Melas

Amend Precognition flavour text for low-timed eggs

As the title says (I hope that's not secretly controversial)!

> Moyrn uses the power of time magic to create an illusion of the future, revealing that this egg will be female, though its future may still be influenced.

While influenced eggs will have the last line removed, the flavour text for using Precognition on a low time egg below 3d1h will still contain the last line, despite the Influence BSA being unavailable when it reaches 3d.

Might be a bit confusing for incubated eggs, but if it counts time since it was laid, I’m all for it.

Feels proper.

1 hour ago, inghelene said:

Might be a bit confusing for incubated eggs, but if it counts time since it was laid, I’m all for it.

Feels proper.

Wait, you can still use Influence on an egg with 2d1h to 3d as long as it was Incubated??  I thought the 3d or under cutoff still applied, you basically just remove a day from your window to Influence

29 minutes ago, KageSora said:

Wait, you can still use Influence on an egg with 2d1h to 3d as long as it was Incubated??  I thought the 3d or under cutoff still applied, you basically just remove a day from your window to Influence

Yeah, but you can trade it to get rid of the incubate. So saying it can’t be influenced anymore is technically incorrect.

9 minutes ago, inghelene said:

Yeah, but you can trade it to get rid of the incubate. So saying it can’t be influenced anymore is technically incorrect.

I mean, not really?  YOU can't Influence unless you bounce it.  The line should change based on how much time is left, not time since it was laid.  If you bounce it then it would go back to saying you can Influence it.

41 minutes ago, KageSora said:

I mean, not really?  YOU can't Influence unless you bounce it.  The line should change based on how much time is left, not time since it was laid.  If you bounce it then it would go back to saying you can Influence it.

I like to think that if someone realise they didn’t influence before incubating, the game telling you it can’t be influenced further is replacing one inaccuracy with another. :)

1 minute ago, inghelene said:

I like to think that if someone realise they didn’t influence before incubating, the game telling you it can’t be influenced further is replacing one inaccuracy with another. :)

But it's not?

It can't be Influenced by them at that moment unless they bounce it.  If the game says "it can still be influenced" then they go to use Influence and see that it's not got enough time left how is that better?

The idea behind this suggestion is to change the wording to reflect if you are at this exact moment in time capable of using Influence on the egg that you've used Precognition on or not.  If you have to bounce the egg through a Teleport to use Influence, then you can't Influence it at the moment that you use Precognition.

2 minutes ago, KageSora said:

But it's not?

It can't be Influenced by them at that moment unless they bounce it.  If the game says "it can still be influenced" then they go to use Influence and see that it's not got enough time left how is that better?

The idea behind this suggestion is to change the wording to reflect if you are at this exact moment in time capable of using Influence on the egg that you've used Precognition on or not.  If you have to bounce the egg through a Teleport to use Influence, then you can't Influence it at the moment that you use Precognition.

I guess that’s where we disagree on this thread. :D 

I’d personally be sad to precog an egg to see the wrong gender, and then later learn I could have corrected it by sending an egg to a friend.

But if you want it to just reflect what you see on the influence list, that’s your preference. :) 

I don’t think we’ll change each other’s opinions on this.

Though there might be a wording that would embrace both. Something like “… is currently too close to hatch”.

However, thinking about it, in this scenario, an egg influenced to x gender can still change gender if traded, so tj is the wiser one as he’d otherwise risk thinking the influence was permanent pre-hatch. 

So I guess a text saying you can’t influence the gender of your egg alone anymore might be more accurate. 
Otherwise you’d need a lot more text variation depending on wether the egg had been influenced previously or not.

I see no negatives for this suggestion.

I already know that I couldn't influence that egg, but it could be confusing for newer players to have conflicting information between the two BSAs, so I think it could be helpful.

Support for the original suggestion. I almost never use Precog on something that has enough time to Influence (usually just on low time Halloween eggs), so it feels like being kicked while I'm down to be taunted with the idea that I could Influence an egg when it's impossible. :lol:

As for things that have been Incubated, if I go to use Influence on an egg that is too low time after being Incubated, it says (Not enough time). It does not say (Not enough time, unless traded with another player), even if that's true and more accurate. So for both simplicity and consistency it makes sense to me that Precog would also ignore Incubation.

Also, just removing the "though its future may still be influenced" doesn't actually make it state that it can't still be influenced.

32 minutes ago, inghelene said:

I guess that’s where we disagree on this thread. :D 

I’d personally be sad to precog an egg to see the wrong gender, and then later learn I could have corrected it by sending an egg to a friend.

But if you want it to just reflect what you see on the influence list, that’s your preference. :) 

I don’t think we’ll change each other’s opinions on this.

Though there might be a wording that would embrace both. Something like “… is currently too close to hatch”.

However, thinking about it, in this scenario, an egg influenced to x gender can still change gender if traded, so tj is the wiser one as he’d otherwise risk thinking the influence was permanent pre-hatch. 

So I guess a text saying you can’t influence the gender of your egg alone anymore might be more accurate. 
Otherwise you’d need a lot more text variation depending on wether the egg had been influenced previously or not.

But you wouldn't be sad to learn that an egg is the wrong gender with Precog, only to go and use Influence an be told "sorry, it doesn't have enough time left"?

I honestly don't think it needs a lot of text variation--the change is about are you, at this exact moment, capable of going to one of your dragons and having it use the Influence BSA on the egg.  If you have to bounce it, either because it was Influenced already or Incubated, then you cannot at that exact moment Influence it.  Would you rather it say "cannot be Influenced unless you jump through hoops and have a trusted trading partner to bounce the egg to remove some of the effects of the previous BSAs you used on it"?  That'd be about the only possible way you could make the text 100% totally accurate.

14 minutes ago, GhostMouse said:

Support for the original suggestion. I almost never use Precog on something that has enough time to Influence (usually just on low time Halloween eggs), so it feels like being kicked while I'm down to be taunted with the idea that I could Influence an egg when it's impossible. :lol:

As for things that have been Incubated, if I go to use Influence on an egg that is too low time after being Incubated, it says (Not enough time). It does not say (Not enough time, unless traded with another player), even if that's true and more accurate. So for both simplicity and consistency it makes sense to me that Precog would also ignore Incubation.

Also, just removing the "though its future may still be influenced" doesn't actually make it state that it can't still be influenced.

Yes, this exactly.  Influence and Incubate also only say that you've already used it and don't say "but if you want to use it again (or use a different influence) Teleport your egg to another player and have them Teleport it back" despite that being more accurate.

Furthermore, if you Influence an egg and then use Precog (perhaps you forgot what you Influenced it as or that you did Influence it) then it removes the "can still be influenced" line--despite the fact that you can use Influence on it again as long as you bounce it to somebody to remove the first Influence.

The removal of the "can still be influenced" line for eggs that are too low-time to presently be Influenced is merely bringing it into line with existing situations in which you cannot currently use Influence on an egg even if you could regain the ability to via bouncing it.

The suggestion as presented in the OP makes logical sense, is consistent with other current gameplay mechanics, and I support it as OP outlined.

32 minutes ago, GhostMouse said:

Oh yeah, just removing the “might still be influenced” is actually a pretty solid idea by itself. 
Especially as it deals with the possibility of having players thinking it was permanent, and then trading in case it was influenced.

Posted (edited)

I support the origional idea,

and possibly changing it to ‘precog says this egg will be female, it’s future can no longer be influenced because there’s not enough time left’

or something written out more eloquently but with that kind of idea…..

i think that would clarify that you can’t influence the egg, but it’s a timing matter, so if you can get someone to catch and return, then it’s fairly clear, at least to everyone who knows that teleporting an egg removes the incubate.

I didn’t know this for prolly my first few years playing, but that was before the trading hub and it’s a lot more obvious now because an egg on your scroll will say 5 days for example but in the telelink it’ll say 6 days.

I honk explaining in the little blurb specifically that teleporting it will make it influenceable like ‘it’s future can no longer be influenced unless the teleport bsa is used’ is a little long worded…..

but the first thing I suggested I think would be workable….. I know it’s not verbatim what it says, but it’s close enough that y’all get what I mean 😅 

Edited by CandraCat

On 4/13/2024 at 4:29 PM, CandraCat said:

I support the origional idea,

and possibly changing it to ‘precog says this egg will be female, it’s future can no longer be influenced because there’s not enough time left’

I'm all for this