Fuzzbucket

Trades not cancelling

Go to solution Solved by 11th,

I offer on trades, frequently. When an offer is declined the trade is not cancelling - I had noticed this when I had a trade of my own up; the egg/hatchie would still show as in trade after I rejected an offer - but today I note that my offers to people who have rejected me are still showing as active, which means that the other trader must be getting a bit hacked off, thinking I keep offering the same thing over and over - and I can't go and offer on something else, as my own trading page shows the item is still in trade - I have to go and cancel the trade myself before I can do anything. Can this please be fixed - it was not always thus...

OK - here you have it. I offered on a trade earlier this evening. I now have this - I offered:

trade.JPG.08c6863768fc0256edd90a8ec770baca.JPG 

It was declined:

image.png.8022f5b55ae75818c779f821f1fa7eab.png

But as you can see from the time on the one above - it's still up there. and STILL is: 

image.png.d8679e766d12714840f41bc6af88f35b.png

And it will stay that way till I cancel it. This is happening every time an offer is declined. That's - not right !

OHk - many hours later and it's still up there. I shall now cancel it, for the trader's convenience, as they can't do anything till I do, unless they can accept another offer - but @TJ09 - why is this happening and can you make it not happen - this isn't just a one off - I did let the trader know what had happened and  why I hadn't cancelled yet and they said it has happened to them too.

image.png.eae045d955e133d28374d2f66caad90a.png

Edited by Fuzzbucket

Strange. I had that issue a long time ago, but not since then.

And here it is from the other end - I got an offer; I accepted; I have the hatchies on my scroll - and:

image.png.af86d65be1073499394f2b1dcb3bb9e5.png

*sigh*

On 9/5/2023 at 1:02 PM, Fuzzbucket said:

And here it is from the other end - I got an offer; I accepted; I have the hatchies on my scroll - and:

image.png.af86d65be1073499394f2b1dcb3bb9e5.png

*sigh*

This is not the same issue. Loading your own trade after accepting has apparently been broken for a while--the trade has completely gone through, it just isn't showing the "You've [canceled/accepted an offer on] this trade" message.

As for your reports of offers not declining, I've been investigating but haven't found anything. There are test cases that make sure that declining an offer actually declines the offer, and the fact that this isn't really being reported by anyone else indicates something specific is happening here.

@TJ09 I've reported the same issue before. It's been happening to me also. I'm on my way to work so don't have time to screenshot and post, but it shows in my notifications that several trades I've offered on have been canceled twice within the same day, on offers I have only made once. I THINK it may be because sometimes I have an open tab that I refresh after the trade has been 'canceled' on the other end, possibly preventing it from actually canceling?

solarswitchback declined your offer on their trade.
Sep 04, 2023 1:27 pm EDT
https://dragcave.net/images/v7ow.gif https://dragcave.net/images/3DZA.png
solarswitchback declined your offer on their trade.
Sep 04, 2023 5:38 am EDT

Edited by Tawanda001

Actually that's the same trader that my first images were with. And they said it had happened to them before.

Sometimes people offer the exact same thing on my trade again and again despite me declining every time. I always thought they wanted to give me one more opportunity to consider it... but this could be another explanation (perhaps even a more likely one).

Although, I haven't experienced this in a while really. Fortunately, because I always started to feel a bit bad eventually about not accepting!

That's EXACTLY what happens - once someone actually asked why I kept offering the same thing.

I located the trade in Fuzzbucket's screenshot, as well as the only time Tawanda001 has offered on trades from the person in the quoted notification. In both cases, you submitted the same offer multiple times. In both cases, the second offer was submitted after the first one was declined.

So it sounds like the issue is managing to resubmit offers without intending to (at least, it doesn't sound like you intended to resubmit your offers after they were declined), rather than declines not actually declining.

I absolutely did not; I went back to the general trading page after it was declined, to see if there was anything else I could offer on (I had a very nice egg to use ! - and it still showed and so I couldn't offer it on anything; I l closed my browser and when I reopened the page, it was still there. I did NOT re-offer. I took screenies as it was the first time it had happened since I had first posted about it - shot down everything and went to bed. It was still there in the morning. I did NOTHING else to it. I'm sorry, TJ - but I didn't. Nor on the previous occasions it has happened. I don't nag at traders that way - a decline is a decline. But in future I guess I will just have to cancel declined offers myself.

@TJ09 - could "offered on a trade" please be added to the action log - then we can SEE.... SO much more useful than "named"

Posted (edited) Solution

I tested a bit with Fyrebird & the best we were able to confirm was that refreshing after the offer is declined will repost (or rather, re-POST) the offer, though the browser states that it is resending information and prompts the user to confirm or cancel the refresh. Notifications get sent out again when the refresh is confirmed. We only received one notification for the offer declining per offer sent, even for offers by refresh. Short: If you two are keeping the trade page open after offering & refreshing to check on it, and ignoring that pop-up, then that will automatically resend the offer if it had already been declined.

There is a way to disable the prompt, but the browsers we used (Firefox desktop, Chrome desktop & mobile) all had it on by default, and I would assume that most/all other browsers do as well. I didn't test disabling the prompt, but I assume that it would just automatically repost the offer upon refresh, which would make it even easier to miss that it is reposting.

Fyre also pointed out that the offer reposting upon refresh makes it very easy to spam reoffers on teleports by refreshing.

Edited by 11th

Yes, I did state I thought the issue may be related to having an open tab on an offer. However I do not get any sort of prompt or pop up message that refreshing the page will cause the offer to resend, possibly due to my adblocker?(chrome).  I guess the simple solution is to make sure tabs are closed before checking offers already made . I sure wish I had known that the trades would resend with the simple act of refreshing an open tab, I'm sure it would have prevented a lot of confusion and aggravation on both ends of the trades.

An ad blocker shouldn't prevent the prompt. If you have ever changed your browser settings through about:config (FF) or chrome://about (Chrome), then you may have disabled them at some point. There may be other ways to disable the prompt that I'm unaware of, but that is the main way.

4 hours ago, 11th said:

An ad blocker shouldn't prevent the prompt. If you have ever changed your browser settings through about:config (FF) or chrome://about (Chrome), then you may have disabled them at some point. There may be other ways to disable the prompt that I'm unaware of, but that is the main way.

It may depend on the adblocker, it might be possible for it to block the pop-up.  I know some of them get used to block those obnoxious "sign up now!" pop-ups on articles and such.

But I don't think that's a default setting, it'd have to be something the user set themselves I'd imagine.

That said if you refresh a page and hit enter fast enough you don't always even see re-submit pop-up, it's happened to me before elsewhere.

8 hours ago, 11th said:

I tested a bit with Fyrebird & the best we were able to confirm was that refreshing after the offer is declined will repost (or rather, re-POST) the offer, though the browser states that it is resending information and prompts the user to confirm or cancel the refresh. Notifications get sent out again when the refresh is confirmed. We only received one notification for the offer declining per offer sent, even for offers by refresh. Short: If you two are keeping the trade page open after offering & refreshing to check on it, and ignoring that pop-up, then that will automatically resend the offer if it had already been declined.

There is a way to disable the prompt, but the browsers we used (Firefox desktop, Chrome desktop & mobile) all had it on by default, and I would assume that most/all other browsers do as well. I didn't test disabling the prompt, but I assume that it would just automatically repost the offer upon refresh, which would make it even easier to miss that it is reposting.

Fyre also pointed out that the offer reposting upon refresh makes it very easy to spam reoffers on teleports by refreshing.

6 hours ago, Tawanda001 said:

Yes, I did state I thought the issue may be related to having an open tab on an offer. However I do not get any sort of prompt or pop up message that refreshing the page will cause the offer to resend, possibly due to my adblocker?(chrome).  I guess the simple solution is to make sure tabs are closed before checking offers already made . I sure wish I had known that the trades would resend with the simple act of refreshing an open tab, I'm sure it would have prevented a lot of confusion and aggravation on both ends of the trades.

I didn't knowingly refresh - but in that case I'm guessing what may have caused it would have been not closing the "offer" tab when I closed my browser (I do usually have MANY tabs open....) and reopening it might have triggered it. I'll make sure not to in future ! Thanks. For now....