The Dimensions of Time

[Okies was waiting on dangershy to reply to a PM before posting - though all I was asking is if I could make a scene-setting post as her TARDIS' sentience for her entrance. No reply yet though... so if it seems a good idea to you I'll edit it in.]

As Micheal set-up the computer to reboot the systems, Janet walked up to a secondary terminal. She did wonder if she'd be able to assist in the boot-up if this terminal was made active.

She switched the screen on and as it went through its own start-up process, Janet looked over at the furiously typing scientist, and asked:

"If you could transfer some of the workload to this one - I'd be able to reset some too. Should get the power back faster with two?"

Risky, as with power he'd be able to see she wasn't wearing expected clothes - but then again without power, she wouldn't be able to find out what caused the outage - and whether UNIT needed to be involved. As her original briefing indicated was the goal.

((I suppose that would require some waiting. Let me know if you want me to poke her as well.))

---(Michael)---

The computer started scrolling command prompts quickly across the screen and he sat back in the computer chair in front of it while he waited. He wasn't actually an expert about these things but he could maneuver his way around the codes for rebooting. He was grateful for assistance. "If you know the system then by all means." A different screen popped up on the monitor. It listed several choices such as scanning the disk system and going into recovery mode. He didn't want either of those.

Restart system normally?

Yes. Enter.

A loading screen and then the building logo.

After a moment, a request for username and password.

mdavenport, 1989coventrymldmichaeld-MDavenport

The computer loaded.

He swiveled to face Janet. "I think that computer over there will let you reboot some of the systems once you log in. It should just be in the control panel but I'll tell you if I find something different over here."

---(???)---

He pulled Kara closer. There would be no loosing of any ligaments today. "Have you ever done this before? Stupid question. You might want to close your eyes." When he activated his watch it was like the whole world suddenly fell away. Different people tended to have different reactions to this the first few times. Some faint, some scream loud enough to shame a banshee, some stare out at the void uncomprehendingly, and some look it directly in it's blank colorless face and say 'try me'. Oh, and vomiting. A lot of people tend to vomit somewhere along the journey. Many of those occur when the sudden streaks of color appear and start whizzing by your head like a whirlpool of insane butterflies, swirling constantly and unendingly. That is, until you suddenly feel the full force of gravity several seconds later when the rest of those people empty their stomachs.

The surroundings were that of what one could say was a simply stellar countryside with very green grass, large hills, forests off in the distance, and several large tents not so far off in the distance. They were close to a section of land marked up with posts and string. The earth inside had been removed and precise square holes had been made. In several places, the points of red flags could be seen randomly scattered about near abnormal patches of dirt and rocks. These were, of course, findings and this was, of course, a dig site. here they were.

"Have I ever done what-" Kara started to ask, before the world around her bent and violently flew past her. When they stopped she let go of the man's hand and was on all fours. For a moment, she thought she was going to puke. When the feeling passed she looked up at the man, smiling. "That was quite possibly the coolest thing ever!" She wanted to know how it worked, if he was an alien, and why he chose her.Her whole life seemed just to build to the the fact that she was now going to be doing the coolest stuff ever. Well, if you ignored the whole 'deadly' aspect of things...

[Looks like 'shy has disappeared and is incommunicado. No response on the intro event for her character..... sad.gif More poking may be needed]

With Michael's blessing - sort of - Janet looked back at the loading computer. It seemed to be waiting for input from a choice of options.

This computer wasn't shut down properly last time... please select start up options:

1. Restart normally

2. Restart in Safe Mode

3. Restart and perform an immediate shut down.

Highlighted option will commence in 5 seconds...

Janet quickly pressed 1, since it seemed the default highlighted option was for Safe Mode - which as far she was aware - would prevent the terminal from linking to the rest of the complex.

Computer went through the motions and then asked for a username and password.

Taking a gamble that pass-codes wouldn't be logged after the power shutdown - at least until the security systems were back online - Janet used the UNIT override codes. Which technically didn't exist - noone needed to know that a military force could access any computer controlled systems. Admittedly the whole thing was due to the Doctor's influence, at least according to the UNIT files she'd read after being sworn in.

Typing quickly, Janet provided the system with a user and pass. The only reason she knew the codes - she was one of the first batch drafted after an alien attempt to make Earth go Nuclear. A hasty addition to UNIT's charter - to ensure that any of their members could stop MAD.

Now it was a waiting game, for the computer to process the override log. She'd be in some deep trouble if her boss found out about this.....

((I'm going to put a strike over Shy and Claw's sheets. I don't think they're coming in any time soon.))

---(Michael)---

Janet seemed to be doing well enough. The computer appeared to be logging her in. His was already up. He opened up his command box and a list of the various systems. There were a lot of them. "I'm going to start from the top. Just grab whatever isn't being activated." He said, scooting forward in his chair. Time for the mundane task of entering commands. At least he had someone to converse with. "So, how did you come to work as a... research intern?" that's what she said she worked as, wasn't it?

---(???)---

He huffed. Though, he should be fully adjusted to Kara's strangeness at this point. Maybe it was simply a human thing. He extended a hand to help her up. "Not nearly as 'cool' as you think. We're just going to be poking around the camp." and hoping that this is actually where Leftinant ended up. I don't see her around, so it's not a very good sign. Not to mention the fact that there might be officials about at this time. The man didn't know or care about that though. Humans with guns were no obstacle, unless you were shot by one. "Are you alright by the way?" why are you asking that? "I wouldn't want you to be ill and... dirty something important" he added somewhat unsurely.

((This is an interest check. If you are active and still interested in this RP, please comment here or send me a PM. If you'd like to quit then again, please comment here or send me a PM.))

[Exams are slowing my postings - but am still interested]

Janet nodded as Michael made his plan to start at the top. Her computer was slightly behind his in the screen - she'd estimate he'd get the first two done before hers was ready to work.

She took her seat as Michael asked her a question. How did I start working as research intern? Since I needed a reasonable alias when discovered in a building that I was meant to be observing. Though she couldn't say that.

"I became a research intern, due to my mother's influence." Janet said, figuring that was the safest option - she had followed her father's footsteps after all. So just twisting the truth slightly. "She was always telling me myths and legends as a kid. I guess I wondered if there was any truth to them. The best way to find that out was through study."

She looked at her screen to check its process - loading her control panel so she could get to work.

"How about you? How did you get interested in ancient history?"