Angelface7

ANSWERED:Breeding dragons

So, you know how the striped dragons have different colors, and you get the different colors through breeding? Can you do the same thing with any of the other dragon breeds that come in different colors?

Nope. Some of them have special breeding mechanics like Lunar Heralds that depend on the moon phases (see on DC Help => Time Reference), others are completely random, like Nebulas and Gemshards. The wiki can tell you more if you prefer complete spoilers :)

Then, there's fire gems where the color depends on the hour of the day the egg is created. See firegem.png for help. It always shows which color you'll get at the moment.

Yellow Undines are a random thing that only happens with bred undines.

Dorsals and ridgewings are also random, but also exist as CBs.

Alt holiday dragons and prizes are usually a reward for the people who created the art. (Exception: Black Sweetling.) It's impossible for anyone else to get them.

Snow angels are randomly assigned to a certain scroll. Unless things change, you'll only ever be able to have one of the three varieties.

Solstices' coloration (blue wings/rosy wings) depends on whether they were bred during the day time or night time (EST/EDST).

The kind of glory drake you get depends on when the egg was created (day time / night time).

Whether you get a sunrise or sunset dragon depends on when the baby hatches. They can only hatch between 6 AM - 12 (sunrise) and 6 PM - 12 (sunset).

Green spinels happen whenever you breed a "normal" magenta spinel with any earth-element dragon.

The color of a bred copper egg depends on the biome of the mother.

And, of course, there are seasonals with a different sprite for every season. Which one you get depends on when the egg was laid.

Arias can randomly breed pink dragons, and both vines and black dragons can randomly breed alts.

I think I got them all now? (Save for those already mentioned.)

13 minutes ago, olympe said:

Then, there's fire gems where the color depends on the hour of the day the egg is created. See firegem.png for help. It always shows which color you'll get at the moment.

Yellow Undines are a random thing that only happens with bred undines.

Dorsals and ridgewings are also random, but also exist as CBs.

Alt holiday dragons and prizes are usually a reward for the people who created the art. (Exception: Black Sweetling.) It's impossible for anyone else to get them.

Snow angels are randomly assigned to a certain scroll. Unless things change, you'll only ever be able to have one of the three varieties.

Solstices' coloration (blue wings/rosy wings) depends on whether they were bred during the day time or night time (EST/EDST).

The kind of glory drake you get depends on when the egg was created (day time / night time).

Whether you get a sunrise or sunset dragon depends on when the baby hatches. They can only hatch between 6 AM - 12 (sunrise) and 6 PM - 12 (sunset).

Green spinels happen whenever you breed a "normal" magenta spinel with any earth-element dragon.

The color of a bred copper egg depends on the biome of the mother.

And, of course, there are seasonals with a different sprite for every season. Which one you get depends on when the egg was laid.

Arias can randomly breed pink dragons, and both vines and black dragons can randomly breed alts.

I think I got them all now? (Save for those already mentioned.)

And Lumina/Dark Lumina - that mechanism hasn't been cracked yet (?) except that it's time-related in some way.

Well, there's Hybrids and weird breeding within that subgroup

Earth x Earth can randomly throw you a Geode, so can Stone x Stone (and of course Stone x Earth) and Ultraviolets can ALWAYS give you a Spitfire no matter the partner...

Oh and GoN breeding Avatars

and Sinos breeding random Zyus (AFAIK it's random at least)

And Xenos can give different variants depending on the mate OR random if it's Xeno x Xeno

Darn we got a LOT of weird breeding mechanisms, don't we?

Edited by Herk

4 hours ago, Herk said:

And Lumina/Dark Lumina - that mechanism hasn't been cracked yet (?) except that it's time-related in some way.

Seems most likely to be related to Valkemare moon phases in some way, but not as directly as Lunar Heralds.

As far as I can tell, the lumina breeding was influenced by only one of the moons (Aurax, I think), with almost (but not quite) 100% dark luminas during the new moon, almost (but not quite) 100% light luminas during its full phase and gradual shifts in between. Or was it the other way round?

And, yes, I totally intended to leave the can of worms hybrids unopened.

I don't know why you ask - but as I'm locked, I just did.  Seven pairs - two gave an ember, two a falcon, one refused, one got no egg and one no interest.

I'd say talking law of averages that was amazingly spot on :lol:

26 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I don't know why you ask - but as I'm locked, I just did.  Seven pairs - two gave an ember, two a falcon, one refused, one got no egg and one no interest.

I'd say talking law of averages that was amazingly spot on :lol:

now that's interesting. mine always either no eggs or not interested.