unishamaani

Can't access forum on desktop since the forum update

As the title says, I cannot log in on the forums ever since the latest forum update. The same happens on multiple different depktop computers, and using firefox as browser.

Writing this on my phone, and it definitely isn't my preference. Changing into different browser isn't in the realm of my choices either. Anyone else have the same problem, will this get fixed?

Edited by unishamaani

It took me a few minutes to figure out why I couldn't log in...it is asking for your e-mail address now, not your user name.  Hopefully your problem is as simple to fix. :)

I think that might be it--I had the same problem when I tried to log in after resetting passwords (unrelated reasons) and didn't realize at first I needed to use the email not username.

Yes - that's an invision thing - it is also the case for the other invision forum I am on.

7 hours ago, WWECornSerpent said:

It took me a few minutes to figure out why I couldn't log in...it is asking for your e-mail address now, not your user name.  Hopefully your problem is as simple to fix. :)

This is correct, and was called out in a later edit to the announcement. The given reason for this behavior is that your username is public information, which can make it easier to target a given account and could possibly allow someone to lock out your account by intentionally failing to log in several times. Email addresses, on the other hand, have the possibility of being more private.

Regardless, I strongly encourage everyone to refresh your memory on which email is associated with your forum account—it may be outdated or not the one you'd expect.

On 9/29/2023 at 3:16 PM, TJ09 said:

This is correct, and was called out in a later edit to the announcement. The given reason for this behavior is that your username is public information, which can make it easier to target a given account and could possibly allow someone to lock out your account by intentionally failing to log in several times. Email addresses, on the other hand, have the possibility of being more private.

Regardless, I strongly encourage everyone to refresh your memory on which email is associated with your forum account—it may be outdated or not the one you'd expect.

This is great advice, but I don't actually understand how to do it. The email isn't displayed anywhere on the profile, so how is someone supposed to 'check' which email they registered their username with when they're unable to log in? I'm here because a friend is having this exact problem and neither of us can figure out how to get anywhere with it!

The email she uses for her DC account does NOT work with her forum password, but there's no way for her to see her account info to find out the email since she's logged out. She asked me to log in and look, and I did, but I can't see it either. TJ has just confirmed that the email is private information. So how is anyone supposed to be able to log in if they used different emails for their DC and Forum accounts? Trying the 'log in with DC' option prompted her to create a whole new forum account, and wouldn't let her claim her username because it was 'already in use,' so there doesn't seem to be a way to synch up the new login method with an old account.

Edited by Aventurine

It's on the scroll  Account page - very prominently.

image.png.b0a918b2e80fb7b114180ab81e32fee9.png

and for the forum, in Account Settings. My two are different, and I can see them both.

in image.png.643a4391caf3b87fca9a90a173e2467c.png

4 hours ago, Aventurine said:

TJ has just confirmed that the email is private information. So how is anyone supposed to be able to log in if they used different emails for their DC and Forum accounts?

It's private as in it's not shown to others. You should still know your own email address(es).

What I do is the same thing I do when I don't remember which password--try a few different ones.  It won't automatically lock your friend out if they just get it wrong once or anything like that (though there may be a cool down after a certain number of attempts as a deterrent to people trying to get into somebody else's account).

6 hours ago, TJ09 said:

It's private as in it's not shown to others. You should still know your own email address(es).

Unfortunately, she didn't know, and wasn't able to see that info when logged out, so I was asking if there was something other than "well you should have known" as a backup for users who don't.

Fortunately, however, my friend was able to guess what email it was in the end, so crisis averted in this case!

Edited by Aventurine

32 minutes ago, Aventurine said:

Unfortunately, she didn't know, and wasn't able to see that info when logged out, so I was asking if there was something other than "well you should have known" as a backup for users who don't.

Sadly there's not really an alternative way to give that information out--the accounts aren't tied to any kind of verifiable personal identification so there's no real way for a forum admin like TJ to tell if somebody or their friend/sibling/etc. really did forget a password/username/e-mail/etc. or if it's a lie to try and get access to an account that isn't theirs.

(As a semi-related aside, also a good reminder for everybody--make sure you have access to the e-mail you signed up with, and if you don't change that!  I've been locked out of accounts before because they were tied to an e-mail that's long gone and, despite knowing the log-in info, I couldn't pass the 2-step verification because of it.)