bbik

Group Holidays in the Encyclopedia

I know TJ already said (somewhere) that standardizing the breed names and sort order between descriptions, breed-sort, and the encyclopedia is on the to-do list. However, I'm not sure exactly what order he's thinking of using in the end, especially since some breeds are grouped while others aren't, so...

I would like to see the holidays be named such that they are grouped. All Valentine's Day dragons should be together under V, all Halloween dragons should be together under H, and all Christmas dragons should be together under C. Possibly, all three of those groups should also be together (under H for holiday?), but I don't really care either way about that.

I would still like the (un)official breed names to be available, though. Adding it as a parenthetical after the main part of the name (ex. "Valentine's Day 2010 (Sweetling)") would work. Listing it as a bullet point (ex. * "Frequently called: Sweetling") with the rest of the encyclopedia's breed information would be ok as well.

Are there any other reasonable options for how these dragons should be named/sorted, and how to handle displaying all three parts of information (holiday, year, name)?

I don't support this. While I understand the sentiment of wanting to group things, having to remember to search Halloween when I knew a breed is Marrow or Valentine when I know a breed is Sweetling would annoy me. ;;

That being said, since chickens and dinos are regulated to the bottom regardless of name, I'd prefer chickens be grouped either before or behind the dinos rather than within them.

That being said, since chickens and dinos are regulated to the bottom regardless of name, I'd prefer chickens be grouped either before or behind the dinos rather than within them.

I hadn't even noticed that. blink.gif That definitely needs to be fixed.

For a bit more background on why I would like to see the holidays grouped, compare Christmases to the others. Right now, the Christmases are grouped. The others are not. At the very least, they should all be treated the same, either all grouped or all not. But if they're all not, now we have the issue of wondering what the names of the Christmases are, since they're not officially in the breed description. Sure, we on the forums all know "Yulebuck", "Winter Magi", "Wrapping Wing", etc., but for anyone who doesn't happen to know those names, ungrouping holidays would be a huge pain.

Additionally, if I'm looking for information about all Valentines, and I can remember "Arsani", "Valentine", "Rosebud", "Radiant Angel", but I know there's one more that I'm missing... It would be really convenient to have them together, because then you have the instant "Oh, that's the sprite, I forgot the Heartseekers!" That would also be good if you're not even sure how many there are -- remember, the different holidays started on different years, so you can't just assume that you're looking for the same number of each holiday. Or if you're looking for last year's Halloween dragon, but you can't remember whether that was the Shadow Walkers or the Cavern Lurkers, you can go to the Halloween grouping and figure it out immediately, rather than checking at opposite ends of the encyclopedia for both breeds. And, if you're searching for "Marrow", you'll be looking in the wrong place anyhow, so you might as well look for "Halloween" instead! (Yeah, just a bad example, I know. I do take your meaning. But this was too easy!)

So yes, I think it would be better to have the holidays grouped. But at the very least, they should be consistent.

For a bit more background on why I would like to see the holidays grouped, compare Christmases to the others. Right now, the Christmases are grouped. The others are not. At the very least, they should all be treated the same, either all grouped or all not. But if they're all not, now we have the issue of wondering what the names of the Christmases are, since they're not officially in the breed description. Sure, we on the forums all know "Yulebuck", "Winter Magi", "Wrapping Wing", etc., but for anyone who doesn't happen to know those names, ungrouping holidays would be a huge pain.

Unfortunately the reason they're grouped is because, as you said, they don't have names or descriptions. sad.gif I think the best fix would be to see if the breeds' creators could be convinced to give them official names and descriptions, but it might not be possible if some don't respond...

I would like to sort dragons in encyclopedia as I prefer... If i couldn't be possible at all (very unlikely) I support grouping holidays.

Meh. I'd rather the breeds sort by their names, ie, Pumpkins, Marrows, Shadow Walkers, Cavern Lurkers, and so on and so forth.

Cheers!

C4.

I'd very much like to see the dragons grouped in the encyclopedia. But not just the holidays, others as well.

2-Heads, Pygmies, Drakes, X-Mas, others.