fanfanatic

Bartimaeus Trilogy

There's another one? I didn't know that... When was it released?

Finished the trilogy a few days ago. It's awesome! It was actually the kind of fantasy I was looking for in a while - something, you know, light and with a lot of humour. smile.gif

And, the end of the trilogy completely astonished me! I really expected some happy ending where Nathaniel and Kitty "live happily ever after the Nouda disaster" biggrin.gif

I read the books, Barty's footnotes cracked me up. The ending wasn't so great. Could someone explain to Stroud that killing off the most fun character is NOT a good idea. And while your at it, fax a copy to Rowling and fetch me a Smoothie.

Loved the series, hated the ending. tongue.gif Now that I've read the prequel, I've decided that Ptolemy's Gate never happened and the real trilogy includes the prequel and the first two books. laugh.gif

Sounds good to me. My version: Bartimaes didn't die, he turned into a microbe, found a break in the spell and got away.

Wait what are you guys talking about? Barty didn't die in the third book, Nat did what ptolemy did an released him right before the place crashed down. Also I didn't know there was a prequal

Of course he didn't die, it was Nathaniel who did!

Hm, I haven't read the other book yet - the publishers in Bulgaria are not what you'd call overworkers, and it's still too expensive to order it from England. Gues I have to wait a couple of months more.

Um, Barty didn't die. Natty did D:

Nathaniel was one who died, Barty is still alive.

Footnotes always crack me up. I really like that they illustrate his ability to do more things at the same time.

Nat and Kitty's POV are pretty bland, but they are adults in a world that's going downhill. They have their worries and problems.

Barty from the other side? He just doesn't care.

That's what I liked about changing POVs. We see the real problems in society like theirs and their ways of coping with it, but there is always Barty preventing the book from getting to dark and edgy.

@ Ruins: I can't believe I remember this but I think it was buttercups.

Also, best books ever. First books I've ever ever cried over. It was perfect. And then I realized how British it is, which in my book is a good thing. I have this problem with British things why.

Read these a few years ago, actually did a book report on them. :3

The footnotes are the best, and the hilarity when Nat and Barty have to work together, especially with their completely different mindsets, is amazing.

I should go reread them.

I love this series, for one. On most sites I actually go by the username BartimaeusTrilogyFan, actually... xd.png

I've actually always found the third book to be the strongest. The first is great, a perfect introduction with it's pacing and story, and more light-hearted tone. Book two is darker, and the pacing could be better, but it establishes a great deal of what simply needs to happen to complete the trilogy.

And then book three ... it was darker and I finally began really enjoying Kitty's chapters, her journey, learning more about Ptolemy FINALLY and of course, Nat's character arc. The ending was also a great one looking back. Sure, initially I was shocked and maybe a bit horrified. But then, I kind of like that? I would have hated if it was a bad ending, but technically it isn't. They save the world, Nat realizes who he is, and best of all, Barti gets his freedom. Nat's final gift - think about it. After the explosion, everyone thought Barti died along with Nat. The next generations of summoning books will list him as deceased or remove him from the lists of summonable creatures entirely.

The prequel, Ring of Solomon was also a lot of fun. When I heard Stroud was doing a prequel about an old adventure of Bart's, I thought back to that breif footnote about throwing Solomon's ring away... and the book did not disappoint. Veerrrry creepy villian.

Edited by ~Vinr~

Loved the series and Bartimaeus' witty remarks and footnotes, although some terms were confusing...