UnicornMaiden

ANSWERED:Question about New Sprites

Please let me start by saying that I understand that the sprite change is a sensitive issue. I have heard about the old spriter's actions, and I understand why the change was necessary. I am not here to complain, and I hope I am not violating any rules by making this thread. I just want to ask a question.

I have a lineage that has the Holiday 2011 dragons in it. It was originally a spriter's alt lineage with two alt Holidays in the base. Now that the sprites have been changed those dragons that were alts look the same as all the other sprites. It's not an alt lineage any more.

Would it be possible for the dragons that were on the burned scroll to continue to have alt coloration so that people with saltkin lineages can still have what they bred or traded for? I'm guessing that the artist who did the new sprite will be able to have a spriter's alt of their own, so perhaps the existing dragons could share that?

Again, I'm not trying to start any debate or discussion about the sprites themselves. I just want to know if I can get my saltkin lineage back or if it's just a regular checker now. I understand if the thread needs to be closed. Thank you.

You are not alone with your concern about the loss of a SAlt in your collection.  There are many collectors who have now lost something special and wonder if those specific dragons could be returned to us in some way.  I have a feeling that they won't, though, and that the new version won't get an alt form either.

I do wish the coloration would have continued to show as an alt in lineages - I don't have any SAlts from this line myself but I know I'd be bummed if I spent resources trading for a pretty baby only for it to turn normal 😕  Sadly I agree with @WWECornSerpent, I doubt the SAlts are gonna return for these. 

Edited by Falorni

i think i saw this in "tiny little questions". an in-cave spriter who almost certainly knows all the behind the scenes stuff gave a simple "no" to the question of whether the new holiday 2011s will be getting an alt.

it's a disappointment for sure and a loss for the saltkin collecting community, but it seems the holiday 2011 (blizzard wizzards) will join soulstones as replacement event dragons without a spriters alt.

Edited by miaou
(i tyup gud :3)

It's a disappointment (I have some too, and a MASSIVE line with them in general - but given that the scroll is burned, they almost don't exist, so...There are others with no SA actually.

I guess the question is how the replacement was done. If the code for the original SA-sprite got overwritten with the new standard sprite, then it is probably not possible to figure out which of the sprites were the SAs and thus it's just not possible to rectify this, even if the new spriter would create an SA of their own.

(That is, if the SA was "xmas2011a" and the normal one was "xmas2011", then first replacing the former by "new-xmas2011" and then the latter also with the same identifier "new-xmas2011"  would just lose the information which was the SA and couldn't be undone - at least not easily.)

Edited by Astreya

Dragons have an ID, and the dragons in question are exactly 2 - there's no technical issue at all about this, just a question about will.

Actually in my case it would probably be the question "How can I do this as fast as possible", and I would most likely have done things just like I described and thus I would have overwritten the special ID with the normal one. I can be a bit trigger happy  like that. XD

And on a Linux/Unix system (which I assume TJ uses) you rarely have an "undo function" for things, so the stuff would have been gone. In that case the only way to figure out which id was which would be by digging out an older backup and running a tool that shows the differences, and then editing everything according to that in a live system could be a nightmare as you can't just overwrite the current database with the old backup without losing everything people would have done until then. So no, it looks like way too much hassle for me, if things would have gone like I imagine it.

One of my few 2G SAlt lines. :( Makes me a bit sad, but what will be will be. I shall hope for a replacement, but not expect one.

The spriter alts for the holiday 2011 won’t be returning - those lineages are regular checkers now. 

I’ll be locking this now.