The Dimensions of Time

Listening to his offer, Kara thought about it. She didn't like the snakey man, but she didn't have anything better. Besides, she was out of a job, not likely to get one anytime soon, and he was willing to pay. On the off chance he was right, she would be getting paid for whatever he needed. "All right. Name's Kara. Kara McGinty." She said, still wary of the odd stranger. "I'll do it if you tell me what the job is." She wasn't exactly looking for a job that would send her into jail. She didn't exactly want that on her record... or at least, more arrests on her record.

---(???)---

"Kara..." he said thoughtfully. Ka-ra rolled off the tongue, it wasn't very long and it suited someone lower than himself. "That will do quite nicely." When she didn't take his hand, he took hers and shook it firmly. It was gloved so he didn't have to worry about acctually touching people. He looked back at the statue, taking notice of the two persons who were now outside it. Good. This was just in time to prove Kara's usefulness. Test scenario 1. "You are now an intelligence agent, Kara." he said. "To see if you qualify, I need you to go down to those people by the monument there and figure out what they are doing. Wether you go with them or simply get the information and leave does not matter to me. I will be in contact with you either way." He may not have known what Leftinant and her little sidekick were doing, but he'd easily be able to tell if Kara had the correct information. Actually, maybe she would be able to sign aboard the TARDIS. Then he could monitor every movement without having to stalk his prey himself. Other possibilities might open up, provided Kara didn't go the route of his last servant. That's what the test was for, right? "Oh, and don't think of mentioning me or your assignment. That might lead to a premature extermination of your career."

---(Left)---

"Well," she said, looking back at the statue, glancing over the engravings. "I told you that it's like a pocket dimension." she said softly so that no pedestrians could hear. She didn't want another curious passerby asking questions. "So the ship is in another place entirely, but the door to it is here. My TARDIS, that stands for Time and Relative Dimensions in Space, picks a door appropriate for whenever and wherever I am and then puts it in the place I need to go. Mind you it's often by need, not want. That's how I ended up here."

Edited by ArchiosLukos

Sherlock valued this with curiosity, unsurprisingly understanding what Leftinant was saying. "It sounds as if your TARDIS is a living entity itself!" He murmured excitedly. "Upon necessity, your machine can locate when where you need to go!" It was funny to see Sherlock so excited, because it was so against his usually cold and silent personality. Inhaling a few times, he trned to admire the statue once again. "Fantastic! Amazing!"

She was going to protest her involvement in this situation, but then she heard the conditions. Much as she liked picking fights, there was always the unspoken rule that you have to win one in order to smartly start one. Not to mention the fact that there was something in the man's eyes that wasn't... human. She shook his hand regardless, wondering if she was the frog shaking hands with the scorpion. "...Noted." She said, moving away carefully. "I'll just assume you'll use the cheesy 'I'll find you when you need to report' line." With that she left, backing away and watching the other group, looking for a way to start in. She didn't feel good about this deal either, but hey, excitement was what she wished for. Wish granted. As she watched the other group, she watched as the suspiciously familiar man was amazed at the statue which the two were standing near. What was so amazing about that? Nothing, bird poop and granite.

She took her moment to creep around behind the two and waited for just a moment. Then, in a clear voice, she asked, "What is so amazing and fantastic?" The man was so familiar, and it was just on the tip of her tongue who he was... if only you could just google a face!

---(Left)---

"Of course he is." she said, rubbing the granite and cleaning off the minor imperfections in the stone. Already it had gotten a bit disgusting in places. "You've just-" she was interrupted. However, she didn't jump this time. It was another human, obviously attracted to the more than animated observations being made over here. "This, madame, is a memorial." She said, taking a step back and observing it as if she were some tourist type. She looked at the Gallifreyan text on the front and decided she could use it. "It's amazing, these carvings. No one knows what on earth they mean, am I right, Mr. Hudson?"

---(???)---

"I'll be watching you, Kara." He took several steps back and then walked away. He didn't need to watch her. Besides, his risk of being seen was higher the longer he lorded over everyone. The fact that no one had spotted him yet astounded the mind. Of course, he couldn't complain about that at all. He simply walked away and nobody seemed to notice when he altogether disappeared from in front of the museum. It can be speculated that maybe he walked inside or down the street a little ways, but no one can be absolutely certain.

Kara looked at the duo. then the carvings, then the duo again. "So what's it a memorial to? It must be fairly new because I've never seen it before." She asked, moving up to inspect the carvings. They were circular, like the inner workings of a clock. Each circle looked like a gear, a spring, or a something similar. She did wonder what they meant though, because it had to have meaning. No one just put random carvings in places for the heck of it. Besides, it had to be something fascinating besides. Then she turned to the man, and inspected him again. He was so familiar, like that one actor on TV, but the name of that actor escaping her mind. She'd seen him in the news before... something about murder?

Sherlock eyed Kara with a hint of disdain. He frowned slightly, crossing his arms. "That's what so fantastic about it, I don't know! The design is absolutely lovely, and the work is so intricate." he answered excitedly. It was hard to tell when he lied and when he didn't. His focus had been inturrupted when he thought a figure somewhere over on the steps of the musuem had moved, but paid it no mind. "I've always loved art and sculptures, though I am more than terrible at working with art,"

She pointed to Sherlock. "Exactly." and after a pause. "Not the you're terrible with art bit, just the... Anyway." she watched Kara to see if she was buying all of this. Maybe. No, she definitely believed it. Humans will believe anything, right? Well, she certainly hoped so. She motioned to the intricate 'design'. "It's probably something personal to the artist." It is something personal to the artist. She smiled pleasantly and folded her hands in front of her. "Probably just a personal interest thing or might have been dedicated or something."

Art? Wasn't there some big art case that some guy with cheekbones worked on? There was blog about him, Watson's blog? Then she realized they were still talking to her. Oh, something about it being personal to the artist. "The city sure works fast then. I'm kinda here a lot." Kara explained, turning to the woman. She was still trying to remember who exactly the man looked like. "Now, sir... you seem familiar. Can you tell me your name, I'm sorry, but it's been bothering me." Kara asked. She hoped that he wouldn't mind too much. It was just one of those things that would have bothered her if she didn't ask.

Dread crept up inside Sherlock, though his pleasant mask fidn't betray his emotions. He beamed, extending a hand to Kara. "John Hudson, it's a pleasure. And you are?" he asked pleasantly. A look at The Leftinant, and he put a hand on hos chest defensivley. "I'm not sure if you insulted me or not, so I'm going to say you didn't." A warm chuckle escaped him, even though it was so against his personality. Sherlock had plenty of time to learn how to avt and lie seamlessly.

She laughed right along with him. She imagined that they just looked intoxicated at this point. It was odd for her too to be this jubilant, though none of the people here could know that. She recognized the same thing in Sherlock. Though she didn't find it essential this name exchange was expected. However, she couldn't very well use Leftinant. There was the whole Leftinant who gag to deal with then. She'd come up with something quickly. "John is a friend of mine. We've recently started travelimg together. I'm from out of coumtry, you see." Now stop askimg questions and go away, she urged silently.

"Kara Nightly." She said figuring to give a false name, since she was sure that in order for 'Shady Man A' as she was calling him, figuring that she'd need more than one name for them. There could be more shady men. Like this one, John Hudson? She wished she could just search his face! This was driving her crazy. "All right then... are you guys here for the mummy? Because that's infinitely more interesting than a pigeon censorkip.gif covered statue." The girl clearly wanted her to go away. So she gave her a look that said fine. However, she couldn't leave without a potshot at the couple. "Make sure you two make it home first. Doing... it in public is against the law." Then she left, walking just far enough away to keep them in sight, but make it look like she was leaving.

Sherlock's pleasant look melted as she decided to depart with an insult. He whipped his head around to glare at the departing figure of Kara. "Yes, in fact. We here to visit the exhibit. I don't know what happened to you earlier today, Ms Nightly, but it's more than improper to comment on someone you just met. Oh, and by the way, it's obvious you weren't here to comment on a statue. What do you really want from us?" he hissed. "Because I have been fed up with dull people like you for much too long!" Well, there went his act. Ah well, he was a much faster runner than most people believed, so he could just make a break for it if she happened to put two and two together. Unfortunately for Sherlock, the hat that had covered his curly hair so nicely fell off when he jerked his head so suddenly.

Her face quickly dissolved into a hard displeased look. The time for gaiety was clearly over if it had ever truly began, which it hadn't. Here, the moral fiber of the species perfectly laid out. What a flippun' mess this was. It was only to assume that this woman had heard far to much at this point. Left felt that this was probably the time for Kara to run like hell, be beaten by two very angry people, or to be captured and confined into the smallest and most uncomfortable space available in the TARDIS, which was very small. She reached down for Sherlock's hat and brushed it off, beating the material against her pant leg. She held it out to him. "John..."

"Yes, uh, thank you." Sherlock muttered quickly. He snatched the hat back, and frantically placed it over his nest of dark curls. Hopefully nobody had seen. His face wasn't particukarly hard to remember, but recognition was almost instant if you added his curly hair. The detective's scorching aqua gaze didn't leave Kara for a long while, until he composed himself and began walking away. Screw adventures, he just wanted to get away from the stupidity of the average man.

---(Left)---

She hesitated and then followed him, scanning back towards Kara and watching her go down the street and fall deceivingly into stalking distance. Obviously she thought she could fool the three hundred year old soldier. Not fooled, just not caring. She stuffed her hands into her pockets and put her head down. You know, they really should be investigating pyramids and other things right now. However, curses would have to wait. There was a man to be further cheered before she could head off. "I don't know if you want me following you, but that cheeky brunette sure will." she said softly, perhaps apologetically as well. "I understand, you know."

---(???)---

It was only a moment and he was back again, surprised at the punctual ending to what was either the most successful intelligence gathering session known to man or one of the most dismal failures. He looked around the corner of the stairs to see Kara there and The Leftinant far off in the distance. He quickly withdrew his head in case she saw him, but both she and her most recent prey were rather far off at that point. He emerged behind Kara and put an arm on her shoulder leaning forward to watch the others go. "I suppose you found out why they were here, did you?"

Edited by ArchiosLukos

((Merp. I was gonna wait for Rain, but she doesn't seem to be posting.))

Sherlock stiffened at the sound of Leftinant's voice behind him. He was just feeling so upset-anyone around him could be the victim of his lashings. Unable to refrain himself, he kept walking, not acknowledging her. "Understand?! No one understands. Years of being called a freak, a psychopath, a man who murders people only to find some way to solve it in some other way. I am just tired of people unable to comprehend that I'm not a fake." he hissed. Stopping abruptly, he turned around to look at The Leftinant. "They decide to call me a killer, or an emotionless freak. Insult me because I'm different."

((OOOOH you know what would be awesome? If Sherlock was actually a Timelord, and his watch is back at the flat...))

((I've seen her stalking a bit. This episode is going to start to wrap up now that almost all of us have a lead to follow. I fully condone Timelord-ism.))

She put her hands in her pockets and watched him silently. This exact conversation. She had almost this exact conversation before with someone she used to hold dear. He was far gone now. That tallness and those dark curls almost made her wonder if it was him. However, that would be impossible. His skin was too light, and the eyes weren't the right color. Eyes were always a dead giveaway. Sherlock did have very old eyes though. They were intelligent and had obviously seen a lot, a lot for a human certainly. "I had a friend like you once. He is now one of my bitterest enemies and do you know why? He stood where you stood and said the words you are at this very moment saying. I don't want you to end up like him. Insane." her tongue passed over a pair of now very dry lips. "You're a great man Sherlock, and that's a lot for me to be saying about a human. You listen to them and you're done for. There is nothing you, I, or anyone else will be able to do for you at that point."

Sherlock chuckled to himself a bit. So, this woman actually cared? It sort of...touched him. Having a friend again was pretty nice. "Oh, trust me, I should probably be insane by now. I don't believe that will happen anytime soon. I'm sorry for upsetting you like this." He apologized. A small sigh escaped him, but he seemed to feel better knowing The Leftinant was concerned for him. "Now then, I suppose we should investigate this excavation sight. After all, this is a mystery worth solving."

((Found this: "Gallifreyans could sense the presence of others of their own species, with the sense being specific enough to allow identification of one another just by sight, regardless of potential recent regeneration." So, she would know about you being a timelord. *cue dramatic music*

edit: Might know anyway.))

The slight crease marks between her brows intensified and she frowned, turning right back around towards her ship. She stopped when she saw a strikingly familiar looking man in what she had always described as being a 'butler's outfit'. Her posture stiffened and an involuntary surge of loathing came over her, bringing a small amount of sweat to her forehead with it. She didn't have time to deal with this. It seemed like he had seen her too as he was looking in her direction. The corner of her mouth twitched "I'm sure we'll find it out quickly." she muttered, walking forward quickly.

Edited by ArchiosLukos

((OOOH, that'd be good. Yup. Sherlock's going to be a timelord.))

Sherlock's gaze darted to where Leftinant was looking, his eyes narrowing slightly. All he saw was a man, but whoever it was seemed to upset her. Deciding not to ask, he paused. "Before we head off, do you mind if you can run me back to my old flat? My coat and scarf are there, and there's no telling how long I may be." A small smile flickered on his features, though it was just as awkward as his very few smiles.

Edited by shadow_claw

[This will get very interesting.... am I to assume there'll be 3 TARDIS's dancing around in the future? Or has Sherlock's TARDIS died/disappeared/been decommissioned in some way?]

((It's lost somewhere on Earth, blended in perfectly. He'll probably find it later along the plotline.))