StarSea

Encyclopedia Issues (body types & missing sprites)

While going through the Encyclopedia, I've noticed quite a few things that need to be fixed or could potentially benefit from clarification:

1. All six Zyumorphs are in the same encyclopedia entry, supposedly causing them to all produce regular western zombies even though the Zyumorphs themselves are not all westerns. (Can this be proven fact? If they all produce proper zombies, this isn't really something that needs changed then.)
  2. Can we get some clarification on what exactly counts as "wingless"? Dorsals are counted as wingless, yet Heartseekers are not although they both have "fins".
  3. The blue-winged Solstices are not in the Solstice encyclopedia page, which is odd seeing as all other varieties of dragons are available, including both Nocturne forms and all three Terrae eggs.
  4. Black Sweetlings are missing as well (because they were caused by a glitch?)
  5. All six Xenowyrms say that they are found in "All habitats" despite being split into an encyclopedia entry per Xeno, at which point it should clearly specify their appropriate biomes.
  6. The Seasonals all have migrating biomes listed in their encyclopedia. They each have their own entry, so wouldn't it be better to just list the biomes they are actually only available in? During winter, all four say Alpine when in reality only Winters are ever available in Alpine. Throughout the rest of the year, they all, including Winter, say Forest.
  7. *New* Seasonals now have s2 and adults in Female / Male order whereas most of the other breeds have Male / Female order, and since the genders aren't specifically written out, this can be confusing.
  8. *New* Geodes, Spirit Wards, and Stripes have adults as Female / Male (s2 hatchies are fine, they are Male / Female (or no dimo)).

I believe that that is everything for now! If you notice anything else, please let me know so I can add it to the list!

Edited by StarSea

It would be really nice to get some of these things fixed. I'd love for the encyclopedia to be fully reliable as it should be. :)

My undead entry is showing all the types you say are missing, so is it possible you haven't unlocked the shadows/images yet?

58 minutes ago, StarSea said:

While going through the Encyclopedia, I've noticed quite a few things that need to be fixed or could potentially benefit from clarification:

1. Setsong and Risensong breeds are marked as Amphipteres when they are Lindwyrms.
  2. All six Zyumorphs are in the same encyclopedia entry, supposedly causing them to all produce regular western zombies even though the Zyumorphs themselves are not all westerns. (Can this be proven fact? If they all produce proper zombies, this isn't really something that needs changed then.)
  3. Can we get some clarification on what exactly counts as "wingless"? Dorsals are counted as wingless, yet Heartseekers are not although they both have "fins".
  4. The Undead/Zombie encyclopedia page is missing several zombie types including, but possibly not limited to, Dragon Lindwyrm, Two-Headed Western, Two-Headed Lindwyrm, and Two-Headed Sea Serpent.

I have the blanks/unlocks for all of the zombies body types with the exception of the Two-Headed Sea Serpent (which is not present). I would also like to see the other quoted things clarified or corrected as well.

Okay I thought that the other zombie breeds were missing completely but if others have them, then it must have to do with the unlocking feature? I figured that all of the shadows would show by default since my zombie page only has shadows, so I haven't actually unlocked any of the sprites, but I guess I was wrong?

29 minutes ago, w5aw5 said:

I have the blanks/unlocks for all of the zombies body types with the exception of the Two-Headed Sea Serpent (which is not present). I would also like to see the other quoted things clarified or corrected as well.

I have the two-headed sea serpent unlocked as a shadow. Anyway, I would love to see some of this stuff addressed--especially the Zyumorphs. It has always kind of bugged me that they're lumped into the same encyclopedia page when they've got all different body types and are found in all different biomes, when the Xenowyrms all get their own page and they have the same body type.

Yeah, the zombies (and some others) don't have even the shadows visible for everything at first, so it can be really confusing when trying to figure out what you need to unlock. I'd rather all the shadows for an entry show by default, but making sure all the body types are properly named (and produce correct zombies) would be nice, too.

My zombie page is completely unlocked. As for Heartseekers, their wings seem to be closer to Ridgewings. Dorsals have especially useless wings so they get to be wingless.

47 minutes ago, Mangrit said:

My zombie page is completely unlocked. As for Heartseekers, their wings seem to be closer to Ridgewings. Dorsals have especially useless wings so they get to be wingless.

Well, we don't call ostriches wingless - they are flightless, though. But even if their wings are useless compared to, let's say a hummingbirds, they're still called wings.

At least, that's my two cents. XD

41 minutes ago, Mangrit said:

Both the Dorsal and Heartseeker encyclopedia pages state "fins" ("Large purple or red fins along their back" - Dorsals, "with chocolate-brown fins" - Heartseekers), whereas Ridgewings specifies that they are infact wings ("large fin-like wings all along their back" - Ridgewings).

The Heartseeker page says that they can have "limited glides" but is gliding the minimum standard for having "wings" vs being wingless? Or should Heartseekers actually be marked as wingless?

These are some very interesting issues and it would certainly be nice to have some clarification here. I wonder if there's a specific reason the Zyus have one combined entry, and we just aren't aware of that reason? It does seem inconsistent, though, since Xenos have separate entries (and yeah, Zyus are certainly not all the same body type, which would seem like even more of a reason for separate entries).

The Lindwyrm/wurm thing has bugged me for awhile now, and I have them listed with both spellings in my spreadsheet because I have no clue which one is correct.

I've just accepted the wurm/wyrm thing, I think it's just... a thing that the English language allows? Then again after some quick Googling people outside of Dragon Cave use worm/wurm and wyrm seems to be Final Fantasy centric?

I really want Zyus to have different pages (and zombies), I'll give y'all that.

Also those are fine Dorsal/Ridgewing/Heartseeker arguments, I just personally think it's correct how it is, because I imagine the Dorsal wings to rot off quickly from being so small. And if Dorsals became Westerns it would mess up my zombie collection. Their alt fails are the best zombie fodder there is.

Some of the trouble is that there's no globally-accepted single spelling of "lindwurm." I've seen anything from "linnorm" to "lindwyrm" depending on geographical region, so it's more which language you're using as the basis for the term. >..<

I totally get that "lindwyrm" is spelled many different ways depending on situation/person/region, but I would think that a specific dragon site like DC should be able to choose one spelling and stick to it, instead of spelling it multiple ways. I don't care whatsoever which spelling is used, but shouldn't it be consistent on the site?

Yes, of course. I didn't mean that it wasn't a problem, just that TJ would need to choose an official-for-DC spelling since there isn't an actual official one.

The topic has been renamed and issue number 6 has been added to the list: Blue-winged Solstice is missing from the Solstice encyclopedia page.

(hi mori)

On the topic, I believe the site does count all Zyus as the same breed throughout the site. I honestly don't know why. I wish it was different.

I think it all stems from Pie not wanting to give them different, unique descriptions? So they're all the same breed.

Honestly I just wish they had different descriptions and counted as fully separate species... they can't all act exactly the same or have exactly the same mannerisms. It makes them really flat... and leads to issues like this. 

Two more issues have been added to the list:

On 10/18/2017 at 1:44 PM, StarSea said:
  • All six Xenowyrms say that they are found in "All habitats" despite being split into an encyclopedia entry per Xeno, at which point it should clearly specify their appropriate biomes.
  • The Pink dragon entry has two rows of Pinks... not sure why, presumably it thinks they have a BSA "Cooldown" variation like Bolts and Aeons?

It looks like the risen and setsongs have been fixed to be Lindwyrms, so I've gone ahead and removed that bullet from the OP. :)

4 minutes ago, StarSea said:

It looks like the risen and setsongs have been fixed to be Lindwyrms, so I've gone ahead and removed that bullet from the OP. :)

A bunch of them don't seem to be true (anymore?)—I don't see lindwurm anywhere, and I don't see any duplicate pink sprite sets going on.

14 minutes ago, TJ09 said:

A bunch of them don't seem to be true (anymore?)—I don't see lindwurm anywhere, and I don't see any duplicate pink sprite sets going on.

I hadn't noticed those other two fixes, aside from those two however, all the rest still seem to be true. And to add onto it - the Omen page has alt Omens in it right now as well.

Perhaps the black Sweetling and blue Solstice are in it, it's just not properly counting them when we visit them?

Edited by StarSea

Cheese and Papers have a body type listed in the Encyclopedia, Western and Lindwyrm respectively. Don't know when that happened, but it's there now.

Wonderful, thank you for the alert, @Marie19R! It seems like it may have happened last night after I went to bed. I had gone through and re-checked all of my bullets, and did again just now, but I'm glad something else could get checked off the list. :)

Since this is for encyclopedia issues I'll post it here instead of starting a new topic.

The Seasonal Dragon's Encyclopedia pages are showing the wrong biome. Spring, Autumn, Winter and possibly Summer (I don't have the location unlocked for that form yet) say they are only found in the Alpine biome. Spring and Autumn, and Summer if effected, should be listed as found in the Forest biome not the Alpine biome.

Also, can anyone verify if the Summer form is also being listed as found in the Alpine?