Rarek

The Skies of Rain Handbook ~ OOC Thread

Welcome to the Skies of Rain Handbook! Here you can discuss or provide any explanations needed in our Skies of Rain roleplay! Remember to read the rules of OOC threads and to have fun!

Click here for Skies of Rain - Trials of the Amazon

Roleplay Status: OPEN

user posted image

Red Sharpbeak

Discoverer: Cody

Day of Discovery: 1

Location of Discovery: Crash Site

Recent Picture: In Flight

Field Notes: Bright red tree-dwelling birds that have a very sharp beak for puncturing even the hardest of fruits. It often over-compensates for the strength it requires, leading to it usually bashing its head straight through the fruit.

Small Green-Eyed Spider

Discoverer: Karrin

Day of Discovery: 2

Location of Discovery: Jungle near Crash Site

Recent Description: A fist-sized, hairy spider with green luminescent eyes.

Field Notes: Aggressive and territorial, the small green-eyed spider's bite is only mildly toxic - comparable to a wasp sting. Nevertheless, their preferred method of hunting in groups and from ambush often makes that mild toxicity enough. And, of course, the full-grown specimens don't need to be toxic.

Map of the Amazon | Flight Path

Player Characters:

1) Rarek - Cody

2) Shyrus - Feliceia

3) Mistress of Whispers - Karrin

4) Wolfsong442 - Silas

5) SkullKrusher - Dereccio

6) Shadow_claw - Lani

7)

8)

Username: Rarek

Character Name: Cody Roberts

Appearance: Cody

Brief History: Cody is a Canadian Environmental Science student who took a trip down to Brazil for his Masters in the Amazon Rainforest. He had hoped to do his degree in biodiversity, researching the huge variety of species and undiscovered wonders that are associated with the huge swath of land. He was always an intelligent boy, he never got a failing grade in anything, and he was always eager to learn new things. Cody can however be short-tempered in the right stressful situations, and is known to become unstable.

Username: Shyrus

Character Name: Feliceia Bridge (goes by "Fel" or "Feli.")

Appearance: Feliceia

Brief History: She grew up in a small family, herself being an only child. She grew up stubborn, selfish, and loud, but by the age of sixteen mellowed out quite a bit. She left home at the young age of 18 to become a journalist. She comes to Brazil in hopes of documenting Amazonian wildlife.

Username: Mistress of Whispers

Character Name: Karrin Valera

Appearance: Light tan, messy brown curls, dark brown eyes. Wears a few dozen bracelets (several with band names and logos on them), worn jeans, old sneakers and a green tank top with a faded blue leather jacket.

Brief History: Karrin is an idealistic young woman with a wild streak. After graduating from medschool, Karrin applied for a position as doctor in a free clinic in Lima. It was an underpaid job and probably a bad career move, but Karrin felt that this was the best way to help people who really needed it and see something of the world at the same time. Her parents, friends and fellow-students were horrified at the thought of Karrin ' wasting her talent' like this, but nothing would dissuade Karrin from going. Or at least, nothing short of a plane crash...

Username: wolfsong442

Character Name: Silas Vincent

Appearance: The grumpy one; Silas

Brief History: Silas is a neurosurgeon at Mount Sinai in New York who’s been conscripted into traveling to Lima to help with the brain surgery of a very important person, and to hold down the fort until another doctor can arrive. Of course Silas didn’t want to go, but he values his job and life and feared that he might get fired if he didn’t go. Of course it doesn’t help that the guy is dealthy afraid of heights and planes…and a plane crash isn’t going to help that fear much.

Username: SkullKrusher

Character Name: Dereccio Skyler (Derek)

Appearance: He has short, black hair that reaches just past his ears, along with deep dark blue eyes that remind of the depths of the oceans. His skin is slightly tanned and his body is a bit muscular. He wears a black sleevelss t-shirt and camoflague cargo pants, along with hiking shoes and a camo bandana around his neck. He also has a black plastic bracelet on his right hand.

Brief History: Dereccio, or Derek as he prefers to be called, has quite the past. His family was normal and he grew up as an only child. He lived his childhood and early teen years in Italy - that was why his name was so strange. Then, he moved to America, where he studied until he finished school. He then learned a year in a private school for firearms, and then became a commando for four years. Having just became 24 around two months ago, Dereccio was sent with the plane to Lima both as a guard and to teach basic defense to a few of the guards there.

Username: shadow_claw

Character Name: Lani (pronounced Lawn-ee) "Rhodey" Rhodes

Appearance: Lani

Brief History: Lani grew up in a family that traveled a lot. She learned multiple languages in her time, as well as basic navigating skills. Her family was just her two parents, brother, and herself, which was a pretty nice setup. Lani and her brother were home-schooled, but she moved away to go to college once old enough. Even though she enjoyed the wild life her family lead, it wasn't a suitable career. One degree in Engineering later, and she was traveling again to look for a job. Baleem, a city right next to the ocean, was a great start. Fixing boats and other machines around the port would work just fine for her. Unluckily for her, she didn't end up there. No, she had to be stuck in the plane that plummeted into the ground.

Edited by Rarek

Assuming no one objects, I had the pilot escape the plane with a number of unknown supplies.

The reason for this, is so the pilot can continue to serve the same purpose as a missing plane might have:

1. Carrot - If they find the plane (now pilot), they might find a radio and be saved.

2. Potential Deus ex Machina - if things go really bad for the characters, they can find the plane (now pilot) with medical supplies, water, food, etc.

I hope that's okay? If the pilot needs to be dead, the characters can always find his body hanging by the parachute from a tree, with his pack nowhere to be found.

Leaving avenues open is always a nice thing to do. I would however like to be in control of the pilot's appearance if it ever happens. For the moment, there's supposed to be no signs that rescue is possible, and the main point of the story would eventually turn to forest exploration and discovery.

Although yes, a missing pilot does give a sense of continual hope.

I would however like to be in control of the pilot's appearance if it ever happens. For the moment, there's supposed to be no signs that rescue is possible, and the main point of the story would eventually turn to forest exploration and discovery.

Goes without saying happy.gif.

I had him absent from the plane because it would have been easily rectified if you needed him present (dead: hanging from trees / wounded: flung from plane and lying somewhere nearby / alive and well: just coming back from surveying the area). Obviously the reverse (having him present when you need him awol) would NOT be so easily remedied, so I wouldn't do that.

And I definitely signed up for an exploration and survival RP smile.gif. It's just that people after a planecrash usually focus on "how do we get out of here", so having the pilot at large gives them hope and a tangible goal while they adjust to their new situation. But going after the pilot IC certainly does not mean they'll find him wink.gif.

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

Especially not in a large forest! The pilot also has the best idea of where they are, coupled with a compass on his survival tool should mean he has a good idea of which direction to go, so he's probably quite a ways away by now tongue.gif

I'm a little concerned with those who haven't posted or very much. I'll shoot them a PM or two before anything happens.

The pilot also has the best idea of where they are, coupled with a compass on his survival tool should mean he has a good idea of which direction to go, so he's probably quite a ways away by now tongue.gif

He's not looking for us? The jerk. And to think Karrin crawled back into a burning wreck to look for him. Tsssk.

wink.giflaugh.gif

Thanks Rarek for the link to the thread. smile.gif

Also i have one or two things i need to say.

If i am not posting, keep in mind i am still reading any and all replies. I just can't reply until Skull does since i tried to interact with his character. If he doesn't reply within a day or two I’ll change my post so i can keep up with you two. smile.gif

Also, i might be absent completely tomorrow. I have multiple things to do tomorrow. If anyone sends me a PM, i may not reply until the next day or even the day after.

Also, feel free to use any items in Feli's backpack while she's absent. I'll make a list soon of what she has. biggrin.gif

Okay i forgot to put down the list. But i decided to go ahead and edit my previous post and add a new one. Sorry for not replying. ^-^''

(Ding! level three! xd.png)

Edited by Shyrus

@ Rarek, how long do you want to give the others before continuing?

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

We can continue I suppose, we'll just hang around the plane a bit longer.

Sorry for not posting - too stupid to figure out anything to post AND the fact that we had Easter until the 6'th of May - and in the period from the 1's to the 6'th I was very busy.

That's fine skull. Just be sure to meet up with the rest of the characters so you don't get left out. smile.gif

Go look up leanto if you don't know what it is. It's rather simple. It wouldn't be warm but it would protect against wind and the elements as long at it's made well.

@ Shyrus, I know what a lean-to is smile.gif. Karrin has seen one one tv, but I'm not sure she paid enough attention to actually know how it's done.

@ Rarek, any chance that our multi-purpose tool has one of those little magnesium sticks on it? I watch a LOT of survival shows OOC and even the hardiest of them admit that making fire the 'traditional' way is all but impossible and that a good survival kit should include a magnesium stick. Since they're rather small and light (held one in a survival shop once), maybe it's included in the tool?

Anyone feel like having his stuff found by Derek?

@ SK: Well, Karrin could certainly do with her traveller's backpack since it holds her clothes and some (very basic) survival gear, but Rarek said we were allowed one bag each and I purposefully had her grab her doctor's bag when she left the plane. So it's up to him whether her regular backpack can also be retrieved.

@ Rarek: Your input on above situation? I'm fine with whatever you decide. I certainly wouldn't mind getting Karrin her stuff back, but I was fully aware of the 'one-bag rule' when I went for the doctor's bag and therefore willing to see that through.

I'd prefer that only one backpack each be found. In theory, the other equipment would've been lost in the plane crash, likely burned as well. There's a possibility that the stuff would survive a crash, but in my next post, I'm going to ensure there's no chance of retrieval wink.gif One backpack will do.

As far as magnesium sticks are concerned, I kinda find that to be something a little dangerous to have on a plane, don't you? I would assume they'd have confiscated things like that at the airport.

@Rarek and MoW: Seriously, the remains of the whole plane are burning left and right, and there may be some fuel they could use. It shouldn't be impossible to make a fire in those conditions.

For the moment there's a plane with fuel. Just wait a moment smile.gif (If it wasn't obvious, plot twist imminent xd.png )

Edited by Rarek

@ Rarek,

I'd prefer that only one backpack each be found.

No problem smile.gif. Like I said: I was fully aware of that rule when I chose the medical bag.

As far as magnesium sticks are concerned, I kinda find that to be something a little dangerous to have on a plane, don't you?

Oh LOL, that hadn't even occurred to me. Check. We'll just stock up on flint then.

For the moment there's a plane with fuel. Just wait a moment smile.gif (If it wasn't obvious, plot twist imminent xd.png )

Yup, plane with fuel + plane still burning = I can see where this is going smile.gif.

@ SkullKrusher, btw feel free to correct Karrin that your name is Dereccio and not Derek, she won't mind xd.png.

@Rarek and MoW: There's still fire after the explosion (probably), right?

@Mistress (xd.png): Nah, both of them are ways he prefers to be called.

G-gah! i look at the role-play and I had to read around thirteen replies!! I'm sorry I didn't post. I have assigned computer times, and I’m just guessing when it's daytime here, you guys are all asleep. v_v

Because so much time passed and I wasn't able to post, I’m going to edit my last response so that I get to the camp ground after the explosion.

@ Skull. You mentioned Feli in one of your posts. I just wanted to tell you that you don't have to edit yours since she won't be there at the time she was mentioned.

Edited by Shyrus

Shyrus, I'm sorry about that! I'll be more mindful about your timezone. Where are you, timewise? I'm in Central Europe.

@Mistress: Oh don't worry about it. I don't expect you guys to stop the roleplay compleatly for me. That would just be selfish of myself. smile.gif I just said that because i needed an explanation why my previous post was gone and why my newer post was off from my last. And to answer your question: i'm in western America.

Ouch Shyrus, you're cutting out stitches and Cody is still awake xd.png