pudding

Sweet and Pudding 1x1

Thor stopped and turned back again, one eyebrow arched as he waited for an explanation. The response he got wasn't what he had expected, but it brought a smile to his face. They could figure out the mess with his lack of appetite later. "Of course," he replied, going to the shelf and picking up a new story book. "And, just so you know, the healers can help if your stomach gets any worse," he added, sitting on the edge of the bed and flipping through the pages.

"I promise to see them if it gets worse," Loki replied as he leaned sideways to look at the squiggles over Thor's shoulder. He suddenly reached out and stuck his finger on the page, preventing any further flipping of the pages of the book. "What does this mean?" He asked, looking up at Thor as he pointed to the word. "I mean, what do these squiggles say? What word is it supposed to be?" He still had little idea how these little lines were supposed to produce sounds but he was curious enough to want to know and learn how they functioned.

Thor nodded with a slight smile, once again that feeling of companionship rising in him as Loki leaned over his shoulder. For some reason, this didn't feel new. He shook the thought. These 'squiggles' are the word brave. Each squiggle represents a letter, and each word is formed of many letters. This first symbol is a b, the first letter in the word brave. Then r, a, v, e. Does that make sense?"

"Brave," Loki repeated as he squinted at the squiggles, trying to commit the word to memory. "How many letters are there?" He questioned. The individual letters were strewn across the page. "Why is it called B if it doesn't actually sound like B? It sounds like 'buh'!" These letters were very confusing. "And, moreover, how do you get them on the page? Is there some sort of writing spell to transfer spoken word into written word?"

Thor was having trouble coming up with an explanation for his very simple questions. "Well, let me attempt to show you," he suggested, getting up and sitting instead at the desk and motioning for Loki to come over. He got out a slip of parchment, a quill, and a small bottle of ink and laid them out. "There are five letters in the word brave. Not all letters sound like how they are pronounced- and I realize this is confusing, but I cannot explain it any better than that. Take A for example-" he paused to scratch the letter out, "A can sound like Ay or ah, and it all depends on the letters around it. For instance, the word Apple starts with A, but it sounds different from brave."

"Ayyyy," Loki repeated, drawing the name of the letter out. He knelt down beside the desk, watching the quill move with great interest. So they used the pointy stick to dye specific parks of the page? That was interesting. "Let me try," he said, holding out his hand to take the quill from Thor. "I want to try now. Let me see." He wiggled his fingers, expecting his request to be granted immediately.

Thor shrugged and gave the quill to Loki. "I'm not sure what you expect to do without knowing the alphabet- which is all of the letters. There are 26 of them," he added, watching to see what he would do.

(I realize the Norse language is different but I don't know Norse)

((No, it's fine. I don't know Norse either.))

Loki wrapped his fingers tightly around the quill, holding it like he would hold a dagger. He frowned down at the parchment then began struggling to scratch letters into it, obviously having difficulty with this task. But, he did manage to reproduce Thor's spelling of 'brave', though, very sloppily and stiff and not resembling Thor's smooth letters at all. "Brave," He repeated as he set the quill down then looked up at Thor. "Show me how to write other words!"

Thor couldn't help but smile slightly, proud of the Jotun for accomplishing such a task. Perhaps they weren't as uncivilized as everyone thought. "Why don't we write your name?" He asked, picking up the quill and dipping it in ink. Then he began to slowly write, saying the letters out loud as he did so. "L-O-K-I. Loki. And it looks like this." He turned the parchment so he could see.

Loki quickly grabbed the parchment and stared at his name in awe. "You can write names as well?!" He asked in shock, looking back up at Thor. He quickly placed the parchment down and patted it a few times. "Write 'Byliest' next. That's my sister. Oh, and then Helblindi! He's my younger brother." In all of his excitement, he did not notice his illusion was starting to fade and green specks of magic were beginning to spark up around his body, signaling that the spell needed to be replenished.

Thor chuckled softly and took up the quill once more, slowly scratching out the two names beside Loki's. "There, you see? Byleist, unless I am mistaken, is B-Y-L-E-I-S-T, and your brother's name is spelled H-E-L-B-L-I-N-D-I," he said in a pleased manner. However, when he turned to look at Loki, he was surprised to see what was happening. "Ah.. Your illusion is disappearing.."

Loki watched with great interest as those names were spelled out as well, right along side his. Their names had considerably more letters than his did and quite a few of them were new ones. He opened his mouth to request his father's name to be spelled next when his fading illusion was brought to attention. Loki stood up quite quickly and waved his arms around, magic gathering at his fingertips. When the sparking continued, he quickly gestured to the door. Thor needed to leave before the illusion fell entirely. "Out! Now!"

Thor lifted his hands in self defense and quickly stood, backing towards the door. "Loki, your other form does not trouble me- I have since meeting you overcome any past racism. I will leave if you wish but know that you needn't send me away," he implored, pausing with his hand on the door knob. He had no clue why Loki was panicking about it.

Loki's shoulders rose up to his ears and he hissed back at Thor like a wild animal. Now that he was focused on the illusion, he could feel it crumbling quickly. With a frown, he quickly stole over to the bed and grabbed one of the lighter sheets. He pried it from the bed and quickly threw it over his head as a makeshift barrier to prevent Thor from seeing him disheveled, exhausted and hungry. No sooner than he had covered himself with the sheet, the illusion broke completely and a loud, growling sound came from his stomach. Loki held onto the sides of the sheet firmly, refusing to move an inch. "I would really prefer if you came back later," he replied after the growling sound ended.

Thor sighed, opening the door. "You really should eat. I will check back later," he said, walking out and shutting it behind him. He'd left the parchment on the table in case Loki wanted to keep practicing. But now what was he supposed to do? A voice in his head reminded him he had actual duties, and with a slight blush he scurried off to go complete said duties.

It was only several seconds after he heard the door close that Loki lifted the sheet up. His disheveled look had returned and his stomach was no longer silenced by a barrier of magic. He lifted the sheet up entirely so it was resting on his forehead then looked around the room. His gaze settled on the tray of food Thor had left there and, to avoid the temptation to eat it, he quickly threw it to the floor. The tray clattered loudly briefly and several of the plates broke while Loki rubbed the sides of his head. His stomach seemed to complain even more loudly at him as he settled into the chair nearby where the parchment was laying. He stared down at the names of his siblings then let out a loud sigh and stared blankly at the paper. He missed his family greatly. Between the home sickness and the unwillingness to eat anything, he was surely going to die here.

(Nah, but he would've had many more things to do rather than play with Loki and that was an excuse to do them)

Thor was determined this time. By the nine, he would make this Jotun eat! He had another tray, this one heaped with different kinds of meats (including fish) and two goblets of ale. Balancing it in one hand, he knocked on Loki's door. "It is Thor, may I enter?" He had refrained from checking on Loki all day, even though he'd really wanted to.

Loki had spent most of the day sleeping since it seemed to waste the least energy and helped him ignore the growling sounds. He still had a lot of difficulty adjusting to the bed but at least his stomach had stopped protesting several hours ago. It still hurt, just didn't produce sounds.

The knocking at the door startled the Jotun from the short burst of sleep he had managed to enter only a few minutes before. Wearily, he tugged at the blankets, pulling them closer to his face. "I am attempting to sleep but do what you must," He called back before burying himself in the sheets again, drawing them over his head.

Thor opened the door and stepped in, freezing when a shard of porcelain crunched underfoot. It seemed Loki hadn't exactly eaten what he had left. Worried, he came over and set the tray of warm food down before coming to the bed. "I am sorry to inform you of this, but you will be eating now. I refuse to let you die because you will not eat for some reason."

A faint chuckle came from under the sheets as Loki pulled the sheets further up. "And how do you propose you'll do that?" He asked. "I have few plans of moving and fewer plans of eating." He shifted slightly before closing his eyes again. "So if that is your trick, you might as well leave. I shall not budge. Threaten and plead all you like, I shall not budge."

Thor put his hands on his hips and stared at the unmoving mass on the bed. "Oh, do not worry. You needn't move at all," he said, the only warning Loki got before Thor suddenly embraced him and pulled him off the bed. It took some fumbling to get Loki right side up, one arm locked around him to keep the Jotun from escaping. "You will eat, you fool!"

Loki was content for all of one second before he was pried from the bed, the sheets he had been comfortably tucked under now helping to bind his hands to his sides and prevent his thrashing. "I will not!" He screeched as he began throwing himself from side to side in an effort to escape. "I would sooner sew my lips together than allow food to pass between them. So leave me be!"

Thor grunted in exertion as he tried to secure the struggling Jotun. "So help me I will have you bewitched if that is what it takes! I didn't bring you here to die," he snapped, pinning the man to his chest. "At least tell me why you will not eat!"