Etude_Citron

ANSWERED:Won't let me use - or ' in naming dragons?

I tried to name my dragon with either a - or a ' but the site keeps telling me that I'm not allowed to use those characters. 

I don't understand why as it specifically says that those are allowed characters.....

And it's not a duplicate name either, it's the  'contains several invalid characters' message

Did you copy/paste from word ? You need to type the characters in by hand. And is there a space at either end of the name - that will always get you a fail.

4 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Did you copy/paste from word ? You need to type the characters in by hand. And is there a space at either end of the name - that will always get you a fail.

I copy/paste names all the time.  I do agree about the space though, it's really easy to add one when pasting.

Well, when I do it from anything in MSOffice I ALWAYS have to redo apostrophes. Haven't tried a dash....

Has to be worth a try.

It might also have to do with the device you are using. I've heard about some phones turning your ' into "smart" apostrophes and your - into "smart" dashes.

I can do that on desktop but it does not allow it on mobile. Are you using mobile when naming with such?

39 minutes ago, Whirlaway said:

I can do that on desktop but it does not allow it on mobile. Are you using mobile when naming with such?

If it's an iphone, this advice might help:

On 2/22/2018 at 1:39 AM, Fabula said:

Go into your settings. Go to General. Go to Keyboard. Turn off Smart Punctuation. I just tested it and it changed the "fancy apostrophes" to normal ones. :)

6 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

If it's an iphone, this advice might help:

I will have to test that later, thanks for the advice! ^.^

I also think that the special characters aren't allowed to be the first or last character of the name - the name must start and end with a letter. So, e.g Random'Random would work, but 'Random, or Random', or 'RandomRandom' wouldn't, because they all have a special character at the edge.