UnicornMaiden

Zombie Tower Defense Game Suggestions

First off, let me say that I LOVED the game we had for Halloween this year. It was a lot of fun to play, and I really like games that allow creative thinking and strategy in trying to devise the best defense. It was also easy to spend as much or as little time as I wanted depending on when I was available. Overall it was a great addition to the holiday celebration.

However, there are a few changes that I think could be made to improve it if it should be brought back for a future Halloween, and I just wanted to throw these out there.

Let us see a tower's stats

If, for example, I have a line of Red Dragon towers the game might give me a list of updates saying, "1 damage to Red Dragon" "Red Dragon is resting" "Red Dragon breathes fire" "Red Dragon gains 1 HP" all in one round. It can be difficult to know which of these updates is about which tower. It would be really helpful if we could click on a tower and see its HP, whether it is ready to attack, currently attacking, or on cooldown, and (if on cooldown) how much time it needs before it will be ready to attack again.

Show which tiles a tower affects

Some of the tower descriptions were very specific, such as saying that the tower affected every adjacent tile or two tiles directly in front. Some descriptions were more vague, such as referring to "nearby" tiles. I was also uncertain about the Magma Dragon tower which dealt damage in a 2x3 rectangle without saying how that rectangle was oriented in relation to the tower. It would be nice if, when placing a tower, the affected tiles were highlighted so we could see exactly what each tower's coverage is.

A bigger board and higher capacity cap

Pretty self-explanatory. I like playing around with different tower arrangements, but the space to work in was only 7x4 tiles, and we capped out at 35 capacity for placing towers. I would have liked to have more space to work in and more towers to play with.

Save personal best information

This wouldn't affect the gameplay at all, but it would be a nice thing to have. Maybe the game could save how many rounds we were able to beat and which board setup was used. Then after the holiday we could click on the badge and see "This board beat ___ rounds of zombies" or something like that. I wouldn't want it to save all the boards, since some of us were changing setups a lot. Just the one that was our personal best record.

Again, I really loved the game, and I hope it is brought back for a future Halloween.

This feels like more of a suggestion for TJ to make an actual game of the Tower Defense thing we had, since the event is already over. If it gets used again, then I could see the suggestions being taken into account, but the suggestion itself is moot just because of that. Sure, some of these things would have been nice, but this is more asking for a new game to have TJ make than a general improvement to the site or it's features.

Yes. There's no reason at all that it would return another year. The only event that has ever sort of returned has been snowa, and that one has changed every time - and the ongoing one doesn't have any of these save scores etc features.. TJ has never been in the business of making games for us to play outside of holidays.

Not MAKING. Those stand exactly as they were played during the event. (And I wish he'd  bring back the fort, too !)Several people - including me - have asked for the towers to be playable again - but have NOT asked TJ to make quite significant changes to it - something he has not done before.

If Towers were to be re-implemented, I would definitely support including these suggestions. I think they'd all be great improvements. But that's only IF it's to be re-implemented, which it very well might not be.

The suggestions you're making are decent suggestions. We may not have a tower defense game exactly like that again, but the ideas behind what you're suggesting are some things that can be considered for next time.

So, since the game DID make a return, and bringing back previous holiday activities seems to be getting more usual, I'm just gonna give this a little bump.

Definite support! It seems like a good idea in general to tweak old games a bit if they appear later, the first time around everyone is just getting a feel for it and developers (TJ...) don't know ahead of time what users will think about different aspects of the game. Bringing back old games is GREAT but it would be even better if they got little updates to help the play a bit (I'm rooting *hard* for a way to tell which tiles will be affected when placing a dragon-tower!!)