Zada2011

Possible Measure Against Some Viewbombing

I always thought (with no programming knowledge), that the /get/ page is related somehow to the GET request sent to the server and that changing that relationship (to obfuscate the code of the egg) would require a significant rewrite of the code.

Edited by DarkEternity

Then what's the point of POST/GET? :/

I see no If or Else statements in client/server interactions so I assume that is done by the server for reasons. When I click on the URL to grab an egg in-cave, it sends the request with that code attached in the GET message so that's how I assume the server knows if you are trying to get the egg or not.

Question is, if the URL incave does not include the code of the egg can it send a GET with the code of the egg in it or are they not the same or am I confusing myself?

(When a forum post gets deleted and it looks like you are talking to yourself. .-. Well hey, doesn't ToD work with a different 'get' url and if you miss the egg you can't find it? So technically it can be done? :c ;-wink.gif

Edited by DarkEternity

(When a forum post gets deleted and it looks like you are talking to yourself.

My apologies. I figured out I'd posted something personal and, instinctively, deleted.

Edited by _Sin_

My apologies. I figured out I'd posted something personal and, instinctively, deleted.

Ah, well it makes good sense. I should minimise the likelihood that I am doxed as well *mutters*

Well I suppose it could work ^^;;

On the idea that "coders" need to see a code so they can look for it....

Once an egg has been grabbed, and kept, WHY does ANYONE need the code for it?? Take away the code from the "missed" page is a good one....if it was "missed" then someone has it and you don't need the code, cause it won't ever be yours.

Scroll sitters. I have to use one quite often.

Scroll sitters. I have to use one quite often.

The scroll-sitter would know your scroll name. The lack of egg code in the cave "missed" page would be irrelevant.

People not hunting by code but not getting the egg, would not know what code the egg had they just missed if there was a generic "Sorry someone was faster" page. So if they wanted to kill the egg out of spite they would have a harder time telling which egg it actually was. It is not a 100% save but better than what we have now.

Oh trust me, something like that would be very much possible. Look at the URLs of eggs in the AP right now. You'll notice after their code is a bunch of random stuff (and I believe it changes each time somebody takes it and dumps it back into the AP). A similar thing can be done with eggs and needing a hidden code in order to receive views, it just obviously wouldn't be visible in their URL.

It'd be a great way to combat viewbombing. You have the egg's code which is pretty just their ID number (you punch in the code to the view URL, and you get that exact dragon no matter what) that will still be visible when cave or AP hunting. This is good for people like me who will often take commons because they have an appealing code.

But, once you grab your egg it is assigned a second hidden code that can only be seen by the owner and this is the code that must be submitted to fansites and is shown in the BBCode/HTML lists in order to gain views. How annoying it would be to type wouldn't matter, since you can just copy it anyway.

I think though, this would be a thing that's better set as an option for the individual user than be something mandatory. I can see how some people might not like it because it's slightly confusing or complicated for them. But for those who wanted even better security beyond hiding their scroll and fogging their things, it would be highly beneficial.

As for scroll-sitters, maybe there could be an additional function where you can add specific scroll names. Then those only could see the code to add to hatcheries.

But there would be a problem. What if you bred an egg and it auto'd? Would the breeder have that bonus code?

And unlikely, unless you're a die-hard troll, would be to abandon choice eggs. Then enter the bonus code you got from owning it into hatcheries. Next person who picked it up gets hit. But with the AP only showing less than 5-day eggs, the bombed egg might have died before that.

And I saw someone saying hovering over the egg or ctrl+click takes too much time.

If you have a scroll wheel, click with that over the egg. It will open in a new tab and you can continue hunting. There you would get the egg's code.

And what I do is look at a biome, click on the egg that I want, then click the next biome I'm searching. So if the "missed" page no longer shows the code, then I can hit the back-button and mouse over the egg I missed. As was stated, Firefox will show the code of the mouseover at the bottom of the screen.

I think I stated this in the last "viewbomb" thread I was in. ninja.gif

And I saw someone saying hovering over the egg or ctrl+click takes too much time.

If you have a scroll wheel, click with that over the egg. It will open in a new tab and you can continue hunting. There you would get the egg's code.

And what I do is look at a biome, click on the egg that I want, then click the next biome I'm searching. So if the "missed" page no longer shows the code, then I can hit the back-button and mouse over the egg I missed. As was stated, Firefox will show the code of the mouseover at the bottom of the screen.

If someone wants an egg so much that, if missed, out of spite for not catching it, is willing to kill it, he/she will be busy clicking it, not wheel-clicking.

No, what I meant was that usually when people are cave-hunting, they open the new tab and refresh the biome page pretty much immediately. Thus, the mouseover with the code of the missed egg would no longer be there, and omitting the "missed" page egg code would prevent a viewbomber from being able to do so in these cases.

Would viewbombing still be possible? Yes. I'm not sure anything would eliminate it completely unless a fundamental shift in the sickness/death mechanic was made. But implementing this suggestion would make such malicious behavior more difficult to execute, which would be good.

If someone wants an egg so much that, if missed, out of spite for not catching it, is willing to kill it, he/she will be busy clicking it, not wheel-clicking.

Wheel-clicking is faster. If you click, you get taken to a new page and must then back up and refresh.

If you use another method, you open a new tab and must click back to the original tab.

No, what I meant was that usually when people are cave-hunting, they open the new tab and refresh the biome page pretty much immediately. Thus, the mouseover with the code of the missed egg would no longer be there, and omitting the "missed" page egg code would prevent a viewbomber from being able to do so in these cases.

Really? It's always faster for me to click out and then back.

*click* Coast *wheelclick to get egg* *click* Desert *click* Coast

But refreshing the Coast takes easily twice as long as clicking out and back. Because I only have to let the Desert page load enough that I can click the Coast.

Yes, that's the most common hunting method I've seen described in my time here. When people mention biome-hopping, they mean that they spend at least a few minutes in each biome and thus cycle through them more slowly than your personal hunting style (which is, so far, unique in my reading).

Yes, that's the most common hunting method I've seen described in my time here. When people mention biome-hopping, they mean that they spend at least a few minutes in each biome and thus cycle through them more slowly than your personal hunting style (which is, so far, unique in my reading).

I don't recall ever saying "biome hopping".

And my style isn't really that different from the refreshers. I want a specific biome, and I want to load that page as fast as possible.

No, I was using the term to describe a different hunting method. While yours does involve hopping between biome pages, your goal is to only hunt in one of them.

Wheel-clicking is faster. If you click, you get taken to a new page and must then back up and refresh.

If you use another method, you open a new tab and must click back to the original tab.

Wheel clicking doesn't work for all mice. Including mine. Just saying...

I stand by my points. I think the main suggestions put forth here either won't really change much, or will help against viewbombing but make things TONS harder for users in general.

My suggestions? Hmm. I *do* agree that viewbombing is a problem that needs to be dealt with, I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea there. I just see SO many ideas thrown around in so many threads that don't really seem like the best solutions.

My best suggestion would be a simple re-coding of how sickness and stats are used in general. Basically, I would suggestion a "cap" on the number of stats a "vulnerable" egg could get per day, and within that "cap" the chance of sickness should be reduced. When a dragon/egg hits ER-status that cap is lifted, thus allowing for egg-spamming to quickly hatch your ER dragons, and sickness isn't *usually* as big of a problem for ERs.

So, a max. stat-count dragons over 4 days can get per day. The limit is lifted for ER dragons for obvious reasons.

It's not perfect, and I'm sure people will complain about liking to hike up their stats as early as possible, or *whatever*, but the way I see it, if you want to protect your dragons against viewbombing, tweaking something as simple as the way you accumulate stats shouldn't be that big of a problem. And I honestly think this is a suggestion that could *work*.

The only problem I can see with that is neglected creation.... I still live in hope, and...

Considering that neglected creation requires the eggs to go down to ER status and Marie's idea exempts all ER eggs from the cap, I don't think it'll be a problem. smile.gif

I'd be happy with any idea that helps mitigate viewbombing problems, though changing sickness consequences sounds like a good idea as well. The biome-page code changing doesn't really sound like it would help, though the get-page redirect might work.

Not being able to would be a small price to pay. After all - if you missed it - why do you need to know ?

it gives lineage ideas when I check lineages and things like that. and most of us are like " ooh good for that person" instead of this " oh poor me adtitude"

It is quite different to read a code while hovering over it - in particular if you were not fast enough to catch it - and on having all the time to copy/paste it from the "missed" page. And the the absence of the code on the "missed" page for the cave would not "screw" anybody?

Look, I'm frustrated, I don't think that the community is taking this issue seriously enough. And will not until more and more petty, small people learn how to use auto-refreshers and start using them every time that someone rejects a trade or write something that they disagree with sad.gif

I'm begging you, please help on finding solutions, this problem will not go away without action.

sorry for double posting but I also think this is just a bit paranoid. I do understand how this game is important I have been playing since 08, but again its just pixels

sorry for double posting but I also think this is just a bit paranoid. I do understand how this game is important I have been playing since 08, but again its just pixels

Thank you for your opinion.... nice...

Wheel clicking doesn't work for all mice. Including mine. Just saying...

Yes, I know that. But people were arguing that there wasn't a quicker method. My method is, thought it may not work for everyone.

And once again, I don't see why you need to remove the means of looking at an egg's lineage to hide the code.

Give it a "hatchery" code. Not the code that goes /view/(here) or /lineage/(here).

Only the owner has the "hatchery" code. To get that code, you have to own the egg.

So if you want to look at an AP egg to see the lineage, you can.

Like I mentioned before, if only the owner can view the "hatchery" code, then the entire concept of having an "I accept aid" thing is rendered pointless, as are scroll sitters, since only the *owner* will be able to add the dragons to hatcheries. Yes, it will stop viewbombing, but it will also stop ALL outside help.

And will not until more and more petty, small people learn how to use auto-refreshers and start using them every time that someone rejects a trade or write something that they disagree with

I should point out that autorefreshers aren't all that efficient unless you have a way to give unique views quickly as well (which is actually quite a chore). Views tend cap out before you get to a point where you can kill the dragon, unless it's a new egg (and even then, you need UV in order to get more than a few views).

I know this because I used to try and kill a lot of my own eggs using sickness back in the day (I was trying to find an efficient way of purging the AP of inbreds).

Personally, I like the idea that someone brought up a while ago about simply removing sickness or making it non-fatal.

It's sort of like when they had unlimited lava blocks in minecraft. People just went around griefing like mad.

If sickness were non-fatal, it would still be as annoying as all get-out to have that notice at the top, so people would almost certainly still take care of it. However, it would stop bombers in their tracks. If the best you could do is annoy someone, it makes for a lot less motivation.

Edited by Pink

The only problem I can see with that is neglected creation.... I still live in hope, and...

This. I often viewbomb my own eggs to make them NDs or hatch faster, etc.

This would make me unable to do that.

ETA:

I wish there was an autofog button that's like "automatically fog my eggs for ( ) hours after being caught/bred." You can enter the hours, etc....

Edited by ylangylang