dreamtosleep

Option to combine password and action name verification

Ok, so I searched with the search bar and also went through the first several pages of this subforum and I didn’t see anything, but I apologize if I’m duplicating something on accident.

I, personally, would like the option to combine the two methods of action verification. I do not like the idea of not having my actions being password-protected, in the event of a malicious “friend” somehow having access because I’m always logged in on my phone, it makes me feel very squirmy to have my dragons able to released or abandoned without the security of my password.

BUT, from what I can at least tell, the “action name” verification option is helpful in preventing you from doing something you didn’t want to do. For instance, there have been several times when I’ve just unthinkingly typed in my password, only to realize that I was about to abandon my egg, rather than any other action. I’ve always caught it, but in the event that I didn’t, I just think it would be nice to also have to provide the action name to prevent my true dumb nature from prevailing in an ultimately regrettable way.

I don’t really understand why at this particular juncture you have to choose one or the other, so why not an option for both? Type in the action name so that you’re sure you know what you’re doing to your egg, and then type in your password for that extra security boost. 

Thoughts?

I really can't see the need for this - when you go for an action, first you get a screen saying "Release this dragon ?" (I'm testing on Zombie fodder just in case !) and then you get a pop up saying "Are you sure you want to release this dragon ?" Isn't that enough to warn you ?

1154079286_Image2.png.ff52164072307865158ae02308c56e33.png

release.png.4a80b7586f8c3b7d8cebff754b0d7362.png

I've had hiccup moments too - but the pop up says it all. Read it and you are safe.

Thats true, but how I’ve interpreted it- and correct me if I’m way off, because that will really change this whole concept- is that one of the main reasons people go with the action name verification is so that hiccups like that don’t happen. It’s so easy, at least for me, to go on autopilot, which is why I’ve heavily considered switching to action name. But I’ve never been able to get past my “fear.” 

And if the pop up is enough, then why do we have the action name at all? If my thoughts on that are on-track, then the popups aren’t “enough” for some. But it really freaks me out to not put in my password for these things. Why wouldn’t it be possible to combine it for people like myself, who’d like that autopilot-proofer, but don’t like being unprotected? I would understand if it’s a nightmare to code, but I know absolutely nothing about coding so I couldn’t tell you. I just think it would be a nice feature to have.

Edited by broadway_fiend

In the split second it takes to just hit Enter a second time, it's impossible to read what you're actually doing XD And those who go on autopilot have long stored that double-"Enter" in their muscle memory.

As an OPTION, like, a 3rd bullet point for the "Actions Security Method" setting, I'd support this request. You don't need to select it if you feel secure enough with just one confirmation box.

Fair enough. I am just paranoid enough that I DO read the second box. ALWAYS!

I don't know how necessary this is. You only need to enter your password if you want to perform an action that will have permanent consequences for your dragon - abandon/release, kill, freeze. It should be quite easy for you to train yourself to not enter your password / hit okay when you see the box where the password is automatically entered (depending on your browser setup) if you don't want to abandon, kill, freeze or release your dragons.

Not against the suggestion since having a combo-verification *option* won't affect those of us who chose not to use it, but I really don't see it as necessary. I've replied to a few suggestions in the past with the 'hand-holding' argument, and I'll repeat it here: At what point do you simply have to take responsibility for your actions? The game shouldn't have to baby you through every little thing. On the actions that require confirmation to begin with, we *already* have two confirmation steps: You have to type in something, and then click 'okay' on the pop-up. That's two verification points. I totally get the 'auto-pilot' thing, I do that myself when abandoning tons of eggs over the course of the day, but it's my responsibility to actually know what I'm doing.

All of the BSAs also have password verification, which is why I got into the “double tap” habit, after mass incubating or influencing, so although yes I could train myself out of it, it’s not just the big terrible irreversible actions that require it, because both influence and incubate can be reversed by teleport.

And yes, I totally get what you’re saying about handholding. But I don’t truly get how combining the two options we already have would be handholding? It’s not really “adding” a new feature that would make it harder to mess up. The feature is already in place. Except instead of just the action being required, you’d also have to provide a password. How would that be more hand-holdy? Again, I’m in favor of not doing a ton of hand holding, but since the feature already exists, I guess I don’t understand why combining them would cross the hand holding boundary.

I don’t know if changing the way you look at it would change your mind, I’d rather it be seen as adding extra account security to the name function, as opposed to adding a “safety net” to the password function. I would totally switch to the action name verification if I weren’t so worried about security. 

Edited by broadway_fiend

In that case, I think it would be a much better idea to not ask for password confirmation for all but the following BSAs: Bite, Earthquake and Expunge. Maybe even Teleport. Everything else is (mostly) harmless and can either be undone or will undo itself over time or has no ill effect.

2 hours ago, olympe said:

In that case, I think it would be a much better idea to not ask for password confirmation for all but the following BSAs: Bite, Earthquake and Expunge. Maybe even Teleport. Everything else is (mostly) harmless and can either be undone or will undo itself over time or has no ill effect.

My point in mentioning those specific BSAs was to demonstrate that it’s not as though I make a habit of going on autopilot on options with irreversible effects. The reason I don’t often check the pop up box is not because I’m just used to releasing things. I also don’t quite get why removing protection on those would be a better idea than adding the option to add the password function to an already existing action-name verification system? Unless I’m totally misinterpreting what you’re saying, which I very well may be.

My idea was to simplify things instead of making them more unwieldy. So you don't ecen get into autopilot mode. Because I honestly believe that things like Incubate, Influence, Fertility, Summon, Ward, Corporealize, Precognition and Enrage/Pacify do not need password verification. Incubate is already safeguarded through the 3-day limit, and all other named BSAs have no harmful impact.

In essence, the question I asked - and answered differently than you - is this: Can your goal be achieved by making things simpler instead of more complicated? If so, how? Which brought me to the root of the problem as I see it: Autopilot mode due to too many password verifications required in everyday play.

As a matter of fact, I'm going to make this into a different suggestion later today.

Actually you can already achieve the no pop-up box by turning off javascript, if it bugs you.