TJ09

DC Lore AMA

🌎🌍🌏🌎🌍🌏🌎🌍🌏🌎🌍

Here's a different question.  If Galsreim actually existed here on Earth🌎, where on the globe would it be best situated.  Remember, all the biomes would have to "fit" in the right places.  (ie. The Alpine biome would have to be near either the top part of the Northern Hemisphere or the bottom part of the Southern Hemisphere, etc.) 🌎🌍🌏🌎🌍

23 hours ago, jerzeeshadow said:

🌎🌍🌏🌎🌍🌏🌎🌍🌏🌎🌍

Here's a different question.  If Galsreim actually existed here on Earth🌎, where on the globe would it be best situated.  Remember, all the biomes would have to "fit" in the right places.  (ie. The Alpine biome would have to be near either the top part of the Northern Hemisphere or the bottom part of the Southern Hemisphere, etc.) 🌎🌍🌏🌎🌍

Β 

So it'd be somewhere nearish North America, trending towards the south side. The continent to the north is very much more winter-y, and the continents to the south are where you start seeing jungles.

Β 

That said, the biomes are already poorly placed. The big desert in the northwest of Galsreim probably shouldn't/couldn't exist.Β  Pretty sure it couldn't be a rain shadow desert due to wind patterns, and it's pretty far north. Similarly, there's a string of volcanic islands in the east don't make a lot of sense either.

Β 

Oh well.

@TJ09Β I think I can say this for everyone. Β The world of Galsreim (and everyone in it)Β isΒ perfectly beautifulΒ no matter where the biomes are situated.β€οΈπŸ’›πŸ’œπŸ’™πŸ’šβ€οΈπŸ’šπŸ’œπŸ’™πŸ’›πŸ’›πŸ’œπŸ’šπŸ’™β€οΈπŸ’œπŸ’™πŸ’šβ€οΈπŸ’™πŸ’œπŸ’šπŸ’›β€οΈπŸ’™πŸ’œπŸ’šπŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’œπŸ’›πŸ’šβ€οΈπŸ’™

20 hours ago, CursedFlames said:

What do Guardians of Nature taste like

Β 

Humans would 100% not know this, because in-world there's like only one and it's not dead.

Β 

Dragon meat in general would probably be rather tough, lean, and dry? Apparently reptile meat IRL carries with it a lot of risks of bacterial infection, which sounds like it would give humans a bad time.

I have a question about the Baikala. If a Baikala, for example, gets one head chopped off, would the Baikala survive or will it die? I saw in the Splits Encyclopedia that if one head dies, the other will die as well, is it the case with Baikalas and other two-headed dragons?Β 

Β 

On 1/13/2018 at 2:30 PM, Felinor said:

I have a question about the Baikala. If a Baikala, for example, gets one head chopped off, would the Baikala survive or will it die? I saw in the Splits Encyclopedia that if one head dies, the other will die as well, is it the case with Baikalas and other two-headed dragons?

I think the official stance I've taken in the past is that all of the two-headed breeds have grown to be biologically reliant on having two heads. There are a lot of internal processes that are controlled without conscious thought (e.g. the digestive tract). Two-headed dragons would've had to evolved some sort of mechanism for preventing conflicting signals, either by dividing the work, taking turns, or whatever. However that works out, chances are it requires both heads to function properly.

Β 

That's not even to speak to how one would somehow chop one head off without fatal blood loss.

Now I'm imagining a Baikala (or any two-headed dragon for that matter) staring at its missing head - its friend, self, twin - and bleeding out in agony without its other head there to comfort it in death. Happy times!

Β 

How would wrong biomed eggs (Seasonal in Coast, Blacktip in Volcano, etc) in the world, lore wise? Could it be an egg that a parent lost on accident while traveling? I've been curious ever since I heard about eggs appearing in wrong biomes, haha!

5 minutes ago, Dorchet said:

Now I'm imagining a Baikala (or any two-headed dragon for that matter) staring at its missing head - its friend, self, twin - and bleeding out in agony without its other head there to comfort it in death. Happy times!

There are many ways to describe watching yourself die; "happy" is probably not one of the adjectives I'd use, personally.

Β 

5 minutes ago, Dorchet said:

How would wrong biomed eggs (Seasonal in Coast, Blacktip in Volcano, etc) in the world, lore wise? Could it be an egg that a parent lost on accident while traveling? I've been curious ever since I heard about eggs appearing in wrong biomes, haha!

Biomes aren't hard boundaries, geographically, and something that lives in a forest could easily wander into the neighboring coast. That said, just as it doesn't occur normally on the site, in many cases it's probably not a natural phenomenon either. Eggs aren't super capable of stopping themselves from being relocated.

Since there's no mention of telepathy in the new species descriptions, is communication via telepathy still common among dragons? I assume now that it's not universal.

On 2/2/2018 at 1:31 PM, Dirtytabs said:

Since there's no mention of telepathy in the new species descriptions, is communication via telepathy still common among dragons? I assume now that it's not universal.

I would say the state of things hasn't changed; it didn't make it into the text that shows on every dragon because it felt like a weird detail to include there.

Never crossed my mind before what would happen if a two-headed dragon loses one of its heads...

Β 

But I suppose it'd be interesting to use that situation in a dragon description, despite the actual sprite shows both heads,Β and see if it gets approved...

Β 

Maybe someone else already asked this before but will we have some general statistics/records for Valkemare? Like tallest mountain, highest and lowest temperature, most populated town... that kind of stuff?

6 hours ago, Kegluneq said:

Never crossed my mind before what would happen if a two-headed dragon loses one of its heads...

Β 

But I suppose it'd be interesting to use that situation in a dragon description, despite the actual sprite shows both heads,Β and see if it gets approved...

Directly contradicting the sprite probably won't go over well.

Β 

6 hours ago, Kegluneq said:

Maybe someone else already asked this before but will we have some general statistics/records for Valkemare? Like tallest mountain, highest and lowest temperature, most populated town... that kind of stuff?

This hasn't really been asked before, but feel free to keep at it. Some of it hasn't been fleshed out and/or properly named. Parts of the map are still pretty likely to change (mostly just biome distribution). But I find this an interesting request anyways, so...

Β 

I'm only answering for Galsreim, since that's all that's really been developed.

Β 

Tallest mountain: Galsreim has 3 tall peaks: Mt. Aetafor, Mt. Enadrage, and Mt. Orteid. I believe Enadrage is in the middle, with Aetafor to the north/east and Orteid to the south/west (all are in that big range that cuts right through Galsreim). Enadrage is thus probably the tallest, but that hasn't been decided.

Temperature: That's going to vary based on the possible biome moves mentioned above. Hottest very well might not be the desert (it's definitely the driest, but not necessarily the hottest), though coldest is probably one of the mountain peaks.

Most populated town: A town named Munio. There's another town named Aerilon that's pretty big, and I thought they'd be close in size, but my notes have Munio as the "undisputed largest city in Galsreim (possibly in all of Valkemare)" so I guess not.

On 2/8/2018 at 4:56 PM, TJ09 said:

I'm only answering for Galsreim, since that's all that's really been developed.

Β 

Tallest mountain: Galsreim has 3 tall peaks: Mt. Aetafor, Mt. Enadrage, and Mt. Orteid. I believe Enadrage is in the middle, with Aetafor to the north/east and Orteid to the south/west (all are in that big range that cuts right through Galsreim). Enadrage is thus probably the tallest, but that hasn't been decided.

Temperature: That's going to vary based on the possible biome moves mentioned above. Hottest very well might not be the desert (it's definitely the driest, but not necessarily the hottest), though coldest is probably one of the mountain peaks.

Most populated town: A town named Munio. There's another town named Aerilon that's pretty big, and I thought they'd be close in size, but my notes have Munio as the "undisputed largest city in Galsreim (possibly in all of Valkemare)" so I guess not.

Location names and more lore! Nice.

Β 

γ€€How good is an averageΒ dragon's healing ability? Do they have inherent magical or biological abilities that heals their own wounds(I'm guessing healing other's wounds would need specific healing magic) much more quicklyΒ than humans, possibly within minutes or hours, or can we expect the healing speed of normal real-life animals?

On 2/13/2018 at 1:36 AM, SkyWolf25 said:

How good is an averageΒ dragon's healing ability? Do they have inherent magical or biological abilities that heals their own wounds(I'm guessing healing other's wounds would need specific healing magic) much more quicklyΒ than humans, possibly within minutes or hours, or can we expect the healing speed of normal real-life animals?

"Inherent magical healing" is actually a different question than "healing ability," I think, since what you describe for self-healing would be passive/innate magic rather than active magic.

Β 

The average dragon probably has only a cursory knowledge of healing magic (in the same way that most people probably have--at best--cursory knowledge of impressionist art). But, given their natural affinity with magic, innate healing is much more likely--especially for dragons associated with creation- or life-based elements. I have a harder time imagining a dark-aligned dragon using its destructive energies for healingΒ (unless it's through some deus ex machina like pure spite or something)Β thoughΒ a destruction alignment doesn't prevent one from using healing magic.

Reptiles in general heal more slowly than mammals due to slower metabolisms (dragons probably do inherit those metabolic properties from their lizard-y relatives), so innate magical healing probably mostly offsets that, andΒ maybe allows them to heal a little faster thanΒ humans.

Β 

Generally, being covered in protective plating helps prevent the need for healing in the first place anyways.

On 2/7/2018 at 11:56 PM, TJ09 said:

[...]

EE-tuh-for, EN-a-DRAW-geh, OR-tide, MU-nee-oh, EE-rih-lun?

Or pretending I know how to use IPA: ˈitΙ™ΛŒfɔːrΒ ΛŒΙ›neΙͺˈdrΙ’gΙ™Β ΛˆΙ”ΛrtaΙͺd ˈmyuniˌoʊ ˈirΙͺˌlʌn?

Long e for "Ae" based on "Aeon", but they're otherwise wild guesses.

3 hours ago, Dirtytabs said:

EE-tuh-for, EN-a-DRAW-geh, OR-tide, MU-nee-oh, EE-rih-lun?

Or pretending I know how to use IPA: ˈitΙ™ΛŒfɔːrΒ ΛŒΙ›neΙͺˈdrΙ’gΙ™Β ΛˆΙ”ΛrtaΙͺd ˈmyuniˌoʊ ˈirΙͺˌlʌn?

Long e for "Ae" based on "Aeon", but they're otherwise wild guesses.

IPA is silly.

Β 

AY-tuh-for

En-uh-DRAH-gay (I had it written as "In-ah-drah-gay," but what I wrote there better matches how I've been reading it).

OR-tee-id or Or-TAY-id. Neither of those sound right, and I can't find any actual reference I wrote for myself.

Myoo-nee-oh (Moo-nee-oh is more correct for the origin, but I've been saying it differently for years, so...)

AIR-ih-lon.

Β 

Ae ends up being long a in both, actually. Β―\_(ツ)_/Β―

I've always pronounced Aeon in my head with a long a sound. Is that wrong? I have a feeling that I've been pronouncing most of these dragon names wrong.

Just now, Peachycupcake525 said:

I've always pronounced Aeon in my head with a long a sound. Is that wrong? I have a feeling that I've been pronouncing most of these dragon names wrong.

For the dragon name, I do too.

Β 

It's technically the another form of the word "eon" though (with the same pronunciation), and meant to be pronounced with an "ee as in fleece" sound.

4 hours ago, TJ09 said:

IPA is silly.

Β 

AY-tuh-for

En-uh-DRAH-gay (I had it written as "In-ah-drah-gay," but what I wrote there better matches how I've been reading it).

OR-tee-id or Or-TAY-id. Neither of those sound right, and I can't find any actual reference I wrote for myself.

Myoo-nee-oh (Moo-nee-oh is more correct for the origin, but I've been saying it differently for years, so...)

AIR-ih-lon.

Β 

Ae ends up being long a in both, actually. Β―\_(ツ)_/Β―

It is silly indeed; they're supposed to help you know how to pronounce things correctly, but most people can't read IPA itself properly. Helpful to linguists, maybe, but...(shrugs)Β also I will always pronounce 'Aeon' incorrectly with a long 'a'

Β 

How's the climate like in Munio and Aerilon? I would sayΒ moderate temperature best suited for human population is most likely, but you never know. Humans are so adaptable.Β :rolleyes:

20 hours ago, SkyWolf25 said:

How's the climate like in Munio and Aerilon? I would sayΒ moderate temperature best suited for human population is most likely, but you never know. Humans are so adaptable.Β :rolleyes:

Aerilon is on the coast, and at a latitude that's probably pretty temperate.

Β 

Munio is further north than that (not super far north), though I think the wind currents come from the south and would moderate it a little bit. It probably sees stronger winters (and also probably hotter summers) than Aerilon.

So, site mechanics aside (because clearly every species requires an egg on the site), are there any dragons that technically bear live young?Β  Maybe ones that we just haven't discovered, yet?

14 hours ago, blockEdragon said:

Are Avatars and the GoN bipedal or quadrupedal?

I would say primarily quadrupedal; most dragons are, though their hind legs are typically stronger and capable of supporting them for at least part of the time.

Β 

12 hours ago, Kelkelen said:

So, site mechanics aside (because clearly every species requires an egg on the site), are there any dragons that technically bear live young?Β  Maybe ones that we just haven't discovered, yet?

Giving birth to live young is primarily a mammalian trait, while dragons are much more on the reptilian side of things. There's like one species of lizard that doesn't lay eggs, but it's definitely not the norm.

7 minutes ago, TJ09 said:

Giving birth to live young is primarily a mammalian trait, while dragons are much more on the reptilian side of things. There's like one species of lizard that doesn't lay eggs, but it's definitely not the norm.

Soooo... is that a "no," or a "very rarely"?Β  :-p
(I know it's super uncommon IRL, just a handful of snakes and the Jackson's chameleon, and maybe skinks? but since there are a few...)