Mistress of Whispers

[IC thread] In the Black

Teela

Teela nodded at Atlanta's not-very-specific explanation. It was obvious that the girl was keeping a secret, but to be honest: almost everyone on board was. Teela considered it her task to keep the ship safe and running, but she didn't begrudge people their secrets as long as it didn't endanger the ship. Still, Atlanta spoke of a military fiancée and there was only one significant military around.

Finally she spoke up: "If you're gonna bring the Alliance down on me, you need to tell me. And if you're working for them, I will shoot you. As long as those two are clear, you can keep your secrets."

Xiao

Xiao made a face and pushed Nelson away. "You have booze breath," she accused him. "Have you been drinking that moonshine again? No wonder you have a headache. Go play your pool."

She watched him go, then rose gracefully. "I might go outside actually," she said to Athena. "A few vials of medicine broke in the attack and I'd like to replace them." She didn't expect the Companion to go with her - playing pool with the others sounded like a lot more fun than a supply run.

Jay - pilot - Waiting for people to play pool with

Jay laughed. "I don't know if he'll share his poison with you, but I'll buy ya a round of something equally strong enough to celebrate we're still alive."

When he saw Nelson approach he raised his hand in greeting. "Hey there, Nelson. Do you know if anyone else is coming along?"

Athena- uneasy Companion

The companion watched as the scene unfolded before her with tight lips, the whole situation made her feel uncomfortable but as long as another woman was coming she would go as well just simply to get out of the ship.

"I'll come along." Athena said with a slight voice mainly to Xiao but to the boys as well. She hoped that she didn't cause too much of a stir with the locals.

((Sorry for the late response.))

Edited by XxWaterGaridanxX

Xiao

Nodding to Athena, Xiao rose gracefully and briefly dipped back inside the shuttle to get her cloak and credits. Carrying it over one arm, she replied to the Companion: "We'd best get down below then - I think Jay is gathering everyone who wants to go out." Xiao decided she'd join the group on their way to the bar, then strike out on her own once she found a medical supplier.

((@ Biologist, I think we're good to assume that everyone but Teela and Atlanta has gathered. Shall I do a description of their entry into the station?))

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

THE SPACE STATION was badly lit, leaving Harmony's crew standing in near darkness when they exited Harmony's air lock. Suddenly, the hallway before them was lit up; forcing them to squint their eyes as a woman sauntered up to them, accompanied by half a dozen armed guards. The woman was as tall as any man and twice as wide - she was all muscle though.

"I'm Rose," she barked, "and this is mah station." She didn't ask for names, but launched right into her speech. "Yar captain is payin' for use o' mah dock so ya're free to wander. Don't cause no trouble. If ya do, I'll see it and ya'll pay." She didn't bother explaining what trouble was either and her tone made it clear there was no point in asking - 'trouble' would be anything that upset Rose that particular day.

Rose took a moment to examine the group and her gaze lingered on the beautiful Athena and the pretty (and rather petite) Xiao. "Ya're ta take care of ya own," she said "Don't com' complainin' if someone steals yar women." Then, in a tone that carried a slight personal interest, she said: "If either of ya is a Companion lookin' for work, com' see ma."

With that, Rose apparently considered introductions done and she began to move back into the station proper. The guards likewise turned and, making sure Harmony's crew got a last good look at their very nice guns, began vacating the hallway.

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

Jake - Edgy Weapons Expert

"'Bit pushy if you ask me." Mumbled Jake as Rose left them behind. "Do we look like people that would cause trouble purposely?

"Don't answer that... 'm still tired..."

Jake rubbed his temples slowly, trying to ward off the sleep threatening to overtake him.

"So, where to now? I don't like the idea of us walkin' off on our own here, so can we try sticking together? Or at least in pairs? That woman does not exactly strike me as someone that would be pleasant to deal with, 'specially on one's own."

Atlanta

"The Alliance - as a whole - shouldn't be after you." Atlanta replied, "Only my betrothed would be, if he knew I was on board."

A wry smirk appeared,

"And I don't think his superiors would authorise use of Alliance resources on such a personal matter as recovering his intended. Especially one that has no real value or interest to those in power."

Teela

Teela nodded at that assessment. She didn't know if it was correct, but at least the girl didn't intend to get them in trouble.

"That's good then," she simply said. "As you were." With that, she exited the room and left Atlanta to her privacy again.

((If Atlanta hurries, she can catch up with the other characters standing just outside the lock.))

Xiao

Xiao considered the rather brusque introduction from Rose. She had wanted to set out for medical supplies, but as dedicated pacifist she recognized the value of staying out of trouble.

"We could go to the Rec Room." She cast a doubtful glance down the shadowy hallway. "I'm sure they have a Rec Room. Somewhere."

Athena watched as Rose, who was anything but the flower, stomped towards them like a beast of a woman and said a few standard things. The companions visage remained the same even at the mention of if she or Xiao were a companion to come see her. Her skin almost crawled at that thought, she was a companion not a common w hore.

She listened to the others plans, "Or at least a bar," She added, "besides Jake, if I do recall you owe me a drink." She had not plan of actually drinking but she would not be wondering off too far from the men in the group, she could take on a single person but if she were to be cornered by several she knew nothing good could come from it.

Edited by XxWaterGaridanxX

[she may just do that....]

Atlanta

After Teela left, Atlanta took a few seconds to gather her thoughts and compose herself. Then she quickly walked through the now-empty and quiet ship towards the docking bay.

She had no particular plans, she just needed to spend some time outside the ship. Cabin fever was - as far as she was aware - was not a pleasant thing to experience. Though, she reflected, I suppose that is why there's viewports on board ships... so you don't feel contained.

Her faster than normal pace allowed her to catch up to the rest of the crew while they were discussing where to go to spend their impromptu downtime.

Jake didn't recall saying that he owed Athena a drink, though he did say that they'd have to go for one. He thought that he'd buy a few rounds for her anyway. After talking to her a bit while traveling here, he had grown to like the companion, and was actually remembering her name. For some reason remembering names was always easier for him if he fought next to the person.

"I guess I do." Jake replied. "After a few drinks though, and after I've woken up a bit, we're gonna be playing a few games of pool or somethin' to see who buys for the rest of the trip."

Jay - off-duty Pilot - Looking for a bar

After Rose had left, he mumbled: "Pf. If someone steals our women, we won't complain. We'll hunt them down and kill them. If the women don't beat us to it."

When the hallway was clear again and all members of the crew were accounted for, his face lit up and a grin spread across his face. "OK. So, let's go look for a nice waterin' hole. I'm buyin' the first round. Just cus' we're alive an' all."

He set off into the space station in a confident pace. He pointed at the first bar he laid eyes on. Amongst the many neon signs with promises of all kinds of beverages and 'services', a tacky neon sign of a triangle filled with pool balls was clearly visible above the door. "There." Jay stretched his head sideways and a popping sound came from his neck. "Let's go."

And with the same donfident stride, he entered the saloon.

Xiao eyed the saloon warily. At a glance she counted 23 customers, 2 bartenders and 3 corners people could be hiding behind. Not good odds if there was trouble. Still, she was intent on getting that medicine and that meant making contact with the locals.

Following Jay inside, she pointed to the only empty table left. It was round and its legs were uneven, causing it to wobble. The chairs weren't in much better condition - there was a reason it was the only table left. Still, it would do.

Several of the men let out appreciative whistles as Xiao and Atlanta entered. The room fell briefly silent when Athena came in, as honest appreciation overcame lecherousness. Of course, it lasted on a second and then the companion, too, was greeted by catcalls.

"I don't play pool," Xiao said, "so I'll go get the drinks." Perhaps the bartenders could tell her where to buy medical supplies in this little stretch of nowhere.

"Okay, after the first round I'll buy your drinks." Jake amended to Athena.

As they entered the bar, Jake looked over it quickly. Not very dirty yet it couldn't exactly be called clean, grubby looking customers for the most part, and somewhat shabby furnishings.

"I'm gonna' need a while to be awake enough for pool, so I'll help ya'." Jake said to Xiao, casting a nasty glare at the catcallers.

Though the glare alone didn't shut them up, it showed that he was serious when his hand brushed his prominent gun ominously. The action stopped them from staring and whistling at the women, but it still didn't deter them from stealing glances.

Atlanta

The state of the bar didn't inspire confidence, and the glances and calls that came their way really didn't help.

While not exactly a wilting violet, Atlanta did have an image to maintain. That of a socially awkward scientist.

It wasn't that hard to feign, she had been relatively sheltered for most of her life - so she wasn't used to the openly lecherous attention.

Definitely need to stick near the guys...... or at least in pairs, Atlanta resolved and as Xiao and Jake went to get the drinks, she moved closer to the remaining members of the Harmony crew.

Companion- Athena

Athena was trained to do anything and be the perfect companion that everyone expected her to be.

She walked in behind everyone eyeing the shadows in the corners and the scantily clad women practically throwing themselves at the men.

Then there was the silence, it was strange to hear the clang of beer mugs over the people for a moment. But then again it is what happened when a companion like her entered a place like this. Looking around at the awe in the men's faces, she was dressed simply but that made no difference, they knew. It only lasted for a moment until the catcalls resumed, louder than before. But stopped just as it had started as Jake cast one of his glares. She was thankful for that.

She saw the table that Xiao had mentioned, it was truly in poor condition and not close to one of the four pool tables. So she decided to 'ask' for another.

Walking deeper into the bar, her boots clicking on the wooden floors, she spotted a pool game that looked about finished the only thing left was the black eight ball that the three, slightly buzzed, players just couldn't seem to hit into the pockets as well as a couple other of what she assumed were their friends sitting at a nicer round table next to the pool table, jeering at them while they drank.

Removing her lace shall from her head as she neared, she smiled with her red lips at the looks she was now receiving from the men of the group who saw that she was headed for them. They paused their game as she reached the space between the table and pool table.

"Hello gentlemen." She said in a purring voice giving each one of them a glance before resting her eyes on who she assumed was the leader as he had the nerves to step forward and even remove his hat, "I was wondering if me and my crew mates could have this table and lovely pool table of yours?" She asked as she picked up a pool stick from leaning on the table and spun it in her hands once.

"Well ma'am-" the gruff bearded man coughed and before he could finish another, younger man interrupted, "No! We ain't done here yet! Just cause-" the older man quieted him by hitting him hard on the back.

"Sorry about him Miss. But-"

They seemed like polite enough men, "You seem like nice men, what if I tell you I could hit the 8 ball into the top left corner of the pool table right now? Would you allow me to then have the tables?" She asked with another smile.

"She can't get that!" Said the younger one.

The men sitting laughed. But the captain of the crew new better, "Sure." He mumbled as he scratched the back of his head.

The companion was getting a lot of looks now, they have never seen a companion play pool before. Taking her pool stick she looked at the black ball and planned it out in her head she was getting to hit it once on the side of the table at about a fifty degree angle before going into the pocket. Leaning over the table, practically feeling the mens eyes on her, she steadied her hands and with one smooth shot she hit the ball. It went into the pocket smoothly.

Smiling she turned to the men, "Thank you for the table boys." She said as the leader of the group and the younger one put their sticks on the table. The older man reaching his hand out to shake the companions, she took it firmly.

The older man looked in awe as if he had not expected them to ever touch before leaving.

"And that ladies and gentlemen is how it's done." She said to herself as she leaned against the pool table with a satisfied smile as she waited for the rest of the crew to come over.

After making their order, Jake leaned against the bar to wait for their drinks. As was his habit, he continued scanning the faces of those in the bar for anything that may be suspicious. As he looked, he couldn't help but see how Athena handled herself to get the table... And how she was quite good at pool. He might just have to buy all of her drinks all night if she kept playing like that.

((OOOOH!!! Guys! Big news! Guess what?!

(hint, it has something to do with firefly)))

Jay - Pilot off duty - About to play some pool... at last -

Jay walked in the saloon as if the rest of the customers didn't matter to him. As he looked around for a table, he scanned the room for trouble as well. Satisfied that there was no immediate threat, ignoring the catcalls, secure in the knowledge that his teammates were far better at dealing with that sort of thing, he spotted the same pool table as Athena. She beat him to it, though, and he watched with growing awe how she freed up the table for the crew of Harmony.

By the time the men left, Jay was grinning widely. He approached Athena and commented: "Masterful." with sincere appreciation in his voice. "You handle a stick very well." As he picked up a cue stick for himself to see whether it was straight enough to play a decent game with, he realised what he had said. "Sorry, that came out all wrong. I meant to say you are a very talented pool player. Wanna join?"

He hoped the foot in his mouth hadn't offended the comapnion.

((What? What? WHAT?))

Edited by Biologist

Nelson smiled as he watched Athena's masterful play. To be honest, it wasn't that difficult a shot, but those men were probably on a lower skill level when it comes to pool. He chuckled quietly as Jay spoke. Walking over and grabbing a pool cue of his own he happily patted Jay's back.

"And that is why you don't have a girlfriend Jay," Nelson said. He then examined the pool cue of his own, it was shorter than those he was used to but that wouldn't impede on his ability to play.

He looked up at the others, "If you get the game set up, I'll buy the first round?" He suggested, looking at them expectantly.

((EDIT: Ahh, you're talking about Firefly Online))

Edited by Marcus Pheonix

Satisfied companion- Athena

Athena truly wasn't a master at pool, that just wasn't a hard shot, anyone with half a brain could have made that shot but she was glad that Jay had noticed. The companions eyes widened in surprise when he complemented her a second time but he didn't seem to notice.

She couldn't help but chuckle when he didn't know what he said until a few seconds later. "I know what you ment Jay, and for a round I'll play." She smiled again at Nelson's comment, "I would set up but I don't recall how the beginning set up goes. Besides I think Jay or Xiao are buying rounds." She said looking for the two of them at the bar, leaning her pool stick against the table as she kept her hands busy by beginning to take all of the balls out of the pockets... There were so many more innuendos that she knew Jay would possibly stumble into.

((No it's not the online... Wait, what? There's an online game?! *Freaks out*

Not as cool as my news though tongue.gif ))

Jake

When the alcohol was brought forward, Jake, took most of the mugs in his hands with some difficulty, and made his way to the table.

"Okay people, who wants what?" Jake asked, setting the drinks down on the table.

There were a small variety in the drinks, but nothing fancy. Jake thought he'd be the gentleman and let the others take their pick first though.

((Jason Palmer is going to the Edmonton comic expo (My home town)!))

(((Yes, online game. I've heard a lot of fans say that it's just a generic space game with Firefly-style visuals, but none of the background. Haven't tried it myself though.

Jason Palmer, cool! He did storyboards for both Firefly and BSG, right?))

Xiao was duly impressed by Athena's confiscation of the table. It certainly beat the rickety table she had found. She took a moment to speak to the bartender in private as Jake carried the drinks out, then rejoined the group.

"I have the name and description of someone selling medical supplies. Black market. She's not in yet, but I'm going to talk to her when she arrives." With that, she selected the drink with the lowest alcohol content - alcohol did not mix well with the variety of uppers and downers Xiao was always on.

((I don't know about that, but I know he is Captain Malcolm Reynolds))

((I saw Morena Baccarin at Supanova, and last year Sean Maher and Summer Glau (the tams) were there, didn't see them though cause the day I went Summer was sick and it was at the same time as Robert Baratheon and Brom))

Nelson looked over at the drinks Jake had brought, compared to his usual most of it was pretty light.

He lifted up one bottle and had a close look at it and shrugged, he played better with a bit of liquor flowing through him so he may as well drink it.

"Couldn't have got a nice cocktail Jakey?" Nelson jokingly asked. They were much more common in the central systems but occasionally Nelson liked an alteration to his pallet.

He then began setting up the pool table.

((EDIT: Shouldn't that be in the OOC thread oh Cap'n? laugh.gif ))

Edited by Marcus Pheonix