MetalMad

Horror movies?

Totally out of them or just not finding anything worth checking out. Anyone interested in recommending something?

I've checked so many best-horror-movie lists already and mostly seen them all too. I just want some bit more personal recommendations.

Ahh I've read the manga and thought it would be interesting to see as a movie. But I am kinda not sure if I want to pay 15euro for it. I've been waiting it would be on sale or something.

Things I like (more or less):

Cube

Hypercube

Cube zero

Untraceable

Saw I, Saw II, (Saw III)

The Grudge

The Circle

There are plenty of good horror movies out there from since 1920. And NO ONE has seen them all. It's just that most made in past 10 years tend to just be slaughtering and that's a bit boring. You can still find some nice scary things in between or then just some nice slaughter... not mindless idiotic one with no point.

And what The circle? There seems to be loads of movies with that name. I think Untraceable is not much of a horror movie...

And thank you for recommendations! Though I've seen most. That Deep Rising seems fairly interesting though. I'll check it out.

Edited by MetalMad

Quarantine, although I recommend it's predecessor REC.

Dawn of the Dead, both of them

Land of the Dead

I Walked with a Zombie, old but awesome.

Deadgirl, while all the above movies are intended for mature audiences I can't stress this enough... INTENDED FOR A MATURE AUDIENCE and not for the gore.

You may notice that all the above films are zombie flicks... that's because nothing scares me like zombie movies. They disturb me in a way nothing else can even come close to... perhaps zombies are the bottom of my personal Uncanny Valley.

Edited by Draco Knight

Ah thank you for the zombie movies. I am not scared of zombies but I do looove watching zombie movies. REC was brilliant but I mostly liked the female creature in the attic part rather than the zombies but overall I was amazed how good and scary a zombie movie could be with that one.

Dawn of the dead I think I've seen the new version but I don't remember at all if I've seen the original. o_o Zombie movies have that problem... for me anyway... I never remember which I've seen.

I'll be sure to check out the last 3!

Deadgirl, while all the above movies are intended for mature audiences I can't stress this enough... INTENDED FOR A MATURE AUDIENCE and not for the gore.

Do you actually think this is a good movie? If so, can I ask why? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm just really curious to know what was good about it, because I found it eyeroll-inducing and insulting to my intelligence as both a horror fan and a human being.

I'll compile a list of recs later, though you've probably seen most of them. What kind of horror do you like best? Is horror-comedy okay to rec too? And what about movies that aren't strictly horror but give off a creepy or unsettling vibe? (Those tend to be my favorites.) Also, you could post a few recs too, in part to give me an idea of what you've seen and like so I can know what to put on my recommendation list.

If you enjoyed REC, watch the sequel. It's a good movie, well done and it lives up to the original.

If you haven't seen The Thing, watch it.

Others I've enjoyed: Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon, Freddy vs. Jason, Jason X, The Jacket, the Scream Trilogy, The Host, Halloween (original), Friday the 13th (original), Death of the Dead, El Monstro del Mar, Dawning, Audition, The Amityville Horror (original), Re-Animator, In The Mouth of Madness, Zombi 2, Man Bites Dog, Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original).

I don't know exactly what you're looking for in a horror movie, so I'll just leave it at that. If you are in search of a specific subgenre or country of origin, I can probably pull up more of a list.

Edited by WereJace

Watch REC, it's the only horror movie to date that had me nearly pissing myself and needing to clutch someone in fear.

The Abandoned.

Not sure if it's classified under horror but it will mess you up. >___>

Seriously, in the middle of the movie my friend suddenly went "I'm Brook" because she had to remind herself of her name because of the movie and I had a momentary lapse and thought "Who's Brook?" even though we've been best friends for going on ten years now.

We couldn't make actual sentences or fully function as humans should for at least a half hour after watching the movie. ;_;

Any movie that messes up that much is good. x3

Also, The Crazies. I thought it was pure awesome.

I also enjoyed the new When a Stranger Calls. I loved The Hills Have Eyes 1&2, but I'm not sure what your thoughts on gore are. I Am Legend was good, if that counts as horror. If you want to count Jurassic Park under horror, it's like my all-time favorite movie. x3

And...I've seen a lot of horror movies. I should be able to recommend more. :X

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I'll compile a list of recs later, though you've probably seen most of them. What kind of horror do you like best? Is horror-comedy okay to rec too? And what about movies that aren't strictly horror but give off a creepy or unsettling vibe? (Those tend to be my favorites.) Also, you could post a few recs too, in part to give me an idea of what you've seen and like so I can know what to put on my recommendation list.

Well I usually like anything older or Japanese. Old Japanese is my favourite. tongue.gif But that's impossible to find and very expensive. Old movies tend to rely more on story and stuff than special effects and I am not big fan of special effects.

I don't like horror-comedy usually but you can recommend it. tongue.gif I don't mind checking out if there are some I might enjoy. I like funny zombie movies at least. And yeah creepy and unsettling movies are fine too!

For my recommendations I'd say: Flesh for Frankenstein, Session 9, REC, Orphanage, Grudge, Lars Von Trier's Riget (TV series though not a movie), all 4 Aliens movies, Illusion of blood (old Japanese movie), All SAW movies, Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari, The Exorcist (everyone should have seen this of course.), Les Diaboliques and The Changeling

And none of those have anything to do with one another. xd.png They are all different... some scared me and some I was just *o* over otherwise. Probably forgot something too... and I don't like all sorts of crazy-killer-who-seems-invincible horror movies. Like Halloweens and Friday the 13th and Hills have eyes. Those are just very boring. (But don't mind anyone recommending them here as someone else might like them. tongue.gif)

One thing I have to say... I absolutely LOVE LOVE haunted houses. But I don't like The haunting at all. tongue.gif

TO ABOVE POSTER: The Abandoned! Yes totally! biggrin.gif Loved that movie. Everyone should see it.

Edited by MetalMad

Just to throw in a few more, I do love Canadian horror films. Pontypool, Long Pigs, Fido, Black Christmas (original), Martyrs, the Ginger Snaps series (but especially the first one), Scanners, The Changeling.

I found Disturbia to be particually scary, or maybe it was just scary for me based on how it could actually happen.

If I could find The Abandoned again, I'd totally watch it again. x3

Oh! Daybreakers I think it was, that has Sam Neil in it (from Jurassic Park). Vampire movie that was okay with a superb ending. I recommend it solely for the ending. x3

Do you actually think this is a good movie? If so, can I ask why? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm just really curious to know what was good about it, because I found it eyeroll-inducing and insulting to my intelligence as both a horror fan and a human being.

Ah. Yes I suppose I do have some answering to for recommending this movie to someone else. I can't answer now why I liked this movie, just as I couldn't answer my friend's then when we watched it for the first time and they left the room to find something else to do and I stayed. I don't think it's a good movie, just to be clear, but I like it anyway.

Why I like it aside, this movie is like my Pet Cemetery(one of them anyway). It's something I know few people will stomach or appreciate, and yet a strange power compels me to speak of it to others.

I watched Deadgirl because there was so much fuzz about it! I liked it a lot! Of course I was already all *o* when they found an abandoned mental hospital to go to. That's always a good start for a movie. I think it was rather different from your usual horror too since horror seems to be horrified of sexual themes these days.

Besides I rewatched Death Tunnel last weekend because my cousin and bro wanted to and I can say Deadgirl was several times better than that! Even though I like the fact that in Death Tunnel they used a real thing: real abandoned tuberculoses hospital which had real death tunnel for moving bodies. It always adds to the scariness of a place to know that it's REALLY out there.

Not a movie, but X-Files can be pretty creepy.

As can the occasional episode of Supernatural, now that I think about it.

The original The Fog was pretty good. Not seen the remake, but I know it got panned.

Not a movie, but X-Files can be pretty creepy.

Mm, X-Files. <3

There are two movies (is it only two?), but I like the individual episodes a lot more. alot.png more. <3

~

Saw My Soul to Take a few days ago...pretty dang good movie! I'd recommend it. <3

OMG, The X-Files <3 <3 <3

But the 2nd movie sucked so much. It felt like they completely butchered the characters. ;__;

I used to be quite an X-Files fangirl years ago, and that somewhat resurfaced this summer because I decided to rewatch the series (and finally see the last two seasons, still don't know how I managed to watch all 200 episodes within 2 months). I don't think that there was so much genuinely scary stuff (often gross though), because I'm more of a psychological movie tard. Thus one of the scariest movies I've watched is The Devil's Advocate.

Haven't looked back and I really need to be off to classes, but what are opinions on The Fourth Kind? One friend was talking about how scary it is and the trailer does look kinda... creepy.

/stares at clock and runs off

The original The Fog was pretty good. Not seen the remake, but I know it got panned.

Preserve your memories of the original. Selma Blair is the only good part of the remake, and there is something that just rubs me the wrong way about CGI fog, as compared to the awesome practical effects in the original.

Haven't looked back and I really need to be off to classes, but what are opinions on The Fourth Kind? One friend was talking about how scary it is and the trailer does look kinda... creepy.

It was alright. Not fantastic, but okay. It entirely hinges on how you feel about alien abductions. If they're scary for you, the movie will scare you. If they aren't, don't bother. (And if they are, find Fire In The Sky).