Lushwave

Cave Shuffle Clock, v2.0

Screenshot(88).png.4b72abd9c2c6f25b582c67f89a5575c0.png

Visit the tool here.

Visit the older version (v1.0) here.

As someone who has been using an online timer for years to keep track of cave shuffles, I wanted a timer that was more closely aligned with my needs. So I made one.

The Cave Shuffle Timer is a simple clock that sounds an alert whenever the current time approaches a minute multiple of five. 

• Runs perpetually in the background once started, until paused or closed
  • Alert volume, sound choice, and timing are customizable
  • Uses your local time and omits the hour
  • Sends notifications (if supported) with a direct link to biome of choice
  • Alert preferences are locally stored and remembered by the browser

For those not in the know, eggs in the cave "rotate out" every five minutes on the dot. Being attentive of such rotations, or "shuffles" as they are referred to here, is key to effective cave hunting. The purpose of this tool is to keep the forgetful or multitasking user aware of such shuffles by way of a distinct auditory and visual cue, and to make looking for that one egg you want just a little less of a hassle.

If you encounter an issue not covered in troubleshooting, please notify me here.

I'm open to most suggestions! As a learning developer I'm also open to pointers from those more experienced.

This tool was coded with ToC compliance in mind. The page makes no requests to Dragon Cave and does not interact with the site in any way.

Edited by Lushwave
v2.0

Nice job with this. I think once the timer has started, the button could change to a pause button enabling you to pause it.

If you'd like me to look over your code, let me know. ;) 

As someone who misses cave shuffles by a few seconds most of the time because of being distracted, I can't tell you how much I appreciate this.

I actually managed to catch an 2 Autumn Seasonals this afternoon after hunting hit or miss (mostly miss!) for weeks. :D

Edited by purplehaze

Big day! The Shuffle Clock has been revamped, and the main post accordingly updated. The site has been recoded from the ground up and moved to Github Pages. The old neocities site is still up as I don't really have plans to take it down anytime soon ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

New features:

• Get notifications for upcoming shuffles.* The notifications can take you to a biome of your choice once clicked on.
  • If your browser supports local storage, your settings are automatically saved and loaded each time you open the site.
  • The clock can be paused and played again, at @FortyTwo's suggestion!

* Highly experimental feature, may not work across all browsers, devices, or circumstances. See troubleshooting for known problems.

This is so cool! I just stumbled over this thread and appreciate you sharing this very neat feature with us!

Thank you for sharing! I have horrible attention span so the timer tool is extremely helpful, especially with the current new release.

Edited by Naraku

v2.1 Changes (is this how the version system works...?)

• Mainly code cleanup, making JS look nicer and the HTML more accessibility-friendly. Shoutout to FortyTwo for the assistance.
  • There was an issue for Chrome users where the timer would be throttled if inactive. A fix has been implemented, currently observing for if issues remain.

If anything's off, be sure to hard refresh (Ctrl+F) the tool before use. And if issues persist do let me know - even if you feel it's a "you" thing!

Ohhh this looks so incredibly helpful! I am forever getting distracted right before a cave shuffle, I'm so excited to try out this tool! Thank you so much ❤️

@purplehaze linked me here. this is great, since i'm very good at looking at the clock at the 1s and 6s, and not the 9s and 4s!

in fact, i stopped typing this post to answer the beep i set it to, and got another Nebula! wee! (2 more now. :D)

Tiny update just in time for the holiday season, the Holiday biome is now an option in the "jump to biome when clicked" dropdown.

The biome page itself does not currently exist of course, but will during the Halloween, Xmas, and Valentines' weeks.

I’ve just tried both versions of the timer and both don’t make a sound for me. I’m on an iPad, using Safari and it isn’t on silent. Is there anything I could try?

Thanks for making this!

Unfortunately, at least on android mobile in Firefox, it only works (i.e. gives a notification and noise) if it's the page in focus on Firefox. This means I can't browse other webpages if I want to use this for an alert. Nor does it work with my phone locked, meaning I have to have my phone unlocked with the screen on the whole time.

Is there a way for the website to ask for the necessary permissions to wake a phone/keep running in the background?