Blackberrythefox

ANSWERED:how do i make a fansite?

How do i make a fansite?

here is a bit of info about my idea:

• has a home page
  • has a page for all the dragons and eggs
  • has a search bar

Webpages are stored on webspace. If you haven't done much with regards to coding yet, I'd suggest googling for some free webspace to try out your coding skills first, otherwise you could end up paying plenty of money for something you won't ever need.

If you hoped to get a fully coded fansite just served to you, you'll be disappointed - it's not that easy. You've already been to the "Coding a Hatchery" thread, which contains plenty of links to additional information. Do some reading and ask there if you need additional help.

I don't know a ton about coding, but the first step is... Learn coding. That's always going to be the first step. You need to know basic coding before you even begin to worry about how to 'do the hatchery part'. It seems like you may be under the impression that there is some easy 'hatchery' template or something that you can simply tweak to make your own... That's not how it works. First you have to learn the basics of how a webpage is made. I see multiple beginner-type links in the 'coding a hatchery' thread.

After you learn how to code (PHP will be important), you could try messaging people that have created DC hatcheries. You can't expect them to walk you through the process step-by-step or do the work for you, but they would most likely have at least a few tips to offer. I believe you also need access to the API from TJ to actually run the hatchery, but that could be outdated information. I also know next to nothing about coding.

Basically, learn how to code. Read all of the posts and links in the Coding a Hatchery thread. Get an idea of what you want to create and play around with it. Get a basic site running. Then ask for help if you're still having trouble. This is unfortunately the kind of thing that you have to teach yourself how to do.

And one more thing. If you want your hatchery to stand out, you'll need to give it some sort of special feature. Like EATW's old market or AoND's Neglected tools. Something that other sites don't have. Otherwise people will continue to use the their go-to hatcheries and you won't receive much traffic. What would the purpose of the search bar you mentioned be?

Edited by The Dragoness

Yeah, you're going to need some level of programming knowledge to set up your own fan site or hatchery, or you'd need to collaborate with someone who does.

Before that, though, I'd recommend asking yourself some things. Why do you want to make your own fan site? What features do you want that another site can't offer?

Check out some of the existing sites and see what you like (or don't like) about their setups. It may be that there are sites already in existence that can suit your needs. :)