solarflare3000

Insects

I don't understand why but some people don't count insects as animals. This makes it seem like they are aliens or something. True, insects function differently from humans and other animals, but, they originated on earth just like every other thing that lives here so they count as animals. what do you think?

Edited by solarflare3000

Why not just let insects be insects? It's nothing but a category just like animals and humans and fishes and birds. It helps people to categorize differend kind of things

Of course they're animals

I don't understand why people don't consider them animals

I also don't really know why people dislike them so much, there's nothing to be afraid of, like most of them can't even do anything to you (and the ones that CAN do things to you generally won't unless you aggravate them) and you're WAY bigger than them (and they're not the ones killing YOU because they don't like the way you look, and even besides that you can very well be afraid of something without hating and killing it) :c

((general "you" |D))

I like all insects a whole lot but cicadas are my most favorite c:

Edited by Pika_Oi

Of course they're animals. If it belongs in Animalia, it's an animal. Even sponges and corals are animals.

True, there are those categories. But every living thing ultimately leads up to being an animal or plant. Insects are obviously animals, not plants.

As long as the bug doesn't bite, sting, scratch, pinch, etc.- I'll hold it.

Not everything is an animal or a plant. There are also bacteria, fungi, and some others that I can't remember.

I'll admit, I've been mean to bugs in the past, but some insects I like include butterflies, grasshoppers, and praying mantises, I also like big beetles as long as they do't bite me. I do mess with grasshoppers every once in a while and I catch bugs to feed to praying mantises. I also mess with ants and I don't like flies.

Oh, and never let a cat near a cicada, or a duck for that matter. They'll eat it.

Btw, has anyone here ever eaten a bug? Some cultures eat bugs all the time! I've never eaten one, if you don't count a ladybug when I was two! laugh.gif

Btw, has anyone here ever eaten a bug? Some cultures eat bugs all the time! I've never eaten one, if you don't count a ladybug when I was two! laugh.gif

I am used to eat pupa of silkworm.

Edited by sh20000sh

Oh, and never let a cat near a cicada, or a duck for that matter. They'll eat it.

Oh my gosh. When I was reaaaally little, probably two, ladybugs made a nest in my house. I'd just sit there chomping on any I could reach, and that solved the ladybug problem. I also ate a bee once when I was three. I've never eaten a bug since, and I don't plan to. I've heard grasshoppers are nutritious, though.

Anyone saying that just has no clue what they are talking about.

Insects are animals. Coral are animals. -sponges- are animals.

...I have literally never heard that from anyone and to people who hold this opinion, all I have to say is

??????????

I guess sometimes people think groups including themselves are more exclusive than they actually are. A degree of self-centeredness is necessary for survival but this is just. What.

Edited by Fractional Pi Day

Could you go easy on the punctuation? It's very obnoxious to stretch the screen.

They're animals. Doesn't mean I like them. I'm highly insectophobic.

Oh my gosh. When I was reaaaally little, probably two, ladybugs made a nest in my house. I'd just sit there chomping on any I could reach, and that solved the ladybug problem. I also ate a bee once when I was three. I've never eaten a bug since, and I don't plan to. I've heard grasshoppers are nutritious, though.

When I was two, I put a ladybug in my mouth but I spit it out. I think. But I could never imagine eating a nestful of them! blink.gif

I can imagine eating a well prepared grasshopper or some fried worms. I like to try new foods! biggrin.gif I think I know why people don't eat ladybugs! They taste horrible! I've heard that they have some type of chemical on them that tastes and smells bad. That's why they have little, if any, predators.

I like animals. If you ask me about most types of animals, I'l probably know some sort of fact about them.

Edited by solarflare3000

Yeah, if you smash a ladybug (Not that I do on purpose, but accidents happen...) it smells awful! wacko.gif

People often 'dehumanize' certain kinds of animals so it is easier to rationalize killing/abusing them. To a lot of uneducated people, being seen as an "animal" is in itself an insult; to categorize something even lower than that is pretty much putting it on par with plants or non-living things. It's easier to crush earthworms after a rainstorm, pull wings off a fly, and pour salt on a snail when the object of your wrath is not an "animal".

Similarly, uneducated people may see the word "animal" synonymous with furry, four-legged, warm-blooded, etc. types of creatures, and just classify everything else by its general name. A dog and a cat are animals, but fish are fish, birds are birds, and stuff.

Ah yeah, I'm like that. Fish aren't animals in my head, they're fish. Bugs are bugs

I have some relatively bad entomophobia. I don't pass out from seeing insects, but the mere thought of them makes me feel like there's something crawling on me. And whenever I see one in my room and fail to get someone to crush it for me, I worry endlessly that it's going to return later. Not fun :/ (It doesn't help that my mom is always trying to get me to squash bugs for her *Shudders* )

Of course they are animals.

Still gonna squish them mind. I hate all insects except Butterflies and Ladybirds.

I believe that if it is a living thing and not a plant, it must be an animal.

There are 5 main animal groups

Fish

Mammals

Reptiles

Amphibians

Insects

See? Insects are one of the types!

I don't think anyone is arguing that they aren't animals. However, when you say "animal" the first thing that comes to mind is generally a mammal, possibly a reptile or amphibian. Basically never a fish or an insect (Also, are you saying birds aren't animals? Because I don't think they fit into any of those groups)

People don't not think insects are animals. They just don't automatically count them up alongside dogs. They do the same with fish and birds (and humans for that matter), that doesn't make fish or birds any less animals, does it? And even more so, people will often call things by even more common names. Not to keep them from being animals, or mammals, or reptiles, just because they do

If you really want this argument to be that we should always think of insects as being type of animal. Then we always have to think of dogs as being a type of mammal (Which most people don't. They know that they are, but they still think of dogs being "dogs")

In general, what I've encountered is the following:

Animal Group Name - Common Name - Slightly Uneducated Name (generally something in the group)

Fish - Fish - Fish

Mammals - Mammals - Animals

Reptiles - Reptiles - Lizards

Amphibians - Amphibians - Frogs

Insects - Bugs - Bugs

I've heard all of these names in reference to the above groups. The second is what I hear the most, and the third is generally from people I need to correct. I've met a lot of people who think amphibian means frog, as well as many who only think of things with fur as being animals (it's actually quite astounding considering the small number of people I've met)

And aside from the latter group, who generally just have bad terminology and generally consider anything not a plant to be an animal as well (they just don't think about it when they're saying "animal"), I've never encountered anyone who wouldn't think an insect was an animal

According to my biology teacher today, all living things are classified under four categories: Animals, plants, fungi, and protists. Since insects aren't plants, fungi, or protists, they must be animals.

Insects are cool. I absolutely adore moths.

I believe that if it is a living thing and not a plant, it must be an animal.

There are 5 main animal groups

Fish

Mammals

Reptiles

Amphibians

Insects

See? Insects are one of the types!

Where do you classify birds, bacteria, archaea, corals, sponges, spiders, scorpions, jellyfish, ticks, fungi, etc.?

I don't think anyone is arguing that they aren't animals. However, when you say "animal" the first thing that comes to mind is generally a mammal, possibly a reptile or amphibian. Basically never a fish or an insect (Also, are you saying birds aren't animals? Because I don't think they fit into any of those groups)

People don't not think insects are animals. They just don't automatically count them up alongside dogs. They do the same with fish and birds (and humans for that matter), that doesn't make fish or birds any less animals, does it? And even more so, people will often call things by even more common names. Not to keep them from being animals, or mammals, or reptiles, just because they do

If you really want this argument to be that we should always think of insects as being type of animal. Then we always have to think of dogs as being a type of mammal (Which most people don't. They know that they are, but they still think of dogs being "dogs")

In general, what I've encountered is the following:

Animal Group Name - Common Name - Slightly Uneducated Name (generally something in the group)

Fish - Fish - Fish

Mammals - Mammals - Animals

Reptiles - Reptiles - Lizards

Amphibians - Amphibians - Frogs

Insects - Bugs - Bugs

I've heard all of these names in reference to the above groups. The second is what I hear the most, and the third is generally from people I need to correct. I've met a lot of people who think amphibian means frog, as well as many who only think of things with fur as being animals (it's actually quite astounding considering the small number of people I've met)

And aside from the latter group, who generally just have bad terminology and generally consider anything not a plant to be an animal as well (they just don't think about it when they're saying "animal"), I've never encountered anyone who wouldn't think an insect was an animal

Oops, sorry, I'm not saying birds aren't animals. How could I? They make too much noise to be a plant. xd.png

Where do you classify birds, bacteria, archaea, corals, sponges, spiders, scorpions, jellyfish, ticks, fungi, etc.?

Other than birds, all those other critters are either in a sub group or a category all on it's own. Jellyfish, I don't know what to call them. Invertebrate? Bacteria, well, those are technically animals. But I think they are in a group all on it's own but not in the animal kingdom. scorpions are in a group along with spiders. ticks are in the insect group. Idk why you don't think so. Coral goes with a jellyfish. Fungi I think are in the plants category. Archaea is like spiders and stuff right? That's where scorpions go. Like I said they go with spiders Sponges are invertebrate too. The categories I mentioned earlier are all under two different categories, vertebrate or invertebrate. All animals fall under one of those categories, so, Idk what sponges, coral, and jellyfish go under. But they are all invertebrate.