Crisis

American Politics

There are radicals and terrorists in Northern Ireland too. That's why I was drawing a parallel. It's another region with a long history of fighting and extremism, but most people who live there aren't like that. Just like in Libya.

I can't understand what you are arguing for now - at first I thought you were saying "diplomacy doesn't work; bomb them all" but now you want an end to the war - which surely means the use of diplomacy?

If you think $70,000 is a lot of money, take a look at this site: http://costofwar.com/

Cost of war in Iraq: $807,158,228,500 and literally rising by the second.

Cost of war in Afghanistan: $568,312,127,800 and literally rising by the second.

$70,000 to say our country had nothing to do with a hate-propaganda film? Comparatively inexpensive, worth it, and the responsible thing to do, in my opinion.

There are radicals and terrorists in Northern Ireland too. That's why I was drawing a parallel. It's another region with a long history of fighting and extremism, but most people who live there aren't like that. Just like in Libya.

I can't understand what you are arguing for now - at first I thought you were saying "diplomacy doesn't work; bomb them all" but now you want an end to the war - which surely means the use of diplomacy?

If you think $70,000 is a lot of money, take a look at this site: http://costofwar.com/

Cost of war in Iraq: $807,158,228,500 and literally rising by the second.

Cost of war in Afghanistan: $568,312,127,800 and literally rising by the second.

$70,000 to say our country had nothing to do with a hate-propaganda film? Comparatively inexpensive, worth it, and the responsible thing to do, in my opinion.

Amen to this. smile.gif

There are Christian terrorists too. I am so sick of people going after Islam. The VAST majority of Muslims condemn violence. Just as the vast majority of Christians do. And both religions (and other religions too) have among their number some fairly nasty extremists who take the opposite view.

The sooner everyone realises that violence is not a solution - by ANYONE - this could possibly end. The Irish thing violence has almost stopped - but it isn't long ago that we had frequent random bombings by the IRA all over the UK. The UK did not go bomb Ireland - and thank goodness they didn't.

Edited by fuzzbucket

@skauble, sorry but I do not love the terrorists at all, or evil people who kill good people.

Wow. Christianity's gotten a whole lot more lenient than when I was growing up. I didn't even know it was optional.

But as far as terrorism goes, you do get that they don't just hate us for no reason? We've been stirring the pot in the Middle East for quite a while when we should have been staying out of things. You can hate the terrorists and think that we should take swift action, but America is not an innocent victim in all of this.

I don't understand why we tend to hold on to the misdeeds of others while continuously believing ours simply fade away.

But as far as terrorism goes, you do get that they don't just hate us for no reason? We've been stirring the pot in the Middle East for quite a while when we should have been staying out of things. You can hate the terrorists and think that we should take swift action, but America is not an innocent victim in all of this.

I don't understand why we tend to hold on to the misdeeds of others while continuously believing ours simply fade away.

And by saying that, you show that you are the kind of American who might just manage to be part of the solution ! wub.gif

Wow. Christianity's gotten a whole lot more lenient than when I was growing up. I didn't even know it was optional.

Yeah, I was under the impression that "Love thy neighbour" was one of the biggest points Jesus made.

I guess that was a mistranslation, and "Love them unless it's inconvenient for you, then hate their guts and bomb them" is what the NT really meant to say...?

(Also, since when was Christianity the state religion of the USA?)

@WereJace, I think pregnancy should be covered yes. Abortion, no if it is just because someone does not want their child. Now if the baby can kill the mother or the baby is so deformed, yes.

@skauble, My personal take on this is, this is not fair for an employer to have to pay for someones's carelessness if they get pregnant. This is not a DISEASE. This is a choice that each one of us have, male and female to have sex, with protection or no protection. You should be responsible for your own action, do not blame someone else for your mistake. Even if you were taking precautions, you still know it can fail and you can get pregnant. Why should anyone other than the two parties who chose to have sex, fix this!!!

BENGHAZI, Libya

I was watching the news last night and saw our ambassador being drug out in the street by his attackers.

These radicals whatever you want to call them, do not want peace, and as far as I am concerned this was a terrorist attack, I knew it when it happened ... now even Obama and his crew are saying it was a terrorist attack. But yet some want to put Romney down for already knowing it was a terrorist attack!!! I would cut off all foreign aid to these countries since we are hated so much. I also saw pictures and film where the radicals or terrorist, had Obama's coffin with the US flag over it and then started to burn it. That is how well they love Obama.

Obama is a laughing stock over in these countries as he aplogizes. This man has got to stop aplogizing. This shows weakness of a president and the American people.

Obama has also spent our tax money to have an ad that runs over there saying we had nothing to do with the film. I was half asleep, but I think the ad cost 70 thousound dollars. So this is how our tax money is being spent, nice isn't it. I did watch the ad. This is a ridiculous waste of our tax money.

Below is a reference

Hannity referenced a recent Associated Press report that revealed the U.S. State Department is spending roughly $70,000 on television ads in Pakistan, which the host said are meant to “apologize to all those radicals” whose feelings were hurt by the anti-Muslim YouTube clip being blamed for all of the violent protests across the globe.

According to Palin, Obama has weakened America regarding foreign policy, turning it into a “paper tiger” that will not defend itself or follow through on its threats.

“I don’t consider Barack Obama a leader, I consider him a politician,” she added

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/hannity-ri...s-of-americans/

Yet employers WILL pay for someone to have a child in the form of maternity leave. I'd think employers would rather pay for cheap birth control or an abortion than pay for someone's very expensive maternity leave. Especially if it happens multiple times.

A humble country is much more respected than an obnoxious, egotistical country. Think of it like people: Who would you rather hang out with, someone more modest, or the person blind to their faults and shouting "We're number one!" and telling everyone else they need to be just like them. Everyone hates that guy. No one wants to help that guy.

I'm from Canada, a country viewed as quite meek, but they aren't attacking us because we're weak. They attack the US because the US is so obnoxious with it's lifestyle and culture that they feel threatened that it will corrupt their culture. I mean, when you go around invading countries to try to bring democracy, that's pretty darn egotistical to just assume that your form of government is supreme and that everyone not like you needs to be forced to change. They hate you because they view you as the Borg come to destroy their culture and assimilate them.

It is very hard to intimadate the terrorists, lol. They love to die fighting ... remember they think they will go to the virgins in the sky. Also, their families rejoice when they commit suicide blowing up Americans. How do we feel and act when a love one dies or is killed in war time!!!

Why is it, the Mexicans and everyone else wants to live here in the Good Ole USA!!!!

My sister is a history major. She is 63 yrs old. She has been studing this stuff for years.

I guess anyone of you that can get something free will take it, especially if your employer has to pay for it.

I asked my sister who is older than me, should an employer have to pay for an abortion, or your Birth Control pills ... she said no. That is something we do on our own time.

The world does not owe us .... we owe the world to live in it.

If any of you think the terrorists will agree with what you are posting about a humble world, feel free to ask, and see what the answer is they give you, or see what they do to you if you do not agree with them, lol.

Just ask a soldier and see what they tell you.

Those of you that post on here, are you in the Military, are you willing to go and fight ... do you know how a soldier feels!!!

Edited by ~Kat~

It is very hard to intimadate the terrorists, lol. They love to die fighting ... remember they think they will go to the virgins in the sky. Also, their families rejoice when they commit suicide blowing up Americans. How do we feel and act when a love one dies or is killed in war time!!!

Our very own domestic emotional terrorists, the Westboro Baptist Church, are even worse. They rejoice when OTHER PEOPLE'S loved ones are killed, and they go to the funerals and say so. Talk about horrible. sad.gif

Why is it, the Mexicans and everyone else wants to live here in the Good Ole USA!!!!

Please, please, try not to generalize about entire nations. It comes off sounding racist, at least to me.

On the other hand, why is it that so many US Citizens want to move to Canada or the UK? Our quality of life started to go steadily downhill during the Reagan years with huge education funding cuts and tax breaks for the rich. It's going to be hard to turn things back around.

I guess anyone of you that can get something free will take it, especially if your employer has to pay for it.

People have been saying they DON'T WANT their employers to have to pay for anything. A lot of people, myself included, want government health care, like all the other first-world countries have.

Most soldiers would rather not have war. Do you know how high the suicide rate is for soldiers who have done multiple tours? And how many have said that what our military is doing is inhuman? I feel awful for those young people getting involved in something that was not at all what they bargained for. They went over there believing America was the good guy, and came home...well, disillusioned, to put it mildly. I honor them for doing what they believe is the right thing. But I deplore war.

Those of you that post on here, are you in the Military, are you willing to go and fight ...  do you know how a soldier feels!!!

Are you a soldier, Kat? If not, you don't know how a soldier feels. They all feel differently. Soldiers are human beings and individuals.

I don't want anyone to go and fight. I think violence begets violence and the cycle has to stop somewhere.

Edited by inlaterdays

In the U.S. we don't generally talk about the Middle East in terms of our actual involvement, and so we tend to perceive the region being made up of basically Israel and the other countries full of terrorist extremists. Which, of course, doesn't acknowledge how we stepped into the Middle East and began trying to manipulate and maneuver it to meet our needs, were behind coups and regime changes, and funneled quite a lot of weapons into the region.

And to a country as weary of war as we are, we absolutely don't talk about how we helped extend the Iran-Iraq war for two countries who were most likely as weary as we are by providing weapons for both sides.

We decry acts of terror, but completely ignore that we helped Saddam Hussein with his chemical warfare tactics which killed and injured well over 100,000 people, and his genocidal attacks on the Kurds after which we helped shield them from punishment and then blamed Iran.

Added to that, we shot down Iran Air Flight 655 under rather sketchy circumstances which, given our history in the region, I'm sure Iran will never believe were accidental.

And that just scratches the surface. To a lot of these people, we're the terrorists.

I don't support any kind of terrorist activities, but I think that, instead of insisting that the Middle East is full of jealous, rabid terrorists, we need to consider that maybe these are people who have been manipulated, attacked, had people killed, and on and on, who are filled with rage because they're dealing with a country that keeps getting away with it all, and then has the nerve to lecture them about how countries should be run, using itself as the pinnacle of success.

Again, terrorism is not okay, but when a country is too large to attack and never really has to answer for its actions, it's not surprising that these acts become a vehicle for their rage.

Those of you that post on here, are you in the Military, are you willing to go and fight ... do you know how a soldier feels!!!

No, but I have a friend(who is so close we are practically sibilings) who is. HE has told me that while he wants to get the people who hurt our country the reason he went in was to do some good. He said and I'm quoting him here, "Most of the terrorist organizations are doing bad things to innocent people over there as well. I don't want to hurt the innocent. I want to get the bad guys out of there. I want to fight for my country. But I won't stand behind mass bombing."

This comment he said to people who were calling for us to just nuc Iraq and get it over with (let me tell you my school was special dry.gif) there are innocents, and though our soldiers are going in and taking care of the bad guys you have to remember that not everyone over there is.

The innocent people are getting hurt to by the same people. (Sadam Hussain's chemical attacks anyone?)

My sister is a history major. She is 63 yrs old. She has been studing this stuff for years.

I asked my sister who is older than me, should an employer have to pay for an abortion, or your Birth Control pills ... she said no. That is something we do on our own time.

The world does not owe us .... we owe the world to live in it.

If any of you think the terrorists will agree with what you are posting about a humble world, feel free to ask, and see what the answer is they give you, or see what they do to you if you do not agree with them, lol.

The mexicans are looking for jobs. If they come legally I'm fine with them. What is so wrong with immigrants? We all are. None of us are originally from here unless we are Native Americans.

That free remark really bugs me. Some people need that stuff to get along. Not everyone is made of money. Try going bankrupt and see how it is without money, a job that doesn't pay much, having to get free food from a church and having to have welfare just to get by.

I've said it before I'll say it again that is NOT fun in the least. It's a little disrespectful to see people say that kind of thing. If you haven't been in that situation you have no right to complain at all.

What we do in our free time can affect what we do in our jobs. Without proper medical assistance not everyone can afford to get what they need. So the employers have to cover their employees for it. We get some form of health system in that isn't bent on ripping off the average person I don't think employers will need to supply health care to their employees.

I don't care if you have children in the military or not, involved in it personally or however. You can't just blow up everyone, expect them to respect you and do whatever you want. You can't just destroy a whole civilization because you just don't like them. They are human beings and they do have rights. If they get caught personally doing something wrong let the justice system handle them. Corrupt as it may be.

Kat some of you're posts makes it seem like you want America to rule the whole world and whatever we do is 100% correct. Forgive me if I'm wrong but some of the things you have said are as bad if not worse than what people are doing to us. How can you expect people to like America if all you want to do is destroy, wipe out and throw out everyone that isn't with us and going by our life style?

I understand people always have different opinions but you can't just rule with a iron fist and expect everything to go one way.

Our very own domestic emotional terrorists, the Westboro Baptist Church, are even worse. They rejoice when OTHER PEOPLE'S loved ones are killed, and they go to the funerals and say so. Talk about horrible. sad.gif

Please, please, try not to generalize about entire nations. It comes off sounding racist, at least to me.

People have been saying they DON'T WANT their employers to have to pay for anything. A lot of people, myself included, want government health care, like all the other first-world countries have.

Most soldiers would rather not have war. Do you know how high the suicide rate is for soldiers who have done multiple tours? And how many have said that what our military is doing is inhuman? I feel awful for those young people getting involved in something that was not at all what they bargained for. They went over there believing America was the good guy, and came home...well, disillusioned, to put it mildly. I honor them for doing what they believe is the right thing. But I deplore war.

Are you a soldier, Kat? If not, you don't know how a soldier feels. They all feel differently. Soldiers are human beings and individuals.

I don't want anyone to go and fight. I think violence begets violence and the cycle has to stop somewhere.

You have to be kidding me, you compare the Westboro Baptist Church to terrorists, please you are kidding right!!! These suckers would run if only one terrorist from over there were after them, laugh.gif

There is nothing racist about me, you need to go back and read my posts. Very lame. I am only talking about the terrorist and radicals overseas like in Pakistan, and anywhere over there.

Oh, go back and read how people want their Birth Control Paid for.

Well, you have hard core soldiers and soldiers. I can not even repeat what my son said about some of you on here that has done 2 tours fighting for the USA's freedom and rights, as well as to be free. He could not be bothered reading what most of you post as he thinks you are all most a joke, his words, not mine. He thinks I am a fool for even posting to these topics, rolleyes.gif

I agree when you say. "Do you know how high the suicide rate is for soldiers who have done multiple tours? And how many have said that what our military is doing is inhuman? I feel awful for those young people getting involved in something that was not at all what they bargained for. They went over there believing America was the good guy, and came home...well, disillusioned, to put it mildly. I honor them for doing what they believe is the right thing. But I deplore war".

Not everyone is cut out to be a soldier. I did not think my son was either. But since then, he made a believer out of me. I have met many that have done 2 tours and more, and they believe in what they are doing ... taking out the bad guys, protecting the innocent people from the terrorists and the radicals. My son if his unit goes again, is ready to do his 3rd tour. I have a friend that her husband has done 5 tours and her 3 sons have done between 1 and 3 tours, and believe in what they are doing.

NO, I am not a soldier, but if I was, I believe like my son does.

No, what you do not understand is the TERRORIST AND THE RADICALS.

Have you ever fought?

Yes I do understand how a soldier feels, again, I have 2 sons in the military, one son has done 2 TOURS, read ABOVE hon.

Hugs to you and I mean this.

Well, you have hard core soldiers and soldiers. I can not even repeat what my son said about some of you on here that has done 2 tours fighting for the USA's freedom and rights, as well as to be free. He could not be bothered reading what most of you post as he thinks you are all most a joke, his words, not mine. He thinks I am a fool for even posting to these topics,  rolleyes.gif

This kind of thinking just makes me sad.

People are allowed to have their opinions said and heard. He does realize that at times while he was over there if he bombed a place he could have caught innocent people in cross fire? Do they have no rights because of where they live?

Kat it really doesn't matter if someone has fought or not. Some people can't stand the thought of killing another human being evil or not and I am one of them. I can hate someone so much I wish they was gone but can I do it myself? No. Can I watch someone else do it? No.

That is why I hate war. It's mass killing. I get bad guys do need to be punished. I don't think everyone needs to be killed however.

Do you know how high the suicide rate is for soldiers who have done multiple tours? And how many have said that what our military is doing is inhuman? I feel awful for those young people getting involved in something that was not at all what they bargained for. They went over there believing America was the good guy, and came home...well, disillusioned, to put it mildly. I honor them for doing what they believe is the right thing. But I deplore war.

This.

Have you ever fought?

Yes I do understand how a soldier feels, again, I have 2 sons in the military, one son has done 2 TOURS, read ABOVE hon.

I'm sorry but unless you yourself have fought Kat, you don't know how they feel. You haven't went through the same things, seen all of it, and dealt with friends and allies dying around you.

Being a spectator and being involved is two different things. We can understand them to a point but know how they really feel? No, not unless you was with them side by side throughout it all.

Edited by demonicvampiregirl

You have to be kidding me, you compare the Westboro Baptist Church to terrorists, please you are kidding right!!! These suckers would run if only one terrorist from over there were after them, laugh.gif

There is nothing racist about me, you need to go back and read my posts. Very lame. I am only talking about the terrorist and radicals overseas like in Pakistan, and anywhere over there.

Oh, go back and read how people want their Birth Control Paid for.

Well, you have hard core soldiers and soldiers. I can not even repeat what my son said about some of you on here that has done 2 tours fighting for the USA's freedom and rights, as well as to be free. He could not be bothered reading what most of you post as he thinks you are all most a joke, his words, not mine. He thinks I am a fool for even posting to these topics, rolleyes.gif

I agree when you say. "Do you know how high the suicide rate is for soldiers who have done multiple tours? And how many have said that what our military is doing is inhuman? I feel awful for those young people getting involved in something that was not at all what they bargained for. They went over there believing America was the good guy, and came home...well, disillusioned, to put it mildly. I honor them for doing what they believe is the right thing. But I deplore war".

Not everyone is cut out to be a soldier. I did not think my son was either. But since then, he made a believer out of me. I have met many that have done 2 tours and more, and they believe in what they are doing ... taking out the bad guys, protecting the innocent people from the terrorists and the radicals. My son if his unit goes again, is ready to do his 3rd tour. I have a friend that her husband has done 5 tours and her 3 sons have done between 1 and 3 tours, and believe in what they are doing.

NO, I am not a soldier, but if I was, I believe like my son does.

Have you ever fought?

Hugs to you and I mean this.

~Kat~ You've come across like that on more than one occasion, and yes people want BC covered if for a medical condition or because they are trying to be responsible.

My sister discovered six months in that she couldn't take the pill (that she was taking for high testosterone), they put her on another and she got a similar thing. Because of this is my sister (and probably me as well since our mom can't use BC) will only have the more expensive forms of BC avalible to us if we wish to have sex.

If I can't afford it then I'll use condoms, spermicide and what have you but if I'm married and want to have sex then I better be able to get BC that doesn't give me migranes or causes black outs of vison, which is another reason BC should be covered. So insurence companies can't wash their hands of expenses if you have a bad reaction. (Insurence company did not want to pay for a blood test the day after my sister had a black out because it showed it was because of the BC medication.)

So they're radicals acting on rage and zealousness when they harm people...and we do it for money and power.

How were we better than them when we were helping to gas women and children?

This kind of thinking just makes me sad.

People are allowed to have their opinions said and heard. He does realize that at times while he was over there if he bombed a place he could have caught innocent people in cross fire? Do they have no rights because of where they live?

Kat it really doesn't matter if someone has fought or not. Some people can't stand the thought of killing another human being evil or not and I am one of them. I can hate someone so much I wish they was gone but can I do it myself? No. Can I watch someone else do it? No.

That is why I hate war. It's mass killing. I get bad guys do need to be punished. I don't think everyone needs to be killed however.

This.

It makes me sad to, but innocents getting killed can not be helped.

I use to feel the same way you do about innocents, but my son was an innocent to. My son feels the same way, but he has been to war, and it is not that cut and dried.

Example, lets say a baby 2 yrs old is sent out to the USA troops with a bomb strapped on him/her. What are you going to do. Let me tell you what choice you have. The child is going to die PERIOD. My son was taught and I told him the same thing, shoot to kill that baby in one shot, and keep on trucking, your life or theirs. This is the truth of war with people in that country. Here in America, we can not fathom that happening here, or can we?

Look, I have a heart of gold and I wish we could all live in peace and no one got killed, but that is fantasy.

I hate war, because I have two beloved sons in it, and they could be captured at anytime they are over there and tortured or beheaded.

@demonicvampiregirl, you have no idea what I have or not been through, and I will neveer tell, but the world does not owe you a free ride.

This pretty much sums up my feelings on war. Infortunately, I can't see war ever fading into nonexistance. :c

It makes me sad to, but innocents getting killed can not be helped.

I use to feel the same way you do about innocents, but my son was an innocent to. My son feels the same way, but he has been to war, and it is not that cut and dried.

Example, lets say a baby 2 yrs old is sent out to the USA troops with a bomb strapped on him/her. What are you going to do. Let me tell you what choice you have. The child is going to die PERIOD. My son was taught and I told him the same thing, shoot to kill that baby in one shot, and keep on trucking, your life or theirs. This is the truth of war with people in that country. Here in America, we can not fathom that happening here, or can we?

Look, I have a heart of gold and I wish we could all live in peace and no one got killed, but that is fantasy.

I hate war, because I have two beloved sons in it, and they could be captured at anytime they are over there and tortured or beheaded.

@demonicvampiregirl, you have no idea what I have or not been through, and I will neveer tell, but the world does not owe you a free ride.

Owe me a free ride? The company my dad use to work for going against his contract and cutting his pay making it unaffordable to live off any help is right? Did you nearly lose your house because your parents couldn't pay the bills at all and had to borrow money from my grandparents just to be able to pay off some of the bills to buy us more time to get back on our feet?

Innocents being killed can be helped if there is no killing in the first place.

There is a chance the child can be reached and helped in time. There is always that chance no matter how slim it may be. It's cruel to just blow them away without trying to help such a poor defenseless little thing.

The thing can happen. Has it yet, I'm not sure. If it does I will be absolutely disgusted with anyone involved with it just like I would be if it was someone else where.

I'm sorry but that heart of gold line is kinda.... meaningless if you wish to bomb drug cartels out right while innocents may be living inside. A heart of gold wouldn't wish harm on anyone and would respect everyone equally.

This pretty much sums up my feelings on war. Infortunately, I can't see war ever fading into nonexistance. :c

Unless we all become emotionless robots I don't see it happening either. It really upsets me that people can be so cruel to each other. I've had my moments were I've said/done things that I didn't like.

Edited by demonicvampiregirl

Well, you have hard core soldiers and soldiers. I can not even repeat what my son said about some of you on here that has done 2 tours fighting for the USA's freedom and rights, as well as to be free. He could not be bothered reading what most of you post as he thinks you are all most a joke, his words, not mine. He thinks I am a fool for even posting to these topics,  rolleyes.gif

Where are you guys fighting for your freedom and rights? Last time I checked, you guys have it pretty well. I don't see anyone putting them in peril (unless I'm interpreting what you are saying incorrectly, or you did not express what you meant).

No, you do not. Just because a family member or friend is an expert on the topic does not mean you are. Hell, I know a couple of forums that will give you temporary bans for continuously referring to 'friends' and letting that be your proof.

You do not understand, because you have not been in a war. I do not understand, because I have not been in a war. You gain a basic understanding from what they tell you, but you won't get the full understanding until you experience it yourself. To quote yourself,

Have you ever fought? 

...taking out the bad guys, protecting the innocent people from the terrorists and the radicals...

Based on previous posts, you seem to be targeting a very, very wide range of people (ranging from all Muslims to most of the Middle East). You say you want to protect the innocents from the terrorists and radicals, yet you seem to imply that "the terrorsits and radicals" mean almost everyone over there. That's also why you come off as racist.

Edited by High Lord November

No, you do not. Just because a family member or friend is an expert on the topic does not mean you are. Hell, I know a couple of forums that will give you temporary bans for continuously referring to 'friends' and letting that be your proof.

You do not understand, because you have not been in a war. I do not understand, because I have not been in a war. You gain a basic understanding from what they tell you, but you won't get the full understanding until you experience it yourself. To quote yourself

Even I said this. You can't just live with someone that has been there and "know" how they feel. You can only understand it to a point. You understand that they suffered, watched people die, and seen unspeakable things.

You can't say you know how they feel if you wasn't standing there with them.

I know it's hard for them and I know how much psychological stuff they go through but I can't say I know how they feel. I can say it as a saying but unless I been in that situation myself it means nothing.

@High Lord November, "terrorsits and radicals", means just that.

Please get a grip, this has nothihng to do with racist, laugh.gif

@High Lord November, "terrorsits and radicals", means just that.

Please get a grip, this has nothihng to do with racist,  laugh.gif

I was pointing out that you could have come off as racist because of some of the generalizations you made previously. Please note that this is in specific reference to inlaterday's post, which was the post you were replying to.

I agree, it has nothing to do with American Politics at the moment, so let us get back on topic.

Edited by High Lord November

I don't think that anyone should have to be credentialed to be a part of a dialogue, but I'll mention that my dad fought in Vietnam. I'll certainly never know what he experienced firsthand, but I do know that the war left him damaged inside and out and he missed pretty much all of his first three kids' childhoods (mine included in that) and blew through three marriages before he was able to begin to work things out. So he was definitely touched by the horrors of war.

He passed away a few years ago, but I can say, without doubt, that he'd approve of the things being said here. Not because he'd have agreed with all of it - frankly, he and I almost never, ever, ever shared the same opinion. But after every time we'd spend an evening in lively debate he'd tell me, without fail, how proud he was that I'd grown up to think about hard subjects and form strong opinions that I believed in. My dad believed that the well considered opinion should always be heard. It's one of the reasons he fought in the first place.

So I don't think that we can confine debates like this to only one group of people, nor do I believe that all of them would want that.

Kat, soldiers are not a homogenous group of people, please stop referring to them as such. Same goes for Muslims and Mexicans. That is primarily why we keep having problems with what you say. You cannot call for the bombing of all Mexicans and then later say you only meant a select group of people or whatever.

Edited by ylangylang

Kat, soldiers are not a homogenous group of people, please stop referring to them as such. Same goes for Muslims and Mexicans. That is primarily why we keep having problems with what you say. You cannot call for the bombing of all Mexicans and then later say you only meant a select group of people or whatever.

This, very much. You should say what you mean and mean what you say, because that's how it's going to be perceived on the internet (and most other places).

Skauble's entire post above

Skauble, that was very... what's the word? Sad and heartwarming at the same time is the closest I can get. Sad, because of what the war did to your father. But I found his outlook on life to be very heartwarming. He is so very right, too.