Elena

Even if the movie itself wasn't that good, you have to admit that the graphics were great.

I liked the movie all right; the plot was rather predictable (ooh, I wonder who's in the right: the industrial company from Earth or the native people who live off the land?), but the special effects were freaking awesome.

~Feathers

It was pretty much the world that did it for me. I mean, plants that light up like christmas trees- what's not to like?

I really enjoyed that movie, as a guilty pleasure. Sure, it wasn't all that great, and the plot was cliché, but nowadays very few movies manage to keep me hooked, and this one totally made it for me. I think it was Pandora, and the beautiful visual effects.

Anyways, the story could and SHOULD have been different. When I first saw the trailers, the very first ones, I thought it would be something along the lines of;

"Earth explorers find life on a planet, send this guys and meet this dangers, etc."

Something along that. Nothing like Pocahontas, because, really, it IS just too close to Pocahontas for my comfort.

I enjoy a nice love story, but this whole; "I love you. Now I'm mad at you because you brought caos. Now I love you again because you proved your worthy." is a bit tiring. I want a realistic love story. What are the odds I would ever forgive who betrayed my homeland, hurt my people, killed my father and friends, and destroyed my sacred tree? I tell you, somewhere between 0 and minus 10. I might tolerate the attempt of this guy trying to redeem himself, but no matter how much I ever loved him before, I would never forgive him all that.

And please, PRINCESS? Why has it got to be a Princess? Why not just your typical tribe girl, without any relation to the chief? Why do they even need a chief? Maybe they're some sort of greek democracy? Maybe the chief can't have children because of its culture? There are just SO many options out there, why choose such a simple one?

The planet was well fleshed out, but the Na'Vi could do with a bit of a remake, to make them truly unique.

Anyways... I frankly would not make a second part. Maybe Cameron can manage to pull off something really unique and inspiring, but I highly doubt it, and I'm fearing it'll simply ruin the first movie. What's with today's directors making trilogies? There are so many movies that should have never had a second or third part, ever!

Ehhhh... That's a pretty good summary of my feelings on the movie. The graphics were very good, but you can apply good graphics to pretty much anything - they aren't what really counts. Twenty years from now, all of it will be obsolete anyway, so a true classic has to rely on plot and acting.* Avatar was by no means a bad movie, but people won't be watching it fifty years from now. It's not revolutionary - or, indeed, at all extraordinary - in any way that can stand the tests of time and larger computers.

*Anyone still occasionally watch the original Star Trek shows? Those are pretty good examples: the graphics cease to matter at a certain point. Psycho is still best in black-and-white. Avatar has pretty graphics, but even if they are exemplary for the moment, they will eventually become universal, and then outdated, and it will be forgotten.

The world was amazing, but honestly? The concept has been done before, and the more important details (such as the Navi and animals "linking" together) were too few and far between. The movie's plot obviously had very little thought put into it. Clique and boring. Overall, I disliked the movie, because everything had to be saved by excessive bioluminescense and 3D special effects. Not a good way to make a movie.

DNH, I was very excited when I saw the teaser (shorter) trailer. Thought it would be an epic war movie between humans and blue aliens. Epic as in LoTR epic. .__.

Sure, the world and the creature were nice, love Na'vi design, but I hoped it would be a tragic movie. Yep.

Storywise, Titanic is a much more memorable movie. .__.

Edited by lightbird

Watched the HBO premier of Avatar last night (don't own it on DD yet sad.gif) and I'd say it ever gets old (unless you were to watch it like every day or something... then I'm sure it would get old lol).

I do agree that the story isn't original, as I've said before, but hey, maybe I don't watch it for the story line tongue.gif

Well I liked the cliche. All we've got recently are horror movies. HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!!! We don't need 1,000,000,000 horror movies in a row. Specially Sci-Fi movies. 99.99% are horror. Any comedy movies are either the spoof-movies or just really stupid.

So the cliche was a nice breather.

IF they make a sequel (and I pray they wont (it doesn't need one)) I just hope it isn't "go back to earth" and really make it a copy of Pocahontas where the sequel was "back to britain".

It's been confirmed that they are, in fact, making two sequels. One scheduled to come out in 2014, the other in 2015.

So what if the plot was re-used? Lots of movies do that. What makes it good is that it was used in a unique way. Or maybe I'm just a sucker for blue aliens. However, I agree that the movie's fine as it is, it doesn't need a sequel.

Also, This. (Warning: Language and alien exploding from human)

Avatar was wonderful in its visual effects, too bad it severely lacked everything else. I don't feel like watching it again, to me a film that doesn't have a good story is not worth watching twice... or sometimes even once.

I think the best part of Avatar was the developed ecosystem of the world, how everything was inter-connected. After that it did get very reminiscent of a lot of movies. However, it was re-told in a half-way decent manner. So it may not have been the best, but it was far from being the worst by a long shot.

I will most likely never own it, but it was decent enough that I am not sorry for having shelled out to see it in the theatre.

That's the argument I always hear, "It looked pretty, and well... it looked pretty. Nothing much else to recommend the movie."

I feel like an outcast because Avatar is one of my favorite movies, I can't wait to see any sequels, I could actually tolerate the game(only if I played as a blue monkey, and really only after the first few hours did it get tolerable), I can't wait for the novelization...

I can't even justify myself because I know the movie could have been so much more and wasn't. I don't know WHY I love it so much, and I won't even mention how much I like it to my friends because they all scoff at it.

It was stunning in 3D, the visuals were beautiful.

It's been confirmed that they are, in fact, making two sequels. One scheduled to come out in 2014, the other in 2015.

Oh geez. Oh well. I stick to my statement.

Any bets that Avatar 2 will borrow the plot from Pocahontas 2? However, what will they do for the 3rd film? I'm guessing Narnia

-K-

That's the argument I always hear, "It looked pretty, and well... it looked pretty. Nothing much else to recommend the movie."

I feel like an outcast because Avatar is one of my favorite movies, I can't wait to see any sequels, I could actually tolerate the game(only if I played as a blue monkey, and really only after the first few hours did it get tolerable), I can't wait for the novelization...

I can't even justify myself because I know the movie could have been so much more and wasn't. I don't know WHY I love it so much, and I won't even mention how much I like it to my friends because they all scoff at it.

It was stunning in 3D, the visuals were beautiful.

You're no the only one. It's my favorite too, but no one outside of my family knows it.

I'm getting the collectors edition for Christmas )

Any bets that Avatar 2 will borrow the plot from Pocahontas 2? However, what will they do for the 3rd film? I'm guessing Narnia

-K-

You mean back to earth? Oh I hope not. It would be totally out of character for the tribe (any except maybe jake or other earth born people). They seem too conected to the planet to want to leave.

-K-

Pochohontas 3: The Search For El Dorado.

Pochohontas 3: The Search For El Dorado.

Oh God, don't give them ideas!

Personaly I view Avatar in the same way I view a lot of the modern computer games - very, very pretty; totally lacking in anything resembling a good plot.

Vol ke lolu keteng, slä lì'fya 'o' lu. tongue.gif

Translation: The plot wasn't unique, but the language is fun.

I just wish I had someone to speak it with...

So far it's my favourite movie thus far. The acting could have been a tad better (I will admit that) but what I'm a real fan of is the CGI. Oh. My. Gosh.

I watch movies like this sometimes for the sole purpose of critiquing the animation and picking out flaws in it. In Avatar I left the theatre completely dazed because it was so beautiful with so few flaws. Of course, I'm still a sci-fi junky at heart, so that didn't help.