Awdz

Separate AP section for hatchlings vs eggs?

I picked up eggs to hatch from the AP and noticed something a little unusual for a non-release week: all of the eggs had hours less than four days to hatch. My concern is that any hatchlings abandoned will likely grow up wild rather than have a chance for someone to pick them up.  Although mass breeders drive me crazy, I respect their right to play the game the way they enjoy, so I am not looking to limit breeding. With that in mind, would a separate AP section for hatchlings be feasible, like I have seen in hatcheries?

image.png.b6fc28d405a72a7cdcd828cf7dbb6f88.png

I've always thought hatchlings should jump to the top of the AP. They have at most 7 days until death while eggs have 14 (assuming they're hatched at the last minute), so even a 7 day hatchling should be considered lower-time than an egg with 1 day left, in my mind. This would be my preferred way of handling this.

(There might be an initial hatchling flood that fills the page, but hatchlings get picked up so quickly that I feel like the AP would be back to showing almost all eggs very soon.)

But as long as it's all one single AP (not a hatchling AP and an egg AP), I support whatever ensures hatchlings show up there before growing up wild or dying without a chance of being picked up. If that's just one or two rows dedicated to showing hatchlings when they're available, that works too.

49 minutes ago, GhostMouse said:

I've always thought hatchlings should jump to the top of the AP. They have at most 7 days until death while eggs have 14 (assuming they're hatched at the last minute), so even a 7 day hatchling should be considered lower-time than an egg with 1 day left, in my mind. This would be my preferred way of handling this.

This is how I have always thought it should work.

2 hours ago, GhostMouse said:

I've always thought hatchlings should jump to the top of the AP.

I think this was how it was originally? 

I prefer the way it is now because it allows holiday hatchie walls to form as a nice fun bonus, and would prefer hatchies just be unable to grow in the AP, but I won't be too upset if it changes back to put hatchlings at the top.

Huh, prioritizing hatchlings by 4 days could work too. I had not thought of that.

Edit: or even one or two days.

Edited by Awdz Bodkins

If eggs count as “14 days” within the sort meant of ap-eggs, most people in ap would benefit from focusing on the top left of the pile. This would greatly punish the “drop and retrieve” tactics some lineage builders use for getting their pink sapphires. (Or the people preferring the old way of trade, if they are still around.)
I would rather suggest they either get a personal line, like with holiday drops in AP, or that hatchlings need to be on 1-2d till death before they grow up in the ap. 

The 1-2 d being my preferred solution.

As for why I’d like 1-2 d before death as the time they grow up in ap:

- It makes more sense lore wise. They can still grow up but need more time as they will be hunting on their own.

- I’d rather have them grow up, than die in ap if normal eggs start hitting 0h during a holiday release.

- Preventing hatchlings from maturing in the ap will invite for larger massbreeds, and reduce incentive for hatching the eggs when ap drops below 4d. Eventually, poorly timed mass breeding could result in ap eggs reaching their last hours before people realise they have several thousand of eggs to hatch. 

That'd be interesting, increasing the view requirements for dragons in ap. We know the requirements can be decreased when bred and grown by the original owner, so the AP thing sounds like a reasonable reversal of it.

Why not, perhaps, something like the last line of the AP being dedicated to hatchlings?  Outside of perhaps holidays there really aren't tons and tons of hatchlings going through the AP at any one time, I'd presume, based on how fast they get snapped up.  So perhaps replacing the last line of eggs with a row for hatchlings and a "there don't seem to be any hatchlings hanging about" message for the times there aren't any?

Basically the effect of having 2 pages but still keeping everything on one single AP.

1 hour ago, KageSora said:

Why not, perhaps, something like the last line of the AP being dedicated to hatchlings?  Outside of perhaps holidays there really aren't tons and tons of hatchlings going through the AP at any one time, I'd presume, based on how fast they get snapped up.  So perhaps replacing the last line of eggs with a row for hatchlings and a "there don't seem to be any hatchlings hanging about" message for the times there aren't any?

Basically the effect of having 2 pages but still keeping everything on one single AP.

I'd support this as long as it doesn't decrease the overall number of dragons showing in the AP - so if there aren't any hatchlings to take up that last line, eggs show in the slots, but maybe still with the explanation message of there not being any hatchlings?

34 minutes ago, StarlightLion said:

I'd support this as long as it doesn't decrease the overall number of dragons showing in the AP - so if there aren't any hatchlings to take up that last line, eggs show in the slots, but maybe still with the explanation message of there not being any hatchlings?

The best way to do that, I think, would be have hatchlings appear in the AP starting from thr bottom right corner that way there's no empty egg slots if there's just one hatchling or something?

I'd suggest adding another row explicitly for hatchlings, however the mobile page already the eggs take up all the room so it would be unfair for mobile players to have the hatchlings appear where they have to scroll because they would have zero chance to see them before they're gone.

The flavor text about their being joined hatchlings could appear below the row where they normally would appear so as not to interfere with the function of the cave on mobile screens and such.