Draconiusultamius

Increase image upload size

I had to fiddle around with my phone for an hour and download three compression apps to get my profile picture onto the site because 0.5MB is too much to ask for in terms of avatar size.  I already cropped it to the smallest size possible using photos, which is usually enough to get the photo to a reasonable size for all other forums I have used with a similar amount of traffic to this one.  As technology improves and phone cameras get better, I think there might be a need to increase the allowed file size for images.  Its pretty inconvenient to have to go through uploading the photo onto another site and copying the link to the forums to post higher-quality images.  I'm not suggesting that we use all the site bandwidth for high-resolution, panoramic photos, but there is room for improvement.  Personally, I think a good limit would be 0.5MB for avatars and 5MB for forum posts.  It's not something that's super important, but it hasn't really been addressed here before and I'm pretty sure that if other forums with more photos can still afford greater image quality, why can't we?.

What fuzz said. I just looked through my personal folder of avatars that I use, and even the animated one I use on another site is less then 100KBs. I'm sure really high-quality stuff may be more then that, but I really see no reason why anyone would *need* to upload a half-a-MB avatar. And 5MBs for posts... Even the biggest most high-quality pictures I've taken don't come anywhere near that. And yeah, this isn't a photography site (and actually, this is a forum based on a pixel-dragon site, so for what the forum is actually about I totally don't understand having that large of files). If someone has 5MBs worth of stuff to post perhaps just link to it? 

I can agree with this. I had to mess around with my avi for ages to get to upload it. The answer is pretty simple as to why people want a larger image size - some images are bigger than the size limits allow? All I can say is that I support this because technology is indeed getting better and some pictures we want have a larger size. Literally, there is no problem or downside with upping the size so don’t see why it shouldn’t be incorporated.

2 minutes ago, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

Literally, there is no problem or downside with upping the size so don’t see why it shouldn’t be incorporated.

You mean besides other people's bandwidth that gets used up? Not everyone has the advantage of high-speed internet.

You do realize that your intended avatar image gets shrunk to fit the forum theme anyway? So why not RESIZE it before trying to upload it?

5 minutes ago, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

I can agree with this. I had to mess around with my avi for ages to get to upload it. The answer is pretty simple as to why people want a larger image size - some images are bigger than the size limits allow? All I can say is that I support this because technology is indeed getting better and some pictures we want have a larger size. Literally, there is no problem or downside with upping the size so don’t see why it shouldn’t be incorporated.

There is - bandwidth for the forum. Technology IS getting better - that's why the sites I referenced are so great. Because TECHNOLOGY.

For photos in posts - use pixresizer (free and dead easy)  - bluefive.pairsite.com - - for avatars - http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/

3 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

You mean besides other people's bandwidth that gets used up? Not everyone has the advantage of high-speed internet.

You do realize that your intended avatar image gets shrunk to fit the forum theme anyway? So why not RESIZE it before trying to upload it?

This. No matter what picture you use, if it's for an avatar it's going to get shrunk anyways. The max avatar pixel-size is, what, 120x120 I think? There is *no* reason for a 120x120 image to be bigger then 0.25Mbs. Seriously, there is just no reason for it. I get that picture quality is getting better, technology blah blah, but none of that changes the fact that it *is* still perfectly possible to make and use smaller images for avatars. And it's fairly simple to do, too, most computers come with some sort of photo program where you can resize things, and Fuzz linked to a few great online options.