Dark Moon

Wild Magic

how can you not like wild magic? daine's connection to animals was adorable.

but aly is my favorite.

Am I the only one who wasn't a fan of Aly's books? I did like them, but compared to the rest of the Tortall books they are down on the bottom. As I said above, Allana's books were my favorite - though it was annoying how she decided to connect with almost every male she came across. And George is my favorite character....

I'm eagerly awaiting Mastiff. The first book was awesome and the second was okay, but I like the new "diary style" storytelling Tamora Pierce uses. Then again... maybe my favorite books are the ones with our favorite purple-eyed cat rolleyes.gif

I never really got into Aly's set either... I don't know why.

The Terrier books have been a nice change though, I agree. Most all of her other characters are nobles, or rise to the ranks of nobles. It's nice to see a character doing great things without being a high-ranking, important person.

I liked the first Protector of the Small, but after that is seemed way too focused on romance. I like action, not romance.

Same with Trickster, although I like the second too, just not as much as the first.

If the books are ONLY romance, then I put it down (well...I make exceptions...actually, I make a LOT of exceptions, so don't mind me.)

But I like a mixture of action and romance and complicatedness. So yeah. That's why I love Tamora Pierce's books. ALL OF THEM. (well the Circle books not as much...)

I'm only going to say that Wild Magic is the name of the first book of the Immortals series but if that's what you meant, sorry ^^'; anywho, i love the Immortals series by Tamora Pierce along with her Song of the Lioness quartet and the Protector of the Small quartet.

I love how she writes quartets, and the way she names them. Anyways, I read the Immortals quartet. A while ago. And I may or may not have needed a quick refreshing of what the series was about through wikipedia. But that's besides the point. Anyways, I loved Skysong, the dragon. And all the creatures that Daine met (like the wolves and dinosaurs... haha), probably more than Daine the character, because she was kind of Mary Sue-ish. Still a great series though, I enjoyed it a lot.

it's a great series happy.gif; i have no idea how many times I've read it but it's probably close to about 20 now but that might be an over exaggeration.

Tammy is one of my absolute FAVOURITE authors. My faourite series is the Song of the Lioness, followed by Protector of the Small, then The Immortals. Circle of Magic is pretty good, but I was less impressed by the Trickster series. I have to admit I haven't yet read the Beka Cooper books, but they are next on my list of books to buy.

My favourite character is Raoul. I was so disappointed when he took up with Buri. She simply isn't good enough for him! dry.gif

Truth is, I've only been reading them for over twenty years. It's kinda nice to know the stuff I enjoyed when I was a teenager is still popular now (God, that makes me sound old tongue.gif )

FS

Edited by FaolainnStorm

I've started reading and am on the second book; no spoilers! wink.gif

And I thought it was called The Immortals?

And I thought it was called The Immortals?

Yes, that is the name of the series. Wild Magic is the title of the first book.

The Immortals was the first series I'd read by Tamora Pierce, and is still one of my favorites. :3 I haven't read it since 8th grade though (6 years ago), so I can't really say much about Mary Sue-ness, but I liked the Immortals better than the Lioness quartet, and that better than Protector of the Small. I never managed to read the Circle books.

I am soooo eager for her book about Numair, though. :333 2 more years til it comes out...

I read Wild Magic series first, then PoS, then Tricksters, then Beka, and so on...

then I went back and reread Alanna.

I like PoS the best, then Tricksters, then Beka and Wild Magic are tied, then Alanna is my least favorite.

Idk why.

I know, Emmejo =3

Finished the second book. Waiting for my dad to take me to the library~

I finally got round to buying "Melting Stones" and "Terrier". I read "Melting Stones" first and it was good. I really enjoyed it. *thumbs up*

Then last night I started on "Terrier", and I have got to say - WOW! biggrin.gif That was such a good book. I ended up reading ALL night to get it finished. Now I have to find a copy of "Bloodhound". I can't wait to read more of that series.

FS

Oh, and I just gotta ask - what the heck is "Mary-Sueness"? blink.gif I take it to mean an overpowered character, but where does it come from? Someone please enlighten an oldie biggrin.gif, and satisfy my burning curiosity.

Edited by FaolainnStorm

Mary-sues or Gary-stues are characters that are perfect in every way, never seem to mess up, and are just...bleh. I don't know where it comes from, though tongue.gif

I believe the term "Mary-sue" comes from fanfiction. The term describes a character that is has no flaws, can do pretty much anything, is loved by everyone, etc.

If you look mary-sue up in google or wikipedia you could probably find the origin and history of the term...

Oh, and I just gotta ask - what the heck is "Mary-Sueness"? blink.gif I take it to mean an overpowered character, but where does it come from? Someone please enlighten an oldie biggrin.gif, and satisfy my burning curiosity.

It originally came from fanfiction- a Star Trek one, actually. It was a parody fanfiction, featuring the new member 'Mary-Sue' with amazing space powerz, including the ability that any life-form which identifies as male to fall in love with her xd.png

Now a days, Mary-Sue (and the partner term Gary-Stu) means someone that's just too perfect. Usually very pretty/handsome, extra talented in many different ways, and a love interest to a main character.

Tamora Peirce does tend to stray along the Mary-Sue lines. But her stories are fun, so I can forgive her- its when they crop up in really bad stories that its painful.

no, her slight mary sueness is not very prominent-- her books are amazingly written which makes up for the leetle mary sue instances.

Anyway, enough of the Mary Sue stuff.

I really don't get how licking up her blood makes the People more...human...? huh.gif

Thanks for that! I've never heard the term "Mary-Sue" before - I guess I don't read (or write) enough fan-fic. After reading the wiki, I'm not sure I'd describe Tammy's characters as very Mary Sue, but maybe a little. But the good storylines do make up for it.

The blood thing comes from the "Immortals" - the animals or "People" (as they called themselves) became more intelligent and humanlike after biting Daine, ingesting her blood. I always figured that it had something to do with the magic being in her blood, and when an amimal bit her, they got a little bit of her blood and her magic - which being divine and linked to animals, had an effect on them. But if they had bitten someone with the Gift, it wouldn't have had the same effect.

FS

@Dark: Have you read the Immortals? blink.gif That's what I'm talking about.

@Fao: Yeah, but doesn't Daine have the power to communicate with the People? And the People already can communicate with themselves...