Emerald_Shadowclaw

Quick editing of a description

Well, due to many things such as name changes and typos, I've had to edit descriptions by one word so they make sense. UNFORTUNATELY...this means they have to be reapproved, thus increasing the description mods' workload. x_x

So my suggestion is: maybe edited descriptions could show up in a different list or however it's done? And with the edited part bolded so a mod can quickly read through it and make sure the edit isn't inappropriate, then approve the edit. This would mean people wouldn't have to wait nearly as long, either for new descriptions or editing them, and mods would have less to do. Everyone wins~

If this is possible, anyway. :L Comments? Would this perhaps be complex to code, somewhat?

I've seen suggestions like this before and I totally support it. I've stopped writing descriptions at all because I'm still waiting for the first ones I did to be approved, and there's already a few that I would like to change...

There's already a thread about this:

here.

It would be great... smile.gif

Wouldn't that create more work actually, as a mod would have to read the description not just once but twice to see how different the original was to the new one? And how or why would the system tell which edits were minor enough to get them quick-approved or whatever? Wouldn't they just go into a queue with all the other descriptions? Or if they were somehow automatically put at the top of the queue, that would slow -or depending on how many minor edits people make, completely halt- the approval of new descriptions.

@ fuzzbucket: They're not quite the same -though that suggestion you linked, that a dragon keep its old description while waiting for the new one to be approved, makes more sense to me than this one. wink.gif

Edited by Sadako

@fuzzbucket: That's not what I meant :L

@Sadako: Any which had already been approved and were resubmitted with an edit would be in a separate list, and either mods would alternate between lists or there'd be different mods for the edit list. And it WOULDN'T cause more work, as normally when editing a mod would have to read and approve the whole thing.

I would love to see this. Honestly I stopped writing descriptions once I learned how they were approved. >_>

I would love to edit the ones I already have though... but not if it means having to get re-approved...

I'd prefer the suggestion fuzzbucket linked. :3

How will the system tell if it's a small edit? What if someone re-writes the whole thing and now my page is twice as large reading both those descriptions? Would both show up in the queue when I'm just going through normal descriptions? Does this mean I should give preference to descriptions that have been approved once and now have an edit?

What I think would help more with the system as is, would be to hire more description mods. I'm actually attempting to discuss this with TJ at this point. :3

Yeah, maybe if we change a word or two, it could be highlighted to the mods. Then the mods would only need to see that part because they know that they've already approved the other part.

I'd love this. I too have stopped writing descriptions because I keep editing them so many times they never get approved. I have had only one get approved.

I'd prefer the suggestion fuzzbucket linked. :3

How will the system tell if it's a small edit? What if someone re-writes the whole thing and now my page is twice as large reading both those descriptions? Would both show up in the queue when I'm just going through normal descriptions? Does this mean I should give preference to descriptions that have been approved once and now have an edit?

What I think would help more with the system as is, would be to hire more description mods. I'm actually attempting to discuss this with TJ at this point. :3

You're missing my point here slightly - it'd only show the edited description, with the edits in bold.

And it was just an idea .-. /depressionmode

You're missing my point here slightly - it'd only show the edited description, with the edits in bold.

And it was just an idea .-. /depressionmode

Got you now.

But Socky said somewhere else that this kind of thing (as in edits being seen in a different place etc) would be almost impossible to code.

Have some nice antidepressants.... wub.gif

Since this seems to be due to renaming, how about a different change? Whenever you want to have your dragon's name in the description, you enter a code (like /name/ or something). Then, when you actually change the name, the name in the description is changed automatically.

(If that is possible, that is.)

Since this seems to be due to renaming, how about a different change? Whenever you want to have your dragon's name in the description, you enter a code (like /name/ or something). Then, when you actually change the name, the name in the description is changed automatically.

That does make a lot of sense, although doesn't fit ALL of the problems - some are just typos, and some are where OTHER dragons' names are changed and are mentioned in the description by their original names...

But not always. Like for instance - I have one (I can't be BOTHERED to change it!) where it says the dragon is too superior to mate and is saving himself for someone SPECIAL. He has kids now.... so.....

But an auto change for a name change would be awesome.... It occurs to me that I may have oughted to change a few of mine, now that you mention it.... I forgot about descriptions when I changed them biggrin.gif

Ah, I see what you meant.

Still, though, it seems like it would turn out to be ...unfair for lack of a better word. If minor edits are always attended to first, then mods would have less time to approve new descriptions, which is already massively time-consuming. Wouldn't it be more frustrating to have to wait even longer to have new descriptions approved, but knowing that if you were just changing a typo it would get approved right away?

I suppose I don't understand why a dragon that has already had a description (and apparently an incorrect one) should get preferential treatment.

Ah, I see what you meant.

Still, though, it seems like it would turn out to be ...unfair for lack of a better word. If minor edits are always attended to first, then mods would have less time to approve new descriptions, which is already massively time-consuming. Wouldn't it be more frustrating to have to wait even longer to have new descriptions approved, but knowing that if you were just changing a typo it would get approved right away?

I suppose I don't understand why a dragon that has already had a description (and apparently an incorrect one) should get preferential treatment.

Actually - nor do I.... smile.gif

You're still missing my point. I said if they alternated between lists - OTHERWISE they have to reapprove the entire description which takes a lot longer - or if new approvers did minor edits.

(sorry for snappiness, revision is getting to me)

I got that part... I'm just saying that it's not fair to have a second list at all because then dragons are getting jumped ahead in line.

When there's one list, when you click 'submit,' your dragon goes to the bottom of the current list, say, spot number 400. The people who hit submit before you get their descriptions approved before you do, and that is fair, because descriptions are being approved in the order in which they are submitted. But if you hit submit and you get to be put in spot number 30 on a separate, shorter list simply because you changed fewer than 5 words or whatever, then you get to jump ahead of the 399 people who have been already been waiting for weeks to have their descriptions approved.

Even if mods are going back and forth between the two lists, the fact that there would be a shorter list, a way to 'cut in line' ahead of most other people waiting, is what strikes me as unfair.

It's like if there was a line for the bathroom and you were going to cut in line because you only had to pee a /little/ bit.

Edited by Sadako

I got that part... I'm just saying that it's not fair to have a second list at all because then dragons are getting jumped ahead in line.

When there's one list, when you click 'submit,' your dragon goes to the bottom of the current list, say, spot number 400. The people who hit submit before you get their descriptions approved before you do, and that is fair, because descriptions are being approved in the order in which they are submitted. But if you hit submit and you get to be put in spot number 30 on a separate, shorter list simply because you changed fewer than 5 words or whatever, then you get to jump ahead of the 399 people who have been already been waiting for weeks to have their descriptions approved.

Even if mods are going back and forth between the two lists, the fact that there would be a shorter list, a way to 'cut in line' ahead of most other people waiting, is what strikes me as unfair.

It's like if there was a line for the bathroom and you were going to cut in line because you only had to pee a /little/ bit.

^this^

Especially the pee a little bit bit smile.gif (As a girl person, I get well hacked off waiting in line in washrooms. I cannot IMAGINE what some girl persons get up to in there - I am usually in and out in under 45 seconds - but that doesn't get me special privileges. I wish it did, sometimes. xd.png)

Wait, what? Having a group of description mods just for edited descriptions doesn't really make sense.

I'd rather all mods and description mods could look through all descriptions. I think this would go faster all around this way, anyway. o.o

(Did one of my doubleposts get deleted at the same time I deleted the other?)

...still don't think you're getting my point...

What I imagine the best situation for this would be:

1. All NEW descriptions would be approved/denied by the current description mods.

2. All EDITS TO descriptions would be approved/denied by NEW description mods, and to them would be formatted like this, for example if part of the description was '*dragon name here* likes bananas the best, but not watermelons.', and it was edited, it would look like:

*dragon name here* likes bananas the best and sometimes a potato, but not watermelons.

Edit: Well, the others are saying about having them just bumped to the top being a problem. So different mods for each should reduce the problem...but I can't get my point across properly, can I :/

Edited by Emerald_Shadowclaw

I think, if it is possible code-wise, a link to a dragon's name would be great and would already solve a little bit of the problem. Maybe it could also be made to link with any dragon, not just the one that is being described (like /name=code/ or something), for even more descriptions that don't need to be rewritten.

For other edits: what if when you go to the description page you get to choose between 'new description' and 'edit description'. If you choose new, you get the description box just like you do now, but if you choose 'edit' you can select the part of the text you want to change and get a box where you can put the new version. How much you can select and replace could be a limited number of characters.

On the mod's page, the new description could then be shown with the changed part in bold or something.

I wouldn't mind a seperate list, but even if it would come in the same list it would still make things quicker as the mods would know they only have to approve of the part that has been changed, as the rest has already been approved before.

One more thing I need to get off my chest now: I see people complaining now about 'cutting the line' for people who changed only a few words, but in past threads about descriptions I've seen it mentioned quite a few times that someone who's waiting for descriptions to be approved can PM one of the mods so they can get to their descriptions sooner. So isn't that 'cutting the line' even worse?

Well, yeah. I don't think that's particularly fair either. And hey, I'll admit that a mod personally went in and approved my descriptions while the queue was so long -but I didn't ask. She volunteered because apparently she wanted to help the people who were on IRC at the time instead of going into the overwhelming list. And I was kind of uncomfortable about taking her up on it, but I was hardly going to refuse on moral grounds.

I suppose that means I must withdraw my objection... but I'm still not sure that it would work without problems. : /

It would be tough to code so that edits were in bold - and if the USER had to do that - what would stop them putting NOT OK edits NOT in bold, if you get me ?

I think with the new mods things are catching up pretty wall, anyway...