fanfanatic

Bartimaeus Trilogy

So, has anyone here read the Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathon Stroud? If anyone has this thread is for discussions on this awesome (IMO) piece of work.

I recall reading at least one book of it. I don't remember much about it though. Jut one thing - someone turns into a frog.

Which... isn't very specific, but eh.

I read it a while back. When were they made? It had to be sometime before 5/6 years ago because that was the last time I saw them. All I really remember is that it was great. Complete absorbtion into the book. Nothing short of World War 3 in my back yare could peal my eyes off those pages.^^

I loved this series and I have all three books! Sometimes I still reread them because I don't feel like working. I heard that Stroud is coming out with another book, is that true?

I tried and got bored. ._. Though they did seem interesting; I may try to read them again.

@Rhea... no none got turned into a frog *cries*

@Zephyr, that's what I heard too. He better be making another book, and it better be good too.

@Infinis, give it a chance. The first few chapters of the book is kinda boring, since it comes from Nathan's point of view.

BEST. SERIES. EVER. That is all I have to say.

@fan: Another book? Really? It better be good.

I remember I read it back in 5th or 6th grade. Been a few years since then, though, so I don't remember the exact happenings. I do remember something about... demons? genies?... at least something summoned with a ritual. And something about a boy... I don't remember his name, but I remember he was the main person xd.png.

And something really bad happened which had to be stopped, involving the boy and his big ego...(?) And there was something about a book, unless I'm mixing something completely different into this.

Oh, and the golem! Can't forget the golem... I do believe that didn't come before the last book, though.

Please tell me if I have the right series, or if I'm completely off track.

hahaha Saikachan you have the right book.

@Dark, I read from some site (can't remember which one) that says Stroud is writing another book, based on Barty's adventures in egypt, and that it is set to come out in 2011. *finger's crossed*

@Rhea... no none got turned into a frog *cries*

Naw, Bartimaeus is a frog in the 3rd book for a while.

Love this trilogy. It made me cry.

As far as POVs go, though, I have to say Bartimaeus>Nathaniel>Kitty. Especially in the 2nd book, Kitty's parts get a bit tedious (to me at least).

Oh yeah, I remember how whenever I read the series and the chapter would be over, I'd always hope that the next chapter would be from Bartimaeus' POV. He is just absolutely hilarious. I agree that both Nathaniel's and Kitty's POV's weren't always as interesting.

Wow, I didn't notice this? I love these books.

EDIT: I read somewhere that he is in fact coming out with a fourth book.

Edited by -platinum-draco-

As far as POVs go, though, I have to say Bartimaeus>Nathaniel>Kitty. Especially in the 2nd book, Kitty's parts get a bit tedious (to me at least).

Ah! I remember now! The boy's name was Nathaniel! xd.png

And I remember a bit about the girl. I think that's where my "something about a book" comes in.

Yeah, I do agree that Kitty and Natty's POV is not that interesting. Bartty is clever and funny at the same time, that beats the deppressingness of Kitty and Nat any day.

I remember reading the first book 3 or 4 years ago. My library doesn't have the second book TT_TT

yeah i read these a while ago

they are pretty good but i probably wont reread them for a while

They have a comic version? That would be kind of cool. As has been said however, Bartimaeus is way more interesting then the humans. In the third book Kitty was semi-interesting because she was learning how to summon Bartimaeus and using Ptolemys gate, which was cool. Nathaniel was pretty boring all the way around though. He was always a whiny little witch with a capitol B.

Yeah, I saw the comic version too, but I didn't like it very much. But I loved the book. Many people say it's alike Harry Potter, but I don't agree at all! I just love Bartimaeus, he is just...cool smile.gif I have not read the English version though, but I think you also have these footnotes, don't you? That, I think, is the thing which makes the books unique. This mordant, black humour is just so wonderful. The book had caught my whole attention in the very moment I read the first chapter of the first book. Kind of thrilling...and then...his comment biggrin.gif

Haven't read the fourth book so far, anyone tell me whether it is as good as the first three ones?

I have the last two, but my Mum's friend's husband borrowed the first and they broke up before he could give it me back... I never saw him again.

Anyway. I love ol' Barty- he always makes me laugh. "We've all got problems... I'm overly talkative. You look like a field of daffodils in a suit."

Or is it dandelions? Or buttercups? Dem those yellow flowers!

Bartimaeus Trilogy. Possibly one of the best trilogies I have ever read, barring The Lord of the Rings of course. You really should get the first one though, I think it's actually the best of the three. It's far more...artful?....than the other two.

The footnotes are the best part of these books. Without the footnotes they would be so much less hilarious.

agreed. The first is the best, I guess because the story is better. Nat's story is always kind of bland to me, but barty's is always fun. I love his footnotes.

I'll have to summon a djinn to track him down and get it back...

Is Barty free, do you know? laugh.gif

Read the Ring of Solomon. Barty returns in his history 8D