blackdragon71

Writing Contest #4: A Walk With...

This challenge is to choose someone that you have always wanted to learn about, and get into their heads while they tell you about their world. For example: My main area of historical interest is Roman Britain. Since the historian Tacitus (a Roman man) felt that Boudicca's revolt was worth a mention in his Annals, well, I would love to take a walk with her and find out what her world and her motivations were from her standpoint, rather than a second-hand account no doubt given by Agricola (who was present during that time, and was the father-in-law of Tacitus). How about you? Who would you walk with for a while and what would they tell you?

Here are the basic rules of this contest:

1) Let's do this essay length- between 1000-2500 words.

2) Keep it PG-13, please.

3) The usual formats are acceptable (Google docs, Figment, Pastebin, et al). Make sure to link them in your post!

4) If you want to participate, please bold your post in blue and say, "I want to participate!"

Deadline is 12 a.m., EST, January 29.

Edited by blackdragon71

Yeah, I'm going to have to pass on this topic as well.

In general, those moments that I personally consider life-changing have not been especially pleasant and I'd prefer not to re-hash them for public consumption. And the one major exception that was a good one, becoming a mother... well, I don't think a blow-by-blow of labor and a Cesarian section as seen through the anesthetic haze nearly 13 years ago is a good topic either.

Okay, then. How about we try a different tack, then.

Lemme think on this while I'm at work this afternoon, and I'll come back and post a new idea.

Okay, the first post has been adjusted with a different challenge. No focus on the writer this time. My apologies to everyone for the previous topic. Hopefully you'll find this one less invasive.

This challenge seems like a History Homework assignment.....

It never said it had to be an essay. Sure, that's one option you could choose, but there's also the option of doing a historical fiction piece from the eyes of a famous individual... or someone not famous. All it says is "someone you've always wanted to learn about." That seriously could be something as simple as asking a relative about something that happened in their life and retelling it from their point of view. I don't see an issue with it myself ^^ It's a different form of writing, but still perfectly legitimate.

Edited by Walker

It never said it had to be an essay. Sure, that's one option you could choose, but there's also the option of doing a historical fiction piece from the eyes of a famous individual... or someone not famous. All it says is "someone you've always wanted to learn about." That seriously could be something as simple as asking a relative about something that happened in their life and retelling it from their point of view. I don't see an issue with it myself ^^ It's a different form of writing, but still perfectly legitimate.

I refer you to point one of the Rules.

Sounds like an essay to me...

How 'bout: "Let's make this piece between 1000-2500 words- period." xd.png

And Walker read my mind. It's not a homework assignment, and historical fiction would be just fine by me if someone wanted to take that direction. What about being someone's biographer with this?

I refer you to point one of the Rules.

Sounds like an essay to me...

Essay length is quite different from an actual essay tongue.gif It's a guideline for how long.

You could do an essay if you wanted.

Or historical fiction.

Or you could sit down and write a pretend interview with this person.

Seriously, writing is a varied and wide genre. It's actually neat to a see writing contest not focused specifically on the more common fiction genres. There will be other contests, but I think it's perfectly okay to do something more unusual for one.

@Walker

Essay length pieces have always been my Achilles Heel. I always flunked exams that required essay-style answers.

@blackdragon

I believe I will sit this one out, unless the Inspiration Bolt hits me hard enough to fry my brain.

(Gah stupid typos)

Edited by Takhesis

Consider my interest piqued. Does this person you're 'talking' with have to be a real historical figure? For example if I wanted to... I dunno.... have a conversation with Athena, Goddess of Wisdom, could I write that?

As long as it's historically based, that's fine. Some folks don't believe in the Christian God or Jesus, but if they were to choose either as their walking partner, I'd be fine with that, too, if it were done respectfully and with thought. I'm even all right with a contemporary person, with the previous request in place.

What I'd like to see is how our fine writers (and we have some very fine writers in this group) stretch beyond fanfic and challenge their comfort zones. Fanfic is fun, but it's really just working off someone else's base idea, and my feeling about it is that it should only be a means to the end of honing one's storytelling abilities and the mechanics of writing. If people want to just write fanfic and have others judge that, then the contest needs to be renamed.

What I'd like to see is how our fine writers (and we have some very fine writers in this group) stretch beyond fanfic and challenge their comfort zones. Fanfic is fun, but it's really just working off someone else's base idea, and my feeling about it is that it should only be a means to the end of honing one's storytelling abilities and the mechanics of writing. If people want to just write fanfic and have others judge that, then the contest needs to be renamed.

Contest 2 was a poetry competition.

2 out 3 total competitions (so far) being fanfiction doesn't indicate that a renaming is nessessary. If it was 100% fanfiction challenges then yes it would need renaming.

Honestly it was my school teachers (both History and English) that drained my enthusiasm for creative writing of any sort for about 5 years. Ick just thinking about that time is making my muse pack for a long vacation.

Contest 2 was a poetry competition.

2 out 3 total competitions (so far) being fanfiction doesn't indicate that a renaming is nessessary. If it was 100% fanfiction challenges then yes it would need renaming.

Honestly it was my school teachers (both History and English) that drained my enthusiasm for creative writing of any sort for about 5 years. Ick just thinking about that time is making my muse pack for a long vacation.

Not every writing contest people will decide to host will suit what you're used to. We all have strengths and weaknesses. Still, I think it's worth letting stick around. If you can't participate in this round, there's always the next. wink.gif

No. It's only essay length (1000-2500 words), rather than an essay as such. So formal 'styles' don't matter, so much as what you do with the topic. I wouldn't even care about length, but since we do have a deadline and no one has time to read NaNo requirements, well, there you go. I'd rather you just have fun with this and take up the challenge.

Edited because my grammar/punctuation sucked. xd.png

Edited by blackdragon71

Ah well, I was going to select my main character from my own book (not yet published) for the ol' walk 'n talk. But, now I'll have to carefully consider. Historical fiction is something I seldom venture in.

blink.gif I'll just pretend I didn't read that the way it sounded.

Seriously, I think some folks are making this harder than it actually is. But I hope that some are giving themselves the time (the 29th is still 11 days away) to take up the challenge and see what they do with it. I was scared to death of the themed poetry contest, but I thought, "What the heck? I'll just use it as a way of honing my haibun (Japanese prose/haiku hybrid) skills." I'd like to think that some just haven't posted because they're not done yet.

If I get a little time this weekend, I'll post something myself (though not for judging), and see if that sparks a few ideas for those who aren't sure what to do with this.

Just a quick reminder: January 29 starts tonight at midnight, EST (cave time). I haven't had time to write something up, and probably won't tonight, either, since I have had RL stuff keep me busy. If we need an extension on this thing until let's say...Sunday, February 3, let me know here in the thread for those that still want to participate but have been busy.