Little-Star

250 Book Challenge 2019 - 2020

Book Number: 20

Number Of Pages: 303

Book Title: The Bard's Tale: Stories & Recipes From The Black Dragon Inn

Editor: Daniel Myers

Summary: An anthology of stories that takes place in The Black Dragon Inn as told by a bard. The stories range from zombies and werewolves to would-be kings and tattoo artists. Each story ends with a real recipe from The Black Dragon Inn that can be used for cooking.

Edited by purpledragonclaw

Book Number: 30

Number Of Pages: 285

Book Title: L'ennemie de Sylfar : Conflits Célestes (book 3/3) would translate as The Ennemy of Sylfar : Celestial conflicts

Author: Justin Lemire

Summary: A serie of wars happen in different universes and Christina and her friends need to end them.

Book Number: 151

Number Of Pages: 253

Book Title: The Final Reflection

Author: John M. Ford

Summary: In the early days of the Federation, the Klingon captain Krenn was known as a brilliant strategist in battle. But when he is sent on a diplomatic mission to Earth, he has to learn a lesson in peace… and then must fight a secret battle of his own, to prevent the Empire from shattering the Federation… or from being torn apart in the attempt.

Book Number: 152

Number Of Pages: 273

Book Title: The Pandora Principle

Author:Carolyn Clowes

Summary: When the Enterprise finds a Romulan Bird of Prey drifting dead in space, Starfleet orders the derelict warship brought back to Earth to be examined. But the ship carries a mysterious cargo which quickly proves deadly. The only hope for the planet’s survival rests in the hidden memories of Spock’s protégé, Academy Cadet Saavik. With Kirk stranded on Earth, the Enterprise must cross the Neutral Zone to return to the world of Saavik’s birth… a nightmare of a planet known as Hellguard… to ferret out the secrets of the deadly Romulan threat.

Book Number: 153

Number Of Pages: 433

Book Title: The Fire Rose

Author: Mercedes Lackey

Summary: When Rosalind's father died after losing the family fortune in a series of bad investments, she accepted a position as a governess in San Francisco. Upon arriving, she learned that she was actually there to read an assortment of ancient manuscripts to her employer via a speaking tube. Jason Cameron was an Elemental Mage, disfigured by a failed ritual, and trying desperately to heal himself. Rosalind eventually learned to tap into her own Elemental abilities to help him. And a rival Mage makes a bid for power, unleashing the deadly forces of Earth and Fire on the city.

Book Number: 154

Number Of Pages: 372

Book Title: Never Seduce a Scot

Author: Maya Banks

Summary: Eveline Armstrong is thought “touched”, her family unaware that she lost her hearing following a riding accident. A clever girl, she allows the world to believe she is daft, since that belief protected her from an unwanted marriage. But by royal decree, she is forced to wed the chief of a rival clan. Graeme Montgomery sees the intelligence in his wife’s eyes and becomes intrigued. He discovers her secret and why she kept it, only to see her kidnapped by a rival. But he’ll move heaven and earth to rescue the woman he’s learned to love.

Book Number: 155

Number Of Pages: 404

Book Title: Alien Nation: The Day of Descent

Author: Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens

Summary: Based on the old tv show Alien Nation. The story of Matt Sikes's first homicide case as a rookie detective, and how it leads him to a conspiracy that threatens his life, his child, and his world. While out in space, a slave ship heads towards the sun, with a rebellion brewing as the Tenctonese slaves making up her cargo discover that this star’s third planet is their last, only hope to escape extinction.

Book Number: 156

Number Of Pages: 330

Book Title: Alien Nation: Dark Horizon

Author: K.W. Jeter

Summary: The human racist group the Purists have developed a bacteria that is deadly to the Tenctonese. Detective George Francisco’s wife and daughter have been infected and lie near death, while George and partner Matt Sikes race to keep the Purists from distributing the bacteria and killing all the Tenctonese on Earth. At the same time, a one-man ship lands in the desert, the warrior aboard sent to recover the former slaves… and to find a way to enslave the humans as well.

Book Number: 157

Number Of Pages: 277

Book Title: Alien Nation: Body and Soul

Author: Peter David

Summary: When Matt Sikes finally realizes he harbors romantic feelings for his Tenctonese neighbor Cathy, he steps far enough out of his comfort zone to agree to attend a class with her, one designed to teach the two species how to safely interact physically. But even attending the class becomes dangerous when reports that a human/Tenctonese hybrid baby has been born, bringing out the Purists to violently protest the idea that love can cross even the boundary of species.

Book Number: 158

Number Of Pages: 309

Book Title: Alien Nation: The Change

Author: Barry B. Longyear

Summary: George Francisco starts developing odd symptoms which he believes, due to his life aboard the slave ship, will lead to his death. As he is trying to come to terms with these changes, and that they will instead bring him improved abilities, a criminal from his past breaks out of prison, determined to carry out a vendetta against George and everyone he cares for… and everyone who cares for him.

Book Number: 159

Number Of Pages: 306

Book Title: Alien Nation: Slag Like Me

Author: Barry B. Longyear

Summary: To expose the extent of the racism and discrimination against Tenctonese, human journalist Micky Cass went undercover, posing as a Tenctonese… “slag” to the bigots… in the same way John Howard Griffin posed as a colored man in the 1960s to write Black Like Me. Micky’s articles spark controversy as the journalist prints names and pulls no punches. When he disappears, the entire city erupts in violence… and Matt Sikes’s only hope of tracing down the missing journalist is to also go undercover posing as Tenctonese.

Book Number: 160

Number Of Pages: 289

Book Title: Alien Nation: Passing Fancy

Author: David Spencer

Summary: A chance encounter with a woman from his past has Matt Sikes leading partner George Francisco into the maze of L.A.’s illegal drug market, while his girlfriend Cathy risks her own life to save another. And they all learn just how far some Tenctonese will go in an effort to fully assimilate into human society, even when they know it might well kill them.

Book Number: 161

Number Of Pages: 276

Book Title: Alien Nation: Extreme Prejudice

Author: L.A. Graf

Summary: While on a conference in Pittsburgh, George Francisco and Matt Sikes are suddenly faced with a homicide and offer their help in investigating as the victim is a Tenctonese attendee. What they find is a tale of abuse and horror, and a creature bred to hunt and kill.

Book Number: 162

Number Of Pages: 308

Book Title: Alien Nation: Cross of Blood

Author: K.W. Jeter

Summary: When Matt Sikes and his Tenctonese girlfriend Cathy discover they’re expecting a baby, it sparks tension across the city as the Purists, fearing the implications of the possibility of hybrid children, threaten Cathy’s safety. When the medical facility treating her is attacked, she is forced into hiding. Meanwhile George Francisco falls in with a new Tenctonese religious cult, abandoning his partner and his job, at a time when he is most needed. But Matt gets help from an unlikely source when he finds himself fighting to save his newborn from those determined to destroy anyone who is different.

Book Number: 163

Number Of Pages: 336

Book Title: Sense and Sensibility

Author: Jane Austen

Summary: Marianne Dashwood is ruled by her emotions, and when she falls in love with the dashing rake John Willoughby she ignores her sister Elinor's warning that her impulsive behavior leaves her open to gossip. Meanwhile Elinor, always sensitive to social convention, is struggling to conceal her own romantic disappointment, even from those closest to her. Through their parallel experience of love and its threatened loss the sisters learn that sense must mix with sensibility if they are to find personal happiness in a society where status and money govern the rules of love.

Book Number: 31

Number Of Pages: 380

Book Title: Mauvaise Base (french version of The Final Detail)

Author:  Harlan Coben

Summary: A popular Bass-ball player is killed and Myron tries to find out who did it. 

Book Number: 32

Number Of Pages:107

Book Title: Contre Dieu (would translate as Against God)

Author: Patrick Sénécal

Summary: someone's wife and kids died in a car accident. That person (refered as you in the text) goes crazy and do a lot of stupid thing to defy God. 

Edited by Little-Star

Book Number: 13

Number Of Pages: 179

Book Title: The Clue of the Tapping Heels

Author: Carolyn Keene

Summary: Nancy, Bess and George are asked to stay with a retired actress and solve the mystery of strange tapping sounds heard at night in the house. They also arrive to find the her prized pet Persian cats are being kidnapped and are determined to solve both mysteries.

Book Number: 14

Number Of Pages: 220

Book Title: The Mystery of the Brass Bound Trunk

Summary: Nancy Bess and George are invited to sail abroad to Buenos Aires, but a woman whose daughter is also sailing abroad tries to bully Nancy into not going. When Nancy and her brass bound trunk board the ship, she comes across another trunk exactly like hers... or is it? After several attempts by thieves to have her own trunk stolen, Nancy believes something is not right about the woman who threatened her and sets out to get to the bottom of it.

Book Number: 15

Number Of Pages: 177

Book Title: The Mystery of the Moss-Covered Mansion

Summary A friend of Carson Drew's has been arrested and charged with sending a truck loaded with explosive oranges into the Space Center Complex. Knowing that he could not possibly be guilty, Nancy and her father rush to his defense

Book Number: 16

Number Of Pages: 178

Book Title: The Quest of the Missing Map

Summary: Nancy sets out to find the lost twin broth of Tomlin Smith and a treasure that their father supposedly hid while protecting Tomlin's daughter from taking a potentially harmful job.

Book Number:33

Number Of Pages:264

Book Title: Au Nom de l'Horreur (would translate as: In the Name of Horror)

Author: L.P. Sicard

Summary: 8 people won a constest for a one week stay in a anciant french mension as they lived 200 years ago. No electricity, no cell service, no technology at all. On the first nught of the stay, strange things happen. 

Book Number: 164

Number Of Pages: 244

Book Title: The Day the World Came to Town: 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland

Author: Jim Defede

Summary: September 11, 2001. When the planes crashed into the Twin Towers, the Pentagon, and a Pennsylvania field, US airspace was shut down. No planes could enter. But what about the trans-Atlantic flights that were too far into their journeys to return to Europe? Thirty-eight jumbo jets were forced to land in the little town of Gander, Newfoundland. Once an important refueling stop for military planes crossing the ocean in WWII, the population of this small community and nearby villages all pulled together to respond to the challenge of finding food, accommodations, and reassurance for their unexpected guests.

Book Number: 165

Number Of Pages: 221

Book Title: The Magician’s Nephew

Author: C.S. Lewis

Summary: Digory Kirke’s Uncle Andrew is a magician, who sends Digory and his friend Polly to… somewhere else. The children first find themselves in a dying world, confronted by the evil sorceress Jadis. When Jadis manages to accompany them back to London, the two hatch a plan to get her back to her own world, but instead find themselves witnessing the birth of a new world… one brought forth by the song of the Lion.

Book Number: 166

Number Of Pages: 206

Book Title: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

Summary: When the four Pevensies are sent from London to stay in the country home of Professor Kirke, they don’t expect much. But when Lucy hides in a wardrobe and finds herself in a strange winter wood, taking tea with a faun, their adventures are just beginning. With the help of Aslan, the Great Lion, the foursome defeat the forces of the evil White Witch and free the land of Narnia once again.

Book Number: 167

Number Of Pages: 241

Book Title: The Horse and His Boy

Summary: Set during Narnia’s Golden Age,Shasta, a young Calormene boy, learns that he is not a Calormene by birth. He runs away, heading north to seek Narnia, and meets a Narnian Talking Horse who had been captured years before. The two decide to work together on their journey. But in making his way through the city, Shasta is mistaken for another runaway, leading him to learn the truth of his birth.

Book Number: 168

Number Of Pages: 238

Book Title: Prince Caspian

Summary: As the four Pevensies are returning to school, a magical summons pulls them from the train station into Narnia, where they had once ruled. They find a land in turmoil and a usurper on the throne. With Aslan’s aid, they lead the Narnians against the tyrant and give it into the care of Prince Caspian.

Book Number: 169

Number Of Pages: 271

Book Title: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Summary: Lucy and Edmund Pevensie, along with their cousin Eustace, find themselves pulled to Narnia once again. Now well-established, King Caspian is determined to bring back the art of shipbuilding and sailing to Narnia, as well as to find the seven Lords banished by his usurping uncle. Aboard the newly-built vessel the Dawn Treader, they sail east through many adventures towards Aslan’s country at the End of the World.

Book Number: 170

Number Of Pages: 257

Book Title: The Silver Chair

Summary: In running from the school bullies, Eustace and his friend Jill escape through a door in the wall, only to find themselves in Narnia. Aslan himself sets them a task, to find and save Prince Rilian from the clutches of an evil witch.

Book Number: 171

Number Of Pages: 228

Book Title: The Last Battle

Summary: Aslan supposedly has returned to Narnia, yet the learned centaurs say that he has not, that men may lie but the stars do not, and the stars are predicting disaster. King Tirian’s only hope is that the children from another world might once again appear, as they had done from time to time in Narnian history. Only moments later, Eustace and Jill appear before him. Can they save the land they love from the false Aslan, or are they doomed to fail?

Book Number: 172

Number Of Pages: 286

Book Title: Karen

Author: Marie Killilea

Summary: Born three months premature and weighing less than two pounds in 1940, Karen Killilea suffered from cerebral palsy. In an age where the accepted wisdom for dealing with such afflictions was that the afflicted had no mentality so the best option was to leave her in an institution and forget she’d been born, her parents refused to believe it. They found a doctor willing to work with them and learned to work as their daughter’s physical therapists in order to teach her to walk, feed herself, and write.

Book Number: 173

Number Of Pages: 302

Book Title: With Love From Karen

Author: Marie Killilea

Summary: Sequel to Karen, this picks up the story of the Killilea family when Karen is twelve, and continues on their journey through her high school years. Highlights include Karen’s correspondence with a group of soldiers in Korea, the marriages of sisters Gloria and Marie, and the family’s decision to raise show Newfoundlands to give Karen a chance to compete with the non-handicapped… while she couldn’t personally take the dogs into the show ring, she could and did assume the duties of care and feeding and grooming for the shows.

(Can't say I'm enjoying the self-isolating and all, but it is giving me plenty of time to read.)

@catstaff I loved the Narnia series! I read them as a child in the original publication order, which sadly is very hard to find now.

Book Number: 21

Number Of Pages: 188

Book Title: Call Them By Their True Names

Author: Rebecca Solnit

Summary: Another great entry of essays from Rebecca Solnit about re-contextualizing current events to tackle the core of their issues by giving them their true names. She covers incarceration, gentrification, politics, Standing Rock, and misogyny, weaving them together to show the intersectionality of it all.

I was just going to comment the same thing purple. I read those in middle school back in the day and should find my set and read them again. I never watched any of the movies though.

I didn't know that they re arranged them, I guess I'm glad I have the original publication set too.

On 4/11/2020 at 11:48 AM, water_angel said:

I was just going to comment the same thing purple. I read those in middle school back in the day and should find my set and read them again. I never watched any of the movies though.

They rearranged them because C.S. Lewis said that that was the original order he had intended to write them in, and his estate honors it after the fact. I owned the set in the original order, I gave it to my mother as a gift. I've seen, and own, all three movies, and if you want to watch them, my opinion is the first is excellent and the rest go downhill. The second one doesn't get good until about an hour and a half in, it just drags. The third one is just boring and they strayed really far from the Dawn Treader book. The book wasn't the most exciting in the series anyway, and the movie somehow made it worse. I think Disney severed their contract with Walden Media after it came out, it performed so poorly, and they were considering legal action against them, but I don't think it came to pass. The first one, definitely watch, and the original BBC series if you can find it! Tilda Swinton was phenomenal as The White Witch in the first movie.

I only have 37 books at my house and I can't get anymore at the moment (most of them that I didn't include are DnD Player Guides, Monster Manuals, Pathfinder books of the same thing, and short Pokemon manga novels with Pokemon strategy guides and Pokedex books 😕 )

I need to read them all and what's a better way than to read them to my daughter. I'd like to sign up please. :) and I'll see if I can scrounge up more around my house. XD

do you have a library near you? My mom used to take my brother and me there every week and we always had to check out at least two books that we would read before bed every night. And during the summer she used to make us work books and have us research the answers in the library.

Obviously its probably not open right now but once it is it would be a fun activity to do with your daughter. I don't know if they allow contactless delivery or not.

Book Number: 17

Number Of Pages: 181

Book Title: The Clue in the Jewel Box

Summary: An antique dealer's revelation about a former queen's heirloom leads her to ask Nancy to try to find her long lost grandson

Book Number: 18

Number Of Pages: 216

Book Title: The Secret in the Old Attic

Summary: An old soldier asks for Nancy and Carson's help in finding the theives who stole and published his son's music. Carson also asks Nancy to help his client discover if his secret silk weaving formula has been stolen by a competitor.

Edited by water_angel

I just moved to my dad's city, so I have no idea where anything is at. I know we have a library but our little neighborhood is out of the way. I'll see if my dad has anymore books I can read that don't have anything to do with our many tabletop RPGs. XD

8 hours ago, Merciless_Medic said:

I just moved to my dad's city, so I have no idea where anything is at. I know we have a library but our little neighborhood is out of the way. I'll see if my dad has anymore books I can read that don't have anything to do with our many tabletop RPGs. XD

If you can go for walks around your neighborhood, see if there are any "little free libraries" around. https://littlefreelibrary.org/  Plenty of those are still in service even with everything else closed.

If you have money to spare, some used book stores sell online, and Amazon also offers used books through their site. (You're buying from various used-book sellers, just via Amazon. Good if you're looking for something specific but older and/or out of print.) I've seen some of the used books on Amazon go for as little as a penny plus S&H (usually $3.99) which often made them less expensive than buying the kindle version. For that matter, search online for freebies, especially stuff that's out of copyright. Project Gutenberg is good for that, and has a read-online option as well as downloadable stuff in either epub or kindle formats. https://www.gutenberg.org/

Edited to add, also if you're a kindle reader, new and self-published authors often sell kindle versions of their books for far less than print copies. My book is $13.99 for print, but $2.99 on the kindle, for example.

Edited by catstaff

Book Number: 34

Number Of Pages:372

Book Title: Bilbo le Hobbit (translation of The Hobbit)

Author:J.R.R Tolkien

Summary: Bilbo, Thorin and twelves other dwarves go on a journey to get back the lonely mountain. 

Book Number: 174

Book Title: Sue Barton, Student Nurse

Author: Helen Dore Boylston

Summary: Sue Barton enters nursing school, where she makes friends with fellow students Kit Van Dyke and Connie Halliday, as well as hospital intern Dr. Bill Barry. She and her friends share many adventures and mishaps during their first two years of nursing school.

Book Number: 175

Number Of Pages: 220

Book Title: Sue Barton, Senior Nurse

Summary: In Sue’s final year of training, she goes through obstetrics and maternity training, surgical training, and becomes aware of her deepening relationship with Dr. Bill Barry.

Book Number: 176

Book Title: Sue Barton, Visiting Nurse

Summary: Following graduation, Sue and Kit move to New York City, to work as visiting nurses through the Henry Street Settlement House. Sue quickly grows to love public nursing, but is dismayed when fiancé Bill Barry pressures her to give up her work in favor of getting married immediately.

Book Number: 177

Number Of Pages: 254

Book Title: Sue Barton, Rural Nurse

Summary: Having resigned from Henry Street to marry Bill, Sue plans to work as an independent visiting nurse in the rural New Hampshire village where Bill has his practice once they’re married. Bill’s father dies, causing them to delay the wedding as Bill must now support his crippled younger brother, but Sue moves ahead with her plans, knowing the area needed a visiting nurse. The village has an outbreak of typhoid shortly after her arrival, and not long after, a major disaster in the form of 1938's Long Island Express hurricane.

Book Number: 178

Number Of Pages: 239

Book Title: Sue Barton, Superintendent of Nurses

Summary: Following the hurricane, a wealthy Springdale resident endows a hospital for the village. Newlyweds Sue and Bill Barry are the natural choices as Superintendent of Nurses and Chief of Staff respectively. Sue learns to adjust to married life as well as running a small nursing school and the problems that go along with the job.

Book Number: 179

Number Of Pages: 236

Book Title: Sue Barton, Neighborhood Nurse

Summary: Having resigned as Superintendent when she and Bill started their family, Sue keeps her hand in by subbing for the town’s current visiting nurse on occasion. But most of the time, she remains busy raising six year old Tabitha and four year old twins Johnny and Jerry, as well as offering first aid instruction and other advice to a neighbor’s teenaged daughter.

Book Number: 180

Number Of Pages: 204

Book Title: Sue Barton, Staff Nurse

Summary: Soon after the birth of their fourth child, Bill contracts pneumonia on a fishing trip, and is subsequently diagnosed with tuberculosis. To keep from driving herself crazy with worry while he is away at a sanitarium for treatment, Sue takes a job as a staff nurse at the Springdale hospital where Bill is still Chief of Staff. Some of the nurses initially greet her with reservations, worried that she might use her position as Dr. Barry’s wife to gain preferential treatment, she soon proves her mettle as a nurse and co-worker.

Book Number: 181

Number Of Pages: 441

Book Title: The Kadin

Author: Bertrice Small

Summary: Lady Janet Leslie was betrayed and sold into slavery, finding herself in the seraglio of the Ottoman Sultan. Given to his son Selim as a gift, she quickly wins the love of the man who would become sultan with his father’s passing… and becomes the mother of the man who would become known as Suleiman the Magnificent. After her son takes the throne, she fakes her own death to return to the land of her birth.

Book Number: 182

Number Of Pages: 662

Book Title: Love Wild and Fair

Author: Bertrice Small

Summary: Catriona Hay, long betrothed to Patrick Leslie, wed reluctantly, but was reasonably content. However, when they attend court, the king forces her to become his mistress. Cat is terrified that her husband will find out… and when he does, his reaction is even worse than she’d imagined. She flees to the one person she thinks might help her, Francis Hepburn-Stewart, Earl of Bothwell. With him she finds love at last, but a vengeful King James separates them in a fit of jealousy and exiles Bothwell from Scotland forever.

Book Number: 183

Number Of Pages: 302

Book Title: The Oathbound

Summary: Shin’a’in warrior Tarma shena Tale’sedrin and the sorceress Kethry of the White Winds school, owner of the geas-blade Need which forced her bearer to aid women in trouble, bound themselves as sisters with the intention of rebuilding Tarma’s decimated Clan and worked together as a mercenary team in order to earn both funds and a reputation.

Book Number: 184

Number Of Pages: 279

Book Title: Oathbreakers

Summary: After gaining a reputation as freelance mercs, Tarma and Kethry joined the Guild company Idra’s Sunhawks. Soon after a successful campaign, Idra received a summons from her homeland: she had been born a princess of Rethwellan, and with both of her brothers trying to claim their late father’s throne, she was being called upon to choose the next king. When she still hadn’t returned several months later, Tarma and Kethry journeyed to Rethwellan to find out what happened to their Captain, learnng that one of Idra's brothers had broken every oath of family and decency.

Book Number: 19

Book Title: The Mystery of the Tolling Bell

Summary: Nancy and her father agree to help a client who has been scammed of her savings. When Nancy arrives in the seaside town she also learns of a mysterious tolling bell and a supposed ghost of a sailor lurking among the cliffs.

Book Number: 20

Book Title: The Clue in the Crumbling Wall

Summary:When Nancy is asked to find a professional dancer who disappeared several years before so that she may claim her inheritance of a large castle owned by her late fiancee. Nancy soon finds that someone is lurking on the castle estate intent on discovering a secret meant for his bride to be.

Number Of Pages: 195

Book Title: Successful Berry Growing

Author: Gene Logsdon

Summary: How to plant, prune, pick and preserve bush and vine fruits.

27 minutes ago, water_angel said:

Number Of Pages: 195

Book Title: Successful Berry Growing

Author: Gene Logsdon

Summary: How to plant, prune, pick and preserve bush and vine fruits.

With the name and description, I would consider this is a text book (which aren't allowed)

I have to disagree. The writing itself was a man who wrote about his own experiences raising crops on his farm mixed in with stories about his childhood and looking for berries and his family farm. It's not "instructional" as it is someone writing a biography of his own experience. I can take some pictures of some pages if you'd like.

13 hours ago, water_angel said:

I have to disagree. The writing itself was a man who wrote about his own experiences raising crops on his farm mixed in with stories about his childhood and looking for berries and his family farm. It's not "instructional" as it is someone writing a biography of his own experience. I can take some pictures of some pages if you'd like.

yes, you can send me a PM about it

That was a long one 😆

Book Number: 35

Number Of Pages: 969

Book Title: A Clash of Kings

Author: George R. R. Martin

Summary: The war is on in Westeros. Three kings fighting for the Iron Throne, claiming they each are the rightfull heir. 

Edited by Little-Star