Zada2011

Possible Measure Against Some Viewbombing

And what will happen if (since is an in-game thing and justifiable) if 10% of the users decide to play the role of the mischievous stranger and another 10% decides to play the wizard role?

People will have to watch their growing things. As we always have had to. And fog as required.

But

Accepting/Not Accepting Aid at the top of Scrolls

Add your voice. It might help.

Edited by fuzzbucket

People will have to watch their growing things. As we always have had to. And fog as required.

But

Accepting/Not Accepting Aid at the top of Scrolls

Add your voice. It might help.

Since many users do not use the forum at all, in particular newbies, I would find more useful to have a reference in the Help page to the view-bombing and how to defend their eggs and hatchlings. Sorry to disagree but the issue here has nothing to do with innocent people trying to help but with people with bad intentions trying to kill.

There is a bit about keeping them healthy, and we DO get a scroll warning when something is sick, with a link to that.

There is a bit about keeping them healthy, and we DO get a scroll warning when something is sick, with a link to that.

With view-bombing, when the eggs get sick is often too late. There is no enough information and nothing about preventing. I assume you've good intentions but, again, the issue is about EGG-KILLERS, not helpers.

There were times when we lack features that you would take for granted, including the scroll notifications for sickness. Back then, we had to check manually to see whether our eggs were sick and were potentially going to die. We survived that era and you will survive it now and you will survive it with better game features than we had before.

And like I said before, why do you think that egg/hatchling death has it not been removed altogether? To the somebody in charge, it is a deliberate gameplay mechanic, not an 'issue'. It sounds cruel, but you either successfully convince the admin to remove it or you fail and the egg/hatchling death stays like it has stayed for years. Like it always has.

Viewbombing is pretty awful, but I doubt it was unforseen.

Edited by DarkEternity

There were times when we lack features that you would take for granted, including the scroll notifications for sickness. Back then, we had to check manually to see whether our eggs were sick and were potentially going to die. We survived that era and you will survive it now and you will survive it with better game features than we had before.

And like I said before, why do you think that egg/hatchling death has it not been removed altogether? To the somebody in charge, it is a deliberate gameplay mechanic, not an 'issue'. It sounds cruel, but you either successfully convince the admin to remove it or you fail and the egg/hatchling death stays like it has stayed for years. Like it always has.

Viewbombing is pretty awful, but I doubt it was unforseen.

That is an acceptable point of view. What I do not like is the lack of information on prevention. And I am waiting to see what will happen when the gameplay mechanic will increase, the number of "wizards" will increase and kill more and more eggs/hatchlings of the people that are now indifferent.

BTW not my problem anymore, I know how to defend my scroll and what to tell my friends. I'm a spectator. I assume that soon we will see multiple sites teaching how to view-bomb efficiently followed by view-bombing of bred eggs referenced on threads. Or just siting on a fan-site...

Gawsh another category could be added to collectors, breeders etc.: egg-killers aka wizards. Just another play-style.

Sigh sad.gif

Edited by _Sin_

That is an acceptable point of view. What I do not like is the lack of information on prevention. And I am waiting to see what will happen when the gameplay mechanic will increase, the number of "wizards" will increase and kill more and more eggs/hatchlings of the people that are now indifferent.

BTW not my problem anymore, I know how to defend my scroll and what to tell my friends. I'm a spectator. I assume that soon we will see multiple sites teaching how to view-bomb efficiently followed by view-bombing of bred eggs referenced on threads. Or just siting on a fan-site...

Gawsh another category could be added to collectors, breeders etc.: egg-killers aka wizards. Just another play-style.

Sigh sad.gif

From the help link on he scroll page:

http://dragcave.net/help/sickness

Egg/Hatchling Sickness

Eggs and hatchlings can become sick when they receive too many views, unique views, and clicks in a short period of time. Although sickness can occur at any time, eggs are most vulnerable when first laid. If an egg or hatchling continues to receive too many views, unique views, and clicks while sick, it may die.

To “cure” an egg or hatchling of sickness, simply reduce the rate at which it is receiving views, unique views, and clicks. This may be as simple as removing the egg or hatchling from any sites you have posted it on. Since the hide action prevents eggs and hatchlings from receiving views, unique views, and clicks, it can be a useful tool at combating sickness.

Keep an eye on your stuff and you can see when the views rocket - whatever is causing that. And yes indeed - we never used to get the scroll warning - things are much easier now.

From the help link on he scroll page:

http://dragcave.net/help/sickness

Keep an eye on your stuff and you can see when the views rocket - whatever is causing that. And yes indeed - we never used to get the scroll warning - things are much easier now.

That warning is not about prevention. It references a solution that is far from efficient with view-bombing because it is just too fast.

Again, I know how to prevent. Newbies often do not. Users that do not use the fora, don't either.

Anyway, I give up. Count me in the "could not care less" category.

Edited by _Sin_

Eggs and hatchlings can become sick when they receive too many views, unique views, and clicks in a short period of time. Although sickness can occur at any time, eggs are most vulnerable when first laid.

That sure sounds like prevention to me. It's out-right stating that our dragons are vulnerable when we first get them and may get sick if they receive too many views. Unless the newbie just doesn't bother to read that next paragraph, they also know exactly how to keep them from getting too many views: take them out of hatcheries or use the hide button.

That's prevention. That's what we've always done. That's how it's always been. And if you don't bother to read the Help page, well the first time you have an egg die from sickness, you'll learn. That's how I learned, before we even had all that stuff on the Help page.

We can't hold people's hands and tell every single user about EVERY negative possibility of the game. We can point them in the right direction and let them learn. That's sort of what games are all about. Trial and error.

That sure sounds like prevention to me. It's out-right stating that our dragons are vulnerable when we first get them and may get sick if they receive too many views. Unless the newbie just doesn't bother to read that next paragraph, they also know exactly how to keep them from getting too many views: take them out of hatcheries or use the hide button.

That's prevention. That's what we've always done. That's how it's always been. And if you don't bother to read the Help page, well the first time you have an egg die from sickness, you'll learn. That's how I learned, before we even had all that stuff on the Help page.

We can't hold people's hands and tell every single user about EVERY negative possibility of the game. We can point them in the right direction and let them learn. That's sort of what games are all about. Trial and error.

Exactly. And as has been said many MANY times - TJ cannot prevent viewbombing. If you know different - DO SHARE !

It can be done without a fan site, and he can't in any case stop people setting up fan sites (and even if he denies access to the API, a cunning programmer will find a way around that.)

Yes, I've been viewbombed. Yes, I do care. But - we do have to keep an eye on our own things, even in ideal circumstances. Otherwise this game would be far too easy. Eggs and hatchies can get sick from overviewing without viewbombing too. A overzealous viewer on a fan site can even do it, while just trying to "do the right thing". The issue is keeping an eye on them for overviewing - however it happens.

New players have to learn by trial and error. That applies to every game you start to play in life. Even the ones who don't come here - as I didn't for a long time after I started to play - and the help link wasn't even on scroll then. (I was lucky in that the person who introduced me also told me about fan sites, but still...)

And we now have the "one of your dragons is sick" warning on scroll too - that is a HUGE help. A new player can see they have a problem - and the sickie is even identified !

Edited by fuzzbucket