Dark Moon

Wild Magic

I read the whole series twice! I believe it's an amazing tale full of adventure and even a bit of romance. What do you love/hate about this series? Who is your favorite character?

It was the first of her books I ever read. It took me forever to find the second....I'd just read the whole first Alanna series, and was stumped on what to read next. I decided to re-read that one on a whim, not knowing it was by the same author. When I noticed the maps were exactly alike, though...

I still enjoy the series, but now I find Daine somewhat of a Mary-Sue. She is really over-powered, and has Mary-Sue traits. (Child of a god, apparently orphaned, ability to speak and transform into animals, etc...).

Still, love the series, and love the cameos of other characters.

<3

It's classic. Definitely Mary-Sue-ish, but that's how most Tamora Pierce is I think.

Honestly I don't remember too much from this series. I only read this one because I loved Circle of Magic so much, but this was really cool too. I think Tamora Pierce has a thing for guys in ponytails.

I like all her books. I started reading her when I was 9. I love her.

I dont see this Mary-Sue business in Wild Magic, but then again, I have no idea what a Mary-sue is.

I dont like the fact that she maried Numair. You dont see any romance between the two, like you did with Alanna/George. Its just boom, they are married.

I, however, cant wait untill Mastiff: Beka Cooper #3.

I ddidt like her newest book, Melting Stones as well as I liked all her other ones. I hope her other new books will be better than that one. It was a tad confusing, which is odd for her.

I know you didnt bring up the Magic Circle Series, which Melting Stones is part of.

I have to say, I like her Tortall series better than her Magic Circle Series. Maybe because Ive spent, oh, 15 years reading her Tortall Series and only about 6 reading the Magic Circle ones.

Edited by Kanaye

I dont like the fact that she maried Numair. You dont see any romance between the two, like you did with Alanna/George. Its just boom, they are married.

I disagree. The romance is much more subtle and slow building, right from the beginning there was a slight attraction, and the whole series built it up a little bit at a time. It was a bit sudden at the end, I do think there should have been one more book in there to keep the pacing even.

Also a Mary-Sue is a character who is too perfect. I do think Diane is a bit of a Mary-Sue, but nowhere near as badly as most teen fantasy heroines!

I read those a while back... they were fun. Not the best, but not the worse. Whee, shape-shifting!

I read those a while back... they were fun. Not the best, but not the worse. Whee, shape-shifting!

Same here. They were dece.

OKAY I just found out she came out with a new book for her Circle Magic series, and it's been out for like five years! So mad I never knew.

OKAY I just found out she came out with a new book for her Circle Magic series, and it's been out for like five years! So mad I never knew.

Oh, yeah, Melting Stones! That was interesting.

She says next one she's writing is about Briar, Rosethorn and Evvy in war. Should be good, especially the bit about finding Luvo.

Her books are great and if you liked them you will definitely (with an I, not an A) like books by Mercedes Lackey Both of them are great writers.

I liked the darker books :3

Tamora Pierce is one of my favorite authors. I absolutely ADORE her characters, even if people call them Mary Sues... but then I sort of don't care if you can call someone a Mary Sue or not. The old authors did it and people love their stories.

I've read all of the Tortall books up to Bloodhound (can't find that one anywhere still D=!), and the first quartet in the Circle of Magic since that's the less popular series where I am, not many people have the rest of the books.

<3

It's classic. Definitely Mary-Sue-ish, but that's how most Tamora Pierce is I think.

this. I loved them though!

YES! Luve luv luv luv luv x3

Bloodhound wasn't the best of her work, but the actual plot was awesome smile.gif

I can't even decide what my favorite series from her are... they're all really good... I like Trickster's...Protector of the Small...Wild magic...rrgh...

Tamora Pierce is AMAZING. I'm rereading two of her series, Alanna and Aly, right now, actually.

Although I have to admit, Wild Magic was my least favorite of her Tortall ones. Not because it wasn't good, just because the others were a lot BETTER.

1. Aly or Kel. I can't decide.

2. Alanna

3. Wild Magic or the Beka Cooper ones.

Still, she's definitely one of my favorite authors. I saw her once. It was cool. tongue.gif

I really enjoyed the series. It was fun and different! biggrin.gif

My big complaint with it was how Daine despised chickens for their noise, smell, and low intelligence. My chickens are smart, clean, and not very noisy. dry.gif

I LOVED the Tamora Pierce books. All of them. My mom bought me the Wild Mage series back when I was about 10 years old, maybe a little older, and I've been addicted ever since. I've always envied Daine her powers since I would give my right arm to be able to talk to animals. I can't wait for the next installment of the Beka Cooper books to come out. It is kind of nice to know about ancient Tortall and George's heritage. The one I'm really chomping at the bit for though is the book she's promised us to fill in the gaps as to what happened to Rosethorn, Briar, and Evvy in the war. I feel like she has been teasing us, giving us just enough details to make me scream "But what happened to them?" They keep referencing the war and the things they went through but not telling us ANYTHING!!!! I want to know, especially with Briar's past, what could have happened to him to give him PTSD. He has already seen more horror by the time Nico found him than most adults ever do.

I like Tamora Pierce's Tortall books better than her Circle of Magic books. Then again, I prefer reading about knights than magic. Alanna's books are my favorites, but I prefer the subtle, building romance in Daine's books.

Best part about any of the books is that they are easy (and fun) to read again. Then again, I first read her books about 8 years ago so they time might be a factor tongue.gif

I loved Tamora Pierce's book. I've read every single one of them (well except for Mastiff, I just could not get interested in it). IMO The Circle of Magic is a better series than the Tortall series.

Although now that I think about it, most of the characters are Mary/Gary Stu/Sueish, and the fact that any climatic point is solved relatively quickly- I mean the main character always has more power/strength than the enemy they're facing!

Circle of Magic: Four kids- stopped an earthquake, defeated a pirate fleet, and much much more (but I can't remember)

Tortall: Alanna defeated the Count (or whatever by overpowering him), the "immortals" were all too easily defeated, etc. etc.

Daine:.... she brought dinosaurs back to life and destroyed a rule of tyranny... single handed.

Kel: She finished a war with her oh so brilliant plans, and brought down the antagonist after no one else (more skilled than her) is able to!

Still love the series though <3

love love love love love love times a million tamora pierce & her books

i've only read all of them ten times each

I love Tammy P and all her books, but Wild Magic was probably my least favorite set.

I'm more of a Circle of Magic fan. But Alanna is one of my favorite heroines of all time. :3

I've decided on my choices.

well, more than I did before.

So I think that wild magic is indeed my least favorite series. I loved it though,its just the other ones were better.

now, second to last, is Beka Cooper for the same reason as above. I loved it too! I can't wait for Mastiff! (2011...such a long wait sad.gif)

next up would be Alanna. I loved it as well! I just didn't like her reasoning of going off on her own into the desert in book 3...I just like Tortall I guess tongue.gif

next after that would be the Tricksters series. I loved Aly! She was so clever at times, though people would call her a Mary Sue, you can't have all the women in stories be knights in shining armor. smile.gif

and finally, the winner of first, would be protector of the small. Kel is my favorite character <3

I read the first book in the series a few years ago, then I got into the Song of the Lioness series, etc. I was stupid enough to skip the rest of the Immortals series and go ahead to the Protector of the Small Quartet. I had to do a lot of guess work in that book to make sure I understood everything because there was such a wide difference in the times. Anyways, totally can't wait until Mastiff!