Ninetails

Count till the end of the world gets here!~

We have Cuban grassquits here that escaped from someone's luggage in the 60's. Well, descendants of those.

Those are cuter than English House Sparrows, almost like goldfinches. The House sparrows are a problem because they keep bluebirds and other birds from using birdhouses. Now, Florida, that's like an invasive species zoo. They have everything from red fireants to lionfish to parrots to iguanas to pythons. Monkeys,too, if I remember right. It's been compared to Australia because of the dangerous species there.

!!!! This was Monday. Customs officials arrested a man who arrived in Miami with two wild Cuban grassquits hidden in a vitamin bottle.

Edited by Long_Before_Sunrise

It's insane. Even if it's a great big vitamin bottle, forcing two birds into it... that's no easy task. Cruel and crazy.

Another invasive privet shrub is planted. Seriously, those need be banned. People drive by and think the woods look green and healthy. Nope. Mono pine planting with privet, pyracantha, japanese climbing fern, japanese honeysuckle, and other invasives crowding the roadside. Along with sweet gum trees, dewberry briars, and greenbrair - native plants that act like invasives. 

The government here has begun culling the Australian casuarina trees that lined some of our streets - but no one's yet done anything about the several that are off the main roads. Like they're not a problem because they weren't planted by the former (non-majority rule, i.e. white) government?

Electronic waste (old computers, phones, game boxes, etc) is a huge problem and they're often shipped overseas to poverty stricken areas that become hazardous waste sites as the poor salvage metals out of them.

There's a computer store here that collects it, but I have no clue what they then do with it.

i recycled my old computers - i take 'em to staples.  don't know where they went after that though.....

Possibly to prison. Seriously. Prisoners get the job of removing what can be recycled, because they're only paid pennies on the dollar.

i mean, i take out the memory and the hard drive. sometimes i'll put the tower out at my curb and see if any of my neighbors take it XD 

Part of me wants to join the instant gratification culture...

i see the "instant gratification" culture when my retail job doesn't have a sign at the spot where you'd need to wait for the cashier.  we did, it used to say "thank you for waiting." corporate took it, because they thought customers would see it, and think "I have to wait??"

yeesh.

*ahem*