GhostMouse

DC Photography Contest #184

Vote for your favorite!  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who has the best picture of plastic?

• Ruby Eyes's Plastic Wrapped Coconut
    • sh20000sh's Silver in Plastic Case
    • Lagie's Legos
    • Confused Cat's Barbie
    • Fly-by-Night's Plastic Wrapped Carrots

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/27/2021 at 03:59 AM

Welcome to the Photography Contest!

Welcome back for another round of the DC Photography contest, come and show us what you've got! 

This time, the theme is: Plastic

Submission deadline: April 18

Voting deadline: April 26

Rules:

- One entry per person.

-A photograph is defined as an image made using a camera or phone camera

-Screenshots are not allowed

- Picture has to be made by yourself and can't be just a reproduction of someone's work. If someone else's work is in the picture, there needs to be something extra.

- No manipulation besides basic photo adjustments (contrast, exposure, cropping, color balance, lighting, etc.).

- No text or framing in the photo. A signature/watermark is just fine, but it's preferable if you don't have "O Hai Eye Hav3 T3XT" (or something similar) present in the photo.

- When voting, please don't select your own image. This will ensure fairness.

- You are free to submit an old photo; you don't need to take a new one just for this competition.

- Winner hosts the next contest.

Previous themes:

1: Beginning anew / 2: Simplicity / 3: Summer / 4: Wildlife / 5: Black & White / 6: Food / 7: Macro / 8: Farewell / 9: Light and Shadow / 10: Urban

11: In the home / 12: Travel Photography / 13: Pets / 14: Red / 15: Coupled Animals / 16: Clouds / 17: Green / 18: Water / 19: Scenic views / 20: Invertebrates

21: Sunrise/Sunset / 22: Purple / 23: Out of Context / 24: Snow / 25: Flowers / 26: Mountains / 27: Old / 28: Birds / 29: Inanimate Objects / 30: New Life

31: Play / 32: Road / 33: Leaves / 34: People / 35. Books / 36. Statues / 37. Nighttime / 38. Candy / 39: Fruits / 40: Reflection

41: Transportation / 42: Trees / 43: Happiness / 44: Communication / 45: Youth / 46: Colors / 47: New Year / 48: Music / 49: Contrast / 50: Pink

51: Spring / 52: The first letter of your username / 53: Party! / 54. White / 55. Weather / 56: Buildings / 57: Union / 58: Doors, gates and windows / 59: Texture / 60: Pairs

61: Your Favorite / 62: Mushrooms / 63: Happy holidays / 64: Treasure / 65: Bells / 66: Warmth / 67: Blue / 68: Center / 69: Zoo / 70: Memories

71: Chitin / 72: Garden / 73: Silhouette / 74: Darkness / 75: W / 76: Small / 77: Silly / 78: Toys / 79: Three / 80: Autumn

81: Yellow / 82: Macro / 83. Horizon / 84. Winter/Christmas / 85: Skies / 86: Baked Goods / 87: Your Home town / 88: Abandoned places / 89: F / 90: Fears

91: Adventure / 92: Detail / 93: Illumination / 94: Color Orange / 95: Black and white / 96: Abstract / 97: Unnoticed / 98: Fire / 99: History / 100: Bridges

101: Wild animal close ups / 102: Street Lights / 103: Hobby / 104: Three / 105: Eyes / 106: Unappreciated / 107: Desk / 108: Opposites / 109: Mechanical Parts / 110: Monuments

111: The bond / 112: Action / 113: Up / 114: Spooky / 115: Self / 116: Extreme Weather / 117: Patterns / 118: Down / 119: Ground / 120: Brown

121: Softness / 122: C / 123: Summer / 124: Flowers / 125: Gathering / 126. Living Room / 127. v1 Crystal/Gemstone / 127. v2 Nostalgia / 128: Mammals / 129: Sea and Lake / 130: Birthday Cake

131: Aquatic Creatures / 132: Sunshine and Summertime / 133: Close-up Photography / 134: Rainbows / 135: Circles / 136: Coffee / 137: Storm / 138: Halloween / 139: Something You See in Everyday Things / 140: Celebrate!

141: Signs of Affection / 142: Most recent photo / 143: Easter / 144: Pastels / 145: Wings / 146: Hope / 147: Text / 148: Home / 149: Winter / 150: Vacation

151: Insects / 152: Botanical / 153: Carvings / 154: Crafting / 155: Glass / 156: Coniferous / 157: Wind / 158: Classic / 159: Games / 160: Procrastination

161: In Motion / 162: Music / 163: Empty / 164: Still Life / 165: Night / 166: Liquids / 167: Historical/Heritage Sites / 168. Ice / 169. Sentimental / 170. Resolutions

171. Aftermath / 172. Isolation / 173. Pets / 174. Caring / 175. Hobbies / 176. Comfort / 177. Sports / 178. Handwriting / 179. Knots / 180. Traditions

181. Masks / 182. Danger / 183. Vegetables / 184. Plastic

The entries:

Ruby Eyes's Plastic Wrapped Coconut

sh20000sh's Silver in Plastic Case

Lagie's Legos

Confused Cat's Barbie

Fly-by-Night's Plastic Wrapped Carrots

Edited by GhostMouse

I got a double face-palm for this one in my archives. Once, a coconut comes with its OWN packaging, why would you wrap it in plastic?!

And second, for anyone with German language skills: This is NOT how you split up "long" words. At all.

Spoiler

plasticcoconut-trennunmkp2.jpg

Just now, Ruby Eyes said:

I got a double face-palm for this one in my archives. Once, a coconut comes with its OWN packaging, why would you wrap it in plastic?!

And second, for anyone with German language skills: This is NOT how you split up "long" words. At all.

Hide contents

plasticcoconut-trennunmkp2.jpg

XD Oh my goodness. You definitely do not need to plastic wrap a coconut! :P

schmeckt isn't one of those words you split at all, is it?

As for tasting best cold - I prefer my coconuts at room temperature, milk and flesh.

Indeed, you don't split up one-syllable words XD

(I think without that dash it would even fit perfectly into that circle, closer to the center)

5 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

(I think without that dash it would even fit perfectly into that circle, closer to the center)

It looks like the whole word would fit on the "KT" line... which would leave nice, even blank spaces at the top and bottom of the circle. Who would choose to do it that way?? (And of all the produce to wrap in plastic...)

Damn why did I not see this before I went and did the plastic recycling - the skip for it is quite impressive, and I had LOADS as the weather has been so nasty we couldn't be bothered to go for a while !

That's a VERY pale coconut...

13 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

They shaved it XD

Hence the need for plastic wrap?

I have never seen a shaved coconut before.

2 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

They shaved it XD

Oh the poor thing. That's CRUEL ! But that had to be just down to the wooden shell, surely - there's a pic of someone tapping for the milk...

My entry in this time will it - I'll change if necessary.

A silver in plastic case. Ignore the word 'gold' on top of it.

Spoiler

39618.jpg

5 hours ago, purplehaze said:

Hence the need for plastic wrap?

I have never seen a shaved coconut before.

Well, they use coconut fiber mats to line hanging wire planters? 

2 minutes ago, sh20000sh said:

My entry in this time will it - I'll change if necessary.

A silver in plastic case. Ignore the word 'gold' on top of it.

Hide contents

39618.jpg

Ah, so that's what happened to the unused VCR tape cases.

Edited by Long_Before_Sunrise

One day you'll have to do a "drone flight" across your Lego landscapes, @Lagie - I wanna see all the details! :D

13 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

One day you'll have to do a "drone flight" across your Lego landscapes, @Lagie - I wanna see all the details! :D

I'll try! XD

BTW, this is outside my home:

Screenshot_20210331-172439.thumb.jpg.477ccbf480018bb2e9221c4b6ee3037b.jpg

This is in the food store nearest my home:

Screenshot_20210331-172424.thumb.jpg.0baa6037ba22cca44e4505d9406e5fb1.jpg

Not only wrapped in plastic, imported from Thailand! When they grow wild here. :rolleyes: How ridiculous can you get?!?

(These are not photo contest entries!)

Is that netting like styrofoam?

Splash a little gasoline on it and see if turns into gel.

There's more plastic around that coconut than there is in a plastic grocery sack. And that doesn't include whatever it was shipped to the store in.

Just passing the responsibility for pollution off on the customers.

Edited by Long_Before_Sunrise

My entry:

Spoiler

photocontest184.thumb.jpg.ec3c747e0a69fef52a5d0c9386d0eeb4.jpg

Um yes, sometimes I buy Barbie dolls. Don't judge me!  XD  Or do judge me, I guess. Anyway, this is the first one I found that has both a non-standard (i.e. slightly less skinny) body and more than the standard number of movable joints, so I "had to" buy her. (Usually they only get to have one non-standard feature, and I've been hoping for this sort of combination for years.)

But I seriously hate the unpacking! If there's a trick to it, I haven't found it, and I'm kind of surprised I managed to get her out without cutting myself on a piece of plastic.

Huh. I got stuck in a youtube cookie request loop, no matter what option I select.

7 hours ago, Confused Cat said:

My entry:

Um yes, sometimes I buy Barbie dolls. Don't judge me!  XD 

I like that photo.

I remember seeing a photo of someone commenting on plastic waste who ordered some very small dolls (like Polly Pocket size) with accessories and took a photo of all the packaging that everything was wrapped in when it arrived. A ridiculous amount of packaging to be thrown away. 

3 hours ago, Lagie said:

Watch out! Lagie trying to spread earworms! I knew what that was without looking. Even Marvel drew Deadpool quietlysinging that to himself.

Hmmm...more than once. The one I remember had him taking aim as a sniper, admitting it was a 'fruity' song, but catchy.

You think a coconut wrapped in plastic is the height of depravity and, well, sheer idiocy?

I raise you... THIS.

Yes, these are carrots. Super-common and not hard to keep fresh. Wrapped individually 😳 in plastic in a Dutch supermarket, where I spotted them on holiday last year.

Spoiler

Ernsthaft.jpg

Edited by Fly-by-Night

38 minutes ago, Fly-by-Night said:

You think a coconut wrapped in plastic is the height of depravity and, well, sheer idiocy?

I raise you... THIS.

Yes, these are carrots. Super-common and not hard to keep fresh. Wrapped individually 😳 in plastic in a Dutch supermarket, where I spotted them on holiday last year.

Hide contents

Ernsthaft.jpg

That's on par with the individually wrapped prunes that are sold here. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Fly-by-Night said:

Doesn't that actually make them prone to going bad faster or sprouting roots?

1 hour ago, Lagie said:

on par with the individually wrapped prunes that are sold here

WTH? *thinks* I like prunes. They are sticky and like to stick together, but still... no, don't do that.

35 minutes ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

Doesn't that actually make them prone to going bad faster or sprouting roots?

I don't know. Looks like vacuum packing, which might be different from just wrapping them in plastic? But I really couldn't say.

2 hours ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

WTH? *thinks* I like prunes. They are sticky and like to stick together, but still... no, don't do that.

But... they do.

(Not a contest entry:)

71XLpkISk7L._SL1500_.jpg