Mistress of Whispers

[IC thread] In the Black

Athena- Cmpanion- her shuttle

Athena gave the doctor a small smile, "Always welcome Xiao." And with that she swiftly left the uncomfortably lit room and headed to her shuttle wanting nothing more than to meditate and have a cup of tea to calm her nerves.

She door opened with a shifting sound and she closed and locked the door. If anyone wanted to find her they all knew where she would be. The shuttle was her scantuary and she was always thankful for that fact. She started to brew some tea and quickly stow away the revolver after the lack of use she was happy to know it had not been needed.

And with that thought she began to meditate on the small space of floor covered by rugs, her mind wondering back to the smiling little girl in the picture.

Jay - Pilot - Cockpit

Jay was surprised by the cockpit doors opening. He thought Atlanta would have locked them by now. Expecting another raider, his instincts flared, adrenalin pumped through his body and he prepared to rush the unknown out of the cockpit and into the hallway, hopefully landing him on his back, knocking the wind out of him before he could discharge his weapon... he also noticed Atlanta standing to the side of the door frame. Another tactical advantage.

Then he recognised the Captain and relaxed. Obviously the ship was firmly under her control again. For a split second he feared a pirate behind her holding her hostage at gunpoint, but she was alone.

"Hi there, Captain." He shot her a grin. He greeted the captain to let Atlanta know it was a friendly, so she would refrain from the ambush she had planned. "Harmony is ready to fly out of this hornet's nest on your command. We just need to dump some garbage before we leave." He motioned to the pirate on the floor.

"How's the rest?"

Edited by Biologist

Atlanta - in ambush next to door

In her position, Atlanta was tensed up in preparation. It seemed the unlocked door ploy had worked, the person entering didn't look concerned or battle ready to her untrained eye.

Still she hesitated to move, she was no fighter by any means, and that would put her at a disadvantage - once surprise had worn off.

Jay beat her to the punch, at least as far as initial reactions went.

At his greeting, Atlanta relaxed, unconsciously letting out the breath she hadn't realised she was holding. The captain wasn't a threat - meaning her hastily thought of plan wasn't needed.

Her dagger peeked out from between her fingers, now she wasn't holding it in a death grip from tension.

Of course, her overall position would still look odd - for a supposed scientist.

Teela, cockpit

"Hi there, Jay," Teela returned the pilot's greeting. The she turned her gaze to Atlanta standing ready next to the door: "Glad to see both of you are well, Miss Ward." Her eyes briefly flickered to the knife, but she made no comment of it.

"Cargo bay and dining hall are clear. I'm going to check the engine room next. After that, we'll do a sweep in case we missed any of them, but it looks like we got the better of them."

Teela debated telling Jay to check the cortex for info on the raiders' shuttle. If it wasn't linked to any crimes, they could sell it for a tidy profit. But that would leave her with a bunch of raiders on board that she'd have to outright kill (and she wasn't a murderer), or drop somewhere and that was really more trouble than they were worth. Right now, she was leaning to tossing them all back in the shuttle and dumping it in space; let the Bernard pick them up. She didn't fret it though, as she still had time to make a decision. The engine room was the only major place to check left and after that, they needed to check the sleeping quarters in case any raiders snuck past them. And *then* she'd decide what to do with them.

"Anything to report, Jay?" Teela inquired. Before she left for the engine room, she needed to know that the cockpit held no further surprises.

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

Jay looked at Teela with some annoyance. "Anything to report? That Yi Da Tuo Da Bian of a Bernard almost crippled us. Thanks to Miss Miracle Math here we were able to avoid most of the flying stones. I fixed most of the wirin' problems, rerouted some, shut others down when I had to. Ya might have to wait a while for yer next shower, but we have power and life support. There is some minor damage that definitely needs repairin' if we want to keep flyin', but nothing vital or immediate. We are good to go for full burst, if my instruments are still reliably telling me the truth of the ship status."

He looked at Teela expectantly.

"The sooner the better if y'ask me, Captain."

Edited by Biologist

Teela, going from cock pit to engine room

Teela looked at Jay long and hard for a moment. She didn't like the tone he used with her, but she admitted he had a right to frayed nerves and she wasn't one to pull rank needlessly. She decided to let it slide, this time, but made a mental note of it.

Turning, she nodded to Atlanta in acknowledgement of a good job and returned to the dining room; which was absolutely empty - apparently Athena had taken care of Suren.

Moving carefully, Mare's leg still in hand, she made her way through the aft passage to the engine room. Before she was even halfway, she could hear Nelson and Jake talking in their usual mix between rivalry and easy banter. Nelson liked to keep things close to his chest, so she couldn't be absolutely sure about him, but she knew that Jake wouldn't stand around to chat if the ship wasn't cleared first.

"Nelson? Jake?" she called out, not wanting to catch either by surprise.

Nelson engine room

Nelson looked past Jake towards the entrance and smiled at Teela.

"We're all good in here cap, talk out the last of them baddies just prior to Jake's entering," He said. He looked over his shoulder back at the body of the legless pirate and contorted his face in revulsion.

"We got ol' legless there, and I think Xiao took the unconscious one down to the med bay," He said, thoughtfully. He rubbed his forehead, the adrenaline had been a good suppressant but now that the danger had passed his head was beginning to ache.

"Speaking o' meds, I wonder if shes got a bottle of aspirin down there for me... or am I needed to perform some amazing mechanics so we can get this rustbucket to it's destination?" He asked smiling politely at Teela.

Teela, engine room

Teela shook her head at Nelson's assessment: "No, I passed an unconscious raider in the aft passage. He was propped up and taken care of, but not in the infirmary."

Considering Nelson's request, Teela picked up the intercom and called the cockpit: "Jay, I want you to manouever us in between two rocks. Somewhere our friends have no room to turn if that shuttle stuck on our ass should suddenly detach. Just give me a moment to set things up. Do you need Nelson here or can he help me?" Teela was strong enough to lift one of the raiders, but there were a bunch of them spread out over the ship and she'd really like to send them all back home.

Xiao, infirmary

Xiao looked around with a very small measure of satisfaction. Suren was taken care of and no longer unconscious, though she had fallen asleep. The medbay was cleaned up and, thanks to her meticulously neat cabinet system, only three vials of medicine had broken. She set Nelson's bottle of aspirin (though she suspected other crewmembers used it too and, strictly speaking, it wasn't reserved for the engineer alone) on its usual counter and surveyed the room. All done.

The comm crackled when Jay answered. "Understood, Captain. I'll make sure their shuttle needs an extra dimension to get free. The engines are still working, so I won't need Nelson's help for this. Jay out."

Not long after, Harmony started to hum to life again, indicating movement. Or at least thruster power.

Jay tentatively flew back towards the edge of the asteroid field and looked for a spot to box in the intruder's shuttle. It wasn't an easy task, for he needed a place where the shuttle couldn't maneuver while at the same time keeping Harmony out of harm's way from the tumbling rocks in the dead of space. Preferrably a single asteroid.

It took a moment, before he spotted the perfect asteroid and made for it, keeping as many rocks between Harmony and the Bernard as he possibly could. Gently taking up position near the surface, with the shuttle boxed in by a shallow vale, Jay smiled. They'd need a new dimension indeed!

Now he just needed to make sure the spot on the surface wasn't hit by another rock tumbling through the chaos of the asteroid field. They weren't out of danger yet...

Atlanta - Cockpit

Automatically Atlanta returned Teela's nod, and moved back to the secondary console. Only then did she remember the dagger still in her hand.

Quickly she sheathed it, and keeping one eye on the bound raider and the other on the screen took up a lookout.

Both to make sure the raider stayed down, and to make sure no more rocks hit the hull.

Teela - engine room, soon to be picking raiders off the ship

"Allright," Teela acknowledged Jay's report even as she already turned and addressed Nelson. "Help me carry them them back to the shuttle and then you can go get your aspirin."

Not inherently a violent woman, Teela saw no reason to kill the raiders now that they were defeated. Nor did she think it was wise to keep their shuttle, even if exceedingly valuable, for it was no doubt tied to other crimes and wanted by the Alliance. The best thing to do then, was to toss all the raiders back into their shuttle and set them adrift. If they could do so in a way that slowed down the Bernard, then all the better.

Leaving the dead, legless raider to Nelson, Teela walked back out and hauled the unconscious raider in the aft passage up under his arm pits. Slinging him over her shoulder, she began walking him back to the dining room.

Nelson nodded and bent down, picking up the raider, hefting him onto his shoulder with little difficulty. Grinning he reached down and picked up the severed leg and chucked it towards Jake.

"Here you go, maybe you could use it for golf" He said, chuckling. Though as he began to follow Teela he grew increasingly conscious of the blood still dripping out of the raiders missing leg.

"We may be letting them live for now, but are you sure we shouldn't just get rid of this one? If we leave him with the others hes likely to rot, and being in close proximity to a rotting corpse doesn't have many health benefits," He said, absentmindedly watching a drop of blood fall onto his shoe and grimacing.

"Also hes gonna smell real bad, and I don't even think the shuttle doors will keep that out, the others'll probably suffocate," he said. Nelson grimaced and placed his hand on his forehead, he quickly increased his pace.

"Let's hurry it up a bit cap, this headaches killing me".

Teela, dining room

Teela considered Nelson's objection, then nodded. No point in leaving the raiders with their life if she then gave them the plague (or whatever you caught from dead bodies - she'd have to ask Xiao). "We'll send the live raiders off in their shuttle, then dump the dead in space."

She stopped in the dining room and gestured to the cockpit.

Jake, brief stop in cockpit

Getting the captain's gist, Jake quickly dashed into the cockpit. "Mornin' miss Atlanta," he greeted the passenger before turning to the pilot: "Nice flying, Jay." With that, he slung the tied up raider over his shoulder and rejoined Nelson and Teela.

Teela, cargo bay catwalk

Standing at the top of the catwalk, Teela briefly considered throwing the raider down to save herself the carry. She supposed that would defeat her intention of leaving him alive though, so she sighed and began walking down with the limp body hanging over her shoulder. Stupid raiders had grown fat from all their easy pickings, she thought darkly.

Athena- catwalk towards loading dock

It didn't take long for the companions pulse to slow to its normal rythmic pace and she opened her blue eyes to see that her tea wasn't even ready yet. So she sighed and stood, maybe the excitement hadn't unnerved her as much as she had thought. After all this is what she wanted right?

Before exiting the shuttle she slipped of the over skirt she had used to hide the revolver and stepped out just in time to see the captain hulling a man over her shoulder down to what she assumed was the intruding ship.

Athena admired Teela, she was a head strong woman who knew what she wanted and how to get it, yet she captained the ship with almost a motherly like skill. She wondered if the captain had ever thought of settling down.

"Do you need any assistance Captain?" She asked as she started down towards the loading dock as well.

Teela, cargo bay

Teela hesitated for a moment. Athena has already gone above and beyond, and she was a passenger. Then she decided that now was not the time to be polite - she needed these idiot raiders in their ship and out of her way asap.

"If you can lend a hand, we're dumping them back in that shuttle. The ones that are still alive, that is. We'll do them the courtesy of not leaving them stranded with their dead."

Making her way down, she walked straight to the shuttle and unceremoniously dumped the first raider inside. Well, the second raider really, since she had left the pilot tied up in the small cockpit earlier. Looking back at the cargo bay, she picked up the moaning raider (wussy!) near the lock doors and began dragging him inside too.

Nelson re-adjusted the dead raider on his shoulder and then proceeded to hurl him down from atop the catwalk. Unlike Teela the only reason he would need to keep the raider okay would be so that he didn't spill too much blood, but it appeared the raider had already lost the majority.

Nelson winced slightly as the fall managed to shake a fairly large amount out of the body. He quickly hurried down, nodding as Athena as he went. Walking over to a panel on the wall he opened up the trash shoot in the center of the cargo bay. Nelson walked back over to the body and quickly hefted it up and into the shoot.

"Hey Cap, do you know if there're any more people who didn't make it? Also wheres Jake? I gave him that leg," Nelson looked back up the catwalk for Jake, obviously he'd been lagging behind. The fact that the overweight engineer and the less physically capable Teela had made it before him was somewhat amusing.

Athena nodded, she liked to keep herself busy in any way possible and wasn't surprised when the dull clang of a body landed on the floor below the catwalk. She slightly grimaced but tried not to let it show as Nelson passed. She game him a slight nod back as she too started towards the raider that she had knocked out.

"Nelson, there is a dead raider that Jake took care of. I think he's just behind those crates." She said motioning her chin to the other side of the cargo bay just as she took hold of both the mans arms and dragged him towards the other ship, moving slow but steady.

"By the gods what do these raiders eat? Bricks for breakfast?" She asked in a slightly strained voice to no one in particular. She was a companion after all, agile and strong, but she was not a weight lifter.

Teela & Jake, Cargo Bay

"You're cleaning that, Nelson," Teela commented as she saw the spray of blood on the cargo bay floor.

"And I'm right here," Jake said as he popped out from behind another stack of crates, "Why do you ask?". He had already deposited the first raider near the shuttle and was now carrying two others.

Kneeling to pick up her third raider, Teela grimaced; the intruder had bled out by now. Sighing, the began to drag the heavy body towards the trash shute.

((Figured it wasn't exactly fair to have Jake lag behind merely because I forgot to post for Nararth wink.gif.))

Nelson looked at Jake, scratching the back of his head.

"I swear I gave you that dead guys leg... I might have left it up in the engine bay?" He asked himself. He then moved over to Teela and picked up the corpse she was struggling to move.

"Don't worry about this boy Cap'n I'll take him. You get onto your important duties," He said, removing the captains grip and hurling the corpse into the shoot.

"Leave that open for a bit, I'm gonna go and find the leg. I don't want it stinking up my engine room," He said.

After a couple of short minutes Nelson returned from the engine room, the dismembered leg hanging loosely in his grip. He casually chucked it into the shoot and closed it. Nelson then pulled out a bucket and mop and began washing off the blood from the floor, whistling happily.

Athena gave one last groan and shoved the unconscious man into the shuttle with the rest of them, dusting off her hands on her pants and closing the ships door behind her as she was the last one out but not closing their shuttle doors as she wanted to leave that for the captain to do.

Nelson's almost obnoxious whistling made her glance at the floors hull as she started up the stairs the slowly fading crimson color was only slightly disturbing. In almost a teasing voice she said, "You missed a spot." She pointed behind the engineer with a slight smile only wishing to add to Nelson's, slightly creepy, happy mood.

Nelson turned to Athena his eyebrow raised.

"Come on now I thought Comapnions were supposed to be able to get a man to do whatever they wanted, but that seemed a little weak. If you want me to do more work so I can show off my amazing body," He mockingly made a pose, sticking his gut out as he did so.

"I can just pick up this bucket full of blood and take it up to your shuttle and see how long it takes to scrub out of all the fancy stuff in your room," Nelson finished, smiling evilly at Athena.

"Actually that's a great idea, there's probably lots of red stuff in their, be a nice way to get rid of all of this much without people noticing," Nelson said, cheerfully snapping his fingers. He then began quickly, and deliberately moving up towards the shuttle bay.

Teela cargo bay

Closing the shuttle doors, Teela was in the process of also closing the lock doors when Nelson commented about painting the shuttle red.

Without looking up from the key pad, the captain commented: "Nelson, that's both disgusting and creepy. Also, you are not to pester paying guests." Then, since the cargo bay was clean, she added: "And didn't you want to see a certain medic about your medicine? Dump the bucket out in the garbage chute before you go, please."

With the cargo doors finally secure, Teela picked up the intercom and called the cockpit. "Jay, the shuttle is in place. Let me know when to drop it." She hoped that would solve both raiders problems in one swoop as dumping the shuttle straight in their path would force the Bernard to break off.

Jay - Anxious pilot - Cockpit

Jay had been waiting for Teela to tell him to get off of the asteroid. He had been anxiously watching the trajectories of the other tumbling rocks, to see if he needed to make a quick getaway and was relieved to finaly leave the scene of the accident-waiting-to-happen.

Without much delay, he fired up the thrusters to maneuver through the void of space and guided Harmony away out of the asteroid field again. Proximity alerts went off and his monitors told him that he was being targeted again. "Hold on." he said to no-one in particular, and he opened up the aft burners to get some momentum.

"We have cleared the field, captain. You can release the shuttle whenever you are ready. Standing by for your command for full burn. Destination: nearest docking port for repairs?"

He wasn't too keen on repairs, but the prospect of getting some off-duty time port-side was appealing.

Edited by Biologist

Teela, cargo bay

At Jay's signal, Teela hit the button to override the lock and drop the raider's shuttle. Thanks to Jay's fancy flying, the little craft landed smack in the middle of the Bernard's path. Forced to slow down, either to take the shuttle back on board of simply to avoid a collision, the larger freighter could no longer keep up with the Firefly as it sped away.

Grinning happily, Teela made a gesture of dusting her hands.

"Take us to the nearest friendly port for repairs, Jay. Atlanta, thank you for all your help. Could you help Jay navigate a little longer?" she spoke to the cockpit over the intercom.

Then she turned to the companion: "Thank you for your endeavors. I'll refund part of your rent for the trouble."

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

Athena felt slightly off balance by the comments made by Nelson, did he expect her to be a manipulative temptress to all men that she met? She had simply been wanting to lighten the mood but that ship crashed with no survivors.

Just as she had been trained to do her true emotions were hidden so all Nelson would see a was the prefect face of a companion looking back at him with one slightly raised brow. Thankfully before she replied the captain intervened and she couldn't have agreed more with her.

She was just about to go back to her shuttle, she wanted to get dressed to go outside of this ship, when the Captain spoke to her. She paused and smiled slightly, "It's alright Captain, you deserve the money, you handled the whole thing with the fierceness of a warrior and the grace of a companion."