CasperCreates

Terminology?

Hello,

When looking through the trades tab, I'm seeing a lot of terminology I don't understand. Things like "messy lineages", "2g/3g", "Special alphabet code", "properly gendered", "bloodswap", and more. There are so many terms like this and they aren't anywhere on the site besides what people type in trades. Can someone give me a run-down/lesson on trading terms? What's wrong with "messy lineage" dragons and why don't people like them?

Here:

Nothing is wrong with messy lineages, it's just that some people prefer patterned lineages and others don't.

Properly gendered means, the little one should have a gender that allows continueing the lineage with the same pattern (often a checker or stair).

Edited by Ruby Eyes

Lots of terminology explained in the terminology thread over in the Breeding subforum

These almost all regard lineages. Click "lineage" to see a creature's lineage/family tree/pedigree

G/g is generations. 2g means the lineage has just the dragon and a pair of parents for example https://dragcave.net/lineage/Tspbp

Properly gendered usually means the dragon is the same gender as the parent of the same breed. See the link above

Bloodswap means the user wants something with the same lineage as the subject being traded

A lot of people don't like messy lineages because they follow no pattern. It's all down to personal preference.

Edited by Dirtytabs

Okay. First, generation. Those dragons that are straight from either the biomes, the cave or the market don't have any known parents. They're called CB (=caveborn). 

Everything else is counted by generation - in most cases, you can easily determine the generation by using the lineage page. There're numbers on top of the lineage, telling you which generation your egg is. (There are some instances where lineage view is faulty, so it's worth checking things out.) Since we can only use very limited messages for trades, second generation or 2nd gen is often abbreviated as "2g", third generation as "3g" and so on.

Quite a few lineages need their offspring to have a certain gender so you can continue the lineage. "Properly gendered" is supposed to indicate that the hatchling you get has the "correct" gender to continue the line.

A person asking for a bloodswap wants an egg/hatchling just like the one they're offering - same breed, same generation, same lineage - but *not* related to their own egg.

"Messy lineage" is a blanket term for pretty much every kind of lineage that doesn't follow a pattern.

Typical lineage patterns are:

Other things that might be relevant:

• SA (=Spriter's Alt), also SAkin (=offspring of Spriter's Alt) Like here: https://dragcave.net/lineage/IAqGu You'll notice that one of the Shadow Walkers has a different color than normal ones.
  • Prizekin/Prizefail: Offspring of either Shimmerscale or Tinsel dragons - most of the time, people are trading only for 2nd gens of those.
  • Thuwed: A dragon descended from dragons belonging to the site owner, TJ09. Like here: https://dragcave.net/lineage/buaWO Of course, everybody can name their dragons "Thuwed", but if you click on one of the CB Thuweds in this line, you'll see it labelled as a "Verified Thuwed". There used to be a lot of other community lineages, but most of them seem to be out of fashion. (Dorkface, Dusk... 
Edited by olympe

27 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Here:

Sadly the top few posts of that thread, the alphabetical list of terms, have not been updated for YEARS!

People may have posted newer terminology somewhere in the thread, but finding specific terms is very difficult.

I suspect if a mod were contacted about it, with specific additions to be made, they might help with that?

2 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

I suspect if a mod were contacted about it, with specific additions to be made, they might help with that?

I started going through this list, and I think what it needs the most is some subtractions. Not additions. Like AP blocking - really?