Little-Star

250 Book Challenge 2019 - 2020

On 6/4/2020 at 8:27 AM, catstaff said:

Oh, I know textbooks have never counted for the challenge. However, the OP didn't look at nonfiction books and judge whether or not they should count as textbooks either. As nearly as I can tell, the OP went with "read for class or training purposes" as their criteria for what did or didn't constitute a textbook and so long as no one was trying to count something like Biotechnology Foundations - 2nd Edition as a read, they left it as the readers' choice. Here's a few I read for the 2013-14 challenge:

They're all instructional, but the OP didn't disqualify them as being textbooks.

I can recall the OP saying certain books didn't count, yes, but for reasons other than "I think this ought to count as a textbook." I saw a book disqualified because the poster signed up and posted their first read on 31 July when the challenge starts 1 August. I saw two books disqualified because they weren't 100 pages. And I saw a fanfiction disqualified because the reader had interpreted "original online fiction" as including fanfic, whereas the OP use of the word "original" meant it to be only non-derivative works. (Pity, really, some of my favorite fanfics are well over 100K words and I'd love to be able to count them.) That was when the explicitly stated "not fanfiction" got added into the rules.

I guess I went a bit too strict this time and should change that 😰

On 6/7/2020 at 10:55 AM, Little-Star said:

I guess I went a bit too strict this time and should change that 😰

I don't know if it's necessarily that you went too strict; I think it's more that old challenge veterans like myself saw the rules (apparently) copied and pasted from previous challenges, so it didn't occur to us to check that your idea of textbooks might have been different from the OP who started the challenge. I did find this exchange, back in the 2012-2013 challenge thread:

Out of interest, when you say that "The only books that do not count are textbooks", where do you draw the line of 'textbook'? Is it any non-fiction text, or just 'school' textbooks? For example, were I to read The Mythical Man-Month, "a book on software engineering and project management"*, would it count or not?

*(not exactly the most riveting theme, I know, but it's considered a fairly seminal work about software engineering)

@Zaxian: The example you put doesn't sound like a textbook to me, although the only thing I know about the book is what wikipedia says. What I would consider textbooks are schoolbooks and college books like Guyton's Textbook of Medical Physiology.

(The question was at the bottom of page three of the thread, the answer somewhere on page five. Bolding is mine for emphasis.)

Even having those four books not count isn't really that big of a deal to me. Rather, it's the idea that it could be a big deal to someone else that bothered me. I'm not currently working and I don't plan to look for work until the 'rona gets a little more under control because I'm a retail worker and my husband is immunocompromised. I'm not so worried for myself, but I don't want to risk bringing it home to him, you know? And that means I have nothing to do all day, so I read. A lot. Well, you've seen my book numbers, I can easily read 600-800 pages a day if I stay off the computer and don't get sucked in by fanfiction. Reading an extra four books before the end of July won't be a problem.

But most people don't read as quickly as I do, and probably have jobs or kids at home so they don't have as much time as I do either, and I would hate to see one of them posting something like Big Yoga or Dancing Around the Fire and then being told that the books don't count because they're considered textbooks. That's why I asked for clarification, you know? To make sure everyone got on the same page, whatever that page ends up being.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Book Number: 226

Number Of Pages: 256

Book Title: The Best Little Girl in the World

Author: Steven Levenkron

Summary: Francesca is a bright student, an aspiring ballerina, what most people would consider a "good" girl. She is also slowly starving herself due to anorexia nervosa. Purely medical intervention might keep her alive, but it takes an unconventional psychologist to break through her shell and help her choose to live.

Book Number: 227

Number Of Pages: 159

Book Title: Searching for Shona

Author: Margaret J. Anderson

Summary: During WWII, wealthy Marjorie is being sent from Scotland to Canada for safety. At the train station, she sees her orphaned friend Shona, who is evacuating to the countryside with the other orphans. Terrified of traveling to a strange country, Marjorie impulsively suggests that she and Shona trade identities. Posing as Shona, Marjorie goes to the country with everything Shona owned, including a painting supposedly of her mother’s house. She unexpectedly finds the house of the painting, and as the war drags on, traces Shona’s ancestry. But the end of the war brings the question of which girl is which.

Book Number: 228

Number Of Pages: 495

Book Title: The Clan of the Cave Bear

Author: Jean M. Auel

Summary: Orphaned by an earthquake, Ayla was found and adopted by the Clan, despite being one of the Others. While she tried hard to fit in as she grew up, even learning to be a medicine woman, she never quite managed - and her differences caused trouble at times, especially with Broud, son of the leader, Brun. When Broud became leader, he used his new position to force Ayla out of the Clan to survive - or not - alone in the wilderness.

Book Number: 229

Number Of Pages: 544

Book Title: The Valley of Horses

Summary: Ayla spent three years living alone in a small valley, her only companions a horse and a cave lion cub. Jondalar and his brother chose to make a Journey, trying to reach the end of the Great Mother River or beyond. One day, while out hunting, Ayla heard a human scream and found two men being attacked by the cave lion she'd raised. Too late to save one, she got Jondalar away from the lion and healed his wounds. He taught her the ways of the Others, and they fell in love.

Book Number: 230

Number Of Pages: 723

Book Title: The Mammoth Hunters

Summary: Jondalar wanted to bring Ayla back to his people, but knew they couldn't leave until spring as the journey would take a year or more and winter was closing in. But he suggested to Ayla that they explore the territory near her valley, and they ran into a party of hunters from the tribe known as the Mamutoi. They were invited to spend the winter. Ayla attracted the attention of Ranec, a handsome carver. At the same time, Jondalar worried whether his people would accept her due to her Clan upbringing, causing her to think he no longer loved her.

Book Number: 231

Number Of Pages: 865

Book Title: The Plains of Passage

Summary: Ayla and Jondalar traveled from the Mamutoi territory where they had spent the winter, across half the continent to Jondalar's people, the Zelandonii. They met several tribes, some friendly and some hostile, and faced difficulties due to bad weather, but persevered to return to Jondalar's home.

Book Number: 232

Number Of Pages: 883

Book Title: The Shelters of Stone

Summary: Jondalar was happy to be home with the Zelandonii once more, but Ayla, raised by the Clan, had trouble fitting in. It didn't help that a particularly popular woman had wanted Jondalar for herself, and hated that he'd brought home a foreigner instead. But Ayla's skill at healing and her willingness to help out wherever she could eventually earned her acceptance.

(I swear, the more pages the Auel books have, the less story they contain! PoP has endless descriptions of the flora and fauna they saw in the course of their journey, and SoS has multiple recitations of the story of the couple's journey done in detail. There is a sixth book in the series, but it's better used as a doorstop. Pity that, the series started out really well, but definitely went downhill starting with the fourth book.)

Edited by catstaff

Book Number: 40

Number Of Pages: 461

Book Title: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Author: J.K. Rowlings

Summary: Harry returns at Hogwats for his 3rd year. This time under the threat of Sirius Black who escaped from Azkaba supposedly to kill him. 

On 6/7/2020 at 9:31 PM, catstaff said:

Even having those four books not count isn't really that big of a deal to me. Rather, it's the idea that it could be a big deal to someone else that bothered me. I'm not currently working and I don't plan to look for work until the 'rona gets a little more under control because I'm a retail worker and my husband is immunocompromised. I'm not so worried for myself, but I don't want to risk bringing it home to him, you know? And that means I have nothing to do all day, so I read. A lot. Well, you've seen my book numbers, I can easily read 600-800 pages a day if I stay off the computer and don't get sucked in by fanfiction. Reading an extra four books before the end of July won't be a problem.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

For what I saw, you are actually one of the only 2 people that manage to reach 250 books (more than once for you) in this challenge. Most people don't even reach 100 books (some does but not much higher than that)

Edited by Little-Star

2 hours ago, Little-Star said:

For what I saw, you are actually one of the only 2 people that manage to reach 250 books (more than once for you) in this challenge. Most people don't even reach 100 books (some does but not much higher than that)

*laughs* Yeah, you can tell which years I've been unemployed for whatever reason by whether or not I complete the 250 book challenge. We've moved a lot due to job changes and we've only got one car. If the local public transportation is limited or nonexistent, I end up staying home. Makes me miss Atlanta just a little bit, there was decent transport down there. Maybe not as good as NYC in terms of convenience, but at least it existed, unlike the three places I've lived since then.

Book Number: 26

Number Of Pages: 347

Book Title: Everything Trump Touches Dies: A Republican Strategist Gets Real About the Worst President Ever

Author: Rick Wilson

Summary: This caustic, witty, blistering critique of Trump, his administration, and the Republicans who support him comes from a senior Republican strategist who helped start the Never Trump movement, Rick Wilson. It's an informative read and breath of fresh air coming from someone from the political right, rather than the typical Trump critiques that come from the political left. 

Book Number: 233

Number Of Pages: 343

Book Title: The Serpent’s Shadow

Author: Mercedes Lackey

Summary: Born of a Brahmin mother to an English army officer father, Dr. Maya Witherspoon fled to England following her the deaths of her parents. An untutored Earth Elemental Mage, Maya was told that her magic was that of her father’s people, and she must find a teacher among them. Water Master Peter Scott offers to take on the role of tutor when the other Masters snub her for being female and mixed race. But an enemy has followed her from India, and Maya must master her own powers in time to defend herself.

Book Number: 234

Number Of Pages: 446

Book Title: The Gates of Sleep

Summary: Raised from birth by artist friends of her parents, Marina spent most of her life learning to control her Elemental Magic, always wondering why her parents, also Elemental Masters, didn’t raise and train her themselves. When her parents die shortly before her eighteenth birthday, her father’s estranged sister seizes guardianship of her. Arachne exudes an aura of evil unlike anything Marina encountered. She quickly realizes that Arachne may well be the reason her parents fostered her out, but can she free herself of Arachne’s curse before it takes full effect?

Book Number: 235

Number Of Pages: 468

Book Title: Phoenix and Ashes

Summary: Eleanor’s stepmother magically bound her to the house after her father's death in the Great War, turning her into a scullery-maid in an effort to steal her inheritance. Reggie Fenyx, the local lord, was an Air Master and ace pilot, until the day he faced a German Air Master in a dogfight. Broken in body and suffering shell-shock, he often retreated to the fringes of the property, where he met Eleanor, whose budding Fire Magic allowed her to occasionally slip her bonds. Can the two help each other rebuild their shattered lives from the ashes of war?

Book Number: 236

Number Of Pages: 377

Book Title: The Wizard of London

Summary: Sarah showed signs of psychic ability rather than magic, so her parents sent her to the Harton School in London, where Isabelle Harton trained youngsters with such gifts. Sarah proved to be a true medium, able to speak with the dead, and someone tried to kill her. Isabelle asked Lord Alderscroft, the leader of the Elemental Mages of London, for assistance  but in seeking his help, she learned that Lord Alderscroft was in as much danger as Sarah… but could she convince him that he needed help?

Book Number: 237

Number Of Pages: 372

Book Title: Reserved for the Cat

Summary: Ballerina Ninette rejoiced when circumstances gave her the lead role for one performance. But the reviews were too good, and she was fired to soothe the star’s wounded ego. Destitute and desperate, she thought she was going mad when a cat spoke in her mind with a plan: go to England, presenting herself as Russian ballerina Nina Tchereslavsky, and work in a music hall in Blackpool. With prostitution her other option, Ninette obeyed the cat, an Elemental Guardian from her late father. However, the real Nina had been possessed by an evil Elemental Spirit, which now wished to possess Ninette.

Book Number: 238

Number Of Pages: 374

Book Title: Unnatural Issue

Summary: 21-year-old Susanne had never seen her father, who'd become a recluse since her mother’s death in childbirth. Despite this neglect, she was well trained in her Earth Magic, trained by Puck himself. But her father first turned to the dark paths of his Earth Mastery, and then to necromancy in his desperation to bring back his late wife… and thought to use Susanne’s body as the vessel to house the spirit of her dead mother. Sent to France by friends to escape her father, Susanne finds herself in a different sort of danger as all of Europe descends into war.

Book Number: 239

Number Of Pages: 311

Book Title: Home from the Sea

Summary: Mari appreciated the luck her father always had fishing. Then he explained that luck: an old bargain with the seal-folk called the Selch. A family member married a Selch, who would return to the sea after two children were born, taking one and leaving the other… and now Mari must wed and continue the bargain. An untrained Water Mage, Mari bargains with the Selch chieftain for a choice of husband as well as training in magic.

Book Number: 240

Number Of Pages: 298

Book Title: Steadfast

Summary: Circus acrobat Kate married strong man Dick at the behest of the circus owner after her parents died in a fire. Dick proved abusive, so she fled, finding her way to Brighton and getting work as a stage magician’s assistant. The magician, Lionel, is an Elemental Mage, as is Jack, the crippled veteran who works as the doorman. They discover that Kate is also an Elemental Mage, attuned to Fire… and she doesn’t realize it. For her own safety, they train her in her abilities, just as Dick traces Kate to Brighton in order to reclaim her for his own.

Book Number: 241

Number Of Pages: 432

Book Title: Hellion

Author: Bertrice Small

Summary: Isabelle ruled over her manor of Langston after her father joined the Crusade. Unaware of her father’s death and Henry Beauclerc’s ascension to the throne, she failed to respond to King Henry’s call to pledge her fealty. Fearing Isabelle meant to declare for Normandy, Henry wed her to Hugh Fauconier, grandson of the last Saxon lord of Langston. Her half-brother captured Hugh, sending him to Vivienne d’Bretagne, supposedly descended from the wizard Merlin’s lover, in an attempt to steal Langston, leaving Belle vulnerable as she attempted to find her husband.

Book Number: 242

Number Of Pages: 378

Book Title: Darling Jasmine

Summary: King James ordered the widowed Lady Jasmine Lindley, mother of his illegitimate grandchild, to wed Jemmie Leslie, Duke of Glenkirk. Unwilling to wed a man she believes dislikes her, she fled to France. Jemmie found her there and they reconciled. When they returned to court to make amends, King James offered Jasmine her choice of husband - Jemmie, or Piers St. Denis. She married Jemmie as planned, but St. Denis, furious at her refusal and still wanting custody of little Charlie Stuart, followed them to Scotland bearing a forged arrest warrant for the couple - for treason.

Book Number: 243

Number Of Pages: 374

Book Title: Bedazzled

Summary: Refused permission to wed an unsuitable man, Lady India Lindley eloped with her suitor, taking ship for Italy. The ship was taken by Barbary pirates, and India found herself in the harem of the dey of El Sinut. The dey, a former captive himself, married her and they fell in love. But the Janissaries of the Ottoman Empire attempted a coup, and a pregnant India, believing her husband dead, returned to her family only to face more turmoil because her child would be considered illegitimate by English society.

Book Number: 244

Number Of Pages: 340

Book Title: Besieged

Summary: Lady Fortune Lindley could only inherit a great Irish estate if she married a Protestant man. Brought to Ireland to consider the heir of a neighboring estate, she instead fell for his disinherited Catholic half-brother. Their interfaith marriage being unaccepted in both Ireland and England, they chose to find a home that would accept them both, crossing the sea to the New World with the first colonists to settle the region known as Mary's Land.

Book Number: 245

Number Of Pages: 439

Book Title: Vixens

Summary: Jasmine Leslie, dowager duchess of Glenkirk, came to the court of Charles II, bringing a trio of granddaughters seeking husbands. Widowed colonial Fancy caught His Majesty's roving eye, and quickly became his mistress and had his daughter before accepting his choice of husband. Sweet-natured Diana fell for twin brothers and devised a clever stratagem to decide between them. And willful Cynara, determined to find a man who will love her and not just her wealth, aimed to capture the heart of a man who said he'd never marry.

Book Number: 27

Number Of Pages: 320

Book Title: Bright

Author: H.D. Knightley

Summary: This YA story centers around a teenager who questions society and government control to live her own life, risking imprisonment and death to be her own person and follow her own path.

@catstaff I'm a huge Mercedes Lackey fan and noticed you're reading the Elemental Masters series by her. Would you recommend it? It's one of the only series by her I haven't read.

16 hours ago, purpledragonclaw said:

@catstaff I'm a huge Mercedes Lackey fan and noticed you're reading the Elemental Masters series by her. Would you recommend it? It's one of the only series by her I haven't read.

I'm a huge fan as well! I spoke with her a few times at Dragon Con back in 2015, she's really nice. I do recommend the Elemental Masters series, but not all of them, odd as that might seem. It's a personal taste thing - the first 10 in the series, 11 if you count The Fire Rose, I love most of them. (The Fire Rose was published 6 years before the rest; I think it was meant as a standalone novel but then Misty revisited the concept and turned it into a series, so The Fire Rose is now considered Elemental Masters #0. It makes a couple of statements about how the mages tend to interact that are contradicted in the rest of the series, but it's also set in the US while the rest are set mainly in and around England, so you could probably just squint and call it cultural differences.)

The series starts as a re-imagining of classic fairy tales set in the Edwardian era running up through WWI. They're not in chronological order, however. For example, The Wizard of London (#4) pretty obviously takes place some time before The Serpent's Shadow (#1) (It's also the only one of the first 10 or 11 that I'm pretty "meh" about.) Reserved for the Cat (#5) and Steadfast (#8) have similar themes (destitute dancers finding work in vaudeville halls that just happen to have mages around) but are executed differently enough that the second doesn't feel like a rehash of the first. Some characters make appearances in multiple books, which does make the series feel a little more cohesive.

Starting with A Study in Sable (#11), however, the books seem to shift from being loosely based on fairy tales, to being based on Sherlock Holmes. This is where I've started to lose interest, because Brother Cadfael aside, I'm not super into mysteries and I've never cared for Sherlock Holmes. It's kind of a shame, I love the characters of Nan and Sarah as well as their birds Neville and Grey (appearances in The Wizard of London, Home from the Sea (#7), A Study in Sable, and I'm pretty sure in the next three as well but I haven't read those) but as I said, this is where they switch from "fantasy based around the magic" to "mystery based around the magic" and I'm just not as into that. Still good writing and all, just not quite my cup of tea, your taste may differ.

Book Number: 246

Number Of Pages: 326

Book Title: The Farm Stand

Author: Amy Clipston

Summary: Salina loves selling her produce at her farm stand at the Amish market. Her father, the district's bishop, wants her to give up the stand and marry her boyfriend, but she's ambivalent; their families are friends and she feels that family expectations pushed them together. Then she meets Will, a Mennonite who runs a nearby restaurant and wants to use local produce. Salina and Will grow closer through their business relations, but her father forbids her to have any more contact with him.

Book Number: 247

Number Of Pages: 233

Book Title: Girl with a Pearl Earring

Author: Tracy Chevalier

Summary: Griet works as a maid for the family of the artist Vermeer. She is fascinated with his paintings and eventually he asks her to model for him and wear his wife’s pearl earrings as she models. A butcher's son courts her on her time off, and she is torn between marrying a man who can help her support her ailing parents, and remaining in her position because of the pleasure she obtains from seeing the paintings created.

Book Number: 248

Number Of Pages: 237

Book Title: An Amish Gift

Author: Cynthia Keller

Summary: For Shep and Jennie, inheriting a house and established bicycle shop in Lancaster, PA gives them a fresh start. But the family continues to struggle financially. Jennie makes friends with an Amish neighbor, Mattie, and the families grow close. When Jennie’s dog is hit by a car, the vet bill plus a chance remark from her son inspires Jennie to start a candy-making business, with help from Mattie’s family in selling the candy at the local farmer’s market. But as the candy enterprise becomes more successful, it highlights the growing stress in Jennie and Shep’s marriage.

Book Number: 249

Number Of Pages: 409

Book Title: Adora

Summary: Wedded to the Ottoman Sultan Orkhan, Byzantine Princess Theadora resides in Bursa until she becomes old enough to bear children and consummate the marriage. There she meets Prince Murad, Orkhan's youngest son. Murad, assuming his father will die before remembering his third wife, courts Theadora, but to their dismay, Orkhan sends for her. Murad reacts angrily when Theadora is widowed, sending her fleeing. But her jealous sister, now Empress of Byzantium, plots to send Theadora to Murad as a slave instead of a wife.

Book Number: 250

Number Of Pages: 1358

Book Title: Executive Orders

Author: Tom Clancy

Summary: Jack Ryan, elevated to the presidency when a plane crashed into the Capitol less than an hour after he took the oath as vice-president, is faced with completely rebuilding the US government as the crash took out most of Congress and the entire Supreme Court as well as the president. In addition, he faces challenges from a political rival, terrorists attack his daughter's daycare, and the same terrorist group attempts biological warfare by spraying an aerosol-borne strain of Ebola in convention centers around the country.

Edited by catstaff
Fixed a title goof.

@Little-Star Thank you! Merci beaucoup! (Hope I spelled that right.)

Book Number: 28

Number Of Pages: 308

Book Title: Running Against the Devil: A Plot to Save America from Trump-and Democracts From Themselves

Author: Rick Wilson

Summary: Rick Wilson returns to provide a blueprint for how Democrats can win and lose the 2020 election against Trump, complete with his usual acrid wit and caustic, cutting commentary.

Book Number: 22

Number Of Pages: 897

Book Title: Nightmares & Dreamscapes

Author: Stephen King

Summary: A collection of short stories, and one essay. There is a lot of variety in this one, but two of my favorites were Crouch End, his take on a Lovecraftian story, and The Doctor's Case, a Sherlock Holmes pastiche.

Book Number: 23

Number Of Pages: 372

Book Title: Lovecraft Country

Author: Matt Ruff

Summary: In the mid 1950's, a black family finds themselves involuntarily involved in a series of Lovecraftian occurrences, while also dealing with everyday 1950's racism.

Book Number: 24

Number Of Pages: 127

Book Title: Cycle of the Werewolf

Summary: The story of a small town terrorized by a werewolf, told over the course of a year. The twelve chapters each address a different month, focusing primarily on the night of the full moon.

Not sure if this one counts, as each chapter contains 3 full pages of illustrations. Illustrated books have not been addressed (and it's definitely not a comic book), but so far I haven't read anything with illustrations that would impact the page count this much. No big deal if it doesn't count, I've already passed my total for last year, anyway!

Book Number: 25

Number Of Pages: 106

Book Title: The Turn of the Screw

Author: Henry James

Summary: A governess, hired to care for two orphans, records her time at Bly Manor and the strange events she witnessed there.

Almost forgot: Congrats, Catstaff!

Edited by GhostMouse

On 7/1/2020 at 11:05 PM, catstaff said:

Book Number: 246

Number Of Pages: 326

Book Title: The Bake Shop

Author: Amy Clipston

Summary: Salina loves selling her produce at her farm stand at the Amish market. Her father, the district's bishop, wants her to give up the stand and marry her boyfriend, but she's ambivalent; their families are friends and she feels that family expectations pushed them together. Then she meets Will, a Mennonite who runs a nearby restaurant and wants to use local produce. Salina and Will grow closer through their business relations, but her father forbids her to have any more contact with him.

I will still count it, but this one should have been labeled as a reread.
edit: well the summary is different but has the same title and same author, maybe you made an error ?

Edited by Little-Star

On 7/9/2020 at 3:15 PM, GhostMouse said:

Not sure if this one counts, as each chapter contains 3 full pages of illustrations. Illustrated books have not been addressed (and it's definitely not a comic book), but so far I haven't read anything with illustrations that would impact the page count this much. No big deal if it doesn't count, I've already passed my total for last year, anyway!

Not sure if you're talking about The Turn of the Screw or Cycle of the Werewolf, but I think it still counts if it's not a picture books with mostly pictures and a little bit of text but a complete story with some illustrated pages.

Book Number: 29

Number Of Pages: 299

Book Title: The Language of Spells

Author: Garret Weyr

Summary: A dragon, the last of his kind to be born, embarks on a journey with his friend, a human girl that can see him in a world that's lost that ability, to find out what's happened to the rest of dragonkind and return them to the world.

9 hours ago, Little-Star said:

Not sure if you're talking about The Turn of the Screw or Cycle of the Werewolf, but I think it still counts if it's not a picture books with mostly pictures and a little bit of text but a complete story with some illustrated pages.

Oops, I meant Cycle of the Werewolf. It was clearer before I finished The Turn of the Screw and added that one to the end, my bad.

Anyway, yes, it's a novella with illustrations, not a picture book or a comic book. So that sounds good to me! :)

On 7/11/2020 at 11:29 PM, Little-Star said:

I will still count it, but this one should have been labeled as a reread.
edit: well the summary is different but has the same title and same author, maybe you made an error ?

Yes, I goofed up on the title, which should have been listed as The Farm Stand. The author is correct, though, it's the second in a series. The next one will be out in December, The Coffee Corner. Sorry about that, I'll go fix it.

Book Number: 40

Number Of Pages: 526

Book Title: L'évangile selon Satan (would translate as Satan's Gospel ? No english translation)

Author: Patrick Graham

Summary: After the murder of a police officer who were invistigating four waitress who desapeared. Marie Parks found out they were sent by the vatican to stop a serial killer, and she is sent to find Satan's Gospel before the killer, because the books contains informations to destroy the vatican and christianity. 

Edited by Little-Star

Book Number: 30

Number Of Pages: 127

Book Title: A Compendium of Witches

Author: Natasa Ilincic

Summary: This great visual dictionary of witches features witches from different time periods, where the author was visited by witches in dreams each night and catalogued their story. It's a work of fiction rather than a historical document, however.

Book Number: 26

Number Of Pages: 436

Book Title: Mr. Mercedes (Bill Hodges #1)

Summary: A gray Mercedes tears through a crowd, killing 8 and wounding many more. This is one of the few cases left unsolved when Bill Hodges retires from the police department. But then he receives. a taunting letter from the killer, leaving Bill racing to catch the killer before he strikes again.

Book Number: 27

Number Of Pages: 434

Book Title: Finders Keepers (Bill Hodges #2)

Summary: 1978 - An obsessed fan murders his favorite author, taking not only stacks of cash, but also his final, unpublished manuscripts. He stashes them for safekeeping, only to get arrested while drunk for an unrelated violent crime. 35 years later, he is released, only to discover that his stash has already been found by a young teenager, Pete Saubers. Now he's out for revenge, and Pete's best hope is Finders Keepers detective agency.

Book Number: 28

Number Of Pages: 432

Book Title: End Of Watch (Bill Hodges #3)

Summary: A new threat faces the surviving victims of the tragic "Mr. Mercedes" incident, and others who were targeted by the killer after the fact. Bill has his suspicions, but will they be enough to prevent more tragedy?

I feel like I really mangled these descriptions because I was trying to avoid spoilers. But I really enjoyed them, and particularly couldn't put Mr. Mercedes down. These also tie into The Outsider, and a short story in the collection If It Bleeds, and should probably be read in publication order.

Book Number: 41

Number Of Pages: 542

Book Title: Le Temple de Jerusalem (french version of The Colombus Affair)

Author: Steve Berry

Summary: Tom Sagan was about to kill himself when a man came to see him. Showing him a video of his daugher being in danger, he got into a quest to find jewish lost treasure and unveil some mysteries surronding Christopher Colombus.