Takhesis

Exalted:End of an Era

((Would the barracks even have windows on the outside of the compound? That strikes me as a major security issue. I understand that we need a way to bring Gildraug's character to the group though, so I'm willing to suspend my disbelief here. But as a possible alternative, maybe Eleneril could ask around for people fitting the descriptions she's looking for? We made a rather big entry into Nexus, so someone is sure to remember the group and point her to the barracks.

Wat do you all think?

/.02))

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

[Hmmm - perhaps she saw Pheonix, Hanzo and Web crossing the courtyard between the buildings rather than through a window?

Which would still provide an opening for either one of the mercenary guards to see Eleneril 'lurking' nearby or for Mia to return and Eleneril to slip in with her?

After all, the guards would recognise Mia and assume Eleneril was one of the group/at least known to them as a non-threat.

Though Risa will likely chew out the guard in question for that assumption xd.png]

((Sounds good, I shall make edits!

EDIT: Oh wait, I think I won't quite yet, since the matter is not decided yet :'D))

Edited by Gildraug

[Hmmm - perhaps she saw Pheonix, Hanzo and Web crossing the courtyard between the buildings rather than through a window?]

((I thought the compound was walled off? So that would raise the same problem: how do you see through a wall? If we want to go with Eleneril somehow spotting them, I'd say go back to the initial window idea, but make it veeeery small and unopenable. Basically it's just a small hole to let sunlight in. The odds of spotting them through it are still pretty small, but if the 'ask around and get directions' idea is out, a tiny window makes more sense than the Bronze Tigers having an open courtyard imo.))

[The gate is not a wall - which would still present the problem of guards but....]

((I still had the mental image of Eleneril passing the building on the side, as with the inn-search description. Hence translating that to the side of the compound, where we have a wall xd.png. If she passes at the front, there'd be a gate indeed. That'd work.

I doubt she could sneak in with Mia unnoticed, as that girl is pretty perceptive. However, she might be persuaded to let Eleneril sneak in with her, if the latter gives a compelling reason. I could have MIa return to the compound timed with Eleneril? I'm also fine with Eleneril making her own way past the guards though. Gildraug, do you have a preference?))

((Anything is fine for me biggrin.gif I can edit my post to fit whatever is seen for the best.))

((personally I would prefer the scenario where Eleneril spots Pheonix, Web and Hanzo through the open (but guarded) gates of the military compound. How she will reach them or attrackt their attention is up to Gildraug. I assume Eleneril knows something about the people she is looking for, since she is looking for them smile.gif She can use that knowledge, for instance. Anyway, Gildraug, could you tell us what has your preference? It is your post, after all.))

The trio was walking briskly across the yard and panic rippled through Eleneril. She couldn't afford to lose them! All sense and carefulness left her when the fear of losing her target gripped her. The guards most certainly wouldn't let her go in, so how could she attract their attention? Every second was painfully long as Eleneril debated what to do. Finally, ignoring the guards, she waved her hand and yelled: "Wait! Please!"

While they were making their way to the Lookshyan barrack, Hanzo noticed a shout coming from just outside the gates to the Bronze Tiger compound. As a reflex he looked towards the source of the sound and saw a pale young woman, with short blonde hair, waving at them. At him! His curiosity was piqued and he respectfully informed the Captain that he was going to see who was calling for them. "You go on to the Commander, sir. She is expecting you."

As he made his way to the gates, he saw that the guards were already stepping in the way to block this unknown person's view of the compound grounds and sternly turn her away.

"Please." he said as he approached the scene of the young woman and the guards trying to send her off. "Let her speak."

"Please. Let her speak," a somewhat short man with a proud stance and blue-tinted black hair approached Eleneril and the guards, who had stopped her immediately after she had called out after the group. The guards gave a respectful nod to him, but still prevented Eleneril from entering the yard, eying her suspiciously.

Eleneril bowed deeply and sighed with relief at his words.

"I thank you for your kindness to hear me. However, what I have to tell is of utmost secrecy, information for which I have traveled long and far, fearing of pursuers every waking moment. I lost your trail twice, but it seems fate has finally smiled upon me and allowing me to find you in this most particular event. Even so, this information I carry cannot be told where malicious ears might hear," at this, she glanced meaningfully at the guards who stared coldly back, daring her to question their loyalty. A wave of calmness washed Eleneril even as she spoke. She was sure of it, now. All of this running and hiding, it hadn't been for nothing.

Hanzo recognized the calmness that came with the completion of a difficult task.

His mind worked fast.

This woman had been tracking them for some time? Had she followed them through the underworld? Or had she been truly fortuitous in finding them after they had disappeared from the ruins of Lookshy?

Another thought came to him: what if she was looking for someone else? Was he entitled to this secret information? Should he do the honourable thing and tell her of the possibility of mistaken identity?

An invincible feeling came over him. He *was* a Solar. That entitled him to all the knowledge in creation.

He looked at the young woman sternly and decided to give her one chance. "Are you sure I am the one you are looking for?"

Mia returned to the compound laden with fruit, spicy bread and an assortment of teas. By now it was dark, but that didn't bother her. After all, what was an eclipse but a sunless day? To her, night felt just as comfortable as day, despite the horrors it held.

As she drew near, she saw a white-haired woman talking to Hanzo. She stopped when she saw how pale the woman was. While pale skin in and of itself wasn't a bad sign - Mia's Northern home certainly had its fair share of pale people - it did add up with the white hair. Letting her senses expand, the Solar looked at the woman and then looked.

((Gildraug, is there anything about Eleneril that holds a touch of the grave? Ghost-blood in her lineage, ties to the Lord of Death, that sort of thing?))

((No, Eleneril has nothing to do with the Lord of the Death or any that sort of things. She has some information for the group, but alas, I lost the message with the info while cleaning my inbox, and am now awaiting for Takhesis's reply))

After scrutinizing the scene - and newcomer - at the gate for a few moments, Mia resumed her pace.

"Evening Chief," she greeted Hanzo while nodding politely to the guards as they moved aside to let her pass.

"Care to introduce me to your visitor?" even balancing two arms full of produce, young Mia exuded an air of friendly grace. In truth, she was more than a little surprised at a visitor in the middle of the night, but she figured there was a reason for it.

Hanzo looked up at the newest addition to their group and gave her a friendly nod of recognition. The Northern woman was carrying what looked like every local fruit and every sort of spiced bread the Nexian markets had to offer, together with a bag of mystery packages. He reigned in his wandering mind and focussed on the question at hand.

He shrugged apologetically. "I would love to, but we have not been properly introduced. I'm not even sure yet she is looking for us."

His last statement was more of a question, aimed at the mystery woman at the gates.

The guards rolled their eyes.

Foreigners!

Edited by Biologist

"Sounds like a bit of a mystery then," Mia replied pleasantly. If she was disconcerted by an unknown visitor, she certainly didn't show it.

Expertly balancing her groceries, she turned to the silver-haired woman and bowed. "I am Mia of the North. Might I inquire who you are?"

((Gildraug, did you get that ic message back yet?))

[Just replied - my net was not co-operating with me the past week... sad.gif I'm assuming Pheonix and Web continued on to the main barracks since Pheonix was summoned by her Commander.]

((Bump smile.gif.

Gildraug, I think Hanzo and Mia are both waiting for Eleneril to tell them how/why she's looking for them smile.gif.

Takhesis, shall I make a Shaya post that assumed Phoenix and Web have arrived, or did you want to make a 'they enter post' before?))

[You can assume my characters entered - even if Pheonix was curious about the commotion at the gate, she wouldn't ignore an implied order (the summons). And Web probably knows her nature might make things worse at the gate - after all the guards would still look askance at her even if she is a guest.]

Shaya looked up as Pheonix and Web entered. She didn't see Hanzo though. Did that mean it was a coincidence that Pheonix arrived after Hanzo went to find her, or that the engineer had decided to remain in the mess hall - probably to make more tea. Not that it mattered - between the walls and the Bronze Tigers, she didn't have to worry about her unit's safety for once.

"Captain, there's something I'd like to discuss with you," Shaya said as she rose from the small table. "Web, if you would wait here."

With that, she led Pheonix to the tiny bedroom where Silune was still waiting. Realizing that Pheonix' might understandably mistake the Lunar's presence for an ambush, Shaya made sure to enter the room first.

"She's here with permission," she even managed to get out before Pheonix or Silune could go at each other.

Web inclined her head in acknowledgement of the request, and merely placed the papers she'd been carrying on the small table Shaya had recently vacated. It made it easier to organise, Web figured that Shaya would want a plan of travel presented sooner rather than later - so she made that her task while Pheonix followed Shaya into the bedroom.

Curious, Pheonix followed her Commander into the smaller room that currently served as Shaya's bedroom.

It wasn't long before her curiosity had an answer, there was another in the room waiting for them. One that Shaya seemed to expect Pheonix to react badly to... if her words and stance were anything to go by.

Considering that the few she would react badly to on first meeting were Lunars, Abyssals and Wood/Water aspects.... well maybe that was considerably more than a few. Pheonix mentally ticked off the options, not wearing very dark colours - so unlikely Abyssal, no Jade of any colour - rules out Dragonblood... most likely a Lunar...

While she was assessing Silune, she asked;

"Another unexpected recruit?"

She was trying to control her standard reaction, but the effort was probably visible to both.

[Pheonix's military backround is probably the only thing that is stopping any overt hostility tongue.gif]

Edited by Takhesis

Silune watched Shaya enter, followed by the Dragonblooded woman she recognised from the fight at the mansion.

She tried to hide her distaste for the Terrestrial and remained silent, observing the interaction between the Solar and the Dragonblood, like a jungle cat observing its prey.

She didn't like the tone of voice with which the 'Captain' dismissed her as 'Another unexpected recruit'. The disdain she percieved in those words infuriated her.

'Another unexpected recruit'? She could have said 'another useless stray' and she would have been more honest. This rabble isn't worthy of serving as the second-in-command to a Solar. You should punish this insolent woman by ripping out her throat!

Keeping her breathing steady, she watched with cold eyes, waiting for Shaya to introduce her 'Captain' to her.

She would prove her superiority by simply breathing.

She wasn't going to be the one who would escalate this situation.

Not with a Solar present.

Shaya was not exactly a delicate social flower, but even she could feel the rising tension in the room. Well, that was to be expected. Pheonix wasn't stupid and she did not like Lunars, while Silune didn't seem to harbor any love for Dragon Blooded.

"Captain, this is Silune. She is the one who tried to assassinate us on Lenco's behalf, though she has changed her mind about working for him since. She is also a Chosen of Luna. More importantly, she has first-hand knowledge of the East and has offered to accompany us on our journey. I've taken her up on that."

She left a few things unsaid - the first being that she hadn't told Silune the nature of their mission, the second that she'd prefer to keep the Lunar close one way or another - but that would have to wait until they were alone.

The other introduction was less complicated - she hoped. "Silune, this is Captain Pheonix, my second in command."

Not much else was needed, she felt. This was a military unit and if Silune wished to join her, she'd have to acknowledge the chain of command.