never very fond of Oghren so...

It also goes against your DAO choices. In the end of my city elf gameplay, She, Alistair and Zevran went together to rebuild the Wardens. Where were Zevran and Alistair?

DA2. As a game in itself, it stands ok, with a 5-6 out of 10 rationg out of fun alone. It was entertaining, and I have quiet a few good things to say about it.

The combat system was better, specially the mage, who stopped being an idiot in robes to become a true arcane warrior. I loved the movements, so fluid, although the minions bursting into pieces was a little... comical.

The thing they've given Hawke a voice made the cinematic experience far more delightful.

The dialogue wheel, I preffered it to the dialogue tree.

The graphics were better.

Unlike many people, I was not bothered about the game being displayed in a single city.

Now, the bad things. As a stand alone, the game is all right. But when compared to its predecessor, it falls down.

The story might have been great if it had really been the Hero's Journey (*cough* Ezio Auditore *Cough*). Instead, I ended un feeling I was a mere espectator of events, I was a pawn being handled by Meredith and Orsino, and I could do nothing to change anything. That's a great idea for a book, a hero that's not a hero, but someone who is living through certain events, like in The Pillars of the World. But when I'm playing an RPG, I want to be the hero. That's the reason I play games, to change my world, to do what I normally can't do on RL basis (Like drive a Mercedes SL 55 AMG, as in GTA, or become the master assassin of the Dark Hand, as in Oblivion).

Hawke became an expectator. Her (in my case, female), options did not matter at all, which lead to the most dissapointing ending in gaming experience. My Warden had shaped Ferelden, he allied with werewolves, or with elves, broke the curse or massacred them, spoiled Andraste's Ashes or destroyed the dragon, etc, etc, etc.

Hawke... stood there while Meredith and Orsino jumped at each other's throats, oh! and did some chores for them on the way.

The way the story wraps itself in the end was so unappealing. I was expecting to reach an end to the story. I didn't. And the fact Bioware has admitted in his forums that DA3 will bring in a whole new character makes me want to avoid that game at all costs. What made Mass Effect so grand was the fact it's the story of Captain Sheppard and all who come with him.

I frankly couldn't care less for the world. I loved the world in Avatar, but this one is nothing original, nor interesting enough to stand by itself as the main character of a videogame. I have seen it hundreds of times in my extensive gaming experience, which is large. RPGs are directed at gamers like me, but if they start falling into the Halo, button smasher, console world, I'll walk away from them and look for other games. At least Bethesda is still faithful to their people, giving us what we loved so much from Arena to Oblivion.

The companions were meh. I loved Varric and Aveline. Dated both Anders and Fenris in different gameplays. But frankly, except Varric and Aveline, there was nothing great about the rest.

You've got the psycopath emo revolutionary, the emo idiot, the crazy bloodmage b....ch, Isabella was hot and her personality was all right, but she'd betray you for a cup of rum. Your siblings, I liked them until they start hating you just because, and blame you for everything.

Then there is the fact that there is no camp, and the dialogues with your companions pop up as quests, and only whenever they have something to say, which makes some things (like gaining Isabella's trust), awfully hard and nearly impossible, unless you carry them around at all times.

The camp in DAO was one of my favorite things. After leaving the tedious Deep ROads, I was really expecting to get a bit of free time in camp, talk with my companions, do whatever. It was great!

I missed that so much in DA2. I missed speaking to my companions whenever I wished.

Summarizing; DAO was an amazing game. I was expecting this one to be the same, but Bioware sold itself to EA, and this is what we should be expecting from them from now on.

What's the deal with awakenings?

I haven't heard much about it other than you can import DA:O characters to it.

...It's not quite as fun, is it?

D:

It's a bit of a slog and not quite as fun, no. It's OK though. You can import your Gray Warden into it.

Wish I had gotten it with DA Ultimate edition instead though, it wasn't worth the standalone price.

That said, Anders and Justice v 1.0 are much better than their DA2 selves. That's one thing about DA2 that really bugged me--Awakenings had an ending about Anders that DA2 completely and totally ignored.

(Re: Alistair cameo in DA2: I know about it, but that's hardly the same as getting to play with him in the party, now is it?)

DragonNighthowler, I agree with you, spot on description of DA2.

Um sorry? How was I supposed to know you knew? Sorry again. Wasn't trying to be mean.

Maybe I'll refrain from posting places if I'm just going to get a snarky reply back.

Edited by Wolfsong442

Um sorry? How was I supposed to know you knew? Sorry again. Wasn't trying to be mean.

Maybe I'll refrain from posting places if I'm just going to get a snarky reply back.

Or maybe you should refrain from posting until you can handle not overreacting.

Tone doesn't carry particularly well on the Internet, Wolfsong442. Anyhow, that wasn't snark at all, but it did have trace amounts of emotion in it that could be construed badly but were not intended so. It was also not directed at you solely.

Ah, I'm so sorry then. I've been having a bad day today.

Also, I wasn't overreacting, 7Deadly$ins. That would have contained copious amounts of exclamation marks, mean words and lots of capitalized words. Suffice to say I was slightly upset, but wasn't overreacting. I really am sorry you thought so. Don't be mad at meeee. wink.gif

Suffice to say I love Dragon Age Origins. Kinda gave up on Awakening, and haven't played DA2 all the way through yet. I plan on replaying all three on console, but I dislike playing too many things on my computer. Lag kills me. xd.png

Edited by Wolfsong442

DA2 would have been better if they didn't sell it as a Dragon Age game. All of the imported choices didn't matter anyway.

well when you say important choices do you mean in DA:O? because if you mean that, then the game would use those. just in sides.

well when you say important choices do you mean in DA:O? because if you mean that, then the game would use those. just in sides.

I said imported, not important.

feel dumb to ask but im going to play them

what order should I play them in?

Story Wise you would want to play, Origins, Awakening (even though this is just an expansion of Origins) then 2.

Dunno if there is a newer thread for this, so posting here. :L

DA3 trailer. Thoughts?

Started another playthrough of DA2 today, wheee.

Hoping this thread revives.~

This thread cannot possibly die with all of the jucity DA:I info released today.

Elves and dwarves will be playable! Squeal.

To answer the poll question: Origins had the better story and more replay value because you got more options for your Warden. DA2 had a better combat system, but I hated the repetitive environments (as in, every cave is the same, and so is every mansion) and the story wasn't as good as in DA:O. Haven't played Awakening so I can't judge it.

As for the topic of DA:I: I'm excited to be able to play as a Dwarf or Elf again and I like the concept of building and developing the Inquistion (Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!). Also happy to see Varric return as a companion as he was probably (one of) the best character(s) of DA2. Morrigan returns as well (but not as a companion), which is nice because she was my first Warden's lover.

Now Bioware just needs to let us turn into a dragon and it will be instant GOTY for me. :v