HeatherMarie

spacing not allowed at beginning/ending of dragon names?

Question: Are spaces at the beginning or end of dragon names not allowed? That seems to be the case since this is what I just got:

image.png.b496f92c4f453200cea55480e34f7735.png

I had put a space after "Vayoly". I don't understand the "invalid characters" reason shown here though, since it specifically says that spaces are okay. It says punctuation at the beginning or end might be trimmed off, but says nothing about it not being allowed at all. Is this a bug, or is it really not supposed to allow spaces at the beginning or end? And if that's the case, shouldn't the wording be changed to indicate that?

Has always been that way is all I know. Names need to start and end with letter or number.

Spacing has always counted as punctuation, grammatically speaking.

Edited by Miral

4 hours ago, Marie19R said:

Question: Are spaces at the beginning or end of dragon names not allowed? That seems to be the case since this is what I just got:

image.png.b496f92c4f453200cea55480e34f7735.png

I had put a space after "Vayoly". I don't understand the "invalid characters" reason shown here though, since it specifically says that spaces are okay. It says punctuation at the beginning or end might be trimmed off, but says nothing about it not being allowed at all. Is this a bug, or is it really not supposed to allow spaces at the beginning or end? And if that's the case, shouldn't the wording be changed to indicate that?

i think the site dont see space if are on end or start :) "X" mean - this name is in use on other dragon

No, it's definitely a matter of spaces not being allowed at the end - if you enter a unique name into the field it'll show a checkmark, indicating that it isn't being used by anyone, but the second you add a space at the end of that name it'll switch to an X. 

Basically, the explanation should be changed from ""may be trimmed off" to "is not permitted".

@Erra The message you get for already-taken names is a different one - you get told if it's already in use.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

6 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Basically, the explanation should be changed from ""may be trimmed off" to "is not permitted".

Yes please! I wasn't aware that this has always been the case, I don't think I've ever tried a space at the end before (in all honesty I wasn't doing it to have a space at the end, I was putting a space before adding an 'IB' marker, saw the X, and decided to try the name with the space at the end out of curiosity). I don't really care that spaces at the end aren't allowed, or why, but I definitely think the text needs to be changed because it is very misleading.