The Dimensions of Time

Janet changed into her civvies - after all UNIT uniform would call too much attention to her if she was meant to be covertly finding things out. Before she left the base, she read the rest of the information provided in the mission folder - the items had been removed to a research laboratory outside London.

Made sense they'd use that location - since the dig was financed by the British Archaeological Foundation. The one problem she could see was getting inside - the security would be tighter after all the disappearances.

Guess I'll have to start by looking for a weak point from the outside. Since UNIT hadn't been officially called in, Sgt. Harriman couldn't just walk up to the gates and demand entry.

Sherlock nodded thoughtfully at the information he was given. At The Leftinant's sugestion, he chuckled, and shook his head. "Ah, but I can tell most people's stories just by glancing at them. And besides, a promise is a promise. Speaking of promises, I promised to tell you about what I read in the papers." He agrued calmly. Pulling the newspaper from beneth his armpit area, he tossed it at his new friend. "Yes, well, this is a most interesting article. A whole archeological dig goes like missing. Reminds me much of the unearthing of the young King Tutankhamen, except all of thise crew members mysteriously died."

Kara, sleeping in a tree, quietly minding her own business. When she woke, she was wondering what to next. She'd quit her job after her boos insulted her and called her a 'dreamer without purpose' and 'an ignorant censorkip.gif '. There was just no way she could go back like a dog with its tail between its legs and beg pitifully for her job back. No way that was going to happen. Leaping down from the tree, she passed a statue, but despite the new statue, she walked to the museum. She had heard about the recent events surrounding the mummy there. She was intrigued, maybe something would finally happen in this boring town. She paid for the entry fee, and went to see the mummy.

[i dunno if the exhibit would be closed or not...]

Edited by RainDash

[it was never said to be a mummy exhibit - the only link to the mummy is the media comparing recent events to what happened in 1922 with the King Tut dig.]

((Granted there may be increased activity around the exhibit given recent events, but Takhesis is right about that.))

Leftinant snatched the paper out of the air deftly and shuddered at an unwanted image. Spears, she thought. Spears and black shells. She read the article. It had made the front page. There had been a recent expedition carried out by a group of university students, their professors, and a group of guides native to the area near the dig site. It was said that they had stumbled across an artifact of great importance, though speculations varied on what it was. The dig was promptly canceled and the professor in charge had disappeared barely a week later. The rest of the team followed. Reports suggested kidnapping, as there had been no trace of the bodies. However, police were baffled as to where any of them could have went and the CLP was not open for comment as to supposed whereabouts. Leftinant leaned against the dash and bit the inside of her lip. Aliens. That was the most likely cause. She presumed that it must be some group outside earth interested in the artifact. Then again, that type should have just killed any humans in the way, taken the artifact and gone without a trace. Could it be terrestrial then? There were plenty of creatures other than Humans on Earth, though she couldn't claim to really know them. Left didn't spend much time on the planet with how frequently the wars had been on. "Very odd." she mumbled, accent slipping ever so slightly into Irish territory.

[Well, unless someone wants to cause trouble for Janet - her watch will be rather boring.... for now.]

Janet made her way to the lab in question - instead of driving up the road to the gate, she took her vehicle off-road before the lab came into view.

Finding an area where her UNIT vehicle would be concealed Janet prepared for her stakeout, yes she'd changed into civvies to avoid calling attention, but she still drove an official UNIT vehicle. Seemed contrary, but it was a compromise - UNIT vehicles weren't stopped by roadblocks, and it had the radio link to HQ if she needed to report in or call for back up.

Taking her binoculars, Sgt Harriman locked and walked away from the vehicle to find a vantage point where she could observe the lab that contained the recovered artifacts.

"I would say. It's the King Tut excavation all over again." Sherlock agreed. Leftinant's reaction had piqued his curiosity. There was something she knew that she wasn't saying, and it was bothering him. "You have an idea who might have done this, don't you? I've seen that look before, and there's no mistaking it. Do you mind explaining?" He crossed his ankle over his knee, and looked at her expectantly. If she wouldn't comply, well, he could do a bit more investigating. Either way, he was going to find out.

"I have absolutely no idea." She said truthfully, accent returning closer to its normal form. 'You've just seen those rusty old cogs turning in my head.' She thought with amusement. It had been a long time since she had been forced to solve any mysteries by herself. The higher ups had done that for her so long. She wondered what had happened at the King Tut dig. Leftinant didn't keep up with Earth events. When she looked up, she saw that she was obviously supposed to give something a little more in-depth. "You either spend your time meticulously learning about something, skimming through it, or purposefully avoiding it. I purposefully avoid this place" she said dryly. By place she meant planet. It was unfortunate that Sherlock had to be born here. She felt kind of bad because she had a predisposition to him. He seemed a very intelligent man. She could see why The Doctor liked some of these humans. "That means that I have no immediate leads, though I could always go back and check out this King Tut incident. It might prove to have a link. What exactly was going on then?"

"Ah, let me think..." Sherlock replied. He leaned forward in his chair, placed both hands together like he was praying, and rested his chin on his hands. In no more than a few minutes had he bolted right back up to sitting straight. "1922, Howard Carter and Lord Carnarvon are the first to enter the tomb. Only later had Carnarvon fell ill by what they assumed to be a mosquito bite. His conditioned worsened, until the bite became infected, and he died of it. Another member of the excavation crew died almost exactly a month after the tomb had been opened. The day of the excavation, it is said that Carter's bird had been killed by a cobra- an iconic Egyptian symbol. I believe it to be nothing but rubbish, but it does seem similar to this new incident." He seemed to relax after recalling the information they needed. His memory was next to perfect, so remembering things was pretty easy for him. "An entire team, however, sounds a lot more suspicious..."

[i dunno what to say... I feel like posting something about the mummy would ultimately end up being wrong... and I'm sitting in the museum by myself, not to mention how weird it'd be for her just to randomly walk up to Sherlock and Lefitant...]

((I'll make another character unless someone else wants to. Also, don't be shy about PMing Takhesis or myself about what's going on. We won't condemn you.))

She shifted uncomfortably in her chair after his recollection. Sherlock acted so much like an AI at that moment that she doubted that he was human. No, he had a birth date that matched his age, highly unlikely for any sort of android. The 1922 incident sounded completely like superstition. Those people had died of natural causes in a strange land. She closed her eyes and folded her hands together, mirroring how Sherlock had just looked. She marked the two as unrelated. 'people don't just dissapear'. A voice from the past interrupted 'You know, nor should you be letting a human tramp all over your ship, especially one you just met'. She squashed the thought. There was no room for those kinds of thoughts on her ship, now or ever. "What is your theory, Mister Holmes?" she asked, wondering if he could come up with a more defined solution than she had, even if he probably didn't know about extraterrestrials. Though what he thought she was, the Leftinant may have never known.

((I am intrigued...How about a clue?))

"My theory? I haven't exactly developed a theory. Not an in-depth one. Because I haven't gotten the chance to do any actual investigating, I'm going off of all I know about the incident." Sherlock answered. "Personally, I believe it to be sabotage. Possibly a worker in the dig who didn't get their promised share in fame. Maybe he or she hired someone, and they decided that they were going to take out everyone-including their employer. Or possibly a robbery, taking out the crew so that they could get their hands on whatever was of importance. Again, I can't be positive about what happened." He seemed frustrated about this, because getting answers was always so instantaneous to him. "If only we could see the sight, but we'd need a lot more money than I have, a plane, access passes, that sort of thing. and no one wants a dead detective in their dig..."

((Check your PM shadow... I've sent you a hint/clue. Also Rain - I'll send you a PM too - a possible hint from the museum/mummy exhibit....))

Janet settled in for a long watch - since it wasn't yet official UNIT business, they couldn't spare her any extra man power for the stake-out. Which meant she was on her own - until it could be proved UNIT involvement was needed.

((The mystery person is for you, Dash.))

---(Left)---

"I highly doubt sabotage, though... I won't rule it out." He mentioned needing money and passes to get in to the dig site itself, which was probably mucked up with police tape and all sorts. She shook her head and smiled. Typical. "Look around you." she said, opening her arms to encompass the whole room. "I can take us anywhere, anytime, anyhow I like. Help me with the coordinates and we're as good as there."

---(???)---

He sat against one of the statues outside the museum and watched her. He had no idea why she was here, but it was wonderful. This would be the perfect time to knock on the door and scare the censorkip.gif out of her. He did enjoy his little pleasures too much. Who was this? Who was the man she was talking to. He certainly didn't recognize the man and he couldn't be human. She would never talk to a human, though she did look startled... Oh well. She had taken that incident a little too personally. He had just been trying to help the man out. She had never told anyone about her own little motivations, silly girl. Her being here raised questions. Was it a coincidence or was she here on purpose. Surely she wasn't here for the view. And-oops what just happened there? No, had that just happened? Certainly not. "It looks like someone is a bit lonesome..." He craned his neck to get a better view of the statue. The door had already been closed.

Edited by ArchiosLukos

[lol Dash will have some confusion then - since I just sent her a PM involving one of the museum curators...]

[i assumed while Kara was moving between exhibition cases in the museum - one of the museum curators/guide people made a comment on how human curiosity is always raised by past mysteries... Kara could always ignore it as curators/guides can be boring in tone.]

Tired of being jostled about, Kara stuffed down the urge to punch someone. The guide, talking about human curiousity now, was the only slightly enjoyable thing about the whole experience. His boring tone was getting on her nerves and the people around her were sheep anyway. She pushed her way out of the flock and out to the front of the museum. There was that statue again, and a man. The man was intently staring at the statue, as if glaring at it out of fury or something. Kara, sensing that the man wasn't completely sane, watched as he talked to the statue. She slunk down the stairs, carefully watching the man. That statue definitely wasn't there yesterday though...

A new light shined in Sherlock's eyes. Anywhere? Any time? "Well then, perhaps you could take us there." He suggested. "At least you explained what your marvelous machine does." Standing up out of his seat, Sherlock circled the room to get the full view of the TARDIS. Then, he spotted another room. "There's more? Oh, you must explain to me how all of this works! A statue that's actually a machine that has rooms! Imagine!"

---(Left)---

She stood and put her hands into the pockets of her dress blues. There was the telltale reaction right there, the one she had always secretly hoped for when she found someone to share the ship with. These halls seemed endless at times, thoigh she always managed to find her way back. "It's sort of like a pocket dimension." The statue is just my door at the moment. "Oh, I almost forgot to ask you something. Very important." she said, walking over to him. "Are you feeling sick, does your head tingle at all?" she asked. The TARDIS should be done with all the primary scans by now and she wouldn't have to worry about translating anything for Sherlock. However, it sometimes left some unpleasant side effects depending on the person. It wouldn't be very nice to have anyone vomiting on her nice clean floors just yet.

---(???)---

He snapped his fingers and pointed at Kara. "Woman," he said commandingly. She had been looking at him anyway, so she might as well make herself useful. When he looked over, steely gaze watching her, he saw that this woman was obviouly wary of him. Good. "Come here." he shifted his point to a position just in front of him and he watched her to see if she would flee. He was actually pleased when he provoked that reaction in people as long as he didn't actually need them. Maybe his brown eyes were too big or the way he seemed to have calculated every aspect of himself. 'It intimidates the simpler folk' he once told a friend, but that was a long time ago.

Sherlock peered into the other room, but turned to look back at Leftinant. "Incredible! Fantastic! So the very same door that could be just your average door is able to direct you to a place whete things are nearly endless! If only there was technology like this in London!" He exclaimed. The detective paused for just a moment to assess her question. "Actually, J feel a bit light-headed. You wouldn't mind if I stepped outside to get some air, would you?"

Suddenly the man was pointing at her and demanding that she do something. "My name is not woman." She snapped, folding her arms over her chest and stomping over to the man. He probably didn't know that she was going to punch him if he didn't turn around his attitude. She was a person, and by her laws, that meant not being called woman. However, she had no interest in being arrested for assault either. She'd wait for an answer, then deck him if it continued to be insulting. "What do you want, because so help me I'll deck you. Then I'll call the cops on your censorkip.gif ."

---(Left)---

She nodded. "Of course. I'll join you." 'just to be absolutely certain you don't run off and spout nonsense about a statue that's bigger on the inside.' She walked forward to the door and opened it for Sherlock. The sounds of the city immediately rushed in. Horns, water, footsteps, conversation. The smell was pretty bad too, no thanks to the people who lived here. She leaned against the door and waited for him to go first.

---(???)---

He had to absolutely restrain himself from rolling his eyes. Humans always seemed to think they were so important. You must call them by whatever name their parents gave them and treat them like they were the rulers of whatever planet they existed on. Besides, he couldn't help it if he didn't know what each individual on the planet was called. She didn't even give him a name after her little protest. "Calm down, woman." he said, standing. He strode forward and stopped in front of her. "How would you like to be employed in the most exciting career your little planet can offer? I promise that it's much more exciting than being here and I'll even call you by your name if you tell me what it is." He gave her a warm smile and extended his hand. "I cover all costs, of course."

Edited by ArchiosLukos

Sherlock stepped out of the TARDIS, holding the door open for The Leftinant. A couple deep breaths of the clean (or as clean as London air could get) air, he was feeling better. "I lived on 221 Baker Street. There's a muesum right across from it now, highlighting the failure of Sherlock Holmes." He informed her. "John and Mrs. Hudson still live there. I know this because I took some of my belongings back. They didn't see me, of course."

---(Left)---

She stepped out of the ship and closed the door, looking back to make sure her mark was still there. It was. She didn't notice the man sitting above her on the steps. That was probably a good thing. "It won't be there long. That or it will some day praise you for your heroics rather than your shortcomings." She hadn't seen mention of it in her search, so she assumed it had just been a fad. This John character and Mrs. Hudson should take care of that. After all, no one likes both their apartment and the man who lived in it to be shamed. She looked out at the river. Once you got over the smell (which she hadn't quite yet), it was actually quite attractive. "Did you want to go look at ot or were you just informing me?"

"No, I thought it was just a bit of information. Besides, if I went back, I'd be spotted for sure." Sherlock decided. He laughed at Leftinant's attempt at cheering him up, shaking his head. "If the world wanted me back and not just my three friends, I'd be back. It's best nobody knows I'm alive." He folded his arms behind his back to inspect the staute. "Remarkable machine, how can it do that?" It was usually others that were asking questions to him, Sherlock realized the tables had turned, and grinned.