athdaraxen

Tapatalk?

I don't know how many of you know about Tapatalk but its an app that allows super easy access to almost any forum it supports and just so happens it supports Invision Power Board.

http://www.tapatalk.com/

Its free for the forum admin (TJ) to set up (they do have paid options but are mostly for making your own forum app using there code/tech stuff) but the app itself cost $2.99. The app is iPhones, iPads, Android phones, Blackberries, and Chrome.

Personally I browse a ton of forums and before it was pointless to try to be on them on my phone, but this changed everything, it makes it easy to reply to threads and PMs and you can have it have notifications to threads you follow and PMs. Its a fantastic tool for those who are on forums a lot.

I just figured it wouldn't hurt to ask if we could get the forums set up with this, apparently it takes no time to do so but I don't own a forum so I don't know.

(I did stick this in the right forum? Wasn't really sure where to throw this out)

And for those curious here are the link to it in the Google Play Store. tongue.gif

Google:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?...251bGwsMSwyLDNd

Edited by athdaraxen

I'd like this. I'm always on my iPod browsing things, and since it's free for TJ I think it's a pretty good idea! I'm up for it smile.gif

If you look at the bottom of the page you see that this forum is version 1.3

Does this program support version 1.3?

From what I see in the FAQ's it does not. I didn't even think to look.

So I guess that failed. :/

I mean unless there is something being made in the developer's forum. Once a forum admin creates a login they have access to the Tapatalk API. Maybe somebody out there has developed a plugin to use on older versions of boards.

Just found this...

http://support.tapatalk.com/threads/hello-...-question.4669/

Edited by athdaraxen

after looking around, there is no way to support invisionfree as it uses Invision Power Board 1.3 from 2003 and that is not supported by tapatalk.

seems it might not work for us sad.gif

*casts ressurection on thread with a hopeful poke*

this is too bad. i use tapatalk a lot being on the road and such...

part of the reason i'm really a poor forum participant. sad.gif

There is not much point in bumping this IMO.

The app in question does not support the forum software that this forum is using (IPB 1.3), which the only possible solutions are either Tapatalk updating itself to support IPB 1.3 (unlikly, and in any case should be suggested to Tapatalk), or TJ updating the forum software.

Unless either of the above is achieved, this suggestion is literally impossible.

And just a heads up - the latest version of invision is truly horrible, not least because you cannot archive messages. I also have an android, and I'd rather miss out on tapatalk than switch to invision 3. The forum I am on that upgraded to it regretted it at once and were not allowed to go back.

The forum I am on that upgraded to it regretted it at once and were not allowed to go back.

While I readily believe you that newer software versions often make things worse, that second bit is utter nonsense/fiction.

You buy a software, you can use it as long as you like. There have to be other factors at work there, not related to the make of invision, IPS.

)Whitebaron, I imagine a rollback from the upgrade would have caused issues, if it was even feasible without doing a wipe and reinstalling the earlier software, if they even had the installation stuff available.)

Point is, while I think TJ may have considered upgrades in the past, I don't know whether he's committed to doing them.

While I readily believe you that newer software versions often make things worse, that second bit is utter nonsense/fiction.

You buy a software, you can use it as long as you like. There have to be other factors at work there, not related to the make of invision, IPS.

If you buy in to online forum software and upgrade under their arrangements you may very well have no way to go back. You may call it nonsense/fiction, but it is the case. The admins - who do actually include a professional programmer, but she has a proper job and hasn't the time to faff around tweaking anything that can be tweaked - asked repeatedly - but invision just said no. In fact there is a post from TJ, way back, when I was asking about this, which said specifically that if there were no way to archive messages or a couple of the other disadvantages I mentioned, he wouldn't be upgrading unless and until he could find a workaround.

You don't necessarily get to keep the other versions on your own server, and even if you did, it wouldn't surprise me if invision had rigged things. This stuff CERTAINLY applies to other areas like yahoo mail, which is now well screed, and as for yahoo groups =- there are forums with thousands of posts begging for it all to revert - including from those who had bought into the "superior" versions..

)Whitebaron, I imagine a rollback from the upgrade would have caused issues, if it was even feasible without doing a wipe and reinstalling the earlier software, if they even had the installation stuff available.)

yes, thats always a possibility, but thats far from "not being allowed" by the vendor.

@fuzz: well, thats an entirely different beast with yahoo, as you are buying their online services, not a specific software. Any vendor refusing to let you keep your old version is on a very slippery slope and on a good way to lose various court cases. And that's speaking european law, where a lot less "stupidity" is possible.

yes, thats always a possibility, but thats far from "not being allowed" by the vendor.

@fuzz: well, thats an entirely different beast with yahoo, as you are buying their online services, not a specific software. Any vendor refusing to let you keep your old version is on a very slippery slope and on a good way to lose various court cases. And that's speaking european law, where a lot less "stupidity" is possible.

I'm in Europe too, you know...

Well, if this forum is ever supported, I would love to see this implemented. Doesn't really affect me but I know a lot of users have a hard time on their mobile devices.

I do, and I would use this App if it worked for our forum. It's hard to browse here on my tiny phone, having to resize the screen when I want to use a link or click on something. The size of the ads don't help either when they take up 45% of my screen.